just back from Dream (8/7 - 8/12)....

Camie627

Earning My Ears
I planned for months for this cruise and Disboard was my primary resource for EVERYTHING...thought i would give back....Let me start off by saying the Dream IS as amazing as everyone says. I LOVED IT! 5 days is not long enough! Here is some info that I wanted to share: I traveled w/ husband & 2 sons (both 8). We arrived the night before and stayed at country inn & suites, we left our car there during our stay. When I made reservations for the room, they said they did not have any "park & stay" packages, had to pay $30 to park there. The lot seemed safe enough. room clean / staff super nice...although when you check in you need to sign up for the shuttle, but by the time we checked in the shuttle was booked through 2 in the afternoon. Front desk clerk called local cab company and reserved a taxi for us for the next day, i think it costs $15 to get to the Dream from hotel (about a 10 minute drive). We packed coolers of beer & wine & was able to take them aboard, but i did not know that ice was not allowed. Had to get out of line at terminal, bring cooler outside, empty out all ice and repack. (security was very nice, he just let me get right back to the front of the line) took less then 1.5 hours from the time we entered port (11:00) until the time we got on board. We stayed in room 5150...we LOVED it!! I found that there was plenty of room for all of our belongings, i did invest in an over the door storage "thingy", found that i did not even need it (i left it in the closet for the next visitor!) As soon as i got on board i went right to Remy/Palo and was able to get reservations for my traveling companions (sisters & their family & my dad) for Remy (choice of time) I was able to book Palo Brunch (only had 10 am open) and made Palo Dinner reservations for 6 of us (we traveled w/ sisters & their families). DINNERS: was on a 5 night cruise, there was 1 semi-formal night & quite a few guests were very dressed up. I felt a little under-dressed in dress pants & nice blouse...wished i had brought a more "dressy" dress. One night at dinner we were running late and i had my boys in shorts and a tee & was a bit embarrassed that they were under-dressed (although i am sure nobody noticed). dinners were about an hour. My sisters & their families went to Remy's and LOVED it--they raved about their wine selection & i think their bill was over $900 (they really like their wine). 6 of us went to Palo for dinner---AMAZING...we were there for almost 4 hours. Worth every penny! Best deal on ship. oh yeah, children's soft drinks @ dinner are not free. I brought my 2 children & 4 nieces/nephews to a show & bought them each a soda & it was $45!!! for 6 sodas!!! CC: all the children we were with complained that the water was burning their eyes (very salty??) island was amazing. we hung out near the gazebo & disney characters showed up and danced with all the kids...they had crab races there too, the kids loved it. Oh yeah, i purchased the 2 day snorkel / tube / bike rentals for all 4 of us. I lugged all the snorkels / fins / tubes from the hut to our spot on the beach, kids used them for 30 minutes and that was it. Waste of money for our family. There was plenty to rent there if you wanted to. Nassau: we did the sea lion encounter ($99 p/p) the boys loved it, it was really neat, but boy do they get you in the end. We spend about $200 on photos afterwards. Would not do this again, it was booked thru disney, left boat @ 12:30, had to RUN back to boat in order to be on time for 5:45 dinner--we ended up being 15 min late. too stressful! but we did it, have the pics to prove it, and the $58 DVD!! My sisters and I attended a matinee bingo. The electronic Bingo ended up costing each of $50. They only play 4 games & the payouts were something like $110 , $120, $140 & $150! you would think they would have been a little more?? They also start singing and dancing in the middle of a bingo game, it was a bit too much. (just call the next number already!!)... Carry your camera EVERYWHERE! Disney characters pop out in the strangest places. A lot of overtired children and fed up mommies. I think the mantra I heard over and over (myself included), was " THAT'S IT!!! TONIGHT YOU ARE GOING TO BED AT 8:00!!!" (yes, that was me screaming at my son dragging him thru the sand at Castaway Cay!) Also, please realize you are on a DISNEY cruise, there will be children everywhere. So if you are rolling down the hallway in your wheelchair, PLEASE SLOW DOWN!! Some man pushing his wife along ran over my 4 year old niece and yelled at me for not moving her to the side..Also, they have a few "parties" in the main lobby and people line up on each deck watching over the balconies: is it just me, or does it bother anyone else that adults do not move aside to let children in front of them? My boys were so desperate to see the show, they crawled on the floor between 2 women, the ladies were quite startled (i think they thought that the boys were trying to look up their dresses!! LOL) you would think that they would have move over a little & let the kids in to see, but NOPE! My husband wanted me to add that the fireworks were a little lame, but i heard the pirate show was amazing ( we were the 1st people on deck for fireworks, but we were standing near the adult pool section & could not make our way over to the main pool area to see show--way too crowded.) sorry for any grammatical errors / it is getting late...i thought i had a million things to write about, but i am exhausted and can not remember!! Can't wait for next Disney Cruise!! Disney is top notch & customer service is a priority.

oh yeah, children's soft drinks @ dinner are not free. I brought my 2 children & 4 nieces/nephews to a show & bought them each a soda & it was $45!!! for 6 sodas!!!

Glad you had a great time OP! :thumbsup2 Just curious about the quoted portion. You said kids soft drinks @ dinner are not free and then say you bought them for the show and it was $45. I don't see why you would have been charged at dinner as DCL has always had free regular sodas as meals. Are you instead referring to buying them outside the theater, which has always been an additional charge. Just wanted clarification should there have been a change in policy.

my sister picked up the tab from dinners, she said that she was charged for soft drinks. i was surprised to hear this, but she she said "no, they had them on the bill" (spoken by the girl who had a $900 remy bar tab--she could have been drunk! LOL) so i do not know that 1st hand about the dinner soft drinks, but i do know that at the theater $45 for 4 sodas & 2 waters!!

Could they have gotten them in the special collectible cups they hawk sometimes? Those have an additional charge. Well, hopefully the policy is still free at meals. We'll find out in a few months.

Could they have gotten them in the special collectible cups they hawk sometimes? Those have an additional charge. Well, hopefully the policy is still free at meals. We'll find out in a few months.

That's what I was thinking. You buy it in the silly little "special" cup they try to get you to purchase they cost $$. I've never been billed for a soda in the dining room ever unless I purchased one of those silly cups for my kids.

Glad you had a great time. Sounds like lots of activity packed in to the week.

I thought they charged for all drinks including soft drinks at Remy/Palo, and in room service, but do not charge for soft drinks at regular rotational dinner?

is it just me, or does it bother anyone else that adults do not move aside to let children in front of them?

In our house, it is the other way around. Our kids hold the doors, carry packages and move aside for elders, especially ones in wheelchairs.

There is NO charge for regular sodas (Coke, Sprite, etc.) in the dining rooms.

Glad you had a great time. Sounds like lots of activity packed in to the week.

In our house, it is the other way around. Our kids hold the doors, carry packages and move aside for elders, especially ones in wheelchairs.

:thumbsup2 On our cruise there was a man in a wheelchair getting in an elevator and it was so nice.. everyone including kids let him get in first...common courtesy:goodvibes Nice peeps on our cruise for the most part.

I think you misunderstood me, our children do respect adults also... I was talking about letting children in front of adults TO WATCH THE SHOWS...not in life in general!! for example if i was standing at the railing watching a show and there was a child behind me, i would step aside to let the little ones see....AND of course they know to repect / help adults esp. ones in wheelchairs....I was only telling how the fellow pushing his wife ran over my niece...(which is not nice either!)

You have to watch out for those collectible cups, lol! Soft drinks are definitely free unless you get them in the light-up Tinkerbell or Captain Hook cups. The only time you're charged for soft drinks on DCL is if you get it from a bar or the concession at the theater.

I think you misunderstood me, our children do respect adults also... I was talking about letting children in front of adults TO WATCH THE SHOWS...not in life in general!! for example if i was standing at the railing watching a show and there was a child behind me, i would step aside to let the little ones see....AND of course they know to repect / help adults esp. ones in wheelchairs....I was only telling how the fellow pushing his wife ran over my niece...(which is not nice either!)

Sorry, if kids want to see, you as the parent should be lined up to be certain they have a spot, not run over after and try to get in to see. This is the same thing that happens at parades, people get a spot and wait a half hour or more before, others come runing up with their kids as soon as they hear the parade music start and think others should move so they can see. Seriously, stake out your spot and don't expect others to let your kids in if they have been there for and waiting for some time. Some children are nice when you let them in, others then drag their whole family and the person who waited ends up in the bak row hardly able to see.

You have to watch out for those collectible cups, lol! Soft drinks are definitely free unless you get them in the light-up Tinkerbell or Captain Hook cups. The only time you're charged for soft drinks on DCL is if you get it from a bar or the concession at the theater.
and from room service

I was only SHARING my experiences folks!! Gees, did not know my parenting skills were going to be topic of conversation.
Pastal, you as an adult, should move over little and let a little person in front of you--common courtesy. Agree, you don't let the parents in, but come on let the kids peek at the show! Sometimes life happens & you run late. Oh yeah, are you the one I saw at Disney World with your king sized blanket on the sidewalk three hours before the parade for your family of 2?

I was only SHARING my experiences folks!! Gees, did not know my parenting skills were going to be topic of conversation.
Pastal, you as an adult, should move over little and let a little person in front of you--common courtesy. Agree, you don't let the parents in, but come on let the kids peek at the show! Sometimes life happens & you run late. Oh yeah, are you the one I saw at Disney World with your king sized blanket on the sidewalk three hours before the parade for your family of 2?

Gosh no, and I don't believe that I said I in any of that post, just in general. What I choose to do, and by the way, I always let kids in. However, that isn't always what everyone does and it really should not be expected. I did not attack you, just put in generalizations, but hey feel free to attack me!

Thanks for sharing Camie! Sounds like you guys had a blast!! Thanks for all your tips. Looking forward to cruising the Dream in 42 days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter