• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just a small rant...

I don't have an issue with spelling, most of us cannot type as fast as our brains think, nor does grammar really get to me.
What drives me nuts is what so many of you have noted, the improper use of a word. For me the word is: irregardless - Arghhh!!!

I even heard the little blond, Ms. Harvard grad use the term on The Apprentice...............I was cringing. :confused3

shellybaxter said:
You know what bugs me --- people who make fun of other people’s spelling and grammar mistakes.

I think most of the comments in here are tongue-in-cheek, and in the meantime I must compliment you on your management of your dyslexia. Your post was perfectly composed, spelled, and punctuated. In the meantime, what really bugs me are people who are bugged by people who make fun of other people's spelling. ;)

Ahh, 'there' is the rub...'they're wrong in 'their' assumptions!!! The misuse of those three drive me nutty.
Of course, I am one of those who continually misspell definitely...but not anymore thank-you very much!!! If we can't laugh at ourselves, who can we laugh at? And I am most sincerely laughing at myself. I am one of those who is continuely (is it 'ely or 'aly?) backspacing to correct my spelling faux pas. I certainly do not intend to poke fun of anyone.

Can I get a vote on the word orientate? That is not a word and never has been. You should orient yourself to somewhere new. I completely agree on the irregardless, although I've been told it has recently been added to the dictionary because of its common misuse. Why do they add words to a dictionary if they're incorrect? Isn't that the point of a dictionary? And speaking of it's/its, I don't think many people understand the difference between the two. It's means it is and its is the possessive. I could go on, but that would just turn into a rant. I agree about the typing too fast. You can usually tell if someone's fingers just got ahead of their brain. It's more the general misuse of words (and fictional words) that bugs me. :rolleyes:

You all will appreciate this one. . .

One of my last classes before graduation is this course called "The English Language" which is required for everyone getting an English degree at my University. It's basically the "linguists" view of the English language so a LOT of what we're discussing here has been talked about in class (interesting how words have changed meanings entirely because of widespread misuse)

Anyway, part of the requirement of this class is to also participate on the class site at WebCT and post discussions regarding a given topic. One girl in class posted under a discussion of morphemes about how "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" has no real words in it except for "super" . . . however she had a VERY funky spelling of the word. I responded, didn't mention the spelling at all but spelled it the *right* way when I wrote it out, about how I recently came across an Italian version of the song and thought it was funny that a made up word was translated into Italian, making it "Supercalifragilisticespiralodozo"

Well another kid in class decided to appoint himself the spelling police and informed me that my spelling was wrong and that Google's spellcheck says it is "Supercalafajalistickespeealadojus" (not even phonetically right!)

I laughed - wondering if he realized he just picked the wrong battle to start with someone who lives and breathes Disney. So I nicely pointed him to the Mary Poppins page on the Disney site that spelled the song MY way and answered, "Interesting that Google spells it that way, this is how Disney spells it. I think I'm going to have to go with Disney on this one."

I really have to add to this post.
I'm a writer and consider myself as someone who can spell rather well.
But I'm like many on here; my fingers get before my brain.
And when I was a staff writer for my local newspaper, I was so thankful for the word Editer (oops... I believe that is Editor).

But, just so you smarty pants know out there. My father is a horrible speller. In fact, he never did all that well in school. He grew up on a farm and worked his butt off from early morning before school to after school until dark.

So, maybe he can't spell all the well, but he's one of the smartest men you will ever come across. I'll take common sense over being a perfect speller any day!!!!! He's used his common sense and work ethic to become a wealthy man.
And the best part is, no one would ever know it!!!!!

BTW...I'm going to write a book about him and his brothers and sisters growing up on the farm one of these days.

Maybe you smarty pants out there can edit it for me. :thumbsup2

Does anyone out there know what the word remonstrate mean?? My DS is working on his AIG vocabulary and his father and I are not sure. :confused3 Another one for you smarties!

My son actually prefers dumdums (you know the suckers??? ) :love:

remonstrate: (from online dictionary) To say or plead in protest, objection, or reproof.

I got it before you smart ones out there could post! hahahaha

Oh, and I LOVE eating at O'hanas and Beeches and Cream and La Celliar and Polinesian , and Bomas, and Sinderellas Castle...... Just had to irritate a few of you!

OMG!!
Can I get a vote on the word orientate.
My husband and some of the guys he works with use this too!! Just like the 'medium strip'. For those of you who aren't adept at decoding these words, that is the "median" strip. I love my DH dearly, but the incorrect words make me cringe. I rarely correct him, but try to use the word again quickly, hoping the correct pronunciation will sink in someday! Hmmm... 17 years of medium strip...yeah, no. :teeth: I don't think I could possibly come up with a list of the continually mispronounced words I hear. Another pet peeve (I'm a gardener) is "rhododendrum"...that from people at garden centers, etc., and also...my MIL. Sorry, it's rhododendron.

I agree with the posts about getting frustrated by the incorrect spelling and grammar. However, please realize that getting annoyed by it is as much a fault of mine as poor spelling/poor grammar/spell check (in)ability is to others. Also, I am sure that all of us have seen/heard these things in MANY places, it is not just the DIS. Just because I'm anal and spend 20 minutes correcting and rephrasing my posts doesn't mean I don't enjoy other's posts with misspellings and all!

This thread isn't picking on any person by any means. I have a coronary when my DD11 IM's her friends. Lord, those children will NEVER learn to spell! :sad2:
(This must be a record, only 13 minutes!)

This thread isn't picking on any person by any means. I have a coronary when my DD11 IM's her friends. Lord, those children will NEVER learn to spell! :sad2:
(This must be a record, only 13 minutes!)[/QUOTE]

OH, that is so funny. I was going to make that exact comment before because my DD who is also 11 (12 next month) was talking with one of her friends through AIM. Their talk amazes me!!! I think her last sentence was something like, "h/o a sec, ill im u wen shes done (talking about me being on the computer)." One of my favorites is: cu l8er.

Instant messaging is a language in itself!

sorry, my quote did not work. I'm trying to work on my spelling, and now I've got to figure out how to do the quote box!!!

rejobako said:
Touche, and well done. :worship: >>>>deep breath<<<<<

If James Bond's boss were prompted to stand in line to receive a pigtail extension and a billiard stick from de Lancie in Quebec . . .

Q would queue for a queue and a cue from Q on cue in Que.

>>>>>brain exploding<<<<<< :faint:

Not a spelling error, but Q is not James Bond's boss. He is the Quartermaster with all the cool gadgets. M is Bond's boss.

I LOVE this thread! I was asked in a job interview once to describe my ideal job, and I said if I could do anything I wanted I would go around the world cleaning up signs that had misspelled words and incorrect grammar.

Interesting, no one has tackled the lie/lay/lain yet - that's the one my mother fought with me the most about, and I still struggle with it! I do know that everyone else "lays out" in the sun, but in my family we "lie out" in the sun!

Many of my favorite peeves have already been listed:

Boma, not Bomas or Boma's

'Ohana, not O'hana or O'Hanas or Ohanas or O'Hana's or 'Ohanas or 'Ohana's

Jiko, not Jikos or Jiko's

Mara, not Mara's or Maras

There over their with they're stuff.

I'm going too WDW in to days, two!

That was him and I. NO! It's "That was him and me."
(Note - any time you want to see if you're using the correct form, take the other person out of the sentence. "That was I?" No. "That was me."

And one of my favorites is, "I would of..." Argh! It's supposed to be "would have" or "would've".

I also have friends and family who mis-pronounce words. My friend used to pronounce pneumatic "pew-na-matic" and aperture "arp-eture". Since he's a photographer, I pointed out to him that saying "arp-eture" instead of "aperture" doesn't inspire confidence in his photographic knowledge! "Pew-na-matic", on the other hand, just sounded silly...

Great thread! I appreciate the laughs! Keep it coming. I've noticed in this spell check world that many times, the spelling is correct, but the grammar and usage is wrong! It is amazing how much I can catch that is wrong, even in large newpapers!

Okay, my #1 pet peeve.............

Good is an adjective, well is an adverb.

There, I feel so much better :thumbsup2 .

Reesecup, I'm with you. The smartest people I know aren't always the best at spelling....and, the kindest people I know aren't always the best spellers.

Many say that this thread isn't picking on anyone, but I'll bet it has hurt a few feelings. :blush:

shellybaxter said:
If the program for this board had a spell check many of your “peeves” would be eliminated, but it doesn’t, so people have to do the best they can.

PROTIP - type your post in Word first, do your happy little spell check, and then cut and paste it into a post.

And it is less making fun of people, and more about educating them, especially when, at least in my examples, people make their mistakes orally. You cannot blame dyslexia for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter