• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just Back from AKL-Great as expected!

CBCit

Love the Mousecat
Just returned from a 4 night stay at AKL and we loved it. The hotel is beautiful and surrounds you with a feeling of being in another place,which is very special. We had a standard room on the Ostrich trail,it was lovely and our balcony, although overlooking the parking lot, basically gave a view of the landscaping and was still pretty. The room,#5117,was very quiet and mousekeeping did a great job. We walked around to visit the animals at many different locations and were not sorry we saved the $80 per night by going with the standard room. This money was well spent elsewhere. We had diner at Boma one night,very good and different. I was a little disappointed in the Zebra Domes,although good,they did not live up to their reputation. Mara was fine,it serves its purpose for a quick bite,although the selections are more limited then at the mod and value food courts.Although small,it never got to crowded in the mornings for breakfast. My son was disappointed with the arcade,the one at Pop Century blew this away,but he got over it.My only complaint was that seating around the pool was at a premium.It was a little to crowded for comfort. What would help so much would be if people would drop their used towels off when they leave the area and not leave them on the chairs. I watched people all day wondering what chairs were really taken and many were vacant and left empty all day because noone knew for sure. Most people were to polite to just take the chair if a towel was on it. They had a lovely(but expensive)pool bar,with waitress service at the lounge chairs,which I took advantage of. The hot tubs were very nice and never crowded. All the staff was pleasant and we enjoyed viewing the animals one night with the night vision goggles. We missed the story telling and the staff singing unfortunately.
The AKL is a great place to stay and I would recommend it to anyone and would advise trying to leave time free to spend at the resort and truly enjoy it!

Thanks for the review! We're going to be staying at AKL one night (pool view) in a couple weeks and your post couldn't make me any happier :goodvibes I can't wait to check out the pool. Did you happen to go on the pool slide?

:teeth:

I have a bad back and did not go on the pool slide. My 14 year old DS,(who was not happy with the arcade)also felt the slide was for babies.All the younger kids seemed to be loving it. I think if he had some of his buddies with him they would have had some fun with it,but he felt funny being older and on his own. And despite not liking the slide or arcade he still loved the AKL and would go back in a heartbeat.

Glad you had a great visit at AKL. It's my favorite resort. By the way, my SIL went down the pool slide and she is 39. I wasn't feeling well (major sinus infection), so I didn't try it out but I plan to next time. :banana:

Hi and welcome back~We are leaving for AKL on Wednesday and I am so glad to hear that you were content with the standard view. I am a bit worried about it because that is what we booked too. I just couldn't justify spending almost 100 dollars more a day either. I wondered once we check in if we could upgrade for less, was that something you inquired about? I know we will enjoy it no matter what. Do you recall what time the storytelling is at the fire pit? Waitress service alongside the pool does sound wonderful! Thanks for sharing the trip report, sure gets us excited for our trip! :goodvibes

Just a word of warning...the pool view isn't that much more than the standard view...we had a standard view of the parking lot and could hear all sorts of road noise, trucks backing up, rumbling...ect.

Great review, thanks for posting! Glad to hear you had a good time. We're staying at AKL for the 1st time in July (pool view). Can't wait!! :goodvibes

When we stayed at AKL in November they gave us an automatic upgrade to Savanna view. If they don't upgrade you automatically, make sure you ask for it when you check in. Most of the time you will get it! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the AKL!

ITA about the pool chairs & towels. But, that happens at all the resorts.... My DS & I thought the pool slide more geared towards little guys.....

Thanks for the review. We really enjoyed AKL in April when we were there.

I didn't ask about upgrading at check in. Our standard room faced the front of the hotel but was located to one side of the main entrance and away from the bus stop area. It was absolutely quiet. We heard some people whose room entrance was over the lobby complaining that they felt their room was to noisy,but we were further down the hall. We did not do a pool view because this was unavailable using the Florida resident discount, our choices were standard at $139 or savannah for $220. The standard room was perfect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter