Just back from Coronado Springs

kymom79

Mouseketeer
We just finished a stay at CSR starting Labor Day through the following Saturday and thought a quick review might be helpful for anyone wondering about this resort.

The pictures we had seen of CSR looked enchanting, but we were wondering if the resort was actually that nice in person since so many people seem apathetic about Coronado Springs compared to the other Disney resorts. Well, we were reassured -- it is absolutely gorgeous! We had requested the Ranchos because (1) our kids thought they looked the "coolest" and (2) we wanted to be close to the main pool. The Ranchos are actually much more lush in person than most pictures on the web indicate. They seem quite private compared to the other resort sections since most sections appear to be separated by stands of trees from the main lake and viewing access to the rest of the resort. We had checked in online and assumed that our room would have been assigned prior to our arrival, but it wasn't (not that we care). The front desk agent actually pulled up a map of the resort and let us pick our building (We picked Ranchos 7b)!

We were very happy with our choice, and the only aspect we found topsy-turvy compared to the photos available online were the Casitas vs the Cabanas. We had requested "anything but the Cabanas" b/c they always appeared to be a little dingy and surrounded by sand and some sort of unattractive swampy marsh grass. Well, in real life they're beautiful! If we ever stayed at CSR again we might request these. Plus, 8A is really the closest building to the main pool. The Casitas were nice but a little underwhelming compared to the photos. My husband said, "wow, big Miami apartment building!", which is a bit harsh but I can see what he means.

We ate at both Pepper Market and Maya Grill. The 10% mandatory gratuity at Pepper Market did not seem unfair based on the service provided. We both felt Maya Grill was the most underrated restaurant we ate at all week. It was definitely the best table service meal we had, aside from Citricos of course. Since you can't exactly do take-home containers on vacation, it would have been ok with us if the gigantic portions were a little smaller in exchange for slightly lower prices, but it was a good meal regardless. DH had the chimichanga platter and I had the enchilada sampler.

One nice thing about the rooms was the sliding doors between the bedroom and sink area. This was great for privacy with kids in the room.

The only other Disney property resort I have to compare CSR to is the Swan and Dolphin. For what it's worth, here's how we thought they compared:
--You have the potential for some truly nasty views (dumpster/loading dock) at the Swolphin but also the potential for amazing views. Last time we had a free upgrade to a balcony view of Epcot and the Boardwalk (and yes, I know one couldn't expect that again) and the memory of that remarkable landscape with fireworks from multiple parks visible in the evenings may be unfairly tilting us in favor of the Swan, which did seem overall like a much nicer hotel with seemingly larger rooms and more of a hotel than motel feel.
--The theming was not quite as pronounced at the Swan as at CSR, if that's something you want.
-- The pool area at the Swan was lovely but nothing compared to the crazy water slide, Mayan temple pool, and Mesoamerican-themed playground at Coronado.
--There were more food options at the Swan covering a much wider spectrum than at CSR.
--Staff were overtly more helpful at the Swan. CSR was fine, and we only encountered one downright surly CM, but by and large we weren't blown away. Of course, we did stay at the Swan 3 years ago and it could be standards have slipped everywhere during that time period.

Overall, we had a great vacation at Coronado Springs and we're glad we tried it. Hope this helps someone doing some happy Disney hotel dithering!

Thanks for the review. We are staying at CSR in late October. It will be our first time staying there. How was the bus service?

Oh, I should have mentioned -- we were driving our own car so I have no idea about the bus service. It did seem like everytime we went anywhere in the resort we were seeing buses pulling up and departing. They certainly appear to send them frequently, although I don't know how many stops they may make.

Just want to thank you so much for your mini-review of CSR as I'm debating on that resort for our july2014 trip. Actually, keep on going back and forth between swan and CSR so I appreciate what you had to say :)

We are considering CSR for our possible trip next year so I thank you for your review. Were there any conventions during your stay?

Yes, there was a youth pastor convention during our stay. It did not bother us.

Thanks for the review. We are staying at CSR in late October. It will be our first time staying there. How was the bus service?

When we stayed at CSR we had the best bus service ever.

Kae

Been thinking about booking 1 night there during our 2014 trip to Orlando. After reading that review, I definitely want to go to CS!

CSR Is an amazing resort. I've stayed there five times and it is always been fantastic. Staying at the beach club this time To switch things up.

Thanks for the review! We are going there next August and have not been there yet. It looks like we are going to love it!

We both felt Maya Grill was the most underrated restaurant we ate at all week.

We agree - don't understand why so many on this board are down on Maya Grill.

'Course - makes it easier us to get reservations - so we'll take the heat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter