• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just Back from ASMO-Never Again for Me! LONG!

bethie

DIS Veteran
First, I know there are many folks who really enjoy the All Stars, but I am not one of them. There were four of us-my husband, 7yo daughter, 7mo son and myself. We stayed in the "Dalmations" building from Sunday to Friday of this past week. What's the complaint? The rooms are waaaaaaaaay to cramped. The rooms consist of two double, not queen beds, a little table and chairs, small dresser, small TV and SMALL vanity outside the area with the tub/shower and TURBO toilet!! Having my son in a Disney provided pac-n-play took up even more room. It just isn't enough space. I have stayed both in the deluxe and mods and so wished I had upgraded to a moderate. I had difficult times feeding my son in the night, trying to find a place to sit. The chairs have no arms for support. My other whinings about the place. We had a courtyard view which also meant you heard all the noise of people yelling and shouting, all hours of the night. The toilets sounds like a jet engine and even spray if you get too close when flushing. You can hear your neighbors, so unforunately for them, they must have heard when my son cried. I also thought the decor of the resorts were, well, over the top, but of course, my 7yo like it. On the upside, the room was clean, housekeeping was tops without having to tip, the food court was clean and the fare tasty. My check in was quick and painless. The store on the premises was also very nice and even had some groceries.

I used the laundry facilities-$2 a load-30 minutes each for both washer and dryer, bring your own supplies.

Please, if you have any questions, just ask. Overall, I do not regret trying the values, but wished I had gumption to switch while we were there. I would not do them again.

most of the resorts have the turbo toilets as well as thin walls....even our stay at the Poly I could hear through the walls! I agree the rooms are small, we had a PNP this weekend at POR and we were able to put it in the closet area and it fit perfect and was out of the way.
We like the values when the price is right and we want a quick trip! The size is definitely not that great!
Thanks for your review!

I love a review like this. You make it clear why *you* didn't like it. But some people are going to read this and think, "that's the place for me". Cool.

we have never stayed at the all stars but did POP in dec and also had a PNP
we had it in between the tv console and the wall so behind it was a door to another room
it was fine there and out of the way
we dont spend much time in the room so it was ok for us
but i agree the table is small and the chairs dont have arms
i also wish the tvs offered more none of the disneys have hbo or anything there is only so many times you can watch the top 7 or buy DVC
LOL
off topic sorry but i loved POP and we will sty there again
i dont think it sworth a upgrade to mods i would just stay deluxe

Agree with you, nothing really wrong with the values we just do not care for them my DD6 doesn'tmlike them either. She likes the decor and pools at the mods and deluxes, but we have stayed at the values several times for quick weekend trips when we have gotten good AP or FL discounts.

I'm so sorry you had such a bad time at the AS sports. I also stayed there when my boys were 3 and 5 and even then we felt like we were on top of each other. The last time we tried 3 yrs back (boys much older now) at Pop with two connecting rooms and it still was not our cup of tea at all. Its one of those things with Disney....live and learn and we have learned alot over the years. I'm not a snob value at all...its just the value resorts are not for us. (as a matter of fact, I'm one of the most frugal gals you will ever find) We did a lot of figuring on our trips over the past 6 years and ended up joining DVC....now we get a lot more bang for our buck.

I hope your next experience at Disney is much better!

Esmerelda :)

We stayed at the ASM for only 2 nights after our cruise!!! :rolleyes1 Thank goodness it was only 2 nights!!! :goodvibes They are fine for the price,but way too much going on!!!

After spending time at the parks I want to go back to a laid back quiet resort. I did not want a giant Woody or Buzz staring at me!!! EEK! ;) The pools were big, but no waterslides and the food courts were too hectic.

Plus bus service was slow to me. One night after the Halloween party we waited for 35- 40 minutes for a bus with a sleeping 6 year old!! They get heavy after a while!!!
Finally another person waiting called guest service and complained that the ALL Stars were not getting picked up!! :confused3 Finally they sent some buses.

So we will not be staying there again!!! I loved CBR!!

This up coming trip I rented DVC points and am staying in a studio at the BWV for less than I could stay at the All Stars in May!!! :banana: :banana:

Now my Aunt loved the ASM....That is great! I just won't do it again!

Michelle :thumbsup2

We actually love the All-Stars. They are great resorts for kids (theming). The rooms are a little smaller, but we do not mind as we are only there to sleep. We balance that with the cost. I have not found a resort at WDW that we have not liked.

Yep, I love ASMo too, but I can see where it would be cramped for a family of 4. Thanks for your honest review.

Thanks guys. I think it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Oh, the PNP was in front of the connecting door to the next room, really the only place to put it w/o banging the room door into it. LOL

One thing I missed from the other resorts was the extra vanity space, especially when washing bottles.

Please don't let me discourage anyone from giving them a shot.

-We have stayed at ASMO before and it was crowded with four but we had an awesome time. We are going again in Apr and staying at ASMO but this time we got 2 connecting rooms. There are now 5 of us. Last April we stayed at CR and although being so close to MK and the monorail was awesome, it was
just okay. Not very much themeing if you ask me. This year we chose 2 rooms at ASMO-my 3 DS really like the ASMO and I didn't feel the CR was worth the $400. Anyways I can see how you were way crowded in one room.
Mermaid4me

ASMO Apr 206
CR 205
ASMO 1999
Ofsite 1986
CR 1979

We stayed at AsMu this past weekend. It was our first time in a value. We usually stay at WL. We went down for the sneak preview of EE. We were only there 1 night. I don't think we will do a value again. It just wasn't for us. There was four of us and we felt cramped. Way too much noise. And everything is so spread out. We were in Country Fair which is way in the back. We had a car so it wasn't that bad. But I imagine it must be difficult if you don't have a car if you get one of the back buildings. That's a long hike to Harmony Hall. I will say I was very impressed with how clean the rooms were. Check in went very smoothly. We arrived about 6:30 and check in took five minutes. When we got back after dinner about 10:00 p.m. there must have been about 30-40 people checking in. Next time it's back to WL for us. It was not a bad experience, it just wasn't our cup of tea. That's what is so wonderful about WDW. There is something to please everyone. :)

see that is the problem....

I am afraid of trying anything else after the great experience at the poly but my checkbook is screaming at me :)

we are a family of five too and this is the reason I have started to scout some pool homes (EEEK) in the area...

a family of five or more is really hard to fit into Disney rooms unless you have endless $$$ supply

have not even thought about renting DVC points, may have to look into that

do you get room and ticket cards just like you do when you are on renting DVC??

Thanks for your honest review. DD and I stayed at All Star Mo least year and loved it. I will agree that the rooms are small but with only the two of us it was fine. I can see how it would be cramped for more people!

I'm sorry you did not like your room there. We just got back from POP today...we were there since last Sunday, Jan. 22, & loved it!!
There were 4 of us in the room...but we did not have a playpen like you did.

"On the upside, the room was clean, housekeeping was tops without having to tip, "

I'm sorry, but what do you mean by not having to tip? Just curious...

We stayed at Musik last year for 3 nights, It was not Port Orleans or the Villas at the Lodge (Which I prefer Over any Disney resort) :teeth: But it is ok for just a quick Disney fix.
I have been trying to get into FW for the last few weeks for the end of Feb. with no luck. Today I gave in when I called reservations to see if we could get into the Fort and there was still no vacancies, I asked if there were any rooms at All Sports. So we got Fl residents rates and are going there for 3 nights.
There is 4 of us in our family. We are not in the room that much and really we never had any complaints except last year when we were there it was during cheerleading comp. and with that there was quit a bit of noise. We were right by the food court and pool.

bethie said:
On the upside, the room was clean, housekeeping was tops without having to tip, the food court was clean and the fare tasty. My check in was quick and painless. The store on the premises was also very nice and even had some groceries.

I used the laundry facilities-$2 a load-30 minutes each for both washer and dryer, bring your own supplies.

Please, if you have any questions, just ask. Overall, I do not regret trying the values, but wished I had gumption to switch while we were there. I would not do them again.
Curious, why would you not tip? Where would you have to tip?

We've only stayed at ASMo and POR and while we enjoyed ASMo, POR was nicer as it should be since it costs more. I didn't have any complaints about ASMo though, I never heard any noise from anywhere and there were plenty of people there. I dunno I guess we're so tired after the parks that I wouldn't hear it if they held the Spectromagic Parade in my room. The room was smaller than POR, but there were just myself and my two children at ASMo. We're hardly ever in the room. I think I can understand though with an infant why you'd need more space/peace/quiet etc. I think though it's a good deal for people who are on a budget and can't stay on property unless they choose a value. It's clean and bright and if you're just going to sleep, maybe take a swim or two and eat at the food court it should be adequate (not fabulous, but a good solid place to stay). JMHO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter