• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back from Aulani

asunutgirl

DIS Veteran
Just arrived home yesterday from a week at Aulani. This is our third trip there. Aulani is our home resort. We bought in 2012 with the idea that we would visit every other year and bought our points accordingly. We booked right at 11 months out - a two bedroom Island Garden view. Here are some thoughts since our last visit in 2015.

Room: I asked for a floor in the 'Ewa tower as high as possible. We got the ground floor. I was less than thrilled when we checked in. But since the villas were at 95% capacity, we didn't have much of a choice. It turned out to be a decent location. Going back to the room for lunch, stuff we forgot or whatever was super easy - no waiting for the elevator. And we had a fabulous view of the luau. The downside was that the room was very dark, even during the day. I'd stay there again (villa 164) but I'd still prefer a higher floor. I failed to get a photo of the view - sorry.

My daughters (19 and 16) each brought a friend with them on this trip. First time we've allowed them to bring a friend. It really confirmed why we bought into DVC. Bringing the friends was a zero incremental cost in accommodations and they had a great time. My kids didn't bicker, my 16 year old wasn't irritated at me all week and husband and I got to spend some time together. We would not have been able to add the friends if we didn't have the villa. (Friend's parents paid their airfare.) I just didn't go in their room. Ha ha.

Food: Quick service food is still just meh to me. It serves it's purpose in a pinch but we prefer to do breakfast and lunch in the villa. We stocked up at Target. Even at Hawaii prices, Target is still cheaper than buying at the resort. And my bottle of wine lasted all week. Much less expensive than the $12.50 lava flow by the pool. Our party of 6 did consume our fair share of Dole Whip, though! We went to Monkeypod for dinner one night - I love that their food is fresh. My Mahi sandwich was very good. Some of our group tried the Hawaiian BBQ across the street and liked it. They were disappointed to see the Sushi place next door was closed. Did dinner at Ama Ama one night. It was amazing - probably the best fish dinner I've had in a very, very long time. Note on reservations - I couldn't get anything for Ama Ama or the Character Breakfast on line. Pick up the phone to make a reservation. If you call, they will make an effort to get DVC members a reservation. (I called about 6 weeks prior to our trip.)

Pools: Pools and lazy river were a zoo. Resort was very crowded - we knew it would be. I'm looking forward to when husband and I can stay there in May or Sept. We did enjoy time at the adult pool. We booked a Cabana one day and the Executive Lanai one day - a first for us. I booked the Cabana the day I booked our reservation and we were still #4 on the list for that day. Almost got stuck at the Menehune bridge which we did not want. Our group of adults (4) and older teens (2) had no interest in being in the kid zone. We were ready to cancel it when we got the notice that someone had canceled ahead of us and we were in a Cabana near the infinity pool. It worked out but I'd be prepared to cancel if I booked a Cabana again. Our party liked the Executive Lanai a bit better. It comes with a few less amenities but the view is spectacular!

A quick note about towels - there are always plenty of towels available, all day long. We've stayed at other non-Disney resorts over the years and they always seem to run out of towels.

Activities: We went to Hanauma Bay on Saturday. We left the resort at 6:30am and it took us an hour. The parking lot was almost full at 7:30am. They aren't kidding when they say get their early. The tide was low and parts of the bay were very shallow. Go to the left or the right of the bay where there is sand. You can swim out to the reef from there without having to be 3 inches above the reef. (I'm not kidding - it was that shallow.) If you go, PLEASE do not STAND or SIT on the reef. You are required to watch a video about protecting the reef and I was still horrified at some of the behavior. It isn't rocks. The reef is a living thing. When you step on it, you risk killing the reef. Not only that, the reef is full of things that can sting. Coral itself can cause an infection if you manage to scrape yourself. I've been diving for 24 years and it made me so sad to see how the reef was being treated.

We took the kids to the Pineapple Plantation one day. Hubby and I have been but the kids had not. Its definitely a tourist trap but I found the train ride interesting. I did not enjoy the maze. Kids had a blast but it found it disorientating (the whole point, I guess.) Not something we will do every trip for sure. And the Dole Whip is more expensive at the plantation than at Aulani. Go figure!

If you have anyone in your group that is a Scuba Diver, I highly recommend Kaimana Divers. http://waikikiscuba.com/. It is a smaller operation but Gabe provides excellent service! We dive with them whenever we are on the island.

Other Notes: There is now a DVC only wristband distribution from 8-9am at the stand near the infinity pool. It was nice to avoid the line near the Menehune Bridge. I found a CD in the store sort of by accident. It is called "Mele From Aunty's Beach House" - it is the music they play in the elevator. Nice way to bring the island home with you. I almost missed it. Listening to it as a I type this. :)

Feel free to ask questions if you have any. Aloha!

You lucky duck, I would love that CD! Definitely will be something I look for when we go next time!

I enjoyed you report. I must look up Hanauma bay, I am not familiar with it.

Bobbi:)

I have the Executive Lanai booked for My August trip and just wondered how hot it got? I see the weather reports and just want to make sure we aren't all going to be baking out there. Also, was it worth what you paid? I booked it because I don't want to be in the middle of the pool chaos and it is my 25th wedding anniversary, so it is a treat for our family.

I have the Executive Lanai booked for My August trip and just wondered how hot it got? I see the weather reports and just want to make sure we aren't all going to be baking out there. Also, was it worth what you paid? I booked it because I don't want to be in the middle of the pool chaos and it is my 25th wedding anniversary, so it is a treat for our family.

Hi there! Congrats on your anniversary. We loved the Lanai and would book it again. It did get warm in the afternoon but we just moved the lounge chairs around to keep them in the shade. My teens were in the casabellas on the Lanai. It was definitely worth the price - it was nice to have a secure spot for the whole day. And the Lanai is quiet. You do have people walking by but no one really said anything to us and it was quieter near the beach than the pool. There isn't a refrigerator like in the cabanas but they do bring you your water on ice and will bring you more if you want.

We planned our week around the days we had the cabana and lanai booked. Those were our days to lounge around the resort. We left our sightseeing to the days the other days. I figured if we were paying for them, we'd occupy them all day! LOL

Hi there! Congrats on your anniversary. We loved the Lanai and would book it again. It did get warm in the afternoon but we just moved the lounge chairs around to keep them in the shade. My teens were in the casabellas on the Lanai. It was definitely worth the price - it was nice to have a secure spot for the whole day. And the Lanai is quiet. You do have people walking by but no one really said anything to us and it was quieter near the beach than the pool. There isn't a refrigerator like in the cabanas but they do bring you your water on ice and will bring you more if you want.

We planned our week around the days we had the cabana and lanai booked. Those were our days to lounge around the resort. We left our sightseeing to the days the other days. I figured if we were paying for them, we'd occupy them all day! LOL

That was my thought too. This is our big beach day and we will be there all day for maximum relaxation! Thanks.

Great report. Mahalo! Thanks for the heads up on the CD, every time we are in the elevators and here the Disney music in Hawaiian we wish we had that CD.

On the Executive Lanai, did you get a lot of shade from the umbrella or was it pretty sunny for a number of hours? How much does the Lanai cost now? And how much for the Cabana?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter