Just Back From a Week at Disneyland

Carl4628

Mouseketeer
We had a great week at Disneyland and just wanted to share some observations.

1) Maxpass is awesome! Especially for stacking them in the evening. On an evening where DCA was at crowd level 9 we had maxpasses for: Radiator Springs, Guardians, Soarin’, Incredicoaster, TMM and Goofys Sky School. All between 5PM and 9PM.

2) Overall, the parks were extremely crowded, but was very manageable when you plan ahead.

3) Food and Halloween snacks were great. We did the Blue Bayou Fantasmic package. First to be sat at lunch and had a waterside table and the seats for Fantasmic were front and center. Lamplight lounge was much better than anticipated. Walt’s chili was very good at Carnation Cafe.

4) Character and castmember interactions were great.

5) Security lines on the Harbour side were very long at times, but the line moved quickly.

6) If you are attending MM make sure to get there at least 30 minutes prior to opening. It started at 7AM and we arrived at 6:45 and lines in Fantasyland were already very long.

Overall, a very good trip.

Last edited:
We are going in November, and this will be our first trip with Maxpass. Can you give me some details about how to "stack" them? Thanks!

We are going in November, and this will be our first trip with Maxpass. Can you give me some details about how to "stack" them? Thanks!

I'm not an expert user like some (only used maxpass once so far) but the way I was planning to do it, is grab passes for later in the night as I see them pop up, when I'm doing something like eating, waiting for princess', ect. Basically anytime I might not need a maxpass for the 1.5 hours I have to wait until I can pick the new one. Also always pick a new maxpass as soon as you've used your current one. Sometimes it's hard to keep track of the time but if you just keep checking the app it will tell you when you can pick a new one. You can grab passes for DL while in DCA or visa versa so if you're paying attention and know you'll be back at the other park later that night you can kind of make a plan for those stacked passes. By day two we were much more adept at using it too, so give yourself some time to adjust if you have it!

We stacked passes while the kids were napping and we were at the hotel. Just add a new fp very time you’re allowed.

You can book a new FPs via maxpass once your window opens with a minimum wait of 30 mins and a maximum wait of 90 mins.

Examples:
  1. At 9 am you book a FPs for RSR with a return of 9:10 am, you can pull a new fastpass once you scan in at the ride or at 9:30 am whichever is earlier.
  2. At 9 am you book a FPs for RSR with a return of 10 am, you can pull a new fastpass at 10 am regardless of if you've used the last one or not.
  3. At 9 am you book a FPs for RSR with a return of 5 pm, you can pull a new fastpass at 10:30 am.
Since you can hold multiple FPs at once, you can apply each of the examples to see get multiple return times "stacked" together. This will usually occur later in the day when most of your FPs will look similar to Example 3 above.

Glad you had a great trip! My goal is to be better at stacking maxpass this trip!
For stacking, you have to watch the return times deligently, and know what rides are the most popular.
On DL the most popular rides are:
1. Space mountain
2. Indy
3. Haunted mansion (for Halloween and Christmas)
4. Star Tours
5. Matterhorn (it’s going to open next month so I’m sure it’s going to go fast)

On DCA the most popular rides are:
1. RSR
2. Incredicoaster
3. Guardians
4. Soarin
5. TSMM

*grizzly and splash mountain go fast but usually when it’s above 80

We went back to the resort from DL to allow our daughter to take a nap at around 1 PM. Starting at about 11:30 AM, I booked RSR followed by Soarin, Guardians, TMM, Incredicoaster and GSS. You can book one every 90 mins and you can cancel and rebook the last FP made. If you reserve them in the above order, you should be able to stack at least 6 for the evening. We could have booked a few more, but we travel from the east coast and staying up late is difficult.

Early in the day it is best to reserve MPs for the ones closest to the current time which will allow you to ride several rides in the early AM.

Last edited:
@sgrap you can’t book a 2nd fp on a ride until you’ve used the first one.

Ex: 9 am book RSR for 11. You can get a new fp at 10:30 but it can’t be at RSR. At 11 after you use rsr fp you could get another RSR fp for evening.

Stacking for evening is my favorite strategy. It worked beautifully for us on our girls' trip in June. Used MP normally until around 11:00 am. Then booked an after-dark RSR. 90 minutes later, booked a 6-ish GotG. 90 minutes after that, IC somewhere in the evening mix. Finally, a later Soarin'. A three hour break in the afternoon didn't affect our ability to ride headliners later in the afternoon even a little bit.

You can do the same at DL. The first one to book is Space, obvs. Then whatever you want to do that comes up with a usable time, then another usable time, etc.

6) If you are attending MM make sure to get there at least 30 minutes prior to opening. It started at 7AM and we arrived at 6:45 and lines in Fantasyland were already very long.

Overall, a very good trip.[/QUOTE]

could you please define long lines at Fantasyland and what exactly was your location in Disneyland at 6:45

The only 'drawback' to max pass is that it costs an extra $10 per day (or $75 for the year for AP), but you get the free pictures for the day. You also have to be in the park before you can start using it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter