• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back from 4 night stay at PP hotel....

katiesmom2

DIS Veteran
...and we had a WONDERFUL time!

We were treated to a room by my parents who are DVC members. We were in rooms 1012 and 1014 overlooking CA park. The view was AMAZING and we watched World of Color from the room about 3 different times. We could open the windows (they open about 2 inches on both sides) and hear the soundtrack well (they also play on the TV, but we never used that - we didn't want the light from the TV).

The room was so comfortable! We had two queen beds. Our daughter (8) enjoyed having one all to herself because our son (6) slept on the little couch that converts into a twin daybed. They both slept much better having their own space.

The room was spacious. We were happy to have the small fridge for water and for cheese/pepperoni and fruit for our pool lunch one day.

If anyone has any room questions, ask away....

My parents ate one night at the PCH Grill and were not impressed. Hubby and I went down to the small bar one evening for drinks and waited about 15 minutes to be acknowledged. Not great service...

The kids LOVED the pool. We had no more than 6 people in it with our family at any given time. Lots of lifeguards around too. The slide was lots of fun. It empties into a large bathtub-type space so kids who can't swim can still slide. They have lots of life jackets and they can also be worn on the slide if kids are nervous.

One day at the pool, we were there almost the whole day (got there at 9 am and left around 4:30). My son (charmer) made friends with the life guard at the top of the slide. At one point, he and his sister came running with a bunch of 4 balloons and an envelope each. They said that they life guard had told them they received a special delivery. In the envelope was a signed photograph for each of them - DDs was of Ariel and DS's was Mickey, Donald, Minnie, Goofy, all signed by each character. They also had a button each in their envelopes (button said "I'm Celebrating") They were so excited! What a special bit of Disney magic :)

We definitely plan to return to PP hotel. We've stayed at the GC and we like PP better - brighter, larger rooms and a MUCH better view if you are on park side. We asked for late checkout (checkout is 11am) because we wanted the kids to swim in the a.m. and we got checkout at 1pm which was perfect. You also get to park at the hotel until midnight on your day of departure, so we were able to walk down to DD and have lunch and do some shopping after checkout.

We also got our annual passes on this trip, so we plan to be at DL much more often :) :) :)

Oooohhh....and this was our first time riding Toy Story Mania - SO FUN!!! Long, long waits (45 minutes to 70 minutes) but we rode twice. Also saw the Aladdin show for the first time and really enjoyed it.

Park was overall very busy, but we expected it since it was the middle of summer. Weather was gorgeous - warm, but with a nice cool breeze.

We ate at Storyteller's Cafe, Blue Bayou, Rainforest Cafe (2x), Paradise Pier Pasta and Pizza, ESPN Zone

Any questions? Ask away! :)

I don't have any questions, but I just wanted to say I agree with you about the Paradise Pier! I love it too! It has its minor drawbacks in terms of not being as large a property as the DLH or the GCH and being across the street from the main hub of activity (I think people assume that the PPH is much farther away than it actually is), but I love the PPH rooms so much more than the GCH rooms. The GCH rooms seem cramped and dark to me, while the PPH rooms are (in the daytime) bright and cheery, as well as having much more floor space to walk around.

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love the GCH for other reasons. It's just that the actual GCH rooms are my least favorite thing about the GCH!:rotfl2:

I had the same kind of DCA view room that you had when I stayed at PPH in December, and I couldn't get enough of it! I guess I couldn't believe that my view was as good as it was, and so I had to keep staring out the window! Isn't it addictive?:rotfl2: Whenever I was in the room, I would gravitate towards the window so I could watch the people milling about in DCA and hears the screams of terror from California Screamin' or Mickey's Fun Wheel, and I would get up and look out the window in the wee hours of the morning too.

Oddly, in all my stays at PPH I have not yet eaten in the PCH Grill, but I have usually heard good things about it until reading about your parents' experience. That doesn't sound too promising. And the PCH Grill is one of those restaurants that should really make sure it has the best service and food at all times, because it is across the street and many people don't even take the time to walk over there. PCH Grill needs to do what it can to attract guests! It can't afford to slip. Half the time I have walked by there - or more than half the time - it looks virtually empty.

I did, however, order room service one night, and that food comes from the PCH Grill. While the guy who brought my food to my room was delightful and friendly, the hamburger that I ordered could not have been more dry and boring. The Kilauea Molten Apple Pie was wonderful, though!:thumbsup2

Also, I am a huge fan of Toy Story Midway Mania too! That's one of my favorite rides at DLR. So I definitely agree with you on it being so fun!

It sounds like you had a wonderful visit to DLR!:goodvibes

Every time we stay at PPH we receive a little bit of Disney magic...weather it be balloons at check in, rice crispy treats or a room upgrade. There is something special about the CM's there. :goodvibes

Thanks for the trip report on PPH. My family will be there for 5 nights in August on Club level park view and we are soooo stoked!

I couldn't agree more. I have been a DLH fan for at least 20 years and enjoyed a few stays at GCH. Our last trip we decided to give PPH a try and we were hooked. My girls LOVED it. Baloons and photos when we checked in and mickey rice crispy treats the first night (we never received any thing like this at any of our stays). We wanted to try the slide and pool but it was freezing in May. I'm hoping to find a way to stay there in November and then we'll try again. We didn't try PCH Grill either, but that's fine, we're happy with our favorite in Downtown Disney. I did try to get a drink at the "lounge" and felt the "bartender" was struggling to make whatever cocktail I ordered from the menu. Oh well....it was empty and the girls got to watch Phineas & Ferb, so it was fine. Glad you had a great time!! :)

This is good to know as we are staying there on July 26 - Aug 2. First time in Cali and we are super psyched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We arrived today and were pleasantly surprised at the new decor and the flat screen tv. I thought only the Disneyland hotel got an upgrade. I like the new decor!

I'll be headed down there in a couple weeks and have never stayed at PP but after reading your post I'm so excited! You mentioned a frig. Is there a micro?

Hmmm well now I don't know what to do? LOL We're booked at the DLH in November using our DVC points....first time :cool1: But, after your review I'm thinking maybe I should switch to PP? we've never stayed at a DL property, just WDW which we absolutely LOVE!

Kris

p.s. what did you get at ESPN if you don't mind me asking? my husband fell in love with a hamburger at ESPN at WDW Boardwalk in April...he can't wait to see if they have it in CA.

I'll be headed down there in a couple weeks and have never stayed at PP but after reading your post I'm so excited! You mentioned a frig. Is there a micro?

teacherkaren-

I wasn't sure when katiesmom2 would come back so I wanted to pop in and answer your question. I've stayed at the PPH a lot and I've never noticed a microwave in any of my rooms, standard or park view. There's always been a mini-fridge (which gets very cold, by the way). This is not to say that there aren't any rooms in the PPH with microwaves - and I have not stayed in one of the refurbed, newly decorated rooms yet so I can't say for 100% sure - but none of my rooms have had them.

None of the regular size rooms at any of the DLR hotels have microwaves. Larger suites that have wet bars and or kitchens do.

dsny1mom

No, no microwave, but if I remember correctly, there is a microwave downstairs near the bar. The bar is in an open-concept room with a TV and some chairs at one end and the bar at the other. I think I saw a microwave on a long counter down at the end by the TV - or maybe a toaster oven? Anyone else remember??

Hmmm well now I don't know what to do? LOL We're booked at the DLH in November using our DVC points....first time :cool1: But, after your review I'm thinking maybe I should switch to PP? we've never stayed at a DL property, just WDW which we absolutely LOVE!

Kris

p.s. what did you get at ESPN if you don't mind me asking? my husband fell in love with a hamburger at ESPN at WDW Boardwalk in April...he can't wait to see if they have it in CA.

We really loved it! Never stayed at Disneyland hotel to compare, but there wasn't much we DIDN'T like at PP!

To tell you the truth, I wasn't thrilled about going to ESPN (hubby and DD's choice) but my food was YUMMY! I ordered the fettucine alfredo and added chicken and shrimp to it. It was so good! It came with four triangles of garlic bread as well. Hubby had the hamburger and really liked it too. Hope your hubby can have it again!

I don't have any questions, but I just wanted to say I agree with you about the Paradise Pier! I love it too! It has its minor drawbacks in terms of not being as large a property as the DLH or the GCH and being across the street from the main hub of activity (I think people assume that the PPH is much farther away than it actually is), but I love the PPH rooms so much more than the GCH rooms. The GCH rooms seem cramped and dark to me, while the PPH rooms are (in the daytime) bright and cheery, as well as having much more floor space to walk around.

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love the GCH for other reasons. It's just that the actual GCH rooms are my least favorite thing about the GCH!:rotfl2:

I had the same kind of DCA view room that you had when I stayed at PPH in December, and I couldn't get enough of it! I guess I couldn't believe that my view was as good as it was, and so I had to keep staring out the window! Isn't it addictive?:rotfl2: Whenever I was in the room, I would gravitate towards the window so I could watch the people milling about in DCA and hears the screams of terror from California Screamin' or Mickey's Fun Wheel, and I would get up and look out the window in the wee hours of the morning too.

Oddly, in all my stays at PPH I have not yet eaten in the PCH Grill, but I have usually heard good things about it until reading about your parents' experience. That doesn't sound too promising. And the PCH Grill is one of those restaurants that should really make sure it has the best service and food at all times, because it is across the street and many people don't even take the time to walk over there. PCH Grill needs to do what it can to attract guests! It can't afford to slip. Half the time I have walked by there - or more than half the time - it looks virtually empty.

I did, however, order room service one night, and that food comes from the PCH Grill. While the guy who brought my food to my room was delightful and friendly, the hamburger that I ordered could not have been more dry and boring. The Kilauea Molten Apple Pie was wonderful, though!:thumbsup2

Also, I am a huge fan of Toy Story Midway Mania too! That's one of my favorite rides at DLR. So I definitely agree with you on it being so fun!

It sounds like you had a wonderful visit to DLR!:goodvibes

I agree! The walk to the parks was almost laughable to me. So many people on the DIS had commented about the longer walk. Hubby and I thought it was quite funny. You are literally right across the street and maybe 40 steps from the GC (as you know). We were in CA in no time and also cut through to go to DL and it was easy-breezy! Even after a long day in the parks, no problems.

I agree that the GC rooms are much more dark and cramped. We felt right at home and so comfy at PP.

Like you I was drawn to the window whenever I was in the room. Such a great view! We enjoyed opening the windows just the little crack they do open, and listening to the screams as you did. FUN!

Every time we stay at PPH we receive a little bit of Disney magic...weather it be balloons at check in, rice crispy treats or a room upgrade. There is something special about the CM's there. :goodvibes

I agree!! I was bummed we never got the rice crispy treats I had read about here (especially my parents who were the DVC members) but the balloons/photos helped in that regard!

I agree! The walk to the parks was almost laughable to me. So many people on the DIS had commented about the longer walk. Hubby and I thought it was quite funny. You are literally right across the street and maybe 40 steps from the GC (as you know). We were in CA in no time and also cut through to go to DL and it was easy-breezy! Even after a long day in the parks, no problems.

I agree that the GC rooms are much more dark and cramped. We felt right at home and so comfy at PP.

Like you I was drawn to the window whenever I was in the room. Such a great view! We enjoyed opening the windows just the little crack they do open, and listening to the screams as you did. FUN!

katiesmom2 - In a way, I'm kind of glad that some people think the PPH is far away or that it's "not as good as" the GCH or DLH, because then it's not booked up when I want to stay there!:rotfl2: The more people that stay away, the better!:rotfl2: It can be our secret!

About the walk and the big deal that's made if it...if you don't take that short cut through the GCH lobby and instead follow the signs on the PPH property directing you to the parks, it can seem like you're walking to New York.

But even with the short cut, there are still folks who think the PPH is too far of a walk - even though, as you know, it's right across the street from the GCH. It's not like it's across the street and down a mile. It's right there - you can see the PPH from the sidewalk in front of the GCH and you can see the GCH from the front of the PPH. It's so simple. Once you walk across the street to the GCH, then it's the same exact distance from the GCH to the parks as it would be if you were staying at the GCH.

So basically, the reputation that the PPH has for being far away comes down to the time it takes to get from the PPH to the GCH. And that's what? Maybe a few minutes at most, if the light takes a long time to change to green at the crosswalk?

Not to mention the fact that when you take the short cut, it seems like it is a much more interesting walk, and you are instantly in the middle of Disney magic. So it's not like you are walking on a long, boring stretch of highway with nothing interesting to see.

Isn't it funny having a view room with such a good view? You feel like you have to look out and see what's happening as soon as you get in the room!:rotfl2: That window has a magnetic pull that draws me to it at all hours of the day and night!

I think the GCH is an absolutely beautiful hotel and I could spend hours in those comfortable lobby chairs, especially during the holiday season (that is one area where GCH has an advantage over the PPH - a more welcoming lobby area in the center of the acction), BUT those rooms.....there is almost no floor space to move around. They do seem very cramped. I like the close proximity of the GCH, but I have really grown attached to the PPH now and I prefer the bigger, bright, cheery rooms!

I'm glad to see someone agrees with me!:rotfl2:

Hahaha...I agree...it will be our little secret :) :)

The walk is very easy. I think I'd rather take a quieter walk through GC and across the street than fight people all the way down DD to DLH.

Yes, you certainly are drawn to the window if you have the view. It is amazing! I miss it :(

I agree that the lobby at the GC is much nicer (much, much) and cozy but we don't spend any time in the lobby anyway so it's not a big deal.

A couple of notes I forgot - I was worried about the elevators since SO many people complained they were slow, but we had no problem at all. Never waited more than maybe 20 seconds for an elevator. There are 3 in a cluster and then the glass one. Not sure if they have done something to fix the elevators or not, but we had absolutely no issues.

Also, the shower wasn't the best as others have reported. Ours had a spinning shower head which was kind of cool, but not too much pressure. I was unsure pretty much each day if I had the shampoo out of my hair! Never had a problem with temperature though, so it's really not an issue.

Hahaha...I agree...it will be our little secret :) :)

The walk is very easy. I think I'd rather take a quieter walk through GC and across the street than fight people all the way down DD to DLH.

Yes, you certainly are drawn to the window if you have the view. It is amazing! I miss it :(

I agree that the lobby at the GC is much nicer (much, much) and cozy but we don't spend any time in the lobby anyway so it's not a big deal.

A couple of notes I forgot - I was worried about the elevators since SO many people complained they were slow, but we had no problem at all. Never waited more than maybe 20 seconds for an elevator. There are 3 in a cluster and then the glass one. Not sure if they have done something to fix the elevators or not, but we had absolutely no issues.

Also, the shower wasn't the best as others have reported. Ours had a spinning shower head which was kind of cool, but not too much pressure. I was unsure pretty much each day if I had the shampoo out of my hair! Never had a problem with temperature though, so it's really not an issue.

I've read all the complaints about the PPH elevators - and I know if that many people complain about them, there must be something to complain about. They must be an annoyance for lots of folks.

But I don't know if I've just had good luck with the elevators or if they don't bother me as much as they bother other people. I never think that much about them, really. I barely give them a second thought. I don't think I would have ever even remembered waiting for the elevators if I hadn't seen so many complaints on this board!:rotfl2:

I suppose there are times when I've gotten on the elevator immediately, and times when I've had to wait a few minutes. It's probably happened a few of times here and there where I've had to wait for an elevator, but it left my mind as soon as I left the hotel. There are a lot of slow elevators in various office buildings in my neighborhood, so maybe the PPH ones seemed normal to me!:rotfl2:

I've had showers in certain PPH rooms that had better water pressure than others. The last room I had in December did not have great water pressure at all. But it's been better in other rooms, so I'm not sure if that's one of those things that may differ from room to room, or if all of the rooms now have weak water pressure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter