Just Back from AKL

We just checked out of Kidani today - our 3rd stay and it was definitely more full than previous trips. We did not get our room until approx 3:30, but were in 7302 so we had no problem waiting (didn't know the exact number, but CM told us the section when we checked in). They had preassigned a room that was ready, but much farther away - since my mom has some disabilities we opted to wait for a different location and it was perfect - low floor and close to the lobby.

We love Kidani, but had some bell service issues. Basically delays given the number of people needing assistance. Front desk CM's were wonderful as always and Sanaa was our best meal of the week. Had some temp differences in the master bedroom vs the living room, but not anything major. The air just wasn't as cool in the master.

I have to disagree about the bus service - that was the big downside to us. I really think that they have stretched themselves too far. With the exception of one or 2 times - every bus we had was standing room only by the time we left Jambo house and the buses on the way back from the parks. Not particularly odd or busy times of day, just lots of people. The wait wasn't bad, but the ride was uncomfortable - often holding a child and a stroller while standing.

Had a late room availability on check-in on 5/30. The studio for DS and family was ready @ 3:00, but 2BR villa wasn't ready until 4:25. We had been up all night and ready to relax and unwind!

AKV is our absolute favorite, but, once again, bus transportation not the best. We had many long trips, usually standing, by the time the buses came from Kidani. What surprises me is all the young teenaged, or a little older, riders who remain sitting while their elders in their 60's, or older, struggle to remain standing with the twists, turns, and jerky stops.

Since 4331 is nearly to the end of Kudu Trail, I DO consider it far from the lobby!!:eek:

BurntToast - good tip, where is the Zazu elevator?

Zazu is the elevator in the "blue" section, which is in the 72xx-75xx section towards the end of that hall. Parking sections #1 through 4 or so.

I'm not trying to be confrontational and I'm not trying to get flamed, but I don't understand some of the hostility with some of OP's post. Check in is 4:00PM. If at 4:15 you received a $50 credit, I think you're pretty darn lucky since check in time isn't guaranteed. If your delivery time to your room was between 5-7 and it arrived at 6:55, it was within the window. I stayed at Kidani 5/18 - 5/27 and my walk to Jambo took less than 10 minutes. And just based on our experience with the buses, it took less than 25 minutes for us to get to DTD and about 15 minutes to get to MK. I certainly have empathy for your frustration, but it sounds like OP may be exaggerating some of the "shortcomings" a little to make a point.

I am sorry, but check in time is 3:00 p.m. unless you are DVC, then it is 4:00 p.m. She wasn't complaining that her room wasn't ready, she just was tired and wanted a room. The nice lady at the desk gave her the $50 credit. She did not ask for it. As for the bus ride times, Those can vary a lot based on traffic. The DTD bus stops at a water park so if there is a lot of activity and the traffic is bad, it can take time. Unless you were there you have no idea how long the OP actually waited. Your post was confrontational from the beginning. And personally I believe it was out of line.

To the OP, I am glad you had a great trip. Some of those rooms at the ends of trails are a long ways off, but I always think that AKL is a great stay. Its my favorite resort on property. Will be staying there again next month and cannot wait. Its a beautiful resort. I even offered my son his choice of resort before booking and he still went with AKL (shucks). LOL.

Op can comment more on your welcome package. Would love to know the details and why it was not worth it. We are going for my ds 11th b-day and trying to deside on extra. Tia

Just got back too & had 5331 and I agree w/ OP that it is a LONG walk. Every time you need to go to the lobby, down to the Mara, pool, etc. & back to you room it does take awhile & gets old quickly. I also felt that the hallways were hot--especially everytime to go through a connecting walkway that is great for viewing, but it's sunny & hotter. When you have to walk through 4 of them to get to your room, it's annoying.

I love AKL, but the bus situation is very crowded frequently. They need to have separate buses for Kidani & Jambo whenever both hotels are crowded or at the busy times of the day.

Op can comment more on your welcome package. Would love to know the details and why it was not worth it. We are going for my ds 11th b-day and trying to deside on extra. Tia

The kids were THRILLED with the package (they really thought Mickey & Minnie left it!). There was a "surprise" sign on our room door, and a "celebrate" sign on our sliding doors to the balcony. There was a bucket of "welcome" Mickey crispie treats, plus a picture frame, a photo album, a customized blanket, big white Mickey hands, a Hidden Mickey book and stuffed animals. It's not that it wasn't fun, I just think I could have spent my money on other things instead. If money isn't issue, go for it! Your daughter will definately like it.

I am sorry, but check in time is 3:00 p.m. unless you are DVC, then it is 4:00 p.m. She wasn't complaining that her room wasn't ready, she just was tired and wanted a room. The nice lady at the desk gave her the $50 credit. She did not ask for it. As for the bus ride times, Those can vary a lot based on traffic. The DTD bus stops at a water park so if there is a lot of activity and the traffic is bad, it can take time. Unless you were there you have no idea how long the OP actually waited. Your post was confrontational from the beginning. And personally I believe it was out of line.

To the OP, I am glad you had a great trip. Some of those rooms at the ends of trails are a long ways off, but I always think that AKL is a great stay. Its my favorite resort on property. Will be staying there again next month and cannot wait. Its a beautiful resort. I even offered my son his choice of resort before booking and he still went with AKL (shucks). LOL.

Thanks!:littleangel: I really did LOVE the resort and like I said, would go again tomorrow if I could afford it! You know, I thought check-in was 3:00. I wrote it down as 3, but just assumed I was wrong when the CM at the check-in desk said it was 4:00. Can anyone confirm what time check-in really is?

I'm not trying to be confrontational and I'm not trying to get flamed, but I don't understand some of the hostility with some of OP's post. Check in is 4:00PM. If at 4:15 you received a $50 credit, I think you're pretty darn lucky since check in time isn't guaranteed. If your delivery time to your room was between 5-7 and it arrived at 6:55, it was within the window. I stayed at Kidani 5/18 - 5/27 and my walk to Jambo took less than 10 minutes. And just based on our experience with the buses, it took less than 25 minutes for us to get to DTD and about 15 minutes to get to MK. I certainly have empathy for your frustration, but it sounds like OP may be exaggerating some of the "shortcomings" a little to make a point.

Wow.. Someone havin a bad day?? LOL!!! Why would someone "exaggerate" about this?? HA!!

We really want to stay here but the buses are something that really worries me. We would be going during free dining Aug 20-28.
Does anyone know what the buses would be like then???

We have stayed at CBR before and the buses have to travel to the other bus stops before going towards the park, so we are trying to figure out how long we were on those buses to the parks. It is MK that I am most concerned about.
Any thoughts or help?

We really want to stay here but the buses are something that really worries me. We would be going during free dining Aug 20-28.
Does anyone know what the buses would be like then???

We have stayed at CBR before and the buses have to travel to the other bus stops before going towards the park, so we are trying to figure out how long we were on those buses to the parks. It is MK that I am most concerned about.
Any thoughts or help?

We must have been there on a good week, I guess, because we always had a seat on the bus and never had to wait long for the busses coming home from the parks. We didn't experience any of the things that others have. That being said, I would think free dining would be a crowded time of the year and the busses would reflect that. You could always rent a car!

We do rent a car so it would really be MK that we would use the busing for b/c there really is no good parking there. We would have to park at TTC then take the boat or monorail and then that wouldn't be saving any time.

How long did it take to get to AK or DHS?

Sounds like you had a great trip. Dh has already expressed that he doesnt' want to go in 2011. That if I want to go just take the girls. I'm thinking of doing it but they will be 5 and 3. My 5 year old will be fine. It's just the 3 year old I'm worried about. I think if I go it would be in April and my parents would be going anyeay. But they always stay moderate and I'm thinking I want to stay at either AKL or WL.

My DH has a limit of once a year, we have passes and I take the kids by myself and have never had a problem. I will say when they were smaller I stuck to the monorail hotels and used a rental car to get to the other parks. We have never used the bus system. Also, we always stay in a "under one roof concept resort" main building GF, Tower CR, or WL, this makes getting around with the kids much easier. Invite your DH down for just a day or so mine will usually show up that way especially if he can combine with some sort of business in the southeast. Seems he can take a day or two just not 8 days.:goodvibes:goodvibes

How long did it take to get to AK or DHS?

AK was less than 10 minutes. I can't remember exactly how long DHS was, but I don't remember it being a problem (we did rope drop that day and I think it was less than 20 minutes).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter