• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just Back - Extremely Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trishtack

Mouseketeer
Hi - We just got back on Friday from a week's stay at the Poly. I cannot express in words how disappointed I was in the resort room conditions and the staff. We arrived on Sat. the 26th and at check-in was informed we were in Rapi Nui (which was to be expected as DH is paralyzed and in a wheelchair). However, we had requested a room with a bath tub and a bedside potty. We got neither. We were given room 1121 which has a roll in shower. The toilet did not flush hardly at all. It took three tries just for the water to replace. If there was paper involved another 1-2 tries was needed. There was a leak and the carpet outside the bathroom door was wet continiously and there was a bubbled up piece of carpet with mold all over it. We asked for a new room for two days and was told they were completely sold out. Yet our friends checked in the next day and got a lovely room in Tokelau. We never received the bedside potty even with numerous calls. On Day three they said they could get us a different room but we would have to have everything packed in the AM and then a new room would not be ready until after 4 pm. DH couldn't be out of the room that long so we had to pass.

The staff was overall not very knowledgable. I asked where Kona's was and couldn't get an answer. I asked where our longhouse was (difficult to navigate the first couple of days) and several could not tell me. Finally someone told us they only know by room number and it got somewhat easier after that.

Several times the drivers would have the carts going unbelievably fast on the paths throughout the Poly. I could not believe they would drive so fast with little ones around.

We did not get to use the Pool or the Beach which I believe would have done a lot towards making the Poly a better experience.

I went fully expecting to reserve a bounce back offer but the resort experience coupled with the 90+ temps and huge crowds (although it was supposed to be one of the slowest times of the year) resulted in us deciding that we would not book another trip for several years.

I do have to say that the staff at the actual parks were phenomenal (well except the Fairy Godmother in training that helped us select a dress at BBB)!

I'm so sorry you had a disappointing trip. I would have expected the cast member at the Poly to be more accommodating. I really think you should write a letter of complaint, I doubt that it would do anything to recoup any of your expense, but at least it will be on record.

Being someone who used to work at a hotel at the DLR, I just have to point out that just because your friends checked in the next day... that doesn't mean that the hotel wasn't sold out the day that you arrived (the day before). In sold-out situations, speaking of the DLR hotels (but I'm sure it's similar here at WDW), rooms are assigned days in advance to ensure that every room is filled with no gaps between Guests.

Here's a good example I liked to use for folks that aren't savvy with hotel operations:

Rooms need to be fully booked... think of it as like a game of Tetris, except when you complete a line it doesn't go away like it does in the real game. You want every room (which would be each block) to be filled all the way across. No gaps... we all know how frustrating it is when you have a single gap all the way down at the bottom when you could have filled that one in as well. Of course, the game is easier to play during non-sold out situations.

Now the Cast Members probably should have offered you a room move (which they did, but not until the third day? Odd.), but in a sold out situation those rooms are also subject to regular room rules where they won't be ready until regular check-in time.

I'm sorry that you had a less then magical time at the Poly. :( In situations like those, it's always best to speak with management before you leave the Resort to get a better response then what you would get via e-mail or traditional mail.

... and for others, if there's anything that is not magical during your stay that is controllable (crowd levels and weather is not controllable, for instance)... then please report it. You don't know how many Guests notice things like leaks or stuff that needs repair but they don't report it. Things can't be fixed if it isn't reported.

I reported the issues (except the remote control not working) to the front desk staff. My error was in not reporting the issues to management but our TA is going to do so.

It is too late to capture the magic of the experience and recouping some of the expense really doesn't matter to me. We used the room and DD had a wonderful trip.

I just wanted to express my frustration at not finding the magic at the Poly that so many people do. I had built it up so much in my mind that part of the unhappiness was probably due to that.

However, my husband not being able to take a bath for a week when he is a paraplegic truly wasn't acceptable. My mistake for not pushing the staff more though. I spoke with management the first day and got no where. Second day was via phone to just the front desk. I should have went back and made a fuss.

Calling the front desk from your room gets you routed to a call center that answers with the name of your resort. NO calls placed from the room actually go to the front desk.

When we have had even minor issues, one of us goes to the lobby to talk to someone in person. We have found it's useless or causes long delays if we phone, since the mesage has to be relayed. If a CM can't help at the Guest Services or Front Desk, then it's time to politely ask for the manager on duty right then and there. They really do their best to accomodate.

I'm so sorry you had so many problems. I understand not wanting to go back for years. I want to tell you to try again at another resort so maybe you all can get to experience the magic you paid for and deserve, but I understand why you don't want to go back.

I agree with a PP. Write a letter of complaint. Go as high up in management as you have to. Although it would have been more effective to push them when you were there, Disney needs to be aware IN WRITING of such issues.

The way you were treated is unaceptable. You have every right to complain!

I'm really upset with your story and the way you were treated! Especially since you and your family had special needs that weren't fulfilled.
I would be sending a letter to someone, and seeking some sort of apology if nothing else.
Disney seems to pride it self on good service and the accommodation of people with physical limitations and special needs.
I think unless upper management of these resorts aren't notified when a family has trouble with their overall experience , it doesn't get past the front desk.

We all spend our hard earned money, and months of planning , we should expect nothing but top notch service from Disney and it's staff.
There just have been too many of these types of stories on these boards lately. Think of all the others that we don't even hear about.

I hope this trip doesn't put you off Disney forever .

We were at the poly from 9/26-10/4. It was our second stay there. While the Poly continues to be lovely, we also noted an odd sort of "disconnect" between the CM's at the resort and the CM's elsewhere. Most of the Poly CM"s we encountered were mildly irritable and looked bored, as if they wished they weren't at work. On 6 different occasions (out of 9) they frankly gave us the wrong information to questions asked (mostly about their own resort). When I went to concierge to have my Halloween tickets printed out, the CM taking my information coldly stated that my tickets had already been issued. Period. I had to ask what my options were (she did not automatically offer advice) and she restated that my tickets had been issued, with some hostility in her voice suggesting that she thought I was trying to get away with some sort of fraud. When I persisted in suggesting that there must be something I could do to get my tickets, she said "well, go over to guest relations at the MK, maybe they can figure out what happened to your tickets". Fortunately, my niece (who is a CM) had a more hopeful outlook, saying guest relations would "make sure we were taken care of", which they did. Despite daily tipping, there were no towel animal/stuffed animal treats. Oh well. See my post about the Spirit of Aloha, if you'd like to have a BTDT about that experience.

On the other hand, Ben (a manager at Cap'n Cooks) was delightful and a real help to us in using up our extra TS credits. We also had a great deal of help from Wes at the concierge desk at Club level on our last day there. The folks running the pool games were great.

Overall, very nice trip. I'm just puzzled about the attitudes of many CM's at the Poly, in contrast to the magical demeanor of CM's everywhere else.

Yes you should definitely write or e-mail them. You would be surprised at how great they can be in calling you back when you have an issue (it may take a few days). I received a response by telephone to a very small complaint by e-mail (i tried to be as nice as i could as being mean wouldnt get me anywhere) and it paid off. I got a tiny unexpected surprise so i was glad i let them know even though. I wasnt even expecting them to respond but they did by phone not e-mail.

I'm a Hospitality and Resort Management major currently taking a class that partially pertains to this.

Hotels have perishable goods - their rooms. Many hotels book back to back guests depending on the time of year. And with on-line check-in being 7 days before you arrive the rooms get names fairly quickly, so it's very possible that they were completely booked the first night. Though, they should have tried to take care of the issues in the room so that it would be acceptable to give to another guest.

Also, Managers of hotels, Disney and non, want their guests to have a great time. Each interaction with the guest is what is called a "moment of truth". You had several moments of truth that turned out poorly, and every guest in any situation is more likely to remember the poor moments of truth than the good ones. The only way management can fix a problem is to know there was one. They don't want people to complain, but they DO want people to let them know when something isn't done well. So, I would contact the resort management and let them know. While it's probably too late to compensate you for your bad time, they can take measures to make sure this doesn't happen again to you, or to other guests at the hotel. I'm sorry you didn't have a magical time, but I do hope you go back to Disney and give it another go. I'm sure this doesn't happen very often. :goodvibes

(We actually have almost a whole chapter dedicated to Disney and the hotels/parks. :) I love this class!)

I'm so sorry you had such a bad stay! You should have pushed the issue with management. It is unacceptable to not get what you need especially with a special needs issue. I would deffinately send a letter and let them know exactly what happened. Hope the rest of your stay was more magical!

NOt to make this political, but, If you want to know why toilets don't flush anymore....just look at your government.

For awhile, toilet smuggling was a good business. (from what I've heard) ((probably still is))

NOt to make this political, but, If you want to know why toilets don't flush anymore....just look at your government.

For awhile, toilet smuggling was a good business. (from what I've heard) ((probably still is))

What?

For those planning future trips, as this will not help the OP but hopefully will help others.

If you call the Front Desk from your room, you do not get the Front Desk, you get Disney Call Center and they are horrible at getting problems solved.

Sadly now if you want any type of problem resolution you will have to actually go to the Front Desk, ask for the on duty manager and speak to them.

Anything else is a waste of time.

Sorry to the OP that this did not get taken care of and hopefully she will write a letter of complaint.

I'm surprised you got a room with a roll in shower-- I know of people who have found it really hard to get one.-- you have to call their special services # to try to get one and there are only a few at each resort.

Hi - We just got back on Friday from a week's stay at the Poly. I cannot express in words how disappointed I was in the resort room conditions and the staff. We arrived on Sat. the 26th and at check-in was informed we were in Rapi Nui (which was to be expected as DH is paralyzed and in a wheelchair). However, we had requested a room with a bath tub and a bedside potty. We got neither. We were given room 1121 which has a roll in shower. The toilet did not flush hardly at all. It took three tries just for the water to replace. If there was paper involved another 1-2 tries was needed. There was a leak and the carpet outside the bathroom door was wet continiously and there was a bubbled up piece of carpet with mold all over it. We asked for a new room for two days and was told they were completely sold out. Yet our friends checked in the next day and got a lovely room in Tokelau. We never received the bedside potty even with numerous calls. On Day three they said they could get us a different room but we would have to have everything packed in the AM and then a new room would not be ready until after 4 pm. DH couldn't be out of the room that long so we had to pass.

The staff was overall not very knowledgable. I asked where Kona's was and couldn't get an answer. I asked where our longhouse was (difficult to navigate the first couple of days) and several could not tell me. Finally someone told us they only know by room number and it got somewhat easier after that.

Several times the drivers would have the carts going unbelievably fast on the paths throughout the Poly. I could not believe they would drive so fast with little ones around.

We did not get to use the Pool or the Beach which I believe would have done a lot towards making the Poly a better experience.

I went fully expecting to reserve a bounce back offer but the resort experience coupled with the 90+ temps and huge crowds (although it was supposed to be one of the slowest times of the year) resulted in us deciding that we would not book another trip for several years.

I do have to say that the staff at the actual parks were phenomenal (well except the Fairy Godmother in training that helped us select a dress at BBB)!

I just returned also and stayed at CBR, normally my favorite resort ( I have stayed at Poly too) and was very disappointed in many things as well to the point I have decided to not take my holiday trip at boardwalk now and may not even go next year. You are right about the crowds, even the MNSSHP was too busy this year. I am so sad at everything that happened that I don't even feel like talking about it. Many,many small things and a really mean CM did me in for a while. the PP said to call and complain but I am not a complainer as I am not looking for compensation, you just lose my future business.

The resorts are required to supply medical aids like portable toilets? That's a first for me, I thought you had to arrange to get one from a medical supplier.

Mold is a huge issue at WDW - it's on reclaimed swampland - and we have always been able to get moved when we get a moldy room. My oldest daughter is very allergic to mold, and she gets coughing as soon as we enter a room that has it. We always request the highest floor at the resort for that reason, as the lower floors seem to be the moldiest. At least they could have come in and sprayed with a mold killer.

ETA -why couldn't you use the pool? It has zero entry, doesn't it, and the wheelchair/step transfer as well, doesn't it?

Yep. I think of Al Gore every time I flush my toilet...two and three times to get a 1" X 1" piece of toilet paper to go down! :lmao:

i agree about the poly staff. Although we stayed in 2008, we were not impressed at all. We stayed concierge and I think we may have a different idea of what that means. Staff were not in a hurry to help with even minor requests. Needless to say, we won't be going back to the poly in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter