• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just a thought about reopening...

I’m a RN, required to have mask at work and keep one in the car for that purpose. Even though I have ready access to masks, even N95s, I do not wear them elsewhere as they aren’t mandated elsewhere.

Coronaviruses have been around - I was going to say for years - but the more accurate answer is centuries. They typically cause what we normally describe as a cold. I’m not saying this particular version can be dismissed as just a cold, mind you.

I do want to say a few things about it, though.

1. There’s a reason why we don’t have vaccines for the common cold and it’s because the viruses that cause them don’t stay in the same form long enough for vaccines to be developed and be/remain effective. They mutate.

2. Flattening the curve was never about making the virus go away or reducing the ultimate number of cases. Ultimately about 80% of the US population will become infected as that’s the definition of herd immunity. The point of social distancing is to slow down the cases to a point where they don’t overwhelm our resources. Said more to the point, flattening the curve means you’re still going to get it, but when (not likely if) you do, there’ll be a hospital bed and ventilator available if you need it.

3. So long as the local hospital system isn’t overwhelmed, increasing the burn rate through the population to a point where we get to herd immunity faster is the only way to make this thing finally go away.

4. There are no vaccines coming, They have never worked for these kinds of viruses. It is what it is. I’ll wear a mask when I’m forced to do so, but it’s futile otherwise.
Thank you. This was concise and accurate. I doubt a vaccine as well but with genetic engineering maybe we get one that can also mutate. Nothing would surprise me anymore.
The entire mask or not seems to me to be misunderstood by most who post about it. Let me put perspective on it. Life in downtown Chicago (or any major city) is completely different than life in rural areas of suburbs. One of the most vivid examples is sneezing. I spent most of my life in suburbs. Rarely did I ever see anyone sneeze and not cover their nose/mouth area. either a tissue, or an actual old handkerchief, part of their clothing or an open hand. This is not to much to expect. Shouldn't need to be taught to adults.

The first blue line trip I made in Chicago I learned to my disgust that in fact adults did need to be taught. At least half the time down town people who sneeze literally turn their bodies one way and just sneeze all over who ever or what ever is there.

Mandatory mask in Chicago makes perfect sense. I don't recall ever seeing some adult just sneeze all over the place while at disney

If WDW requires masks to enter, I’ll wear one.

If they require masks while in the parks and enforce it, I’ll wear one.

Or in the lines only. Check.

If it’s optional at all, I won’t.

If it’s not enforced, it’ll be hanging around my neck with the ability to immediately put back in place with a quick, “sorry, forgot to put it back”.

In all cases, except at work, I consider wearing a mask a concession and not a risk reducer. I say that as an RN aged 50+ with HBP and pre-type II taking lisinopril. I’m all for mitigating risks and just don’t see masks as much more than optics.

I’m not arguing that wearing masks and social distancing can’t help slow down spread. We’ve seen that they can do just that. But we’ve moved our goalposts from a reasonable goal of such measures to an unreasonable one. We can slow this to a crawl where it takes 5 years for it to move through the population, but that won’t make it go away. It’ll still be there waiting for a chance to bloom.

Once a virus goes exponential, it doesn’t matter how low below 1 you get the R0, you’ll still have reservoirs ready to explode with any let up. We should be looking for a middle ground: at what level can we have this burn through the population without overwhelming our healthcare resources? That was the original goal of “flatten the curve” and a fantastic goal to achieve.

I’m just not on board with the new goalposts because social distancing and wearing masks can’t get you to these new goals.

I cannot tell you how many times I’ve seen some variant of, “If you’d all just stay home for 2 weeks, this’d be over.” That’s not how any of this actually works.

Last edited:
If WDW requires masks to enter, I’ll wear one.

If they require masks while in the parks and enforce it, I’ll wear one.

Or in the lines only. Check.

If it’s optional at all, I won’t.

If it’s not enforced, it’ll be hanging around my neck with the ability to immediately put back in place with a quick, “sorry, forgot to put it back”.

In all cases, except at work, I consider wearing a mask a concession and not a risk reducer. I say that as an RN aged 50+ with HBP and pre-type II taking lisinopril. I’m all for mitigating risks and just don’t see masks as much more than optics.

I’m not arguing that wearing masks and social distancing can’t help slow down spread. We’ve seen that they can do just that. But we’ve moved our goalposts from a reasonable goal of such measures to an unreasonable one. We can slow this to a crawl where it takes 5 years for it to move through the population, but that won’t make it go away. It’ll still be there waiting for a chance to bloom.

Once a virus goes exponential, it doesn’t matter how low below 1 you get the R0, you’ll still have reservoirs ready to explode with any let up. We should be looking for a middle ground: at what level can we have this burn through the population without overwhelming our healthcare resources? That was the original goal of “flatten the curve” and a fantastic goal to achieve.

I’m just not on board with the new goalposts because social distancing and wearing masks can’t get you to these new goals.

I cannot tell you how many times I’ve seen some variant of, “If you’d all just stay home for 2 weeks, this’d be over.” That’s not how any of this actually works.

I completely agree, I am in Maryland and I really think we have suppressed the curve and regardless of how long we stay locked down, it is likely going to spike when we finally start to open up. They have gone really overboard and not really using science to guide decisions, but making decisions and using the stats they want to support that decision.

We have the same rule in NY, but many of our grocery stores have made it clear they will not prevent people from entering who don’t have one on. They said they don’t feel it is their job to have employees police it,

And, there are indeed people who have decided not to.

We went to our normal grocery store today and it is posted at the entrance (can only enter and exit through one door) that you have to have a mask and wear it or you will NOT be allowed in the store. This is by order of the governor. I haven't been to other stores but I'm pretty sure this is being enforced at all stores in NJ based on what friends and family have told me.

We went to our normal grocery store today and it is posted at the entrance (can only enter and exit through one door) that you have to have a mask and wear it or you will NOT be allowed in the store. This is by order of the governor. I haven't been to other stores but I'm pretty sure this is being enforced at all stores in NJ based on what friends and family have told me.

Every store and area is definitely doing things differently. Ours is also an order of the governor, and have the one entrance since they are limiting total number of shoppers,

Like I said, a lot of people are doing it, but not everyone is and our stores in my area are simply not enforcing it other than the signs,

Every store and area is definitely doing things differently. Ours is also an order of the governor, and have the one entrance since they are limiting total number of shoppers,

Like I said, a lot of people are doing it, but not everyone is and our stores in my area are simply not enforcing it other than the signs,
Honestly, this part should be easy. There have to be a lot of unemployed bouncers with all of the bars closed...

Bruce

Masks, such as surgical or procedural masks, do not protect you from the disease. It protects others from you spreading the disease from you to them. You need to wear a respirator with a tight seal to protect you, especially if you have other medical conditions that make it easier for you to get the disease (and in that case, you'd be better off staying home). So you only need to wear a mask if you are active with the disease. There are so many people who just don't understand the reasoning behind the masks. People are going to be passing out if they have to wear an N95 respirator around the theme parks in hot/humid Florida weather.
This is not exactly true. The reasoning behind wearing a mask is two fold. One, it keeps others from being infected if you are infected. Two, it keeps you (the mask wearer), from touching your face (mouth and nose). This is especially important when you are out in public and it’s almost impossible to keep your hands clean.

I think it will be masks reccomended but not required... and yes disney will make their own line of masks to sell.
All for the low price of $39 for plain mickey’s $89 for Limited Edition and $450 for autographed mask 😷

This is not exactly true. The reasoning behind wearing a mask is two fold. One, it keeps others from being infected if you are infected. Two, it keeps you (the mask wearer), from touching your face (mouth and nose). This is especially important when you are out in public and it’s almost impossible to keep your hands clean.

This is one of the reasons that many countries are advising against masks. Those who aren't used to wearing them tend to touch their faces far more with them on than they otherwise would, massively increasing the risk of infection. They are not comfortable so tend to need constant adjusting/moving. They can also provide a false sense of security, so those who believe the mask is helping may put less distance between themselves and others, and not wash their hands as often.

As others have said, the only time it reduces risk to yourself tends to be in clinical settings with medical grade masks that can be disposed of or sterilised regularly.

...As others have said, the only time it reduces risk to yourself tends to be in clinical settings with medical grade masks that can be disposed of or sterilised regularly.
A respirator will reduce risk to you. A procedure or surgical mask will not. To wear a respirator on a regular basis, you really need to be under medical surveillance to make sure it doesn't cause you any health problems. People with claustrophobia have a terrible time with respirators.

No. Have you had any training in Respiratory Protection?

Yes. I’ve worked as a registered nurse for 25+ years. Most of them in an emergency department.
It seems there are a lot of people out there that wish you people like you, who know what they are talking about, would stop trying to convince the rest of us with facts :)

ETA: I do not like marshmallows, but I may have had too many adult beverages when I posted this. # @_auroraborealis_

Last edited:
It seems there are a lot of people out there that wish you people like you, who know what they are talking about, would stop trying to convince the rest of us with facts :)

ETA: I do not like marshmallows, but I may have had too many adult beverages when I posted this. # @_auroraborealis_

Actually, quite the opposite. Just because someone has a title/degree/profession, doesn't negate the fact that they also have their own opinion or interpretation. Just on this thread, we have had two nurses with extensive experience with two different outlooks on this. The news does the same thing, they get someone with a title to give a counter opinion to offset another new organization. As a person, you need to do your own independent research and draw your own conclusions based on that research (both sides, not just the one that supports your current opinion) and that is what is lacking in our society today. People just repost what supports there position and shouts down everyone else.

Back to the original post, there I would love to see anywhere that masks are to keep you from touching your face! As others pointed out, everything I have read and researched is quite the opposite, not only do they cause you to touch your face more often, bacteria/virus lives longer on material than human skin. Therefore, you are more likely to infect yourself using masks and there is a push from experts that is may cause more harm than good.

Yes. I’ve worked as a registered nurse for 25+ years. Most of them in an emergency department.
So you've taken the NIOSH course on Respiratory Protection? You've done fit testing and set up medical surveillance?

Reactions: cm8
STOP! We're NOT having this argument on the DIS DVC Boards. Any further posts over the value of masks(pro or con) and who is qualified to post an opinion will result in an infraction, and this thread will end up locked.

Dr. Luke Padwick, an emergency physician and founder of Austin Emergency Center in Texas, likens the benefit of wearing a mask to coughing or sneezing into your elbow.
“Wearing a mask is good for two reasons: It’s going to cut down 95 percent of the breathing that sends the virus up to 6 feet away in a room, and also will reduce fecal/oral transmission by preventing the virus from getting into your nose or mouth” if you touch a contaminated surface and then your face,” Padwick told Healthline. “I think this will slow down the virus a lot.”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter