• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back - a WDW vet take on DL/DCA

pbb322

Mouseketeer
We just got back from 5 days at DL/DCA. We go to WDW at least once per year, but had only been to DL once, 7 years ago, for one day. A few observations that I think will be helpful to other WDW vets:

- The park hopper is essential at DL/DCA. While we often skip that option at WDW, the 2 minute walk from DL to DCA with no additional security check meant we were back and forth several times per day. I did not really believe that would happen despite what I read online prior to being there, but it was so easy we did it a lot.

- There are a lot less photopass photographers at DL/DCA. Although there are roaming characters with short lines, most of these do not have a photopass photographer. I regretted not having my good camera, I have come to rely so much on PP+ at WDW I had stopped carrying more than a cell phone, but hated having to give someone else my phone constantly at DL/DCA when there was no photographer.

- The lines are generally MUCH better at DL/DCA than what we would see this time of year at WDW, and the weather is fantastic compared to August in Orlando.

- We loved that the rides are so close together that you could go across the parks without as much walking, but everything is so dense it can feel much more crowded than WDW feels when just walking around, despite having less people. We had a hard time finding anywhere we felt like we could just sit and relax for a while, and I don't think DL does nearly as good of a job of keeping walkways clear during parades, it was really hard to get through to leave the park within an hour of the parade time.

- Fireworks are cancelled a LOT. Of the five nights were there, they only were able to do them once due to winds. It was odd not ending our night with fireworks. WOC, however, was a perfect evening ending.

- Staying on property does not give you as many perks at DL/DCA, but early entry to DCA was REALLY awesome. We rode all the major rides twice during out two early entry mornings with ZERO lines.

- For people with kids, the GC Hotel did NOT have bed rails, and the beds are pretty high. I found this very odd for a Disney resort, we always get them at WDW without issue. We ended up having Amazon same day delivery bring one the second day.

- I was hesitant when WDW went to FP+, but wow did I miss it. Tons of DL rides still had FPs available late in the day, but the idea of walking over to get one, then walking all the way back again in a hour to ride, became exhausting. I had forgotten what a beating that was with kids in tow. As adults only who don't mind walking, the paper FP with a FP runner might give them a lot more rides per day, but with kids, it is a pain. And if you are running late or your kid decides to take an unscheduled nap, you just lost that effort, no switching to something else on the app. I was constantly wishing I could just update on my app.

- We had a great time trying to find the differences in the rides that are the same at WDW and DL/DCA. It was fun for the kids. We loved several of the rides that are unique to DL/DCA. Cars Land is amazing. The Frozen show was fantastic. We loved some of the older rides in Fantasyland, even though we thought the kids would not be interested because they have no knowledge of those older movies.

In all, we had a magical time. WDW is still going to be our annual preference, but we will enjoy coming back to DL again when we visit family in the LA area.

Thanks so much for your viewpoints!
We haven't been to WDW in quite a while now and were wondering about the crowds. It sounds like your saying it isn't nearly as crowded as DLR but the lines are longer. That's good info!
Glad the Hopping worked out so well for you. We generally hop back and forth several times a day too.
As far as the FP system, we go when it's slow so don't need it much but on our last trip we used it a lot. The result was just as you said, lots of walking to get FP and then having to cross the park to get back during our window. So it worked good but resulted in probably a couple of extra miles of walking a day.
Sounds like you had a great time overall!

Scott

Thanks so much for your viewpoints!
We haven't been to WDW in quite a while now and were wondering about the crowds. It sounds like your saying it isn't nearly as crowded as DLR but the lines are longer. That's good info!
Glad the Hopping worked out so well for you. We generally hop back and forth several times a day too.
As far as the FP system, we go when it's slow so don't need it much but on our last trip we used it a lot. The result was just as you said, lots of walking to get FP and then having to cross the park to get back during our window. So it worked good but resulted in probably a couple of extra miles of walking a day.
Sounds like you had a great time overall!

Scott

On the crowds, if you are talking sheer number of people, MK probably has more people in it than DL, but the walkways, and non-ride areas are just so much more spacious because there is more land, that it just does not feel as dense as DL did to us. And in WDW parks (esp. Epcot) there are lots of places to just wander, sit, browse, etc., we felt like there is no comparable areas to that at DL/DCA and we missed that in the late afternoons when we wanted to slow things down. But the lines at DL were a definite bonus, and as long as we were there near rope drop, we got FP for everything that did have a line by mid-morning, but as I said, we were really tired of running around to get FPs by about noon each day. I'll also say, being able to walk back to the hotel and not have to wait for a bus or monorail was pretty great at the end of a long day.

Thanks for the insights, we have only ever visited WDW and I have just booked out first DL trip for next September! I am currently reading and researching history and identifying differences between the 2, it's hard to picture it in your head! Paper fastpass is going to be so much fun :)

Thanks for posting! We are WDW vets, who love DLR too, and it is fun to see what other WDW vets think! The park hopper does not surprise me at all- by WDW standards DLR is basically one big park- we hop back and forth all day too and love it! We love that we can pull FPs at the same time in both parks. Works great if you pull an RSR for hours later, that you can head over to DL and immediately pull a FP for something else.

This July was the first time that we really did not see that many photopass photographers at DLR and we have been every year for the last several years. There are several spots that we have always regularly seen photopass photographers at DLR that in 5 days we never once saw a photograper in the area this July. I think it is because of them going to the one day photopass and nothing else unless you are an AP holder. Hopefully now that they are starting to go back the other way, demand will pick up and more photographers will start showing up. The change to allow a week package again just started at the end of July.

The one thing about your post that surprises me is that you missed FP+! We despise FP+! One thing we really love about DLR is that we don't have to deal with FP+ and we have our flexibility back. Honestly, if it weren't for EPCOT, I think dealing with FP+ and the longer lines it has created at the times we go, would be enough to keep us at DLR instead of WDW for quite some time. At DL, I just take everyone's tickets and go get the FP and then catch back up with DH and DD. I would much rather make the walk than give up the flexibility- and everything is close together at DLR. Plus, the DLR app tells you what time the FP is currently for- so I would always check that to be sure the time was good before walking over to the ride.

The fireworks thing surprised me too the first time we experienced the cancellations. We did not feel any wind at all, yet they were cancelling it because it was too windy. If that was enough wind to cancel the fireworks at home, we would never have fireworks on the 4th of July! I think it is because that area around DLR is so populated and crowded.

Glad you had a fun trip!

Agree: not enough PhotoPass people in the parks. At WDW, they're everywhere! When we buy the PP+ at DL, we sort feel it's a bummer because it's often hard to find the photographers. But it's also a lot less $$ than at WDW.

Agree: The lines are shorter but the parks are more crowded. I was just thinking of this yesterday as I listened to Park Music...how at WDW, you could feel the ambiance of each area because you have breathing room. At DL, it's really just walking from one area to another while walking through NYC at 7:45am. Yeah, I definitely miss that "feel" of WDW.

Agree: fireworks get cancelled waaaayyy too much at DL. I get that it's in the middle of a residential area. But when you're used to WDW where fireworks happen when a tropical depression comes through, it's tough to keep my cool when fireworks get cut. Especially when you get all amped up for it....and then the GIANT let down. This is something I truly hate. All the other problems are inconveniences...but I hate it when fireworks don't happen.

Disagree: my only bone of contention is FP+. I stopped going to WDW when I had to start planning rides. That to me is just a killer of the magic. Let me walk in and then head to where I want to go. And even though I'm in my 40s now, I don't mind speed walking over to get FPs for the family while they wait somewhere. I actually find it exciting to go grab a FP right before we go stand in line, maximizing our time in the parks without any of the other having to wear themselves out. I'm in shape (sorta), so I can take it.

Great review. I always like to hear WDWers thoughts and see if they line up much with mine. It helps me understand why I think differently than many of the DL-only crowd.

I definitely think the reason I like FP+ rather than paper FP is because we have small children. Most of the things they want to ride are available same day on FP+ if we decide to change, and having a FP "runner" does not always work for me because I am often in the park alone with two small kids that have to go everywhere I go since my husband is often back at the hotel working, playing golf or something else (he is not a huge fan of the parks). Maybe if the kids were older and I did not have to drag them along (or even better, could send a teenager), it would be great. It also really did not work when DD3 was back at the hotel taking a nap with Dad and I want to grab a FP for a ride that would happen after she was back from the nap since she and her ticket were outside the park so she could reenter with the ticket later - no ticket in hand, no FP, but with the FP+ app we never have this problem at WDW. Once they changed to let you schedule subsequent FP+s on your app after using your first 3 it was perfect, we could grab ones while sitting at the hotel during nap time and be able to go into the park and go straight to use a FP after naps.

Spot on with your observations!

I am also surprised how often fireworks get cancelled. In general, my visits to DLR are shorter than WDW, so if fireworks are cancelled several days in a row, you miss out. And the Disneyland Forever show might be one of the best shows ever, either park.

I disagree with your FP comments, but I am usually at DLR solo, no kids, so I have the advantage of mixing FP and single rider lines. I generally only get FPs for Soarin' and the rides in Tomorrowland - HSM, ST and Buzz.

- There are a lot less photopass photographers at DL/DCA. Although there are roaming characters with short lines, most of these do not have a photopass photographer. I regretted not having my good camera, I have come to rely so much on PP+ at WDW I had stopped carrying more than a cell phone, but hated having to give someone else my phone constantly at DL/DCA when there was no photographer.

Shoot, and I was just managed to convince myself to leave my good camera at home and stick to the iPhone on my upcoming trip. I was looking forward to having one less thing to lug around and keep track of.

Considering the apparent lack of photographers, would you say that the Photopass service isn't worthwhile?

How far in advance do they cancel the fireworks? I'll be leaving for my first visit to Disneyland on Thursday morning. I'll be there for 5 days. So I'm hoping I'll be able to catch it at least once

Disagree: my only bone of contention is FP+. I stopped going to WDW when I had to start planning rides. That to me is just a killer of the magic. Let me walk in and then head to where I want to go. And even though I'm in my 40s now, I don't mind speed walking over to get FPs for the family while they wait somewhere. I actually find it exciting to go grab a FP right before we go stand in line, maximizing our time in the parks without any of the other having to wear themselves out. I'm in shape (sorta), so I can take it.

I agree completely. We were WDW vets with 10 years worth of annual trips. We stopped going the year FP+ was introduced. It kills magic for us as well.

The fireworks thing surprised me too the first time we experienced the cancellations. We did not feel any wind at all, yet they were cancelling it because it was too windy.

Do you happen to know what the wind speed was when you were there and they were cancelled? My trip is next week, I realllllyyyyy want to see Disneyland Forever!

Wind and fireworks cancellations are tricky at DLR. It can feel completely calm at street level with the buildings and the tress blocking things but be too windy up higher. They send a balloon up shortly before the fireworks to test the wind at the higher elevations. With the freeway and residential right there, it doesn't take much for the fire marshall to make them cancel. Sometimes there's really no notice either... :(

Wind and fireworks cancellations are tricky at DLR. It can feel completely calm at street level with the buildings and the tress blocking things but be too windy up higher. They send a balloon up shortly before the fireworks to test the wind at the higher elevations. With the freeway and residential right there, it doesn't take much for the fire marshall to make them cancel. Sometimes there's really no notice either... :(

My sister had been there the last three Novembers on 3 day trips. And she's yet to see teh fireworks at DL. It seems to get cancelled the days she's in DL but not when she's over catching WOC at DCA. There has to be something Disney can do to remedy this. They sure leave a lot of angry people each night when it's cancelled. And when your last emotion before leaving is being mad at Disney, not the best marketing plan. They can't fix the wind, but I bet they can create some tech to improve chances of launch.

Thanks for the report!

Going in 2 weeks can't wait! And it was nice to read this review.

I have a feeling we are going to miss FP+ too my husband has asked about it already and even asked if they would have people scheduling them... (We went during a FP+ test and you could schedule as you enter with a CM).... I have a feeling he is not going to like no FP+....I think I will miss it as well! But time will tell I guess

How far in advance do they cancel the fireworks? I'll be leaving for my first visit to Disneyland on Thursday morning. I'll be there for 5 days. So I'm hoping I'll be able to catch it at least once
On our last trip they canceled fireworks in the middle of the show, which was a major letdown. I feel even worse for those who wait to get a good a good spot in the hub.

If you really want to see the fireworks, plan to watch them early on in your trip. That way if they do get cancelled, you have more opportunities to watch. They usually announce the possibility of cancellation just a couple minutes before the show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter