• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back - a few observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to text during attractions such as PotC and Splash Mountain... is that considered rude? My backlight is pretty dim and I turn sounds off.

Two things...I wish they'd ban ALL electric scooters. They are too large for much of the park, and , and too heavy in crowds. People with disabilities can do what they did before the increase in availability of electric scooters...use wheelchairs. Nothing wrong with them, and yes, we've used them in the parks (pushed elderly MIL all over the parks one year. It is workable.)

Second, as a former smoker, I understand the smokers' feeling like second-class citizens. And I agree it's really rude for people to make nasty remarks about smokers who are smoking in designated areas. One thing I have noticed though...sometimes the smoking area is in a place that non-smokers will tend to gravitate towards, and the non-smokers might not even realize they are in a smoking area. Like in MK, there's a very nice shady seating area right across from Aloha Isle (Dole Whips:love: ) and I see a lot of families, DH & I included, get a dole whip or soda and go sit over there to take a break. But it is a designated smoking area, so naturally there are almost always some smokers there. I did hear a woman loudly complaining about all the "awful smoke" in the area...I gently pointed out that I agreed I didn't like the smell anymore, but that's what happens when we sit in a designated smoking area. She was quite surprised - hadn't even noticed the sign until I pointed at it. Then it was "oh, gee, didn't know that. Well too bad they don't have some seats by the ice-cream stand (Aloha Isle) that are for non-smokers." Which I thought was funny, since 99% of the park IS for non-smokers.:laughing: Just saying, though, people may not realize they are walking into a smoking area.

The only thing I dislike about scooters is when people drive them to fast and almost knock me or my child over - rude. I do not care if you are skinny, chubby or crazy as long as you drive them at a decent speed and not just slam through others with out warning.

I also dislike that when I am waiting for the bus and have been there for 40 mins when or 2, 3 or so scooters pull up right before the bus comes and get priority over everyone else. Then I can not get on the bus because there is not enough room. The handicap are suppose to get equal access not priority. They can in most cases wait to. In the case of down syndrom, autism etc I will always let them go ahead of me. That is completely different.

I tend to text during attractions such as PotC and Splash Mountain... is that considered rude? My backlight is pretty dim and I turn sounds off.

It is rude...your backlight may seem dim to you, but we've been on several rides, at movies, even a Broadway show where we were in rows behind texters...very, very annoying. In a dark ride/show even a "dim" light can ruin it for people behind you - to those behind you, the backlight on your cell is like having someone wave a mini flashlight around. Please don't use cell during dark rides/shows.

I agree that adults using the scooters, and letting their children sit in their laps and steer is not a good idea. I witnessed this the other day in a store, and the kid ran into a display of merchandise, and knocked it over. Thank God he didn't hit a person!

I also agree with the no cell phone on rides and shows. That's just rude. And if you're trying to locate someone, perhaps it would be best to not get on the ride in the first place.

The handicap are suppose to get equal access not priority.

I couldn't agree more. It's frustrating after a long day in the park to wait in line 40 minutes for a bus only to have a couple of scooters pull up just as the bus arrives and get to the front of the line. Not a great way to end a long day at MK.

I also dislike that when I am waiting for the bus and have been there for 40 mins when or 2, 3 or so scooters pull up right before the bus comes and get priority over everyone else. Then I can not get on the bus because there is not enough room. The handicap are suppose to get equal access not priority. They can in most cases wait to. In the case of down syndrom, autism etc I will always let them go ahead of me. That is completely different.

Gotta agree with you on the physically disabled having priority. Now before I get flamed...I am a special ed teacher so I am not totally removed from this personally. If a person is able to wait I believe they should! (Students with disabilities need to leant to wait as any other child.) Just because you are in a w/c or scooter does not mean you cannot wait for your place in the line or for you party to go through the line. As I understand Disney does not allow w/c or such to be advanced to the begining of the line for rides. It truly erks me when this is allowed to happen (anywhere). If there is an able walker(s) with the w/c bound person s/he should have to go through the line (with the exception of a w/c bound adult traveling with a minor). ADA provides for equal access not priority access.

Can I use this thread to gripe about those people who insist on ignoring the 'no flash photography' rules? :headache: :mad: :sad2:

That's the main thing I noticed this past week. It's not the end of the world, but on some rides/shows it was totally annoying and spoiled the atmosphere.

:) Michele

I couldn't agree more. It's frustrating after a long day in the park to wait in line 40 minutes for a bus only to have a couple of scooters pull up just as the bus arrives and get to the front of the line. Not a great way to end a long day at MK.

Well, I understand they have to load the scooters first to get them in the safe position on the bus, so that's why they are allowed on first...it's a safety issue. My objection is that all the family members being allowed on at the same time with no wait. Minor children accompanying the adult parent, o.k. Otherwise, one person allowed to accompany the scooter/wheelchair person and everyone else waits in the regular line. And if they all want to ride together, then the whole group goes through the line and the scooter person waits until their group has made it to the front of the line. Our last stay, there was a group at our resort that repeatedly sent "grampa" on the scooter out to wait at the bus stop, then they'd all wander over in clumps of 2-4 during the next 10-15 minutes until bus showed up. By the time the bus arrived, there was 16-20 in the one family grouping with the guy on the scooter. They'd take half the bus at once, with most of them never waiting at all in the heat for the bus. About the third time it happened, one of the family members came running up at the last minute (as bus was actually pulling up) and loudly joked about how great it was for Gramps to get them their own limousine service...thought some of the guys who had been waiting in line were going to deck him. Gramps, by the way, looked very uncomfortable with the whole situation...he obviously knew it wasn't right.

Of course, if you have a true disability (diagnosed, not imagined), you are not the point of discussion; but, if you are the "lazy" stereotype, the implication is on you. While pregnancy can be uncomfortable at times, it's not a disability, ladies. IMO, a wheelchair is a bit much, stop and sit, if necessary.

But you see, until you produce a medical license, you're opinion isn't worth very much on the matter. I really fail to see why it matters to you who is using a scooter or a wheelchair. Could you just explain this to me please? How is me sitting my fat pregnant butt in a wheelchair while DH pushes me around hurting you? Why would it bother you at all? And for the record, some people have been blessed with pregnancies that are uncomfortable pretty much all of the time. You know not of what you speak.

Can I use this thread to gripe about those people who insist on ignoring the 'no flash photography' rules? :headache: :mad: :sad2:

That's the main thing I noticed this past week. It's not the end of the world, but on some rides/shows it was totally annoying and spoiled the atmosphere.

:) Michele
The last time I saw Voyage of the Little Mermaid, there was a group that kept on taking flash photos. The CM would wave a little flashlight or something at them, and they'd stop for a minute, but then they'd start again. This went on throughout the whole show. I wish they had been kicked out, since it really ruined the show for me.

There are only 2 wheelchair/ECV slots on a bus, compared to how many able bodied slots? The reason they allow a wheelchair or ECV to board first is for safety reasons not to give them special treatment.

My DBF is in a motorized wheelchair due to Cerebral Palsy. We have no problems waiting in line. In fact he would love to be able to walk to stand in the "regular line" like everyone else. He doesn't like anything making him feel less normal than anyone else. As for taking up room on the bus, there are many times I stand in the space directly behind his chair.

I feel sorry for people that get upset about this, Disney is our happy place, you are on vacation, aren't there other things to think about besides if a person using a wheelchair/ECV has a disability or not? In the scheme of your entire trip does it affect you that badly? We hear the comments under people's breath while we are waiting for the bus and it upsets me that people are that petty. Some people should be ashamed of themselves.

But you see, until you produce a medical license, you're opinion isn't worth very much on the matter. I really fail to see why it matters to you who is using a scooter or a wheelchair. Could you just explain this to me please? How is me sitting my fat pregnant butt in a wheelchair while DH pushes me around hurting you? Why would it bother you at all? And for the record, some people have been blessed with pregnancies that are uncomfortable pretty much all of the time. You know not of what you speak.

Actually, I am licensed OB/Gyn. So, yes, I do know of what I speak. I recommend exercise to my low-risk patients all the time. Unfortunately, I deal with patients who refuse - despite having a clean bill of health. While I can't make them, I do tout the importance of doing so in their pregnancies.

Do you feel better now? You can do whatever you like as I can give my experienced opinion. But, for what it's worth, it's never safe to assume the careers of individuals on the Internet. There's no need for indignation. Everyone is entitled to their varied opinions.

You're right about that. I had tachycardia during my pregnancies. That's a big word for a very rapid pulse. To the average person, I just looked pregnant. But if I was having a tachy flare up, my pulse would go from 80 to 180 in a matter of seconds, and I'd pass out. A disability? Nope. Realistic to walk around Disney like that? No way. I shouldn't have to explain that to someone, though. If I felt like I needed a wheelchair, I would get one. People shouldn't worry so much about what others are doing. I only worry about myself and my family. Works for me. :thumbsup2

I see nothing wrong with anything that the OP stated. I agree with him on his points.

I do have a problem with judging people to be "just too lazy to walk" because they're obese and using a scooter.
ITA, my DW is legally disabled, however she weighs only 128 lbs soakin wet but WONT get a scooter while at WDW cause she says people will ***** about her using it.

I just got back too, and I agree 1000% with the OP!!! Everything they said was right on. And I agree with the flash too, and I have one other point to make... make your children behave! When I was little (I am 31), I knew how to act in public, and if I acted up, one look from my mama, and I straightened up! We were on the safari, and had to sit for about 10 minutes because there were rhinos in the road in front of the car in front of us. We were in front of 3 cheetas. There were these kids behind us that kept roaring VERY loud... the cheetas got up and got to pacing and stared at us. It was creepy... their parents ignored them (they were on cell phones...no joke!) and I said to my husband that we were all going to get attacked by cheetas because of those kids... I am not exaggerating... I wish I could post the pictures of the way they were looking at us!!! And then we saw kids just beating their parents... lord have mercy. Thank God we have dogs!!

OP, I find it interesting that you stated you had a wonderful trip to WDW but instead of talking about what made it wonderful, you chose to focus on trivial annoyances that have already been discussed ad nauseum on this board. I, for one, would be much more interested to hear about the positive elements of your WDW experience. All that a thread like this does is conjure up old heated arguments.
:worship: ;) :laughing:

Yes! I find it absolutely annoying, to the point where I have stooped to the level of doing things to people who text in dark theatres that I would never normally do and am ashamed of. I am very impressed that you have asked if this is rude or not MarkFL, you are probably the type of person to stop now that you know others find it so rude. However, if you are ever with a friend that is texting on the same Disney dark ride as my family, please be sure to keep your head low as your friend will soon feel something bounce off his head. Just a lil' head's up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter