Just Back from 1st Alaskan Cruise

ofcabbagesandkings

DIS Veteran
I don’t think I’m going to do a full trip report but just wanted to post a quick summary of some changes from last year’s Alaskan itineraries. The Frozen menu and Freezing the Night away are still on Endicott Arm day, however the Frozen stage show is on Juneau Day. The Golden Mickeys is still on Formal Night and Dreams is still the last sea day. There were no double stage shows, the other nights were either variety acts or movies. Our cruise had Endgame, Captain Marvel, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Dumbo, Disneynature Penguins and the Premiere of Aladdin. Alaska is amazing, hope everyone going this summer has a great time!

How was the weather? Which excursions did you do?

We were on that cruise, too. The weather was amazing for the most part. It was raining in Vancouver on sailing date (but really sunny the day before and sunny today and for the rest of this week, too).

On glacier day, it was cloudy/sunny. Cold only when the ship was moving. However, when the ship was parked in front of the glacier, I could've been in T-shirt and shorts. In Skagway, the weather was cloudy, but not too cold. In Juneau, it was raining in the morning with low visibility, but again was pretty warm. Rain stopped in the afternoon. Really warm by the time afternoon rolled around. Ketchikan was gorgeous. Around 60-70 degrees, with some wind. Picture perfect day.

We did the train up and the bus + suspension bridge down for Skagway, the dogsledding for Juneau, and the Wildilife + Bonfire for Ketchikan. I would skip the suspension bridge for Skagway - tourist trap essentially with just a class 5 rapid. No wildlife. On the bus ride down, we did see a black bear. For the doglsedding in Juneau, we were originally on the Mendenhall glacier one (JU01) but it was cancelled. They rebooked us for a later morning time, but I reasoned that that would be cancelled too. So when I went back to ask for alternatives, they said "Oh, well there is another dogsledding one to the Norris glacier instead, do you want that? It hasn't been cancelled at all today." Really irked me because I'm not sure why they wouldn't present that option to me the first time. As for the Wildlife + Bonfire - well, a more accurate description is that they are headed to the beach, and if they happen to see some wildlife they will stop. Wildlife was not the primary purpose. We some bald eagles and some seals. On the way back, we saw two humpbacks (not because they spotted it, but because all the passengers spotted it). Also, the beach was nothing special. They had some native tribes grilling but really didn't talk much about their culture. OK if you have kids, but if you're an adult looking for wildlife, skip it.

We were on that cruise, too. The weather was amazing for the most part. It was raining in Vancouver on sailing date (but really sunny the day before and sunny today and for the rest of this week, too).

On glacier day, it was cloudy/sunny. Cold only when the ship was moving. However, when the ship was parked in front of the glacier, I could've been in T-shirt and shorts. In Skagway, the weather was cloudy, but not too cold. In Juneau, it was raining in the morning with low visibility, but again was pretty warm. Rain stopped in the afternoon. Really warm by the time afternoon rolled around. Ketchikan was gorgeous. Around 60-70 degrees, with some wind. Picture perfect day.

We did the train up and the bus + suspension bridge down for Skagway, the dogsledding for Juneau, and the Wildilife + Bonfire for Ketchikan. I would skip the suspension bridge for Skagway - tourist trap essentially with just a class 5 rapid. No wildlife. On the bus ride down, we did see a black bear. For the doglsedding in Juneau, we were originally on the Mendenhall glacier one (JU01) but it was cancelled. They rebooked us for a later morning time, but I reasoned that that would be cancelled too. So when I went back to ask for alternatives, they said "Oh, well there is another dogsledding one to the Norris glacier instead, do you want that? It hasn't been cancelled at all today." Really irked me because I'm not sure why they wouldn't present that option to me the first time. As for the Wildlife + Bonfire - well, a more accurate description is that they are headed to the beach, and if they happen to see some wildlife they will stop. Wildlife was not the primary purpose. We some bald eagles and some seals. On the way back, we saw two humpbacks (not because they spotted it, but because all the passengers spotted it). Also, the beach was nothing special. They had some native tribes grilling but really didn't talk much about their culture. OK if you have kids, but if you're an adult looking for wildlife, skip it.
Do you happen to have navigators you could post?

Do you happen to have navigators you could post?

I just sent them to Scott to post at https://disneycruiselineblog.com. They aren't the highest quality scans since I took them from my phone (still traveling). If he needs higher quality scans, I can send them in when I get back home. If you need a sneak peek of what I sent in, DM me your e-mail and I'll forward it to you.

I just sent them to Scott to post at https://disneycruiselineblog.com. They aren't the highest quality scans since I took them from my phone (still traveling). If he needs higher quality scans, I can send them in when I get back home. If you need a sneak peek of what I sent in, DM me your e-mail and I'll forward it to you.
Awesome! If they aren’t up in a day or two I will take you up on that!

Thank you for your feedback, above too on excursions etc.....
looking forward to seeing the navigators

Pixar Party was at 4:15 and 10:15 I think on Juneau Day. Memory is already getting a bit fuzzy. We went to the latter one and it was not crowded at all. But honestly I think it’s pretty skippable.

I don't believe Scott was sure of which menus really went with which night, based on a question which was asked and he responded to on the link to the navigator's above. Did you happen to take photos of the menus? The ones on his site are a bit older, one is from 2017 and while I understand they don't change much it would be nice to get confirmation. Also which rotation did you have and which night was the Mardi Gras / Animator drawing nights based on your rotation? Thank you

I don't believe Scott was sure of which menus really went with which night, based on a question which was asked and he responded to on the link to the navigator's above. Did you happen to take photos of the menus? The ones on his site are a bit older, one is from 2017 and while I understand they don't change much it would be nice to get confirmation. Also which rotation did you have and which night was the Mardi Gras / Animator drawing nights based on your rotation? Thank you
Another who just got off the Wonder - our rotation was A, Ti, Ti, Tr, A, Ti, Tr. Mardi Gras was the last dinner in Tiana's and the drawing night was the last night in Animator's. The Frozen menu was night 3. Sorry, I don't have pictures of the menus.

Another who just got off the Wonder - our rotation was A, Ti, Ti, Tr, A, Ti, Tr. Mardi Gras was the last dinner in Tiana's and the drawing night was the last night in Animator's. The Frozen menu was night 3. Sorry, I don't have pictures of the menus.

Who were your Cruise Staff Team members (in the red and blue striped shirts running all of the family entertainment), Club Host, DJ, Cruise Director, and Assistant Cruise Director?

Who were your Cruise Staff Team members (in the red and blue striped shirts running all of the family entertainment), Club Host, DJ, Cruise Director, and Assistant Cruise Director?
Ashley was CD, Glen was the Assistant CD. Cruise staff - I'll do my best on this one - Connor, Mitch, Darrell, Natasha, Kaley (Kiley?? maybe??), Karis. I'm sure don't have them all.

Thank you for the information. When I had called into DCL they had said Animators drawing for this rotation was the first night, thanks for letting me know it was the last.

Pixar Party was at 4:15 and 10:15 I think on Juneau Day. Memory is already getting a bit fuzzy. We went to the latter one and it was not crowded at all. But honestly I think it’s pretty skippable.
Are you able to meet the characters after the party or is it just basically watching them dance?

Are you able to meet the characters after the party or is it just basically watching them dance?
You can dance with the characters if you are downstairs in the Atrium. No stopping to pose for photos really but I saw some folks taking photos of their families dancing with the characters. We were on floor 4 to have a clearer view and then my younger son wanted to go downstairs to say hi to Sully, he got a brief wave in but that was it. The characters were Sully and Boo, Remy and Emile, Mr and Mrs Incredible, Jessie from Toy Story and Joy.They each bop around to a pop song vaguely themed to their character (Joy got "Happy" for example), it's not really like one of the choreographed shows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter