• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just Back - Disneyland Hotel on points

TerriBelle

DIS Veteran
We took a quick trip to Disneyland using our points. We were at the Disneyland Hotel 3/15 - 3/17. It was very nice and we had a great time!

Few quick comments -
1) Room was a good size. There were 5 of us and we were fine even though we normally have a 2BR at DW.
2) It was great to have the monorail drop you off right in Tomorrowland! This made the early morning even better because we could do all the rides in Tomorrowland right away - no walking through the park. It seems to spread the crowds out a little better. We walked right on Space Mountain, Matterhorn, Autotopia, Alice, Teacups, Big Thunder, Splash Mountain, Pooh, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Canoes, Jungle Cruise, Treehouse.
3) We liked California Adventure. It was fun having the two parks so close together. We are use to having to factor in a long time to get between parks.
4) Food - We were surprised by how easy it was to get into restaurants. We have been at DW during off season and not been able to get PS but we didn't have any this trip and we had no trouble getting in - even one character breakfast!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Great info:thumbsup2 Planning on DL in 2010. Nice to see some feed back from someone who has done WDW;)

Thanks for the report. I hope to get to DL someday.

We took a quick trip to Disneyland using our points. We were at the Disneyland Hotel 3/15 - 3/17. It was very nice and we had a great time!

Few quick comments -
1) Room was a good size. There were 5 of us and we were fine even though we normally have a 2BR at DW.
2) It was great to have the monorail drop you off right in Tomorrowland! This made the early morning even better because we could do all the rides in Tomorrowland right away - no walking through the park. It seems to spread the crowds out a little better. We walked right on Space Mountain, Matterhorn, Autotopia, Alice, Teacups, Big Thunder, Splash Mountain, Pooh, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Canoes, Jungle Cruise, Treehouse.
3) We liked California Adventure. It was fun having the two parks so close together. We are use to having to factor in a long time to get between parks.
4) Food - We were surprised by how easy it was to get into restaurants. We have been at DW during off season and not been able to get PS but we didn't have any this trip and we had no trouble getting in - even one character breakfast!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Did you like/dislike the differences in some of the similar park rides eg: pirates, space mountain? CA is undergoing huge changes so what you saw will be much different coming up!
We love DL for the park atmosphere and WDW for the resort atmosphere. Do you have a preference? What was your favourite meal? Did you eat at Blue Bayou?

What type of a room did you stay in? We are currently booked in a premium view room for the Disneyland hotel for September!

How was the weather & crowds? I am currently planning a DL trip next year and I am still figuring out when to go.

We're staying on points at the Grand Californian and visiting DL for the first time in May. Where did you like eating?

Did you eat at Blue Bayou?

I seen the Title and just HAD to read.....and sure enough, some mentioned the BLUE BAYOU!!! I took DS10 to DL (mom and son only trip) from his birthday 2 yrs ago....and to this day he still talks about the Blue Bayou. The Monte Crisco.......Um, um, good!!!

We're staying on points at the Grand Californian and visiting DL for the first time in May. Where did you like eating?

We are also staying at the Grand Californian in May..not on points. We really like Whitewater Snacks at the GC..right by DCA entrance. Napa Rose is the premiere dining location there, but to be frank, we didn't care for it. Storytellers is OK. DTD on the way to DL, try La Brea bakery. In DL, yes. Blue Bayou! Food is nice, but location is the selling point. in DCA we love the eating place that's right by the sourdough bakery and the mexican place. Everyone can pick what they want and just eat in the big area by both of them..plus there are margaritas there.
I can't wait! You will love it, I'm sure.

We are also staying at the Grand Californian in May..not on points. We really like Whitewater Snacks at the GC..right by DCA entrance. Napa Rose is the premiere dining location there, but to be frank, we didn't care for it. Storytellers is OK. DTD on the way to DL, try La Brea bakery. In DL, yes. Blue Bayou! Food is nice, but location is the selling point. in DCA we love the eating place that's right by the sourdough bakery and the mexican place. Everyone can pick what they want and just eat in the big area by both of them..plus there are margaritas there.
I can't wait! You will love it, I'm sure.

Thank you. I was interested in trying Blue Bayou and La Brea Bakery; and also Ralph Brennan"s? (if only for the bananas foster!)

More info -

1) Travelers - me, DH, DD-14, DS-10, DS-10

2) Room - We had a standard view room in the Dream Tower - 6th floor overlooking Downtown Disney. We were a little confused at first with the three tower thing - got in the elevator in the lobby where you check in. We did not realize that the buildings were not attached.

3) Food - We ate at the following -
Sat. night- Storyteller's in GC. There was only a 10 minute wait. Food was quick and good. They had the kid's make your own pizza. Our kids are all over 9 but they let us order off the kid's menu.

Sunday Morning - I was still on EST so I was up early. I picked up coffee, muffins & bagels at the coffee shop at the hotel. This worked great because we were ready by 7 for early morning at Disneyland. NOTE- I bought coffee not knowing that there was FREE coffee in the hotel at 6:30 every morning! I wish DW had this!

Sunday Lunch - We wanted to try the canoes since this is a ride that is not at DW. It opened at 11 and we got right on. After the ride we went to the fast food restaurant right by it. The kids enjoyed watching all the cats! - What is the deal? The cats are better than the attack birds at DW :)

Sunday Dinner - We went to the pool for a swim in the afternoon so we had dinner at the Rainforest on our way back to Disneyland.

Monday Morning - We ate breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen. The boys love a good buffet! I have one boy that loves breakfast and the other loves lunch so they were both happy. Not sure that pizza, chicken nuggets, and ice cream are really the best thing at 8:00 but at least he ate. We saw Alice, Chip, Dale, Goofy, Mad Hatter - lots of fun.

Monday Lunch - We went to CA so we ate a quick lunch near Soarin.

4) Rides - We thought that many of the rides were better at DL. For example, the boys liked Buzz better because you can lift the guns out and move them around - Big hit! We all liked Pirates and car ride better. Disney World splash was preferred. Everone agreed that the Disney World castle is "way better"!

5) Crowds - We were really surprised that the crowds were not worse. It was spring break for us so we thought it would be crazy. Sunday was not bad at all at DL. The only ride that was nuts was the Nemo ride. We did not bother. Sunday was a cool and overcast day so maybe the locals stayed home. We had a great view of the parade. We sat on the benches around the castle. I have never had a seat for a Disney parade!

NOTE- I bought coffee not knowing that there was FREE coffee in the hotel at 6:30 every morning! I wish DW had this!

You know, they used to have this at OKW in that area where the restrooms are between the general store and Olivia's. But I haven't seen it the last few times we were there. Another one of those lil perks gone by the wayside.:confused3

We liked Cafe Orleans better than Blue Bayou although I'm glad we tried BB for the setting. But Cafe Orleans also has Monte Cristos. My DH and I split that and a salmon salad more than once. Ralph Brennans is very good. We also enjoyed dinner at the Vineyard in CA but it's only open some nights of the week. Two trips in a row we planned on Napa Rose and needed to cancel. Maybe one day.

Terribelle, how would you compare the rooms in DH with rooms at WDW? Although some in our family have stayed there, I haven't.

We went ti DL on points in Nov and also stayed at the DLH in the Dream tower. Our room over looked the Neverland pool. We really enjoyed the atmosphere of the room. The border was Tinkerbell spreading pixie dust around the room and it glowed in the dark. It was a fairly large room with two double or queen beds and we had plenty of room for the crib. I have not stayed at a DVC resort 1st trip Oct 08:cool1: ), but it was mush larger and nicer than CBR. There was a small refrigerator. There was not a coffee maker in the room, but they brought us one when we asked for it free of charge.

DS (8) really liked DL, DH likes WDW better. He feels that WDW is cleaner and you are more immersed in the magic. I personally loved them both.:lovestruc

WHat is the point scale for Disney Land hotel when using DVC points?

Where can I find them?

Thanks

Thanks for the report....

What is this with the cats....are there a lot of strays in the parks:confused3
Kerri

alldiz - I do not know why there were so many cats. I was hoping someone on the DIS would know.

drakethib - I used the point table on the Disney DVC site. We did not have to pay the hotel transfer fee that you would have to pay for a DW hotel since they currently do not have DVC in CA. I know people say that it is not the best use of points but we needed to spend the points and with my DD in HS now it is harder to find vacation dates.

Did you have to pay the "resort fee"? I was trying to figure out if you have to pay the $11.50 daily fee or if that is included when you use points.

Glad you had a great trip. I can't wait until my GCH stay in May.

spaddy - When we checked out our bill was $0 so I do not think we were charged for anything! We have never had a 0 bill at DW :)! The room charging was not as easy as at DW. We usually use our room key and charge all our meals to the room. At DL they give you a room key and a piece of paper that proves you are in a Disney hotel. You need to show the piece of paper to get on the monorail or charge the room.

Also - we got a discount with our DVC card at Goffy's Kitchen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter