• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back from 6/9-6/16 trip - strategies that we learned from

This is a big issue at Epcot. There is so muck open space too so I really wish they would add some benches and shaded pavilions. I love this park but pray for a cloudy day... LOL

Oh no. I am staying there in Sept. I don't really drink soda and figured I would just mostly have lemonade, but I am NOT a fan of Pomegranate. I guess I will stick with water.
I wish they would add freestyle machines,
I have a love/hate relationship with them. Love the options, hate how slow they are to use. Such long lines build for them! And they get out of calibration so easily to where you have no idea where to touch to select something, which only causes it to slow down even more.

Oh no. I am staying there in Sept. I don't really drink soda and figured I would just mostly have lemonade, but I am NOT a fan of Pomegranate. I guess I will stick with water.

Port Orleans French Quarter has freestyle machines. I don't do sugar drinks usually so one of my work arounds on the other machines is adding a little bit of something to slightly flavor the water. No issues with pomegranate though. I haven't seen any other freestyles on property- but I have read that Yacht Club and Caribbean Beach have them. Basically anywhere they remodel should get them installed.

Thank you for sharing! I agree with all your points on dealing with the weather, except we do find some comfort in our Frogg Togg cooling towels. It's hard to understand how truly hot and humid it is in FL until you've experienced it, especially how exhausted the weather can make you feel.

We all wear only wick-away clothing for our main park touring. Even for underthings, I make certain no one is bringing 100% cotton clothing ::yes::. I've learned, too, to protect our feet with Body Glide and have a few pairs of shoes each to rotate. While we all love our Skecher Go Walks, given the likely rain and almost certain high temperatures, these do not go with us to Disney in the summer/early fall.
It sounds like you had a great trip and all your planning paid off!

Great review! We were there the same week because my H was there for the same conference. :) I agree with pretty much everything you said, too! I originally wasn't even going to go on the trip with him because I hate the heat and humidity in FL so much during the summer months, but I decided to join him at the last minute. That made me remember why in 2000, on our last WDW in August trip, I said "We're never doing WDW in the summertime again!" :rotfl2: H and I just don't tolerate that kind of weather well, unfortunately...so most of our 20+ trips have been in the fall or winter.

Did you and/or your family actually attend the event at Universal? We opted to go to WDW instead because I get motion sickness on a lot of Universal rides, and we have WDW APs, so the price of admission was already covered.

One last thing...we opted to stay at one of the "included" hotels (AKA, one that H's company would pay for) for this trip, so it was our first time ever staying offsite. We were at the Doubletree near Disney Springs. The hotel was perfectly nice, but I reaaalllllyyy missed staying onsite and not having to deal with driving everywhere! I know it doesn't bother some people, but for us it really takes away from the enjoyment of the trip, so in a way it was nice to stay offsite once just to validate the 24 years and plenty of extra $$$ we've spent over the years to stay onsite. :)

I couldn't imagine caring about what I wear to Disney World unless I was there to "meet" someone. hhhmmm...

We like to look like ourselves in our vacation pictures. The kids post everything to social media accounts (they’re young adults) so we don’t do the ratty t-shirts thing.

Great report, thank you! So the question is, would you go back this time of year again?

Definitely not. Well, not unless DH has another work conference to attend there again. :rotfl2:If he did, then I'd do fewer park days and have a routine of 1 park day, followed by 1 rest day.

Great review! We were there the same week because my H was there for the same conference. :) I agree with pretty much everything you said, too! I originally wasn't even going to go on the trip with him because I hate the heat and humidity in FL so much during the summer months, but I decided to join him at the last minute. That made me remember why in 2000, on our last WDW in August trip, I said "We're never doing WDW in the summertime again!" :rotfl2: H and I just don't tolerate that kind of weather well, unfortunately...so most of our 20+ trips have been in the fall or winter.

Did you and/or your family actually attend the event at Universal? We opted to go to WDW instead because I get motion sickness on a lot of Universal rides, and we have WDW APs, so the price of admission was already covered.

One last thing...we opted to stay at one of the "included" hotels (AKA, one that H's company would pay for) for this trip, so it was our first time ever staying offsite. We were at the Doubletree near Disney Springs. The hotel was perfectly nice, but I reaaalllllyyy missed staying onsite and not having to deal with driving everywhere! I know it doesn't bother some people, but for us it really takes away from the enjoyment of the trip, so in a way it was nice to stay offsite once just to validate the 24 years and plenty of extra $$$ we've spent over the years to stay onsite. :)

My DH went to the Universal event. He could bring 1 adult guest and it didn't seem fair for the 2 of us to go to Harry Potter world but not have the kids with us, so I stayed behind with the kids. DH didn't enjoy many of the rides because he hates roller coasters. He loved all of the food options though.

Frestyle machines would be nice -- they do have them at some resort QS.

I don't drink much soda, and can't do the non-sodas on the fountain drink machines they have because they have artificial sweeteners. So I go for the hot tea and iced tea [iced tea is Gold Peak and they have 4 flavours].

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter