Jury duty and the elderly

topolino

DIS Veteran
My 81 year old father got a summons for jury duty yesterday. He plans on finding out on Monday whether or not he can get out of it, but will serve if he has to.

In the meantime, I was curious if there was anyone here with experience with jury duty and the elderly, in particular what factors would allow them to be relieved of their duties.

Thank in advance.

Our area is 72 and over can opt out. Also anyone with a medical, mental or health reason that has a doctor's letter out lining the issue. I can not image any state or county requiring an eighty year old to serve, though I know some 80 year olds that would love to serve and could do a good job.

It should clearly state on his summons if he is eligible or not. They will give exact reasons for being excused. I believe some states have an age limit some do not. Look at his summons.

Realistically, it's unlikely he'd make it past jury selection anyway. I chatted about stuff like this with an attorney friend once; a huge age gap between the defendant & potential jurors is one thing that's often avoided.

I have a summons for jury duty on Monday, and they have a list of exemptions on the card. All you have to do is fill it out and mail it back in. Anyone over 70 is exempt in my county.

In NJ, if you are 75 or older, you can opt out without any explanation. You can also choose to serve if you wish.

My dad was called for jury duty in January, just a few weeks before his 87th birthday. He did call, and was told that if he could walk up when his name was called, then he needed to show up. I drove him to the courthouse because it was soooo cold, and the parking was about a block away. I kept thinking he would call and tell me he was released from duty, but he ended up on a jury! I really thought the combination of his age, and the fact that he was both retired military (usually considered conservative) and a retired college professor (usually considered liberal) would make one side or the other strike him. He heard testimony for a day and half before the case was plea bargained. After the surprise wore off, he enjoyed serving. :)

Have him "show up" and once in the courtroom - have him fall asleep and "fake snore". ;) He will then be excused;););)

YES...I AM JOKING...

It should clearly state on his summons if he is eligible or not. They will give exact reasons for being excused. I believe some states have an age limit some do not. Look at his summons.

In our county you can opt out if you are a stay at home parent. Not sure what ages the kids have to be but I was able to just call and tell them I had little ones at home and no sitter or daycare. The kids are 13 & 15 now so I'm not sure if it still holds.

What bothers me is that for a place that's supposed to be filled with "our peers", why is it that all of the jury duties that I have attended have been full of students, working class and retired citizens. Why no physicians, attorneys. CEOs, celebrities? Sure, they probably won't get picked, but why aren't they at least in the pool of applicants? Sure, I know that they get out of it beforehand, but how does that end up being a jury picked from a pool of our peers when only certain types of people are there to choose from?

Speak up young man, I can't hear you. And speed it up, it's almost time for my afternoon nap.

What bothers me is that for a place that's supposed to be filled with "our peers", why is it that all of the jury duties that I have attended have been full of students, working class and retired citizens. Why no physicians, attorneys. CEOs, celebrities? Sure, they probably won't get picked, but why aren't they at least in the pool of applicants? Sure, I know that they get out of it beforehand, but how does that end up being a jury picked from a pool of our peers when only certain types of people are there to choose from?

DH is a former public defender and would love to serve on a jury. Yes, he is in the pool of applicants but if he made it as far as jury selection, the prosecuting attorney would be sure to keep him off the panel.

I can't recall her exact age at the time (now 83) but she was in her 70's. I wrote a letter for my MIL stating why it would be a hardship and she has been removed from serving. This is in NY State.

thats crazy, you shouldn't have to serve if you dont want to if over 65

My mom got a summons and was so excited about it. She is 75 and has dementia, heaven help anyone who got her on a jury. My dad took her and they dismissed her very quickly!

Anyone over the age of 70 is exempt from jury duty in California.

DH is a former public defender and would love to serve on a jury. Yes, he is in the pool of applicants but if he made it as far as jury selection, the prosecuting attorney would be sure to keep him off the panel.

In Australia lawyers can't serve on a jury. I know law students are also very, very unlikely to be picked.

I can't recall her exact age at the time (now 83) but she was in her 70's. I wrote a letter for my MIL stating why it would be a hardship and she has been removed from serving. This is in NY State.

My mom got called at 62 and I had her Dr write a letter saying she couldn't serve due to high blood pressure- I was glad he did it because it would have been a hardship on ME if she had to serve because she did not drive and that would have meant me taking off work to drive her to Jury Duty and back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter