• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just a couple ride ?'s for a pregnant woman...

nikerbokers

MamaDisney
Hi all... This will probably be my 15th or so trip to Disneyland in my 30 year lifespan this week but the first time I will be visiting while pregnant (19 weeks). I know to avoid Indy, Space Mtn, ToT, BTMR, Mater, etc but I think I can go on most rides though. My pregnancy is very low risk, it's my 2nd pregnancy, I feel great.

I really want to go on these rides still if possible... I'm thinking I'll be fine on these but thought I would check to hear if anyone else rode them while pregnant with bad experiences:

- RSR- It's not super bumpy or throws you and the dips are small.

- Splash- My favorite ride and other than the drop, it's pretty tame.

- TSMM- It's a little whippy with switching the games but other than that, no height restrictions right?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Every person has their own thoughts. TSMM has no restrictions for pregnant women. You should be fine.

RSR - Personally, I don't see this much different than driving 35 mph on a curvy road. That said, we have been on it once when there was a very abrupt E-stop. The tightening for the belt when we stopped from 35-0 quickly was uncomfortable. (It happened right at the finish line.) If that hadn't happened to me, I wouldn't have a reason to say it isn't a good idea.

My youngest is 25, so I haven't rode while pregnant in years. But this is what I would recommend to my DILs.

I went at 34 weeks and TSMM was fine, no height restriction. Didn't do the other 2 because my 2 year old was too short. The risk with drops and jerks is placental detachment, which to me isnt a risk worth taking. I just did the rides with my 2 year old. The only issue I had was the lap bar felt snug on Ariel and Pooh. Mr toad whips around a bit more than I expected. Have fun! Snacking pregnant is the best.

Always talk to your doctor about anything if you are not sure about it. I can't give you advice because I'm not sure if you are a high risk or not. Personally, I would stay off rides but that's just me.

I went during my 2nd trimester, and I rode pretty much anything that didn't have a warning against pregnant women riding. TSMM doesn't - it's a bit jerky, but I wasn't uncomfortable. I actually rode Mater because I didn't see a warning against it - oooof, that was crazy jerky and I would certainly not recommend it. I, personally, would skip anything that specifically recommends that pregnant women not ride it. While I'm pretty sure that they restrict some rides out of an overabundance of caution, my doctor and I agreed that it was best to follow their recommendations. Now, our local Six Flags which has a warning against pregnant women riding the freaking carousel? Yeah, I use my own judgement there :)

I rode Splash while 13 weeks pregnant after seeking advice from my OB. My doctor was a seasoned Disney Parks enthusiast, so she knew the severity of the rides, and knew exactly which I should avoid. She said the risk is placenta detachment, which - is very serious, and could cause you to lose the baby. Not to be taken lightly. I never had high risk pregnancies, and advised me that ToT, Indy, BTMRR, Space, Mater,and California Screamin are the most dangerous to ride for placenta detachment due to speeds, sudden jerks at high speeds, and the G forces during the drops can make the gravity of the womb more severe than most would think. Placenta detachment however, is not common in low risk pregnancies. The womb is highly protected as it is. My doc said Splash Mtn, although it has two drops, they are not too steep in incline that it causes your abdomen to "slam" from g force. RSR should be safe to ride as well, for the same reasons. Ultimately, it is entirely up to you. You know your body better than anyone else, listen to it, take it easy, take breaks and make sure you stay hydrated and well fed. Talk to your doctor for reassurance if needed.

I rode Splash (my fave) at 5-6 weeks pregnant, feeling like if we hadn't been trying, many people don't even know they are pregnant yet. The ride itself was fine. But, you know after the big drop where the logs back up before the river boat part? Well, I never noticed how hard you get slammed by the logs behind you until I rode pregnant. And it happens 4-5 times before you move again. It was awful and freaked me out. That "baby" is now 5, so all turned out fine, but those were jolts I never considered before!

It's not worth it if an accident should happen. I believe the safety rules are in place for a reason, anything could happen and I wouldn't want to hurt my a baby or myself since I didn't follow the posted guidelines.
I went to a park known for its roller coasters while pregnant and had such a fun time riding the few things I could and the. People watching, picture taking and finding good things to eat the rest of the time.

I think I feel the most comfortable with TSMM and RSR. I'll just have to admire Splash from afar this time. I didn't even think of the logs bumping after the ride is over... Thanks for your advice or sharing your experience.

I rode TSMM at 32 weeks! It doesn't have restrictions and I was not uncomfortable. I would opt out of RSR because of the e-stop like a pp mentioned. Many of these rides that have restrictions are because of the e-stop not the movement of the ride itself. If you had to slam on your breaks in your car going 35, would you go to the doctor to get checked out afterwards, being pregnant? I would. So, I would choose not to ride.

This is a very personal question depending on your comfort level. I have IVF babies and had not only spent thousands to get pregnant, it had taken me years. Saying that because it gives background. I wouldn't ride anything when I went that my 30 inch 20 month old couldn't ride. That is what my doctors told me. I wouldn't ride Splash or RSR pregnant. My thing is that I will be back to Disneyland and I can ride all those things later. If something were to happen to my baby because I chose to ride something, I would never be able to forgive myself.

I went to Disneyland when I was almost 30 weeks pregnant. I made the choice to follow the guidelines and only ride attractions that didn't have a warning. I throughly enjoyed TSMM but skipped RSR to my disappointment. I really enjoyed the trip though because I was able to spend a lot more time just enjoying the parks and people watching, as opposed to standing in lines. And though I had a very healthy and energetic pregnancy, by mid-day at the parks, I was wiped out and needed my rest. Have fun on your trip!

I went to Disneyland pregnant this spring; we now have a healthy 4-week old girl.

I rode Pirates, HM, Ariels, all of Fantasyland rides, etc. I pretty much stayed off anything jolting or high speed and spent more time with my 2y/o while DH spent more time with the 5 y/o.

RSR-I rode this once or twice. No problems and did not feel it was jerky at all. It moves slower than the car we drove to get there.

Splash-I went back and forth about whether to ride or not. Finally did, but I wished I hadn't. I just didn't feel safe during the ride.

TSMM-Really no reason not to ride. It doesn't have a warning and the spins are not very rough. Rode this several times.

Maters-Doesn't have a warning either, nor do the teacups. I know I went on the teacups at my husbands urging, I can't remember if I rode Maters as my visits are blending together in my memory, but I think I did.

GRR-I went on GRR once too. It actually felt a lot safer than Splash, but there is the slamming issue with this one too that someone mentioned about Splash. Other rafts bump into you, and the raft can slam into the metal bars used to separate the rafts. For that reason I think it's best to avoid.

Gadget's-We went on this as a family. It is extremely mild and doesn't have the slamming effect that some of the other rides do.

Don't do anything you're not comfortable with and make sure you stay hydrated.

RSR-I rode this once or twice. No problems and did not feel it was jerky at all. It moves slower than the car we drove to get there.
I agree it is not jerky and you can't get bumped, and it is only 35mph at top speed. HOWEVER, I was involved in an E-stop, where the car stopped at the finish line (35 to dead stop) that made me rethink my whole "Would you advise someone to ride this pregnant." I would advise my DIL not to ride. Prior to that incident, I would have said "What is the big deal?"

Now this is not my experience but that of a close friend. We went in 2013 and she was in her first trimester. She rode almost everything. The only rides she didn't ride and mostly due to not liking the ride were California Screaming, Goofy's Sky School, Tower of Terror and the Matterhorn.

She rode Indy, Splash, Space, TSMM, RSR, Mater and others without issue.

I agree it is not jerky and you can't get bumped, and it is only 35mph at top speed. HOWEVER, I was involved in an E-stop, where the car stopped at the finish line (35 to dead stop) that made me rethink my whole "Would you advise someone to ride this pregnant." I would advise my DIL not to ride. Prior to that incident, I would have said "What is the big deal?"
I experienced an e-stop on Snow White and I felt it was pretty jerky. I would probably think about the placement of every safety belt and lap bar after that, even if the ride doesn't have a warning.

Last time I went to Disneyland I was about 9 weeks pregnant with DS #3. I avoided a lot of rides. The only ride I went on that was questionable was Soarin. TSMM was fine. I avoided all the new Carsland rides. I basically ate my way through the 2 parks. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter