Just back from Disney: news about birthdays

Thanks for posting. Sorry it didn't live up to your expectations. I think its important that people recognize that not always does the magic happen. We were there several years ago and it was my parents 35th wedding anniversary. I let everyone know (except them) hoping for magic, and none occurred. I wasn't too disappointed, because I knew sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

We had a "bad" character breakfast once as well. Characters were rushed, and their "shift" only lasted halfway through our meal (we were seated 45 minutes later than our PS time). It was really disappointing. We've had many better ones, although none as magical as what is occationally described here - long conversations with princesses, Chip and Dale playing games - in a dozen trips and more character meals I've never witnessed that - much less experienced it. More often, I've experenced what you describe (although without ignoring one child! Except when my son was little and wanted to be ignored - he was a little character shy), character visits consist of 45 second photo-ops.

But with the wonder of the internet, you get to hear when the magic happens for someone else and come to expect it will happen for you. Used to be Disney was able to make magic by supplying the unexpected. Ten years ago, most of my trips were pretty ho-hum for magic, and once in a while you'd stumble upon Tigger alone in a corner or towel animals. Now most of my trips are ho-hum, but I know other people are stumbling upon Tigger in a corner or getting towel animals and I'm not. What is nice is that I have previous experience to compare trips to - and know towel animals are the exception.

Stephres said:
I based my expectations on the messages I read on this very board about birthdays. I have stated several times that my child was not adversely effected by the experience.

Just thought I'd add it was an important post, you've passed on great information, and I'm sure its more than appreciated, maybe not by those that are posting, but even so I think that its important to relay information for others that come and read the thread...

I know I too always hope for more "magic", but I hate to be disappointed, I seem to be well aquainted with Murphy! (of Murphy's Law, anything that can, will go wrong!)

I dont know how I would handle a Princess ignoringm my child, dont they have CM's around? I think I would have gotten the attention of one of them, and been sweet, and polite, and "confused"! and I think the picture opportunities and autographs help make the visit last longer... I also think that there was a thread on the Dis about questions to ask the characters to help aid the interaction... (Alice, has she seen the White Rabbit, Aurora, what is your mom's name? etc... it was a great thread!!)

We had the same experience there for our DD 4th B-day. They seated all the birthday people next to each other. For the most part the princesses could have cared less. The restaurant did bring her a special cookie for her to decorate, but other than that, nothing special. Also, I have stated before here on the DIS boards that the food there is just so so. Especially for picky eaters who are children and let's face it a good portion of the customers are kids there. We also it our DS birthday at Cape May Cafe breakfast buffet and we all loved it there. They sang and brought him a huge cupcake. Food was excellent, characters were great and much more relaxed feeling all around.

thanks for the heads up-this was the part that my sister wanted to enjoy-I had heard other people on different websites say the same thing...I will try other areas since it will be my daughters birthday when we go and I DO want someone to sing happy birthday to her. NTM my daughter does not eat pb & j!!!

We were at WDW for DD's 8th b'day. We had 18 family members down there for that trip! We didn't plan on anything special for her birthday, since we considered being at WDW special enough as it is. I think we let her pick which ride she wanted to go on first at MK (Dumbo), and let her plan most of the morning.

We did have the whole family go to the Minnie/Mickey luau at the Poly, and we let her pick out anything she wanted for her b'day present at the Emporium. We also sang happy b'day to her over dessert at the luau. I think I stuck a candle in the dessert as well.

After dinner, we headed over to MK, for the evening fireworks. A group of teenage girls were sitting in front of us. When they heard me ask DD how she liked her b'day so far, they asked "it's your birthday?" then they sang her the birthday song.

She still talks about her great b'day at WDW, even though we didn't really make a big fuss over her...

mizzkb00 said:
thanks for the heads up-this was the part that my sister wanted to enjoy-I had heard other people on different websites say the same thing...I will try other areas since it will be my daughters birthday when we go and I DO want someone to sing happy birthday to her. NTM my daughter does not eat pb & j!!!

As Happy Birthday is copyrighten, you won't find anyplace that will sing her Happy Birthday at Disney, you'll have to do it.

As a professional musician, one is allowed to perform "Happy Birthday" without paying royalties. If it is recorded or performed on TV or on the internet, then royalties are due.

very good answer-I hadn't thought of it that way..you are exactly on the money...I guess you can tell I haven't had my first WDW trip yet! 103 days and counting!!!

robmary said:
The restaurant did bring her a special cookie for her to decorate, but other than that, nothing special.

It might just be me, but, I feel like the parental expectations might be a bit high. We are in the process of planning our DD's 3rd birthday celebration at WDW. I would be thrilled to have them bring her a special cookie to decorate. I'm hoping for a bunch of little things, most of which my DH and I will orchestrate before leaving home, but I don't have my sights set on a special fireworks display just for Allison's Birthday!

Seriously though... we need to focus on the child's happiness. They would be thrilled with the little displays (my DD is still talking about the 5 sec kiss on the top of her head from Minnie). If your child is happy, you should be too!

My 2 cents...

pilgrimage said:
As a professional musician, one is allowed to perform "Happy Birthday" without paying royalties. If it is recorded or performed on TV or on the internet, then royalties are due.

Disney still won't do it. They are picky about intellectual property rights (for good reason) and want to enforce very strict fair use (for good reason).

So sorry to hear about the disappointment but I am glad to hear about her happy time at B&C.

We just celebrated at WDW our son's 3rd bday and only have great things to say about the experience. We did a character dinner at Crystal Palace and the whole thing was wonderful. Every hr they have all the bday people/kids parade around with Pooh and friends and there is one big singing of a birthday song. We bought (no freebie here ) a 6 inch bday cake for ds to get at the table and the cm who brought it out did sing happy birthday (an added surprise). The cm's were wonderful and the service great. I would recommend CP in a heartbeak. All I told DS before hand was that we were going to see Pooh bear for his bday dinner so he didn't have any expectations beyond that.

edited to add: and we only celebrated his bday on his actual bday..although at other PS when they heard it was his bday that week they offered to do something (ie: 'Ohana's for dinner the night before his bday the cm asked him how old he was and he said 2 but my bday is tomrrow then I am a big guy...i'll be 3)..we declined b/c we wanted the actual day to be a little extra special....

We just got back from Disney last week and though our ds now 7 wore a bday button, not one person said happy birthday to him. I was not expecting miracles, just a happy bday or two would have been nice.
To the OP - we went to PSB for dinner and would have welcomed that PB&J! Norwegian food is just not my cup of tea I guess. I found it pretty disgusting. Sorry for those who love it! I will say though that we went there for the princesses and not the food so we were not disappointed. DD got photos and autographs from Belle,Ariel,Aurora,Jasmine and Mulan and she was thrilled. The chef went out of his way to come talk to us as I asked our server if it was possible to just have some pasta with marinara for our oldest ds who is autistic and had basically eaten nothing all day as he is so particular. Chef Mike I believe his name was was fantastic and went really out of his way for us to provide our ds with some food he would actually eat. I would go there again (as long as I had the dining plan) but I would eat something first! LOL!
CHILLED SCRAMBLED EGGS! UGH!

OP - I know just how you feel, we do kind of have wonderful ideas of how things should be - we want the best for our children after all, and I don't think it was too much to expext a happy birthday - or 5 extra seconds from the princesses. Each princess spent very little time with our dd and did ignore our 3 boys, but they did not care thankfully. DD did not realize how rushed the visits were, but I did and well truthfully , if the princesses are not able to spend at least - say ONE minute with each table if the table wants it, there needs to be fewer people seated.
For ds' bday we did the Wishes BDAY cruise,and I will tell you, that was the absolute highlight of his (and all of ours) trip. He could not believe there was a special boat decorated just for him ballons and all! The cake btw was amazing, not a cheapo cake as I had expected. There were party hats,party noise makers, a big birtday banner and sodas and powerades for us. OUr captain took us out by Wilderness Lodge where we saw that elictric water parade and back over to MK to see the fireworks. I had not told ds about that so when we got there we had just enough time to sing Happy Birthday then we told him to look at the castle for a special birthday surprise just for him. He was blown away - and believes in Disney magic enough to believe they were for his bday. When I asked him on the plane ride home what his favorite part of the trip was he said his birtday fireworks. I recommend this special cruise to anyone going down for a bday! I don't care what TourGuide Mike says about it! It was sooo worth the extra $$ to have a special bday boat! What an amazing experience! The music was piped in, the night was just magical - all the grownups were in tears! I recommend it to anyone! It was also great for our ds 2 who had been petrified of the fireworks even with headphones. He was all smiles - "I not scared now!"

kdtwiss said:
For ds' bday we did the Wishes BDAY cruise,and I will tell you, that was the absolute highlight of his (and all of ours) trip. He could not believe there was a special boat decorated just for him ballons and all! The cake btw was amazing, not a cheapo cake as I had expected. There were party hats,party noise makers, a big birtday banner and sodas and powerades for us. OUr captain took us out by Wilderness Lodge where we saw that elictric water parade and back over to MK to see the fireworks. I had not told ds about that so when we got there we had just enough time to sing Happy Birthday then we told him to look at the castle for a special birthday surprise just for him. He was blown away - and believes in Disney magic enough to believe they were for his bday. When I asked him on the plane ride home what his favorite part of the trip was he said his birtday fireworks. I recommend this special cruise to anyone going down for a bday! I don't care what TourGuide Mike says about it! It was sooo worth the extra $$ to have a special bday boat! What an amazing experience! The music was piped in, the night was just magical - all the grownups were in tears! I recommend it to anyone! It was also great for our ds 2 who had been petrified of the fireworks even with headphones. He was all smiles - "I not scared now!"

How much is the birthday cruise? How do you book it? How far in advance can it be booked?

Hi, the cruise was $220 , but in my eyes was well worth it! Nothing like having your very own birthday boat! Our boat fit 12 comfortably. Not crowded at all. We booked about 3 months in advance and I belive 90 days is as far out as you can book. We actually got two boats as we had 2 birthdays and 24 people! It was great. When we got to the viewing area for the fireworks the captains tied the two boats together. There is also an illuminations birthday cruise which I believe books faster. That must be great also. I just can not say enough about how absolutely magical this was! I know every time we go if we are not celebrating a bday we will at least book the regular cruise, which I think was about $135, for our last night. There is just nothing like being with just your loved ones for such a sight!

OOPS = I think you book it by calling 407 wdw play, but I think I booked it when I was making my initial reservation for my package.

eeyore45 said:
Unfortunately I believe that people take advantage of Disney, expecting "freebies".... also, its expensive for most to go to WDW, so they take advantage of "near' bdays, or "near" anniversaries and "celebrate" the day as if it were the "special" day... like Alice, its everyone's "unbirthday"...

and I've also noticed how some will celebrate the whole week - expecting "special" treatment at each place - 3 - 5 places?? Its no wonder that the magic expires in quite a few CM's, its not an excuse, but an understanding of such...

here's a poster who had 3 different places : "Although she did get the birthday placemat and cupcake at both CRT and Chef Mickey's, she had the most attention at Le Cellier," that's one busy 5 yr old!

Sometimes its luck,(maybe its a good whine?) sometimes its a well organized parent... for us, DD and my mom will be celebrating bdays, I plan on getting a "free" pin, and ordering special cakes (and paying for them) and ordering special items from the WDW Florist (and paying for it) Like last year, it was noted on our ressies (for food, and resort - the Polynesian) that it was our 25th anniversary, and we got nothing "special" but I made sure it was "magical"!!!

I have to agree with this - we noticed tons and tons of people celebrating Bdays and anniversaries while we were on our trip. I know lots of people go to Disney to celebrate and I think it is great that some places give them alittle something extra but I really wonder how many people do the week long celebration just to get the extras. In fact at Chef Mickeys it seemed that every table in our section was celebrating a bday - there was atleast one cupcake with candles at everytable but ours for the celebration song they do there. We felt like the special ones cause we were the only ones not celebrating - LOL As a funny side note DH got a Magical Moments Cert from our waitress at Hoop Dee Doo cause she asked if we were celebrating anything and he laughed and said that his birthday was in 3 months - LOL - It was kind of funny.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter