Just back from 1 night at Cabana Bay Beach Resort - will definitely return!

johnsonet

DIS Veteran
We stayed here for one night after our stay at Disney's Polynesian.

Cabana Bay is gorgeous, sparkling clean, and seems to have friendly, helpful employees.

The Starbucks in the lobby was a real treat and we enjoyed our dinner at Bayliner Diner.

We stayed in a Courtyard Family Suite Poolside and it was super cute with excellent theming. Traveled with two teens and we all loved the place. I will post photos.

We enjoyed the pool and hot tub that evening - and watched as a lifeguard saved a little boy (probably about 6 years old) from drowning. After he was pulled to the side, no parent showed up for the entire 5 minutes or so that we watched :hyper2:

Highly recommend this resort!

Glad you enjoyed it too.

We also stayed in a tower suite and it was great. I would say it's far from a value resort feel wise. If they had express we would stay more.

Bluer101, I agree it is not at ALL a value resort feel. I guess it's more like a Moderate price wise, for the suites. I have stayed once at HRH (10 years ago) and once at PBH (after HRH but it's been many years) I don't know much at all about the Universal parks but I can imagine it would be hard to give up the Express pass if you're spending a lot of time in the parks.

I knew when I first read about CB that I HAD to check it out! So glad I did. Super cool place :)

Agreed on the moderate resort feel for value price. We are planning on staying there for our next short Disney trip (gasp) as we got a great deal on it and since we bring our car, we don't mind the short drive to Disney parks for just a couple days.

We loved it too. Four nights last week in a Standard room in Americana. Comfy beds.
The pool area (we walked around both, but spent our time on the lazy river side) was great.

Booked Cabana Bay for 2 nights. First time to Universal. Not sure I understand benefits of the resort. I understand Express pass is not included but what about early park entry. Included? Is it just Harry Potter or the whole park? And which park?
TIA
Cyndi

Last edited:
Booked Cabana Bay for 2 nights. First time to Universal. Not sure I understand benefits of the resort. I understand Express pass is not included but what about early park entry. Included? Is it just Harry Potter or the whole park? And which park?
TIA
Cyndi

Yes Early entry is included. When I was there it was just the Harry Potter section. Which section depends on what time of the year you are there. If you are visiting during a busy season both Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade are open. If not and you are there in say January only IOA/Hogsmeade is opened early. It really depends on when you visit and they inform you on signs wish park is open early.
When Diagon Alley was opened early I also noted that the Despicable me ride was open as well but nothing else was.

Thanks. Will be there the weekend before Thanksgiving, somewhat busy I'm guessing. My son loves minions, but too young for Harry Potter. Hoping Despicable Me will be open too.

How do you know which will be open early? Where is it posted?

Thanks. Will be there the weekend before Thanksgiving, somewhat busy I'm guessing. My son loves minions, but too young for Harry Potter. Hoping Despicable Me will be open too.

I've seen them post locations on signs in the lobby and at the bus stop. We have had front desk tm's put the information on our resort map as well as inform us what time early entry is. You can ask them as well if they don't give you this information and they can get that for you.

Pop in here a bit before your visit. Someone generally knows what park is open early.

We were there last week. If you take the first bus you will not arrive at the garage until about 7:25, so for most people it takes just about until opening time to walk from the bus stop, go through bag check and walk through CityWalk and across to a park gate. You might get there 5 minutes or so before the gate opens, but prob. not more than 10. The turnstiles open for everyone one hour before official opening time. You cannot veer off the main center path until you reach a second "gate" area set up with parade barriers; you have to show your room key to get beyond them. At US, this area is at the end of the Minions building, by the open field in front of the stage. There are parade barriers set up across the path there, with staff to check your room key before they will let you cross the barrier line. (Many guests don't know there is a distinction, and will block the area in front of the barriers when they cannot get through. The staff continually yell out that if you do not have early privilege you need to stand to the side, but not a lot of people seem to really understand until they try to get through and are turned away without an appropriate room key.)

Once through the barrier you are definitely encouraged in the direction of the Harry Potter attractions, but you apparently don't always have to go that far. We found the Mummy and MIB open already after we got off of the Gringott's ride at US. (Can't tell you about IOA; we didn't go there early.)

As to Cabana Bay, my only real complaint was the toiletries. In accordance with the theming, the soap is Zest, and the shampoo is VO5, which certainly was highly advertised in the 1960's, but it now goes for $.80/bottle at my supermarket. Here's the thing: Both products have a high detergent content, so they are fairly harsh; if your hair is dyed, VO5 may strip the color from it, it certainly did mine.

We didn't make it to the pool on account of not having the FOTL benefit; we were out to the parks at 7:30 and didn't return until close to 11 pm, when the pool closed.

Thanks for posting your thoughts. SO glad to hear you had a nice time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter