• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back from FW

MickeyFlirt

Mouseketeer
We just returned from a quick, last minute weekend trip from FW in our TT. We didn't even go to the parks just enjoyed our time at the Fort, Heck we go to the parks all the time. I am from FLorida about 2 hrs from WDW so I should be use to thunderstorms but the one Saturday night took us by surprise, and lightnening struck a tree about 5 ft from our TT that got everyones attention. A CM was at our campsite early Sunday morning making sure us and our TT were OK. He said the tents got flooded. There was a tent down from us that was full of water. We had a great time stayed in loop 1400, wonderful. Going back in July for a week.

Glad everyone was ok! That would have scared me. We live in WI and get some wicked thunderstorms, but I still hate them.

How do you like the 1400 loop? We are going for the 1st time in 25 days :cool1: and we have requested the 1400 loop.

:wizard: Beth

We were there also this weekend and that was some kind of storm. It was our first trip in our new pop-up so the family and I were VERY glad we weren't in our tent. We live about 20 minutes from FW by the Airport and had the joy of coming home and opening the camper to dry the tenting out. It was worth it though.

We were in the 1100 loop and did see a few tents that got water logged. We normally stay in the 1400's but only Full Hook up was available when we made our reservations. The 1400 is great since it is convenient to the Meadows Pool, Recreation Area, Campfire Program and the Meadows Trading Post.

Befferk said:
Glad everyone was ok! That would have scared me. We live in WI and get some wicked thunderstorms, but I still hate them.

How do you like the 1400 loop? We are going for the 1st time in 25 days :cool1: and we have requested the 1400 loop.

:wizard: Beth

It was our first time in 1400 loop and we loved it. We are requesting to stay in that loop again in July.

We were also there in our trailer during that storm. We had a strike close enough that it popped open one of the doors on cabinet above the bed! 3 year old grandson was not happy about 'thunder coming to Mickey Mouse'!!

It was our first stay in the the 700 loop. We live in St. Pete and also ended up there for a long weekend. Our seasonal pass went into blackout on Saturday, but that gave us a good reason to just enjoy a day at the Fort!!!

We were there too! In loop 1500. My husband kept obsessing through the storm. First he wanted to leave. But he didin't know where we would go. Then he kept using his flashlight to check for leaks. I asked what he would do if he found one and he said "I don't know". To which I said, "Then go back to sleep!" Every time he got up and down he rocked the air mattress and woke me up. lol. Our 3 yr old slept through the whole thing.

Luckily our tent only had one small leak. Only one sheet got wet. But hubby put an extra tarp over the tent when the rain first started. Many neighbors had very wet tents. On the larger tents that aren't for serious hikers, they freqently only have rain flys that cover only the very top of the tent and do not cover the entire sides. Thats why they leak and flood. Its always a good idea to hang a tarp over your tent (with ropes and poles) or at least have one handy to throw over it in the event of heavy rain. Luckily it wasn't windy and our tarp stayed on.

I always travel with ear plugs, but they were no match for all of that thunder and pounding rain. Its quite a night when you have to use your eye mask to block the light from lighting strikes every 5 seconds. Boy was I was tired the next day! What an expereience.

:smooth:
MickeyFlirt said:
We just returned from a quick, last minute weekend trip from FW in our TT. We didn't even go to the parks just enjoyed our time at the Fort, Heck we go to the parks all the time. I am from FLorida about 2 hrs from WDW so I should be use to thunderstorms but the one Saturday night took us by surprise, and lightnening struck a tree about 5 ft from our TT that got everyones attention. A CM was at our campsite early Sunday morning making sure us and our TT were OK. He said the tents got flooded. There was a tent down from us that was full of water. We had a great time stayed in loop 1400, wonderful. Going back in July for a week.
WOW we were there in march and had a good time in the cabins, but were going back june 3-11 with all the family . getting two cabins this time hope not to get thunderstorms ,but you know this is florida. :crazy: :furious: I live only 3 hours away so we come to disney almost every other month. :wave2:

We were there during the storm too. It was our 1st night ever at FW and our 1st time tenting in years. What a way to start!!
DD8 slept through the thunder and lightning, but the little drip, drip, drip on her head woke her up :rolleyes:
We only had a couple of small leaks.

Fortunately, the other 7 nights were comfortable and uneventful. A CM told me that it had been 40 days since it had rained in Orlando.
DD told the CM that she felt like Noah in reverse and she didn't want to get leaked on again!

Would I go through it again? You bet!!!!! (But I'd probably wait out the storm in our van, or the bath house, or a neighboring RV, or a motel, or....... :) )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter