Just back from 4n/5d at CSR

Tiffany

DIS Veteran
Hi All,

We took a holiday weekend trip to WDW as I did not think that I was going to be able to make it all the way to our Sept trip without a trip in between.

We decided to go with a moderate on this trip, even though the last time we stayed at a moderate was back in 1997 when we stayed at CBR. Since then we have only stayed at the deluxe resorts. We figured since we stayed AKL Concierge in Jan and were staying at the Dolphin, as of right now, and if AP rates come out for Sept poss. changing to the AKL again that we would go with a moderate on an AP rate for our May trip to save a little money. This was a mistake.

Even though we knew going in that the CSR had double beds and that it is set up like a motel instead of a hotel and the size and everything else we did not appriciate the differences until we were there. Don't get me wrong CSR is beautiful, the landscaping is well maintained and the grounds are great. But.

1. You could here every flush, every shower and even the laundry cart when it moved on the floor above us. We were in Cabanas 8B room 8506 on the first floor. We did not care of this.

2. The double beds. We sleep on a queen at home. We have been married for going on 11yrs and the last time we slept on a double must have been back in 1997 when we stayed at CBR. We are not big people but the experiance of having to sleep in a double bed we did not enjoy. For this reason alone we would be hard pressed to stay at a moderate again. I truely did not think that double beds would be an issue before the trip.

3. The main pool area. While it is very pretty it just did not seem big enough for the size of the resort. It was packed and very loud. The pool side bar and food service window was not staffed to deal with the crowds. We enjoyed the quiet pool in the Cabanas section to the main pool area.

4. Housekeeping - When staying at the Dolphin and the AKL they offer a service where you can call housekeeping and arrange for a time for your room to be cleaned. I was not sure if the CSR offered this service so I called housekeeping on the morning of our first day and inquired if they offered the service. The woman I spoke with said that they did. Our room was done by the time we got back from our morning stint at the parks on Friday and Saturday but on Sunday the housekeeper did not show up until after 2pm when we were just coming back to the room from spending time at the pool. I know that housekeeping is done until 4pm but my issue was do not tell me you can provide a particular level of service and then don't do it. One other note there was a metal piece on the floor infront of the air conditoning service hatch for the entire time we were there. It was not a big deal to us but you would think that housekeeping would have noticed something like that.

On the upside.

1. The CM that we encountered were all very nice. We check-in very late on the 27th and the woman at the front desk was very nice.

2. The Peper Market. We liked the quality of food there as they strive to be between a regular food court and a sit down place and we felt that they achieved that. Everyone was very nice and the food was good. It is more expensive then regular food court food but then you are eating a better quality of food so that was not an issue to us.

End result is a very beautiful resort and a very nice place but I just think that we have gotten used to a level of service that can no longer be meet at the moderate level. Unless the moderates start garenteeing King Bed rooms I do not think that we would return. We only paid $89 a night plus tax with an AP rate for a water view room(only view they had left at the AP rate) and for that price we thought the level of the service was in line with the price but I could not image ever considering paying rack rate to stay at a moderate any moderate.

I know this sounds very negative but we really did enjoy our trip just trying to give an honest review so others can make informed discisions.

To be honest I didn't like CSR for the same reasons, plus it being spread out so much. To be honest if I was just going for a long weekend getaway I would even stay outside the park. :D Glad you had a nice time anyways, that is all that counts.

We have never stayed at a deluxe resort in WDW just because we never felt it was worth so much extra money. We also prefer having the food court over sit downs b/c we prefer to eat at the parks or downtown disney than at restaurant at our resort. We spend so much time out of the rooms except for sleeping and showering we never felt it was worth it.
Just our experiences at CSR for those who might be discouraged. We stayed at CSR in 2002 (Ranchos) and loved it so much, we decided to go back to CSR for our honeymoon last month. We requested the Casitas this time and we also requested a king b/c we don't care for the double beds either. We were given a perfect room on the 3rd floor of Casitas with an amazing view of the water. From our window with no obstruction, we could see the lake, other sections Ranchos and Cabanas, some of the Dig site as well as El centro.
We never once heard any noise above or below us in terms of toliets and showers or housekeeping carts. I don't know if the Cabanas are different but in June 2002 at the Ranchos and May 2004 at the Casitas we never had a problem with hearing noise through the walls. We also didn't have this problem staying at CBR in 2000 either. Maybe we were just lucky all three trips.
We also like early housekeeping but we were always told you need to call the night before to arrange for it. They told us they don't like to gurantee for the entire stay b/c sometimes people change their plans and sleep in or on check out day they stay in the room later. We called the night before and the room was always done before we got back around 1pm. This was our same experience at CBR.
Just our experiences with moderates- CSR and CBR for those looking to stay there. :)

on our way for our first visit to csr in 9 days... last stay was akl... hope we do ok with the doubles... we our queen people ourselves and would take a queen but have a 5yr. old... hoping the rooms are comfy enough because we plan to enjoy the hotel in the heat of the day... praying we made a wise choice... this is only a 4 nite trip and back to akl in Oct!
Any suggestions appreciated... we already asked for an upper floor... we'll have a rental van ... hope the heat and crowds don't get the best of us...:sunny: :confused: :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter