Just back for POR

maciemouse

DIS Veteran
We just got back last night from POR Riverside. We had a great stay. Everything was so clean and the CM's were wonderful. I was a little reluctant to stay here because of what I had read on these boards. We gave POFQ a try last year and we were not to pleased with that resort. We had read rave reviews but we just did not care for it. Anyway, we got a Visa discount on POR and opted to stay here. We loved it. It was so peaceful. The food court was great. We would not hesitate to stay here again. We did miss having the monorail at Poly. It took over 45 minutes to get on a bus and actually get to the MK. We did not have a long wait to get on the bus but considering the transportation time and dealing with strollers it was a haul. Loved the resort!!! The main area is so relaxing. The baby pool is big and the big pool had wonderful theming. Loved the fishing hole.

Thanks for the review! We are planning on staying at POR for the first time next year.

Oh, one more tid bit - You have to get an apple tart with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. It is in the food court at POR at the bakery. It is to die for. It is probably the best apple pie I have ever put in my mouth. We got one both nights we were there. I can't wait to get another one!!! Make sure you get a good room location at check in if you can. We requested a trundle bed so we knew we would be in AB. When we checked in we were on the ground floor in building 16. It was a good location with short walks to the main areas. Building 14 and 15 would be the best I think. We did have the quiet pool off our building. We chose to use the main pool for the baby pool. I like the fact that you can park right by your building. We never had any issues with noise or buses.

:thumbsup2

Glad you liked your stay. We love POR and have been there the last 3 years in a row. We love the grounds and the whole atmosphere. I guess the bus thing depends on the time of year you go. When we went in March, getting to MK only took us about 20 minutes. I guess that is one of the perks of not being on the monorail system.

Just returned also from a 5 night stay at POR - first time staying there.
My sister and I stayed in AB room (1721)...a corner room which was a plus...two big windows..we hardly heard nor saw any other guests around our part of the resort and it was sold out. Very near to a quiet pool. Great resort, no complaints.

Agreed ! The hot apple tarts were fabu!! We ate them at the Mill while it poured outside on Saturday afternoon. :thumbsup2 .

Glad to see a good review! It wasn't our thing but I'm happy to see others really enjoying it :)

I also love POR. It's my favorite mod resort.It's so nice to walk around and I don't think it's a long walk where ever you are. My son loved the fishing hole and the pool.:thumbsup2

We were at the POR the first week in April and it was GREAT. We were in building 35 which was in the AB section- far from food court but the walk was nice along the paths. I was also there in Sept and stayed in AB building 27-closer to food court and a bit confusing to get to parking lot but still a good location. So, 35 was better for parking, 27 closer to food court. This visit we were on the first floor (second fl. last time) and both times we only heard a few of the toilets flushing, and altough we saw neighbors, never heard them in the other rooms. I had made some advance requests for a closer room but we arrived early and decided to take what was ready rather than wait for specific rooms

We rented a car so I can't speak to the transportation issues. It was a busy week at the parks and the hotel appeared to be at capacity but still, our area was peaceful. We used the food court often and it was great for us. We preferred the POFQ pool so we drove there a lot.

There was a pin trading board that the staff brought out nightly in the lobby from 5-5:30 and kids could trade pins with the board plus any CM's that were there-that was neat.

Mousekeeping was fine- I dropped the coffee carafe on the tile floor late one night (great!) and they came within 5 minutes to help clean up the glass and provide a new one. Making coffee was tricky as the pot is right there on the fridge but no place to plug it in so I had it teetering on a narrow shelf near the sink and it slipped and broke. That is one of my only complaints with all of my darn electronics to charge, etc- not enough outlets in the room to charge everything.

Our room was cleaned between 1-3 daily but the day of check out they came by frequently to see if we were gone beginning around 9 am- most likely to turn it over for the next guests. We finally left around 10 am.

Also on the day of check out we went to Sea World and it just wasn't our day there and we had multiple problems due to downpours, thunder, cancelled shows, and crabby kids. We left there much earlier than planned and had to come up with a new plan as our flight took off at 9:30 that night and we were thankfully able to still get back into the POR area as our room card still worked at the gate to get back into the resort area. It continued to pour so we hung around in the food court for a few hours, playing games that we had brought, etc. It was nice to still be able to access this area although we had checked out. I had read somewhere this was possible until midnight of your check out day and it was a savior for us.

Overall a great stay and we booked a bounceback in September!

Thanks for the great trip report. I am wavering between POFQ & POR. Stayed at POFQ in 2002 and loved it, but wanting to try something new. Did you see YeeHa Bob? Do you know what nights he performs? I'm happy to read so many good reviews lately! :thumbsup2

It seems like everyone stays in the AB section.
Anyone stay in one of the mansions? If so, which one would you recommend? Ready to book for October and planning to stay at POR in one of the mansions.
Thanks!

I've only stayed at the AB rooms...they have the trundle beds, the Mansions do not from what I understand. The layout is exactly the same but the decor is different...AB is more casual, Mansions are a bit more formal, with both trying to follow themes of the South.

I believe the mansions are the smaller rooms. If you have more than 4 in your room(like us) you have to stay in AB. We loved it also. It came highly recommended and it met every expectation for us. I liked the walk to the pool and to eat , the exercise was nice and it is a relaxing walk.

We stayed in AB in 2004 & loved it. My two boys argured over who would stay on the Trundle bed. Loved the poll too. 37 days till we're in CSR.
Not counting though.
Jim

Thanks for the POR reports. Will be there with DW in exactly 30 days. :goodvibes

We stayed in AB in 2004 & loved it. My two boys argured over who would stay on the Trundle bed. Loved the poll too. 37 days till we're in CSR.
Not counting though.
Jim

Ok Jim. Who do you think you're kidding? ;)

Did anyone notice if there are microwaves available in the common areas? (where the ice machines are) When I made reservations, I was told there is none in the rooms but they are available in those areas, is this true?

Thank you for the review.:thumbsup2 I am glad that you had a good time. We love this resort because it has such beautiful landscaping and the pools are great! Did you get to take the bike for a ride around the grounds?

Answering recent questions:

I did not sit and listen to Bob at the piano, but walked by a few times and those there (lots!) were having a blast singing along !

I did not see a microwave in the commons are near our rooms where the ice machines and soda machines are...not sure if that is what you had in mind; there was one in the food court area, so perhaps that is what they were referring to??

Lastly, no bike rides for us- we were too pooped from the parks to do anything like that. Maybe next time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter