Just back from 5 days at BWI. Questions anyone?+My top 11 tips!

TimNJ

Earning My Ears
Hey!

My partner and I just returned from a 5 day stay at the world. We stayed in a standard view room at the BWI. I’d be happy to answer any questions if I can.

I thought I’d give you my best tips. Just some things we have learned over the years to make our trips more successful:

1. We always fly in the night before our check-in day and stay off site at a cheap hotel. We usually get this via Priceline or Expedia. We can put up with anything for 1 night. Then we get up first thing, check into our resort, store the luggage and hit the parks running. Nothing is worse than wasting half a day on travel.

2. We always rent a car. Sure Disney has good transportation, but waiting is not our strong suit. We like to be on our own timetable as much as possible. This year we got an amazing deal with National.(about $22 a day) They let us use a discount code AND a coupon on the same reservation. Thanks for the discount info Mousesavers.com!

3. We always valet park our car at the resort. We think it’s well worth the money. And when you are ready to use it again, call down to the valet stand and they will have it waiting for you within 10 minutes. Just keep track of the check stub they give you. Our rule is to tip the valet who brings us our car, usually $2. Bring lots of singles along on your trip.

4. There are king beds available at the BWI under the standard view rate. I was offered one without even asking. I guess I assumed they all had 2 queen beds only. Our room was fantastic with not such a bad view. We had a balcony overlooking the villas and the circle drive in the back on the 4th floor.

5. Take naps! The best time as everyone knows in the parks is early morning. We always make sure we are back in the room by 1pm or 2pm for a nice long nap or swim. It’s a good idea to call housekeeping when you leave the morning to request an early room clean. That way there is no doubt that your room will be done and I think the housekeepers appreciate an early start too!

6. On the attractions that are really popular, we like to get a fast pass first thing in the morning, then get in the stand-by line to ride. Then we automatically have a 2nd ride scheduled usually within the hour using the FP.

7. FAST PASS SECRET! Though they will not allow you into the FP return before your alotted time, they WILL honor it anytime the rest of the day. Even if the return time has passed. We did this several times and no one gave it a 2nd thought. This allows you to hold 2 fast passes if you need to. And you don’t have to knock yourself out sprinting all over the park.

8. When you have a meal reservation at a resort near one of the parks, they often will give you a 2 hour time limit to park. But if you valet park, you can stay as long as you want. They don’t care if you stay all night. For example, we had a 5:30 dinner at California Grill. We valet parked, and spent the rest of the evening at MK. When the park closed at 11pm, we took the monorail back to CR and picked up our car with about a 2 minute wait.

9. The benches at Epcot aren’t necessarily bolted down! We snagged a good place to see Illuminations right in front of Norway, except that it was facing away from the lagoon. We just assumed we would turn our bodies around when the time came. But after about 45 minutes sitting there, it suddenly dawned on us that we could reverse the bench and have the most comfortable seat imagineable. It was amazing, and I really don’t think they mind. Correct me if I am wrong. Now I wouldn’t advise picking up a bench and moving it too far. That may be pushing your luck.

10. When traveling between the Boardwalk and MGM, we always get on or off at Swan/Dolphin and walk. It just saves time on that slow, slow boat.

11. We wear these great socks from Target called Cool Max. They keep our feet very dry and supported for all of the walking we do. They were a little hard to find. In fact we ONLY wear them on our Disney trips and put them away in the drawer after the trip. I also like to tie my tennis shoes a little tighter than usual so that your foot doesn’t slide around a lot.

That being said, poor partner ended up with horrible blisters. He simply did not have the right fitting shoes and it was our own fault. Band aids and advil helped. Bring lots from home.

I think that’s about it. It was a fantastic time with amazing weather. Questions anyone?

Hey Tim,
Great report! How were the crowds in the park? Did you get to Epcot and if so where did you eat. We're thinking about heading down this time next year>

Thanks,

E

Tim,
Great tips!! I hadn't thought about a bunch of those. We do employ the nap/swim technique. Keeps DH from getting crabby about 1pm...not a pretty sight! :)

We actually walk all the way from MGM because we are not good at waiting either and the boats are fun, but sloooow. Our mantra is...if you can choose to walk or ride at WDW, WALK! It helps us with our other mantra...eat, drink and be merry!! :)

We've had the same problem finding the cool-max socks all the time at Target...it seems like they will be out of them for like months!

Don't you just love the BW area?

Some questions, if you don't mind:

1. Do you remember what code and coupon you used with National? I am a psycho about getting the best car deals at National, but I am not happy about our price for our upcoming trip next week. I've gotten it down a bit, but again, not really happy. TIA.

2. Love the idea of calling housekeeping as our nap schedule does not always work out with their cleaning schedule. I assume you just call housekeeping and give them the heads up or do you actually ask to have someone clean it right away?

3. Was it warm enough to swim?

Again, thanks for your help!

eliza61 said:
Hey Tim,
Great report! How were the crowds in the park? Did you get to Epcot and if so where did you eat. We're thinking about heading down this time next year>

Thanks,

E

Did we get to Epcot? Only my favorite park so YES :thumbsup2 In fact we made a point of seeing Illuminations 3 times, assuming that the next time we go it may be changed.

In Epcot we ate at Le Cellier, which is no doubt their most popular restaurant. We could only get a dinner reservation at 4:50, but that was ok. It was good and service was nice if a little bit overly attentive. :smooth:

It was not uncrowded, I won't kid you. I think the secret is out. Especially on Friday night at Epcot which was an extra hour night. Very crowded and EVERYONE zooms right to Soarin and Test Track so they are loaded the whole time. The week days were much better. We really wanted to go and soak up the Christmas spirit this time, but I think we will opt for Jan again on the next trip.

We just got back Sun. from BWI. We did the dinner and candlelight processional on Thursday night. We went to the 5:00 show and it wasn't bad, but when we got out the line was long......... I though Epcot was pretty crowded that night.
Had fastpasses for soarin on Sunday and there was a wide-spread power outage that closed it down for a while.

[/QUOTE]We actually walk all the way from MGM because we are not good at waiting either and the boats are fun, but sloooow. Our mantra is...if you can choose to walk or ride at WDW, WALK! It helps us with our other mantra...eat, drink and be merry!! :)

We've had the same problem finding the cool-max socks all the time at Target...it seems like they will be out of them for like months!

Don't you just love the BW area?

Some questions, if you don't mind:

1. Do you remember what code and coupon you used with National? I am a psycho about getting the best car deals at National, but I am not happy about our price for our upcoming trip next week. I've gotten it down a bit, but again, not really happy. TIA.

2. Love the idea of calling housekeeping as our nap schedule does not always work out with their cleaning schedule. I assume you just call housekeeping and give them the heads up or do you actually ask to have someone clean it right away?

3. Was it warm enough to swim?

Again, thanks for your help![/QUOTE]

We are usually all for walking too, but the blisters slowed us down. Our last trip we had no problems and I think we just got cocky. You have to consider all of the elements, socks, shoes, dryness etc.

Yes those cool max socks are elusive. I went to about 3 different Targets collecting them. That is why we decided to save them just for Disney trips. Seems silly, but they will keep their size and then we don't have to scramble evey 2 or 3 years when we go. I just washed them last night and squirrled them away.

1. Go here to see how to combine discounts for National. We always use them. This year we picked a brand new car, a Chevy HHR (kinda like a PT Cruiser) . It had exactly 3 miles on it when we got in. mmmm Can you say new car smell? We paid $124 for 6 days. http://www.mousesavers.com/national.html

2. When we were ready to walk out the door (usually 7:30 or 8am), I would hit the housekeeping button on the phone, and say "We are leaving the room right now, is it possible to get an early cleaning" and they always said sure it was no problem. I think they probably appreciate it. They probably spend some time waiting for people to leave anyway. When we would return around 1:30 or 2, we would still see them i the hall with carts cleaning and were always glad we had called ahead.

3. We were extrmely lucky to have 85 degree weather each day and it was warm enought to swim. We usually go in January, and it is almost impossible at that time. I went to the quiet pool at the Boardwalk. Iwas very quiet since I was the only one there!

glad to help. We LOVE the boardwalk. Have a good trip!

nowellsl said:
We just got back Sun. from BWI. We did the dinner and candlelight processional on Thursday night. We went to the 5:00 show and it wasn't bad, but when we got out the line was long......... I though Epcot was pretty crowded that night.
Had fastpasses for soarin on Sunday and there was a wide-spread power outage that closed it down for a while.

OH yes, I forgot about the power outage. We had to miss the Canada movie and The American Adventure that day because of the power being out. It seemed to affect every other country for some reason. They had it fixed by the next day.

I have to agree, it was more crowded than we expected. But fun to be there for Christmas none the less.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter