Just back from AoA: Mini review

jimandami

DIS Veteran
Hi all! we are just back from 8 nights in a LK suite at AoA and I thought I would do a mini-review of our stay. It was myself, DH, DM, DS8, and DD3.

Room: We were in building 10 in room 7037, which was very close to the main pool, Animation Hall, and the buses. The view out of our window was Pumba, Timon, and Simba on the log, which was very cute. Only complaint I had about the location was that the nightly movie was played just outside our room and it was pretty loud when we were trying to get to sleep early. When we have more than 4, we usually rent points for a 2 bedroom villa so I was a little concerned the suite would feel too small, but it didn't at all. I thought we had plenty of room and having 2 baths was fantastic! The beds were all pretty comfortable and we took turns sleeping in different configurations. No one complained about the comfort of any bed. Having the kitchenette was nice, but would have LOVED a toaster! The decor was very cute and our room was very clean. No complaints at all about the room. We did not use wi-fi but had zero problems with cell service (Verizon). We also had no problems with the AC shutting off.

Resort: The resort was fantastically themed and we did enjoy staying there. The Nemo pool is very large and the splash pad was great for DD3. We also went to the Cars pool and although it is small, it wasn't crowded at all and we enjoyed it. The resort is huge but it never felt crowded at all. It was also nice to be so close to Pop because a couple times, if there was not an AoA bus available from a park, we just hopped on the Pop bus and walked across the bridge.

Buses: We had zero complaints about the buses. We never waited more than 10-15 minutes, and that was when we literally could see the bus pulling away as we walked up. At night, yes, the buses were crowded and people had to stand, but that is to be expected after nighttime shows. It was a little hard to only rely on buses when we are used to either MK or Epcot area resorts, though...especially when the only thing DD3 wanted to ride was the monorail! Literally, the child rode 4 rides in 8 days....4 rides!!!

Food: We ate a Landscape of Flavors several times and enjoyed the food. DS8 loved the grilled fish from the Tandoori station. The make your own pasta was very good and the chicken burger was great! Having said that, the chaos of the food court was just too much for me. Now, we are not used to staying at a resort with a food court, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but when you have 2 small kids and 3 adults and everyone wants something different, it just gives me a headache. Plus, we had the DDP for the 1st time and making sure we had a drink, sides, dessert, etc...was just a pain to me. Definitely would not do the DDP again (we had FD but will probably just use a RO discount in the future).

Overall, we definitely enjoyed the trip but when we were at Cape May Cafe, I found myself wishing we had stayed at BC! I am glad we tried it, especially since it is new, but I think I am just a deluxe girl at heart, so we will go back to either a RO discount or renting points for DVC. If anyone has questions, please feel free to ask!

Thanks for the review. :thumbsup2 We'll be there for just one night to check out the report. Glad the food is good and the pool is big. We move the the THV the next day but I couldn't help adding a night to check out the resort.

Thanks for the review. :thumbsup2 We'll be there for just one night to check out the report. Glad the food is good and the pool is big. We move the the THV the next day but I couldn't help adding a night to check out the resort.

You are welcome! Enjoy your trip!

we were also there for 8 days and left saturday.

I agree with everything you said!

The weather was perfect the entire time too. Rained one day and only for 2 hours, but it poured when it did!!

We LOVED the food court FOOD, but it was really chaotic and frantic. We were always feeling squished inside there. The way the drinks and desserts are set up too, puzzled me. In between the stations is the one small drink area. Put 3 people in there with trays and that area is maxed out! We had things from each station! The pasta and meatball sub were amazing!! Better than anywhere else!
I wish they had more dessert options, but oh well!

The only thing was walking a quarter milke to and from the food court from the LM for drinks was just too much. By the time we went back to our room, we were already needing a refill! They need a drink area in between, including laundry area.

THe major negative was we woke up with bites all over us and rashes. They had to come out and check for bed bugs and they said they were fine, nothing there, but we honestly don't believe them. They stripped our room, gave us new bedding, too. But our mouskeeping was no good. She never put on the main bed spreads. Mind you we don't use them, but they are nice to wsee walking in the room. We had to stay up until 1 a.m. waiting for them to clear out our room. Not sure what made us all get rashes and bites, but it made my daughter miserable. We were home yesterday, and she is as of this morning, almost cleared up and better. They were so bad she said she didn't want to go to school for the kids to see. Oh, well. If they said there were no bed bugs, then fine. But it must have been their laundry soap then, or something.

Other than that. Nice place, but we will be staying at the BC or POR next stay. No more values for us.

The weather was perfect the entire time too. Rained one day and only for 2 hours, but it poured when it did!!

We LOVED the food court FOOD, but it was really chaotic and frantic. We were always feeling squished inside there. The way the drinks and desserts are set up too, puzzled me. In between the stations is the one small drink area. Put 3 people in there with trays and that area is maxed out! We had things from each station! The pasta and meatball sub were amazing!! Better than anywhere else!

The only thing was walking a quarter milke to and from the food court from the LM for drinks was just too much. By the time we went back to our room, we were already needing a refill! They need a drink area in between, including laundry area.

THe major negative was we woke up with bites all over us and rashes. They had to come out and check for bed bugs and they said they were fine, nothing there, but we honestly don't believe them. They stripped our room, gave us new bedding, too. But our mouskeeping was no good. She never put on the main bed spreads. Mind you we don't use them, but they are nice to wsee walking in the room. We had to stay up until 1 a.m. waiting for them to clear out our room. Not sure what made us all get rashes and bites, but it made my daughter miserable. We were home yesterday, and she is as of this morning, almost cleared up and better. They were so bad she said she didn't want to go to school for the kids to see. Oh, well. If they said there were no bed bugs, then fine. But it must have been their laundry soap then, or something.

Other than that. Nice place, but we will be staying at the BC or POR next stay. No more values for us.

did they do any major landscaping while you were there?
it happened to us at pop century last year..
they did major landscaping in our section of the resort and that night all 3 of our rooms became infested with tiny bugs that must have been unearthed in the landscaping.

the fumigators had to come and completely bomb all three rooms - every inch of the walls and ceilings were covered with the bugs...

pretty disgusting!!!! :eek:

did they do any major landscaping while you were there?
it happened to us at pop century last year..
they did major landscaping in our section of the resort and that night all 3 of our rooms became infested with tiny bugs that must have been unearthed in the landscaping.

the fumigators had to come and completely bomb all three rooms - every inch of the walls and ceilings were covered with the bugs...

pretty disgusting!!!! :eek:

yes, actually there was! they tore up part of the LM section and put the sod squares back down. They were concerened, but dind't know why but kept us in the room until they were done. They should have changed our room, honestly. Especially with keeping us out of it until 1 am.

So LM is pretty far from the main building huh? This is the only thing thats stopping me from booking AoA for our next trip. Its just my DS12 and I, so a suite makes no sense. Not sure what to do.

Hi all! we are just back from 8 nights in a LK suite at AoA and I thought I would do a mini-review of our stay. It was myself, DH, DM, DS8, and DD3.

Room: We were in building 10 in room 7037, which was very close to the main pool, Animation Hall, and the buses. The view out of our window was Pumba, Timon, and Simba on the log, which was very cute.

Thanks for the great review! We leave next month for 8 nights. I orginally booked a Nemo suite for 6 nights, but when free dining came out was able to get two additional nights for the same price as our 6 night stay but the only caveat was they could only guarantee a 'family suite'. We do have a request in for either Nemo or LK already. I think I want to also request a room closer to lobby(busses, drink stations), but don't know how important that would be if we actually end up in either LK or Nemo.

What floor was your room on?

I was wondering if floor level played a part in you having no problem with cell service, while others say they have none. We too have Verizon, but was curious if the problem is more floor related not necessarily provider related.

So LM is pretty far from the main building huh? This is the only thing thats stopping me from booking AoA for our next trip. Its just my DS12 and I, so a suite makes no sense. Not sure what to do.

far is relative. I don't mind the walks on normals days, i am active, in shape, and very fit. However, we stop by to eat a snack and use our mugs before we go to the parks. instead of 4 of us carrying aroudn mugs at the park, we take them back to our room. Then we go from our room, to the busses, and at the end of the night after a day of walking, you walk back to your room.

we like to take one small camelpak with us to the parks, and put our personal stuff in there along with medicine. other than that, theres no need or place to store the 4 mugs.

In all honesty, it was just too much for us. especailly with our daughter falling asleep on the bus, and carrying her 50 lbs self to the resort after getting off the bus. WE did end up driving our tahoe up by the food court and left it there for the end of the night and stored our mugs in there after a few days, but still. too much. There isn't shade either. So, to walk from the farthest LM room with no shade at all was really hot, then back to the room, then back to the busses. I couldn't imagine doing it mid full blazing summer.

Most moderate and delux offer more compressed, but open rseort and have nice shaded areas, etc.

We loved it, but it was just too far. We would stay there again if they had another mini station, laundry facility,etc closer to the LM section for sure. However, we will be staying else where because of it. We don't need a suite either.

It may be ok to try for a day or so, but for 8 days, we kind pretty spent

Omg...sorry about the bugs...yuck!! Except for a few love bugs at the pool, we had zero bug problems. I think the food court thing for us was that our kids are still small and it felt like we were constantly trying to juggle them, a tray or two, and traipse back and forth from station to station. Then we would realize we had to get a dessert. Then we would realize we forgot adult drinks...just silly stuff. If they were a bit older and could get their own food, it might have been a better experience.

Room: We were in building 10 in room 7037, which was very close to the main pool, Animation Hall, and the buses. The view out of our window was Pumba, Timon, and Simba on the log, which was very cute.

Thanks for the great review! We leave next month for 8 nights. I orginally booked a Nemo suite for 6 nights, but when free dining came out was able to get two additional nights for the same price as our 6 night stay but the only caveat was they could only guarantee a 'family suite'. We do have a request in for either Nemo or LK already. I think I want to also request a room closer to lobby(busses, drink stations), but don't know how important that would be if we actually end up in either LK or Nemo.

What floor was your room on?

I was wondering if floor level played a part in you having no problem with cell service, while others say they have none. We too have Verizon, but was curious if the problem is more floor related not necessarily provider related.

We were on the 3rd floor and didn't have trouble. As far as location, I actually think building 10 (LK) or building 1 (Cars), puts you in a great location relative to the pool, Animation Hall, and buses. None of the suites seemed very far from those places, though. I did comment to DH many times that LM seemed closer to Pop than AoA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter