Jungle Cruise - worthwhile?

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
Hi,

We're coming to Disney in October with DS9 and DD5 and planning our day / FP schedule.
On our first MK day, I have our morning starting with Big Thunder and Splash Mountain, and then heading over to Adventureland for Pirates of Caribbean and Magic Carpet. I have 'Jungle Cruise' in there as a space filler if we need time before lunch as I can't tell if it's any good. If it's just seeing animals in a boat, then doesn't sound over exciting (as we have a good zoo in our home town we go to once a summer)

What exactly is it (it's hard to tell) and is it worthwhile? I was watching the wait times the other morning and was seeing wait times of say 40 minutes, so not sure it's worth it. Or maybe it's a great ride and I just can't tell. Would love honest opinions. Thanks.

Jungle Cruise is a ride where you pretend you are on a long river safari in Africa and Asia. You see only animatronic animals, no real animals. The driver has a funny spiel full of corny jokes. You should try it once and your kids will probably like it. Jokes for you, lots of stuff to see for the kids. We ride it every time we go.

Worth it! They aren't real animals. I'm sure you could youtube it but every ride is a little different, depending on the guide & other guests you are riding with. Hopefully you can catch it with a wait time under 20 minutes. Ride with a sense of humor & enjoy being off your feet for a little while!
Do your kids like roller coasters? You guys are starting with some big rides!

The Guide makes the experience. If you get a good one that interacts well with the group you ride with and can ad-lib well, it will be a great time. If you get one that has to stay on script or can't deliver well, it can be a little less entertaining. We had a great one many years ago and our family can still recite some of his catch phrases (since we re-watch the video we shot over and over).

It's one of those classic Disney rides that is worth doing at least once...it's really a museum piece rather than a ride

it's multi week journey down the tropical rivers of the world (all compressed into about 15 minutes.)

Is it any good? Yea it's fun.

There is no science and no real animals on the trip. It's basically a Disney dark ride, in the daylight. They use boats instead of omnimover. you go though small vignettes. Some of them are as small as a single thing like a huge butterfly, "This butterfly has a wingspan ranging from 12 inches up to an incredible 1 foot." They have larger scenes like a camp destroyed by gorillas. and you'll get 4-5 rapid fire one liners about the gorillas.

The biggest problem with the attraction is that while the Skippers (the CMs that do the show) can't ad-lib, they do have a huge library of things to say and it's clear some are "More into" the job than others.

And honestly, you can't say you've been to MK till you have seen "the backside of water."

In a nutshell, JC basically a cruise through four rivers of the world and your "skipper" (guide) narrates along the way showing audio-animontronic animals, trees, plants, and other props. The main draw is the comedy. Along the way, the "skippers" throw in a lot of cheesy puns and jokes for good fun.

I love it though the others in my group rarely share that opinion!:lmao: It really depends on the "skipper" you get but most of my experiences have been great! Of course, the best way to make the most of the ride is to interact a bit with the "skipper" and try to play along. Just be warned, you'll certainly stand out and might be brought into one or two of the jokes.

I remember last October I was at MK for rope drop and hit Jungle Cruise around 9:45 or so, and as you'd imagine, most people were pretty tired. The jokes about everyone's ummm... early morning were hilarious and certainly memorable!

JC is definitely worth trying at least once!

It's a fun ride that's worth doing. In fact, it's my 11 year old daughter's favorite ride at MK. It's especially fun at night. It has a whole other feel and that's when we like it best, though we still ride it during the day too.

"And here is the great Schweitzer falls named after the famous explorer Dr Albert Falls"
I love JC and the skipper makes the ride. Also dont forget to have the kids watch the tarantula in the cage near the loading dock and the leg called Smith referenced in Mary Poppins is up with the unclaimed baggage.

The JC is indeed a Disney classic well worth experiencing and you will find you will ride it more then once. Like all Disney classics it has the Disney magic and pixie dust not found in any other parks.

AKK

Not me. I'm glad I rode it once, but I got really motion sick on it.

I feel sorry for you do you get motion sickness on most rides? :(

Most people will find the ride real tame but has some funny jokes that younger kids will likely pickup on and repeat and even a few adults :)

You'll enjoy Jungle Cruise. It's a lot of Disney fun. Then, for something completely different, ride the Jungle Cruise after dark. It's so different at night, but still all about fun.

You'll enjoy Jungle Cruise. It's a lot of Disney fun. Then, for something completely different, ride the Jungle Cruise after dark. It's so different at night, but still all about fun.

I agree: it is better after dark with everything lit up.

I feel sorry for you do you get motion sickness on most rides? :(

Most people will find the ride real tame but has some funny jokes that younger kids will likely pickup on and repeat and even a few adults :)

No, I don't, that's what was so odd about it! I can even ride all of the simulator-type rides which are notorious for causing motion sickness with no problem. I do get motion sick on boats though. Even the ferry from the TTC sometimes lol.

Could Frozen2014 be having some Monday morning fun with us? OP asked roughly the same question last Monday about Pirates of the Caribbean.

Thank you for all the responses.

The explanation helps. Will still keep it on our 'maybe' list and just see if our kids want to go or not.

I don't think you can say you've 'done' WDW until you've 'done' Jungle Cruise! It's a true Disney classic. It's one of the attractions that my dd would dearly love to work! And others are correct...the skipper can make, or break, the experience!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter