Just back from AKL

Thanks for the review. We leave for AKL on Sept. 9; we fell in love with it when we ate at Jiko. Glad to hear that staying there can be just as wonderful as walking through!

Thanks so much for your wonderful post! We were excited already about our upcoming September stay, but now are over the moon about it!

Yea, unfortunately there were no pool rooms available within our promotion left. So we will have the standard room (hope for a decent view, but understand it might not be...). We tend to spend most of our time at the parks anyway, but plan on making it a point to explore AKL...even if it's from public viewing areas! :)

Either way, I am sure we'll have a nice time!

Let me explain about standard rooms at AKL. The only thing you will miss is coffee on the balcony with the animals or the pool. The "public" viewing areas are alcoves and secluded areas, fun to sit and enjoy a cocktail or tea and just watch. The animals are not necessarily out first thing in the morning as this is their "grain diet" time. More like 10 to 2 is the best time to view LOTS of animals. Also viewing at night when they are just out grazing on the savannah. I would book a standard room any day there.

At Kidani, you have three choices, Savannah, Parking lot or a very limited number of pool view (called water view) rooms. However, the pool will have its own savannah come September 1 and then the pool view may very well turn into a water/savannah view room. . .lol.

Oh, and thank you for the clarification on the bathrooms. . .I thought it sounded odd. That's why I mentioned that I could not verify. . .

we just got back from 5 nights at Sports and 2 nights at AKL. Ressie was for standard but we were upgraded to "obstructed view" savanna. Their was no obstruction, we saw lots of animals. We were in the corner but it was great. We were celebrating 25th anniversary so maybe that helped us get the upgrade.:thumbsup2

It doesn't really matter whether you have a savannah view. It really is like having a great resort stuck in the middle of an african safari. Viewing spots of animals are everywhere. Great little alcoves for relaxing and getting away from it all.

AKL sounds great. You got me thinking and looking into staying there. I will definitely be doing some strong consideration if a great deal comes out when we want to go.

Thanks for the info on the Standard Rooms as well.

Some of the standard rooms do have a terrible location/view though - facing the wall that separate the rooms from the buses...I heard those are now Villa value studios, but I could not stand a room like that.

Last year someone posted some rooms numbers of std rooms that had a good, albeit side view, of a Savannah - thought I'd saved the link, but cannot find it right now. Will post it if I find it...

Glad you enjoyed AKL so much - I was surprised at how much we enjoyed it when it first opened. Fabulous...and we did not mind the buses at all. :) Wonderful resort!

Love your report :-) - We are off to AKL on friday for our 3rd trip there, sooooooooooooo excited. Only 6 sleeps!! We are in love with this amazing hotel....... glad you had a fab time.

nurse.darcy,
Thank you so much for your love story about AKL! We are almost definitely tacking on 3 nights at AKL for our anniversary celebration next summer, and your report has made me even MORE excited about it! I cannot wait!

Just a few ?? How was the "adult" slide at Kidani (did you try it)? What did you order at Jiko? Did you try Sanaa?

Again, thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter