Jungle Cruise question

mindsuckr

Earning My Ears
I just got back from a trip where we rode Jungle Cruise multiple times (what can I say, I love the corny jokes). Anyway I noticed that when you go into the temple it is always silent and never any banter. Sometimes there will be a joke right as you enter, but nothing during the inside with the tigers, monkeys, and statues. There doesn't seem to be an enforced script since different CMs point out different things on the trip, but that part is ALWAYS the same.
I was wondering if there was a reason for this? :confused3

Sound tends to echo inside the temple and skippers aren't supposed to say anything for this reason. It can get loud and it can be hard to understand what they're saying.

I was always told it was to give them a break from talking and a chance for some water. Boat after boat in the Florida heat I know I wouldn't be able to talk the whole way

I also want to add that the silence while going through there also add's to the spooky feeling you get while going through it.... if the CM told his jokes, it would not be so eerie :scared1:

On our very first ride on it at WDW, we had a very good guide. We went into the temple, it was nice and dark, and he goes into gloomy song...."there's no earthly way of knowing...which direction we are going..."

It was the BEST.

On our very first ride on it at WDW, we had a very good guide. We went into the temple, it was nice and dark, and he goes into gloomy song...."there's no earthly way of knowing...which direction we are going..."

It was the BEST.

That's from gene wilder in willy wonks and the chocolate factory. :)

I could be mistaken but I thought I had a cm do that on our first trip five years ago. Or maybe it was dh or I lol bc that part kind of reminds of the scene in the movie.

I actually rode it many times in sept ( idk why but I love it) and wondered the same thing and wanted to make this thread but forgot . Three kids plus disney distractions makes one forgetful. Thanks sonmuch for posting this OP!

Back when I was a Jungle Skipper (100 years ago, it seems) the script called for a silent ride through the temple. At the time, there were sound and lighting effects on the inside (and there may still be....I haven't ridden JC in about 7 years) and it was set up to be a counterpoint for the Elephant Pool. It was also a chance for the skipper to sit down and give his voice a rest. Doing that show some 30 times a day, 5 days a week, can wear on even the healthiest young kid.

It was the BEST.

We had a skipper do that, too! It wound up being our favorite trip on the JC EVER! This guy rocked.

We're pretty sure he told every possible joke in the script plus some that weren't.

In addition to the Willy Wonka deal, when we rode by the scary looking tiger in Shirley's Temple, he looked over at it and said, "Tigger? Is that you?" :lmao:

Now I am racking my brain about this ride, because while it is usually a fairly silent trip, I could have sworn I have been on a few times where the guide actually did tell a few jokes during the transit through the temple (joking about the tiger, the monkeys, and even some of the statues inside the temple). My Dad would remember better, because he loves that ride. Perhaps it was just a case of a guide going off script, but I definitely recall a few times where they had a few jokes.

We had a skipper do that, too! It wound up being our favorite trip on the JC EVER! This guy rocked.

We're pretty sure he told every possible joke in the script plus some that weren't.

In addition to the Willy Wonka deal, when we rode by the scary looking tiger in Shirley's Temple, he looked over at it and said, "Tigger? Is that you?" :lmao:

We had the "Tigger? Is that you?" joke said in the temple when we were there in October. I remember it so clearly because I had loved the shirts at Animal Kingdom that said the same thing. So when our skipper said it, I burst out laughing.

Now I am racking my brain about this ride, because while it is usually a fairly silent trip, I could have sworn I have been on a few times where the guide actually did tell a few jokes during the transit through the temple (joking about the tiger, the monkeys, and even some of the statues inside the temple). My Dad would remember better, because he loves that ride. Perhaps it was just a case of a guide going off script, but I definitely recall a few times where they had a few jokes.

There are a few skippers who will tell jokes inside the temple, but they're not supposed to.

As far as sound effects in the temple, the tiger growls, the monkeys make some noise and you hear the pots and such banging a little bit. There's also some music.

Oh man I'd love to have the willy wonka thing happen.

Went today and my trip was silent

I think our skipper told us to make animal noises... but I could be thinking of something completely different.

We had a skipper quote the end of the Haunted Mansion once

"We have 999 haunts, but there's always room for one more". Everyone on the boat started laughing.

I love the skippers on the Jungle Cruise. They are very talented, and do a good job of keeping you entertained. These guides are the best!!

We rode JC twice while we there last week..how come the skipper doesn't shoot the gun anymore? He picks it up but doesn't actually shoot it like when we were kids..

A female CM sang very softly & hauntingly a Yo-Ho, Yo-Ho rendition from the first Pirates movie where at the beginning a young Elizabeth is singing on the ship. It was outstanding. I don't think most of the guests got it. I even sent an email to Disney praising her. Of course if she wasn't supposed to be doing it perhaps I just threw her under the bus!

We had the "Tigger? Is that you?" joke said in the temple when we were there in October. I remember it so clearly because I had loved the shirts at Animal Kingdom that said the same thing. So when our skipper said it, I burst out laughing.
They also had/have one with elephant and POoh asking if it's eeyore. It's super cute and I need to buy myself a new one before I wear mine out.

We rode JC twice while we there last week..how come the skipper doesn't shoot the gun anymore? He picks it up but doesn't actually shoot it like when we were kids..

It is two things. Sometimes they like to shout things like "go away, I have a gun" or "shoo shoo" for the comedic effect. Other times it is that the gun effect does not work on the boat. During one of our many rides last time, the gun worked. The CM was so surprised he kept shooting it and shooting it in amazement. He then said, "Um, you gotta watch out for those hippos in the uh..trees...those are dangerous ones." and then said how amazed he was that it worked. I've also heard other CMs say that the hippos hate the clicking sound the gun makes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter