• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back from Fantasy - wow!

This just goes to prove that there are as many opinions as there are people. Having been to both Grand Cayman and Costa Maya we always found good safe things to do.

As for seeing armed guards around the port, this is one person's armed fortress and another person secure port area, just like any area around an airport or port facility in the USA - there are armed police and security guards everywhere.

At Grand Cayman the turtle farm and the dolphin experience right across the street from each other are really fun, and you can just take a taxi to and from - you do not have to do the DCL excursion which is much more expensive.

We had a great shopping experience in Costa Maya, much less pressure and better pricing than the other ports. And the locals were awesome in their hospitality!

So that said to each their own - there is no reason to disagree - just state your opinion and let others state theirs and then everyone gets good information from a varied view point!

We stopped in GC on our first cruise with DS who was 4 at the time. In the morning we just strolled a bit, then discovered Margaritaville and DS was delighted to find they had a pool on the roof. Ordered a couple of margaritas, a juice and a plate of tortilla chips and dips and spent a very relaxing hour and a half sat by or in the pool. Left at lunchtime when it started to get busy for our semi-submersible trip which was a short walk from the dock. DS loved this, especially when the diver got out and fed the fish right next to the boat! Then walked back to the ship for a very late lunch. No need for any transport at all.

Just got off this cruise myself - DH, DS13 and I had a blast

We had been to Grand Cayman before and had done the Stingray City, Turtle farm tour and this time just got on the island on our own. There are plenty of ideas of what to do there on your own on this board.

Costa Maya was a first for us and we had the best time! They had just been hit with a hurricane 15 days before our visit - a direct hit - and the place looked pretty good all things considered. It was their slow season so many of their near-the-port things weren't open. We did the Segway Tour and I haven't laughed so hard in a while - it was a lot of fun. As for the armed guards and security zone - like a previous poster said it was there - but everyone has their own comfort level - it actually seemed LESS secure than the home port for Disney - no xrays to get back into the port area - I flashed my room card from a distance. Getting out there was a military official from the Governers office and a military man with a large weapon - but far less than I see every day going through Penn Station... but I can see how it may seem intimidating to someone not used to it. The Segway tour took us along streets near the port to the beach area in Mahaual (spelling?) a lovely litting beach with shops and crafts and restaurants... we could have walked it if we'd wanted to - but the Segways were much more fun. We didn't get to do the entire tour as the area we were to go along was washed out from the hurrican. We did get to use the Segways to return instead of cabs - I would highly recommend this excursion - it's a change of pace from your typical island tour.

We'd been to Cozumel before and had booked a day at Nachi Cocum on our own... it's a beach club that allows only 100 people a day in. Quiet and restful.

The whole week was a lot less hectic than our previous cruise on the MAgic where we tried to do everything - we booked an Eastern on the Fantasy while on board for August 2013... so we'll get to do what we missed when we go back.

Thanks for your thoughts on the Western as we leave in a month. We have done the Western Itinerary before, but on the Magic so Costa Maya is a new port for us. We went to Key West previously on Disney and did another western on RCL.

Armed Guards at ports are a normal thing, at least that I have found on my past 15 or so cruises. But you are obviously allowed to have your own thoughts. I have seen them before in both Cozumel and Grand Cayman, maybe they weren't as noticeable? Definitely have seen them in the Bahamas and Jamaica.

We are sailing with our 15 month old and I am ok with her not being in a car seat for the excursions that we have booked. I have read other reports where people had brought their own carseats, but I am ok with her going with out it. Again, this is a parents perogative.

Grand Cayman has beautiful beaches. We have gone to 7 mile beach before and now we do a private excursion with a gentleman that has his own boat. I can't wait to take my daughter to stingray city and starfish beach.

In Cozumel there are several beach clubs that stretch down the shoreline. We have a favorite that we like to go to, Naichi Cocum, after having tried a few that we didn't care as much for.

I am bummed by the shortened port time in Costa Maya as I really feel like it makes it so excursion prohibited but have read really good reviews on a beach club there run by an American, can't remember the name of it. But, since all of our other ports are so beach and water intensive we are using this day to shop and spend more time on the ship.

I do think your feedback from the activities was good and I am hoping you shared that on your comment card. On our last two Dream cruises we did notice how LONG the lines for the characters were. Really LONG! We never really paid attention to that before having our daughter!

We stopped in GC on our first cruise with DS who was 4 at the time. In the morning we just strolled a bit, then discovered Margaritaville and DS was delighted to find they had a pool on the roof. Ordered a couple of margaritas, a juice and a plate of tortilla chips and dips and spent a very relaxing hour and a half sat by or in the pool. Left at lunchtime when it started to get busy for our semi-submersible trip which was a short walk from the dock. DS loved this, especially when the diver got out and fed the fish right next to the boat! Then walked back to the ship for a very late lunch. No need for any transport at all.

We saw Margaritaville, but we don't drink and don't eat food while in port, so we skipped it. Sounds like you had fun!

Did you do the submarine tour? We walked into the office, but the person in there was a bit overwhelmed by guests asking questions, so we left. We did this in Hawaii, and liked it. And we are considering it for a future cruise.

Thanks for the feedback!

Just got off this cruise myself - DH, DS13 and I had a blast

We had been to Grand Cayman before and had done the Stingray City, Turtle farm tour and this time just got on the island on our own. There are plenty of ideas of what to do there on your own on this board.

Costa Maya was a first for us and we had the best time! They had just been hit with a hurricane 15 days before our visit - a direct hit - and the place looked pretty good all things considered. It was their slow season so many of their near-the-port things weren't open. We did the Segway Tour and I haven't laughed so hard in a while - it was a lot of fun. As for the armed guards and security zone - like a previous poster said it was there - but everyone has their own comfort level - it actually seemed LESS secure than the home port for Disney - no xrays to get back into the port area - I flashed my room card from a distance. Getting out there was a military official from the Governers office and a military man with a large weapon - but far less than I see every day going through Penn Station... but I can see how it may seem intimidating to someone not used to it. The Segway tour took us along streets near the port to the beach area in Mahaual (spelling?) a lovely litting beach with shops and crafts and restaurants... we could have walked it if we'd wanted to - but the Segways were much more fun. We didn't get to do the entire tour as the area we were to go along was washed out from the hurrican. We did get to use the Segways to return instead of cabs - I would highly recommend this excursion - it's a change of pace from your typical island tour.

We'd been to Cozumel before and had booked a day at Nachi Cocum on our own... it's a beach club that allows only 100 people a day in. Quiet and restful.

The whole week was a lot less hectic than our previous cruise on the MAgic where we tried to do everything - we booked an Eastern on the Fantasy while on board for August 2013... so we'll get to do what we missed when we go back.

We felt like the week wasn't so hectic at all either - it was very relaxing! Glad you had fun!

We will definitely do Stingray City next trip as our little guy will be older. Have heard good things about it. Thanks for that feedback!

We had fun exploring the shops in Cozumel and taking photos of the ship. We bought some beautiful silver jewelry too! The people were so friendly and welcoming!

Thanks for your thoughts on the Western as we leave in a month. We have done the Western Itinerary before, but on the Magic so Costa Maya is a new port for us. We went to Key West previously on Disney and did another western on RCL.

Armed Guards at ports are a normal thing, at least that I have found on my past 15 or so cruises. But you are obviously allowed to have your own thoughts. I have seen them before in both Cozumel and Grand Cayman, maybe they weren't as noticeable? Definitely have seen them in the Bahamas and Jamaica.

We are sailing with our 15 month old and I am ok with her not being in a car seat for the excursions that we have booked. I have read other reports where people had brought their own carseats, but I am ok with her going with out it. Again, this is a parents perogative.

Grand Cayman has beautiful beaches. We have gone to 7 mile beach before and now we do a private excursion with a gentleman that has his own boat. I can't wait to take my daughter to stingray city and starfish beach.

In Cozumel there are several beach clubs that stretch down the shoreline. We have a favorite that we like to go to, Naichi Cocum, after having tried a few that we didn't care as much for.

I am bummed by the shortened port time in Costa Maya as I really feel like it makes it so excursion prohibited but have read really good reviews on a beach club there run by an American, can't remember the name of it. But, since all of our other ports are so beach and water intensive we are using this day to shop and spend more time on the ship.

I do think your feedback from the activities was good and I am hoping you shared that on your comment card. On our last two Dream cruises we did notice how LONG the lines for the characters were. Really LONG! We never really paid attention to that before having our daughter!

Yes, I completely filled out my comment card, but they don't leave much room for comments at all. I used the space to let them know how exceptional our servers were, so I am sending a more detailed email to Disney about the great trip we had, with a few suggestions too!

Glad you had a great cruise too! Tiger :)

Overall, Love the space and all the add on to the Fantasy. Customer service was the best ever. I would jump at a chance to be on Any of the Disney boats. LOVED IT!!

]

Tiger926 said:
We didn't book any excursions this trip, as our little guy just turned 5, and still sits in a harnessed car seat, so didn't want to risk having safety issues.

For Grand Cayman and Costa Maya, you must book excursions though, as there is nothing to do for those of us with young kids, except for bars and shops. Our kids were so disappointed that they didn't see one beach all week, until we got to Castaway.

Tiger

This is most definitely a personal preference, as you could most certainly have gone to a beach at all 3 stops.

Our DD is 5 and at age 4 1/2 & 5 we had her out & about on our Western & Eastern cruises. No, she was not in a car seat while traveling, but she was safe. Every level of parenting varies - I am not an over or under protective parent. Personally, I take precautions without holding her back (and I am only commenting on myself). Of note, on our Cozumel stop, there were armed guards as we walked thru the cruise terminal.

I agree with PP about Margaritaville - when we were there, it was not a drinking/bar/party atmosphere - it was full of DCL families (as evidenced by the lanyards) & was just a restaurant. I highly doubt that everyone there bought something (food or drink). It was empty - everyone was around the pool. DD had a great time in the pool & waterslide & talks about returning in December, which we will do weather permitting.

I am glad you still had a good cruise!

ETA: DH had a burger & I had a drink & conch fritters at Margaritaville, so we didn't use the facilities without patronizing the business.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

This is most definitely a personal preference, as you could most certainly have gone to a beach at all 3 stops.

Our DD is 5 and at age 4 1/2 & 5 we had her out & about on our Western & Eastern cruises. No, she was not in a car seat while traveling, but she was safe. Every level of parenting varies - I am not an over or under protective parent. Personally, I take precautions without holding her back (and I am only commenting on myself). Of note, on our Cozumel stop, there were armed guards as we walked thru the cruise terminal.

I agree with PP about Margaritaville - when we were there, it was not a drinking/bar/party atmosphere - it was full of DCL families (as evidenced by the lanyards) & was just a restaurant. I highly doubt that everyone there bought something (food or drink). It was empty - everyone was around the pool. DD had a great time in the pool & waterslide & talks about returning in December, which we will do weather permitting.

I am glad you still had a good cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Sure we could have gone to beaches but they required transportation, of which I said we weren't interested in utilizing this trip. There were no beaches within easy walking distance as we checked with the locals in each port, as well as the DCL guides out and about on the pier.

As for Margaritaville, we would never visit a restaurant to use their facilities without purchasing something to eat or drink. I have no idea what the atmosphere is there as we've never been, but I commented that since we weren't planning on eating or drinking, we didn't feel it fair to use their facilities. YMMV.

We had a great cruise, despite not being able to do as much in the ports as we had hoped. We have already begun our research for next Western cruise! Thanks for all tips and info!

Tiger :)

Tiger926 said:
We saw Margaritaville, but we don't drink and don't eat food while in port, so we skipped it. Sounds like you had fun!

Did you do the submarine tour? We walked into the office, but the person in there was a bit overwhelmed by guests asking questions, so we left. We did this in Hawaii, and liked it. And we are considering it for a future cruise.

Thanks for the feedback!

We felt like the week wasn't so hectic at all either - it was very relaxing! Glad you had fun!

We will definitely do Stingray City next trip as our little guy will be older. Have heard good things about it. Thanks for that feedback!

We had fun exploring the shops in Cozumel and taking photos of the ship. We bought some beautiful silver jewelry too! The people were so friendly and welcoming!

Yes, I completely filled out my comment card, but they don't leave much room for comments at all. I used the space to let them know how exceptional our servers were, so I am sending a more detailed email to Disney about the great trip we had, with a few suggestions too!

Glad you had a great cruise too! Tiger :)

It was only a semi-submersible rather than full sub. We went on the Disney excursion which was expensive but when we booked on board they recommended the particular time we had as there was only one other family booked. We were therefore able to move from side to side and change windows to get the best views. Not sure it would be so good if it was full.

It was only a semi-submersible rather than full sub. We went on the Disney excursion which was expensive but when we booked on board they recommended the particular time we had as there was only one other family booked. We were therefore able to move from side to side and change windows to get the best views. Not sure it would be so good if it was full.

Ok. Thanks for the review. We did a fully submersible sub experience in Hawaii.

Tiger

People that have sailed on the Fantasy, how disruptive is the new children's area to the area overlooking Quiet Cove?

People that have sailed on the Fantasy, how disruptive is the new children's area to the area overlooking Quiet Cove?

The Aqua-Lab and Nemo Reef is on the opposite side of the ship near Cabanas (Aft) so I did not notice any noise from the Adults only zone (Foward).

The Aqua-Lab and Nemo Reef is on the opposite side of the ship near Cabanas (Aft) so I did not notice any noise from the Adults only zone (Foward).

Yup. :thumbsup2

On our Fantasy last week, the adult area was not used much at all. Hubby went back there a few times over the week to check it out, and we could see the entire area from the Outlook Lounge. On our cruise, it was very underutilized, yet the main pool areas are so small and crowded, that they are not useable. Each pool has a capacity of 54 people, for a ship that holds 4,000 guests, yet there is an adult area that sat mostly empty.

Just something that caught our eye as we don't use the adult areas either as we have children. Seems like a very big area for the few people who seemed to be using it on our cruise last week.

Tiger

On our Fantasy last week, the adult area was not used much at all. Hubby went back there a few times over the week to check it out, and we could see the entire area from the Outlook Lounge. On our cruise, it was very underutilized, yet the main pool areas are so small and crowded, that they are not useable. Each pool has a capacity of 54 people, for a ship that holds 4,000 guests, yet there is an adult area that sat mostly empty.

Just something that caught our eye as we don't use the adult areas either as we have children. Seems like a very big area for the few people who seemed to be using it on our cruise last week.

Tiger

This makes me VERY happy!! LOL....I hope it's empty and quiet one month from now when DH and I board...I think we're going to spend a bunch of time in that area.

I believe you're asking about the little splash pool that is on Deck 12 above the Quiet Cove Pool. This is part of the adult area on the Dream, but with the addition of Satellite Falls on the Fantasy, they made this area open to families.

We actually preferred this area to anywhere else on the ship. It didn't have all the noise of the kids/family pool area and we could go there with our son who is 12. The little pool they have up there is great to cool down in (only about a foot deep). The kids that were in this area I thought were well behaved given their ages (there were some young ones). The noise from up there will not affect the adult area on deck 11.

I was on this cruise last week as well and I have to say that Costa Maya was our favorite port on the cruise. We went down to the Tropicante ($2 pp taxi ride). The beach there is great and the water is calm (natural reef breakwater a couple hundred yards off shore). We'll be doing that again next time we're there. It was awesome.

In Grand Cayman we were going to do Public Beach on Seven Mile Beach (if you tell the taxi drive you want Public Beach, they'll know where you mean), but decided beforehand to stay on the ship most of the day. Good thing as it was overcast that day. We did walk around the "fenced in" area right at the port (i.e. tender drop-off) and also went out of that area to Del Sol and a couple other shops.

In Cozumel, we treated it as a sea day and stayed on the ship until about 2:00 when everyone else came back on from their excursions. The ship was dead and you could literally walk on the AquaDuck.

Overall, it was a great trip.

For us, the ship was our destination. The ports were an added benefit. If some one is sailing for the ports, then go out and explore them. If you're not into exploring, then pick a ship that you want to be on and make that your destination/resort.

... yet the main pool areas are so small and crowded, that they are not useable.
Tiger

I always find it amazing that people can have different experiences in the same place. I went to the kids pool on a port day thinking that he would not get to enjoy on a sea day. It was perfect...counting him, there were only 4 children. We also tried on a sea day and to our surprise it was not crowded at all. I even went in with him. We had a wonderful time :yay:

I believe you're asking about the little splash pool that is on Deck 12 above the Quiet Cove Pool. This is part of the adult area on the Dream, but with the addition of Satellite Falls on the Fantasy, they made this area open to families.

We actually preferred this area to anywhere else on the ship. It didn't have all the noise of the kids/family pool area and we could go there with our son who is 12. The little pool they have up there is great to cool down in (only about a foot deep). The kids that were in this area I thought were well behaved given their ages (there were some young ones). The noise from up there will not affect the adult area on deck 11.

I assume you are talking about the "Funnel Puddle" pool?? I thought this was the best place on the ship!! My 5 year old wanted some peace and quiet...I took him up there and we just chilled out in that little pool and listened to the live guitar - simply lovely!!!

I think the Funnel Puddle and Deck 4 in the evening were my favorite spots on the ship!!

Dreamin' of sailing again......:)

I assume you are talking about the "Funnel Puddle" pool?? I thought this was the best place on the ship!! My 5 year old wanted some peace and quiet...I took him up there and we just chilled out in that little pool and listened to the live guitar - simply lovely!!!

I think the Funnel Puddle and Deck 4 in the evening were my favorite spots on the ship!!

Yes - the Funnel Puddle!!! I could not remember the name of it. I too think it is one of the best places on the ship for a family to go if they want a quieter time. I know we'll be hanging out there on future cruises.

btw, weren't you the one we shared the cab with down to Tropicante? I thought the person said they were "dizzyfordisney" on the DIS boards. My apologies if not, but "Hi" if you were. Hope your family enjoyed the beach that day.

DH and I will be doing this trip in January and I was looking for feedback for Port Adventures in CC, Costa Maya, GC and Cozumel. DH is thinking about golfing--but I would love to hear the good, bad and ugly experiences you've had with all shore excursions.
Thanks,
Rebecca

I was on this cruise last week as well and I have to say that Costa Maya was our favorite port on the cruise. We went down to the Tropicante ($2 pp taxi ride). The beach there is great and the water is calm (natural reef breakwater a couple hundred yards off shore). We'll be doing that again next time we're there. It was awesome.

In Grand Cayman we were going to do Public Beach on Seven Mile Beach (if you tell the taxi drive you want Public Beach, they'll know where you mean), but decided beforehand to stay on the ship most of the day. Good thing as it was overcast that day. We did walk around the "fenced in" area right at the port (i.e. tender drop-off) and also went out of that area to Del Sol and a couple other shops.

In Cozumel, we treated it as a sea day and stayed on the ship until about 2:00 when everyone else came back on from their excursions. The ship was dead and you could literally walk on the AquaDuck.

Overall, it was a great trip.

For us, the ship was our destination. The ports were an added benefit. If some one is sailing for the ports, then go out and explore them. If you're not into exploring, then pick a ship that you want to be on and make that your destination/resort.

Glad you had a great trip! I am thoroughly confused about this splash area though. We explored every single nook and cranny, or so we thought, so not sure how we missed this? Are you saying it is located behind the adult area quiet cove pool? If so, how do you get to this area?

I always find it amazing that people can have different experiences in the same place. I went to the kids pool on a port day thinking that he would not get to enjoy on a sea day. It was perfect...counting him, there were only 4 children. We also tried on a sea day and to our surprise it was not crowded at all. I even went in with him. We had a wonderful time :yay:

You are lucky then. Every sea day, the pools were beyond crowded. We went in the morning and afternoon, which is probably the busiest time to go. The kids pool was full of adults each time we were there!

Spent a ton of time on deck 4!! :thumbsup2

Tiger

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter