Just back from CSR: driving update

El&Asmom

DIS Veteran
We just got back from a 6 night stay at CSR. We were thrilled with the resort, and for several reasons, liked it better than our last stay at AKL.
We received our request of Cabanas 9B, and the location couldn't have been better. Close to the Dig site, and El Centro.
We were a bit worried about the room size at a moderate, but it was more than enough room for our family of 4, and not noticably all that much smaller than our AKL room.
The grounds are beautiful, the pool was awesome, and we loved Pepper Market. Ate lunch there 3 times, and considered it a great value for CS.
On our first day, we were a bit worried about how crowded the resort seemed. We found out that many of the guests had been at the Tom Joyner show the night before. Even with lots of people, the resort was still quiet and peaceful. We went to PM on that first day, and it took about 10min to be seated because there was a line outside. Even with the crowds, we all got our food within 5 minutes, and the service was great. They had noticably more people working that day than the other days we ate there.

Now to my admission. I am big enough to admit when I'm wrong, and this time I was way wrong. I posted this thread a while back:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1208675&referrerid=&highlight=drive

I thought for sure we'd use our car as much as we did at AKL.
On the first day, we went to AK. It was labor day and EMH. By noon the place was packed. (By our standards as we usually travel off season). We stayed too long with two cranky kids. We left to get to our hot car, and had to buckle in two screaming kids and drive back to the resort. The next day, we decided to take the bus. I'll just say that except for when we went to DTD, we took the bus everywhere from there on out.
We never waited more than 5-10 minutes for a bus anywhere. The buses were completely empty with only 1-5 families on them ever except in the evening of 'the night of joy' concert when a couple of guys ended up standing.
CSR transportation was fantastic, and even dh who has been a diehard 'we have to rent a car' guy said next time we'll use ME and forget about the car.

Overall it was a great trip, at a wonderful hotel.
I'd stay there again anytime.

Welcome back and thanks for the post. We haven't stayed at CSR since 1998 - we've been staying at deluxe resorts (with the exception of POR once) since 1999 and for our upcoming trip (11/18 - 11/26) we've chosen CSR. It's good to hear a positive report. With the discounts being less and less, we're going to have to stay at moderates for some of our trips. We loved CSR and hope we feel the same when we go back in a couple of months.

Luckily we will have our car because we drive down so we don't have to think about buses. I know CSR doesn't share bus service but I just can't stand an ol' smelly bus.

PamNC

[/QUOTE] I thought for sure we'd use our car as much as we did at AKL.
On the first day, we went to AK. It was labor day and EMH. By noon the place was packed. (By our standards as we usually travel off season). We stayed too long with two cranky kids. We left to get to our hot car, and had to buckle in two screaming kids and drive back to the resort. The next day, we decided to take the bus. I'll just say that except for when we went to DTD, we took the bus everywhere from there on out.
We never waited more than 5-10 minutes for a bus anywhere. The buses were completely empty with only 1-5 families on them ever except in the evening of 'the night of joy' concert when a couple of guys ended up standing.
CSR transportation was fantastic, and even dh who has been a diehard 'we have to rent a car' guy said next time we'll use ME and forget about the car.

I'd stay there again anytime.[/QUOTE]

This is interesting, thank-you for sharing.
Last year was our first trip to WDW and we stayed at POR (loved it by the way). Anyway, DH wanted to see "something new" this time, so we are going to CSR. We rented a car last time, but gave the buses a try and it was miserable! So, no question, we are renting a car again this time. I'm glad to hear the buses were a good experience for you-I will give them another go! I'd much rather not have to drive. Thanks again for the info.

Becky

Glad to hear you enjoyed CSR! It really is pretty, isn't it? And I like the funky Pepper Market, too (but not the charge. Grr.).

El&Asmom said:
We just got back from a 6 night stay at CSR. We were thrilled with the resort, and for several reasons, liked it better than our last stay at AKL.
We received our request of Cabanas 9B, and the location couldn't have been better. Close to the Dig site, and El Centro.
We were a bit worried about the room size at a moderate, but it was more than enough room for our family of 4, and not noticably all that much smaller than our AKL room.
The grounds are beautiful, the pool was awesome, and we loved Pepper Market. Ate lunch there 3 times, and considered it a great value for CS.
On our first day, we were a bit worried about how crowded the resort seemed. We found out that many of the guests had been at the Tom Joyner show the night before. Even with lots of people, the resort was still quiet and peaceful. We went to PM on that first day, and it took about 10min to be seated because there was a line outside. Even with the crowds, we all got our food within 5 minutes, and the service was great. They had noticably more people working that day than the other days we ate there.

Now to my admission. I am big enough to admit when I'm wrong, and this time I was way wrong. I posted this thread a while back:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1208675&referrerid=&highlight=drive

I thought for sure we'd use our car as much as we did at AKL.

I'd stay there again anytime.
That a great review!! Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks for the review. We'll be there from 11/18 - 11/25. We'll have our car there because we're driving from MD, but, I truly am thinking of using the busses depending how crowded they seem to be. Also, DH might be renting a scooter from an off-site company so if he does the bus transportation will come in handy for that.

We've requested Cabana 9b so it's nice to hear how much you liked that as well.

Thanks.

Great review. We're planning a return trip to CSR in a few months, so good to hear that someone else thought it was as good as I remembered it.

We have gone both ways on the driving thing. Even if you don't use it much, it can bring POM to know that you have a car for an emergency or something. But it's also nice not having to designate a driver, and being able to relax together on the bus. I'm not big on buses at home, but WDW's service is above par. The buses are clean, the drivers are friendly, and the other people on the bus are happy people (mostly) on vacation.

I think as you said, it also depends considerably where you are staying. On our last trip we stayed at POR sans car, and sort of wished we had had one. For starters, we were the 4th stop off of ME, so that took a while. The bus service from ASMu was considerably better. The people we met on the bus were refreshingly friendly. Other times we've stayed at the Swan, and only used the car a few times (mostly to go off property).

It also depends a little on your game plan. If you're coming and going from the parks mostly at peak times, then the bus is easy and mindless. If you have a late dinner planned at a resort, esp. AKL, getting back to your hotel can be difficult via bus.

Hello Everyone! This is my first post. :tilt:

We are staying at CSR from 10/21 through 10/28. We = DH, DS10, DS8, DS6, DD4, DM, FIL, MIL and me! I chose the resort and I'm sweatin' it--it's my in-laws' and my kids' FIRST trip to WDW. For every good review you read, there seems to be one bad--and it's not just CSR, I changed our reservation from POR because I read so much bad stuff. What tipped the scales in favor of CSR was everything I've read about the transportation. Anyway, whatever postive comments I read make me VERY happy! Thanks!

Thanks for your report - we were there the week before you, and had the same wonderful experience.

HerNibs said:
Hello Everyone! This is my first post. :tilt:

We are staying at CSR from 10/21 through 10/28. We = DH, DS10, DS8, DS6, DD4, DM, FIL, MIL and me! I chose the resort and I'm sweatin' it--it's my in-laws' and my kids' FIRST trip to WDW. For every good review you read, there seems to be one bad--and it's not just CSR, I changed our reservation from POR because I read so much bad stuff. What tipped the scales in favor of CSR was everything I've read about the transportation. Anyway, whatever postive comments I read make me VERY happy! Thanks!
Have a great trip!! Check out my website below for pics, links and info.

Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to staying at CSR in late January. :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter