Juneteenth set to become a federal holiday in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I notice things designed to enlighten all just end up divided and we wonder why conversations get stuck in the mud. Stuck in the mud you don't get to move or in other words you're just stagnant, like many of us feel is the issue.

Technically yes but one was like a temporary prison sentence and one was a life sentence. KWIM? "Our" (yuck) ancestors were well versed in how to treat people like dirt before they came to the US and then took things to a whole new very low level.

My great-grandfather was a decorated war hero, he was also a servant in a wealthy household. He left England to come to the US, leaving his wife and kids behind, so he could have a choice. Many servants were tied into their families and if they tried to leave to find work elsewhere they would be blacklisted(I am sure there's a more formal word for is and I am sure somebody will come along and correct me :rotfl2: ) But many were "prisoners" of their employers. You worked for them under the conditions they specified or you wouldn't work anywhere ever again.

He left, paid his dues here for a few years then was free to be the man he was in the end. ****ty but not even close.. :(
More like a life sentence for you and your children and their children and their children etc.

I'll quote myself from an earlier post:

Calling indentured servitude, a voluntary state in which people exchanged 7 years of labor for the ability to escape poverty in Europe for a new life in America, another "form of slavery", comparable to the experience of kidnapped Africans who endured the Middle Passage and then lifelong, brutal chattel slavery in the U.S., and watched the experience be passed on to their children, many of whom were born from nonconsensual relationships with their owners, is pathetic and offensive.

I am not disagreeing with you, but did you watch the little clip - it's not bad.
Like slaves, indentured servants could be bought or sold, were beaten, and were raped. They needed permission to marry.
But, they had an end date. I truly understand the difference.

My 4th great-grandpa's servitude ended 1865 (just by coincidence I think) and no other family members were bought or sold after that time.

On a different side of the family, I had a family member that not only fought to end slavery in the civil war, but was held captive in Andersonville prison - AND the family left back in Illinois during those 3 years of the sole wage earner's imprisonment ended up broke and with nothing. That family lost everything to end slavery. Which I suppose was good - my great-great-grandma left home and met my great-great-grandpa.

Why am I telling you all this? Because, I think that there is more that many of us have in common than we know.

I am not disagreeing with you, but did you watch the little clip - it's not bad.
Like slaves, indentured servants could be bought or sold, were beaten, and were raped. They needed permission to marry.
But, they had an end date. I truly understand the difference.

My 4th great-grandpa's servitude ended 1865 (just by coincidence I think) and no other family members were bought or sold after that time.

On a different side of the family, I had a family member that not only fought to end slavery in the civil war, but was held captive in Andersonville prison - AND the family left back in Illinois during those 3 years of the sole wage earner's imprisonment ended up broke and with nothing. That family lost everything to end slavery. Which I suppose was good - my great-great-grandma left home and met my great-great-grandpa.

Why am I telling you all this? Because, I think that there is more that many of us have in common than we know.
Yes, many people throughout American history have faced hardships, absolutely. But only one group, African-Americans, experienced American slavery. And American slavery was a uniquely unjust, horrific and damaging experience (damaging not only to individuals, but to our nation as a whole). That is why its end is so important that it merits a national holiday.

Last edited:

I ask this with the upmost respect. If Juneteenth will be seen as a solely one ethnicity centric holiday, what is the right way for non African Americans to celebrate it if no one else is allowed to find a personal relatable meaning on the holiday for them? I’m not saying to whitewash the holiday (like changing the name). But this feels more like I shouldn’t celebrate because I had ancestors who were mistreated and one who fought in the Civil War but according to some on this board that would be trying to undervalue the meaning of the day. Just a little conflicted on what is the correct way to celebrate the day respectfully.

I looked it up to see why it's called Juneteenth and this is what I found on www.britannica.com/topic/Juneteenth: "Juneteenth is a holiday commemorating the end of slavery in the United States. It is also called Emancipation Day or Juneteenth Independence Day. The name “Juneteenth” references the date of the holiday, combining the words “June” and “nineteenth.”

So I still don't get it, there are 7 days every month the end in teenth. So I don't really understand the name. It's not clear what day in June is "the day" based on the name. I don't care if the name is changed or not just sayin the name is a bit confusing.
Try saying “June nineteenth” several times or quickly. It morphs into Junnnnnnteenth or Juneteenth. Any other teen doesn’t do that. You can say June 13th, 14th, 15th, etc. more clearly than June 19th because June 19th has multiple N sounds close together.

Yes, many groups of people throughout American history have faced hardships, absolutely. But only one group, African-Americans, experienced slavery.
Genuinely curious why you don’t consider the term slavery as something that can be seen in different forms. Some indentured servants were sold by their landowners in Europe to settle debts. They didn’t choose come here either. I’m not saying one is a greater sin than the other.

My family gave up everything and ended up destitute to fight against slavery. I live in an underground railroad area that was teaming with abolitionists. While my 3rd great-grandfather was in a Civil War prison in GA, wages were lost. It wasn't a time when young mothers worked. I believe that my 3rd great g-ma did laundry at the local college (at least that's how the family history goes. But they were poor.
That poverty continues throughout generations, on that side of the family.
The day really really does have special meaning for me too.
Truly.

Am I allowed to celebrate?

I ask this with the upmost respect. If Juneteenth will be seen as a solely one ethnicity centric holiday, what is the right way for non African Americans to celebrate it if no one else is allowed to find a personal relatable meaning on the holiday for them? I’m not saying to whitewash the holiday (like changing the name). But this feels more like I shouldn’t celebrate because I had ancestors who were mistreated and one who fought in the Civil War but according to some on this board that would be trying to undervalue the meaning of the day. Just a little conflicted on what is the correct way to celebrate the day respectfully.
Celebrate it for what it is. The ending of American slavery. Our nation should celebrate it. Don’t celebrate it as something you relate to by turning it into a celebration/remembrance of something it isn’t.

It doesn’t mean you can’t have empathy. But you can’t change the meaning of the holiday.

My DD22 just started working full time for a government contractor. We recently went over her work calendar to check her paid holidays. She also only gets 6 of the 11 paid government holidays off. But last year the company president sent everyone an email on June 19th telling them to leave work at noon in honor of Juneteenth. It’s on a Saturday this year, so I doubt it will happen in 2021. I’ll update next week if it does.
Update as promised:

DD just got an email telling everyone to go home 3 hours early today (Friday 6/18) in honor of Juneteenth! Yay!

Honestly? For me it's immersing myself in experiences that give me education and information that which I didn't know before. I honest to gosh don't feel like I need to relate in any sort of way here to appreciate both the formation of a Federal holiday and what it stands for. That said I'm an information seeker, I thrive on knowledge.

I've got plenty of places in my metro that I have not visited that can give me that information and community awareness, all I have to do is seek it out. Admittedly I live in an area where this is easier to come by. I understand not everyone does. But there's a lot of places you can look up on your computer, videos perhaps at your local library, maybe even in your area will start having events, speakers or something.

I will be perfectly honest that not every holiday that comes about gets the same thought provoking stance from me, I won't pretend otherwise. But I can say I will on this one.

I don’t want to derail this thread, nor get it locked because I think it’s an important conversation being had, but I don’t know how you can’t see it isn’t one sided - you even point out that you agree with one side. How is cancelling Coke & MLB because of the All Star game, not cancel culture? NFL? NASCAR? NBA? The list goes on and on.

I do agree the term is new and coined by one side. But it’s hypocritical because they’re doing it as well. In any case, if you’d like to discuss it further, feel free to DM me and I can explain further how it is absolutely not one sided.

Ok I can accept you misspoke because you absolutely did put them into the same thought. And you didn’t talk about general free speech. You specifically said it’s in the Constitution. The one in the Constitution has nothing to do with being able to express an opinion here.

Now I agree with you that everybody should be able to express an opinion here. But then they also need to be ready to accept the feedback they get, even when they don’t like it.

To your first comment to me, the things you are referring to in this comment is a whole nother issue and can't be discussed here because it IS too political. If you don't understand that and the issue with MLB that is your problem not mine.

I have no need to discuss it further with you because I'm pretty sure you and I will never see eye to eye on the topic based on the responses I have seen from you so far.

I think this has already been said several times and we are all aware of it without you pointing it out. Thank you

That is some mental gymnastics right there…

Not sure why it being a federal holiday changes anything. We’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Perhaps a holiday that celebrates the end of other forms of indentured servitude in this country would be more appropriate? Instead of trying to co-opt one that celebrates the end of African slavery.

So what your saying is this holiday is for blacks only? Do I understand you correctly???

Christmas Day is also a federal holiday and I'm sure there are plenty of people in the United States who are not remotely Christian or bother to observe the holiday at all. They either find another way to celebrate (secular, parties, gift giving occasion) or they don't do anything at all, stay in, watch TV, and order Chinese food. You can do that---which is to do nothing.

Or you could look at it as not an ethnic-centric holiday anymore and appreciate it for what it is: the day the last gasps of formal slavery of Blacks ended. Something everyone in a country should be proud of. It's great when a country can move forward, recognize things it does wrong, correct them, and celebrate that.

Why is a holiday that isn't seen through the lens of white people such an issue? On St. Patrick's Day (no not a federal holiday, I know), everyone is content to be Irish for the day and celebrate. Why are some people so opposed to celebrating the way African- Americans prefer? I'm not calling anyone out, truly I'm not. It's a day for celebrating something awesome and it's about time, not a day of reckoning for white people. Why is this even a controversy?

I had an acquaintance on FB call it 'Guilt Day,' which was not helpful. it seems that this country still has a big problem if we can't have this day without it being a big to-do for some.

So what your saying is this holiday is for blacks only? Do I understand you correctly???
I am white, and very happy to celebrate Juneteenth... the true end of slavery. I personally am thankful my knowledge has been increased as I have learned a lot this year about things I didn't know about before... Tulsa Massacre ... Juneteenth.

I think it has to do more with one's level of humanity... than one's color.... to be comfortable celebrating a holiday about people and freedom.

(Did you know that using so many question marks makes it look like you’re yelling?)

No. What I’m saying is that it’s a holiday to celebrate the liberation of enslaved black people, not that we have to be black to celebrate it (with the appropriate respect for its significance).

"Whataboutism" at its best. Juneteenth is not about every person who has ever been enslaved. It is about the emancipation of enslaved black people in America. To try to make it about anything else so one can feel comfortable with it - to want the name changed to something less "silly" so it can be understood is white privilege at its finest. Don't understand the name...look it up. The link in the first post explained it in the first sentence. If it makes one uncomfortable that it commemorates something that happened to black people and not white, perhaps one should reflect on oneself and wonder why that is.

For those who feel "excluded" from Juneteenth and need to find a way to make it about them, I wonder if there's also the same feeling of exclusion over Christmas...a day that commemorates an event specific to Christians...basically excluding non Christians. And before the "Christmas is celebrated secularly by many", let's not forget how ever year people get all up in arms about the "War n=on Christmas" and "put Christ back in Christmas".

Wow, truly off the charts! So this is a black only holiday? So you want us all to celebrate this day but it can only be about black people? I would call that black privilege at it's finest. Sorry if you don't like it but that's how your comment is coming across. You assume some are uncomfortable with this day, I'm not sure why but you can think what you like it doesn't matter to me. I never asked for the name to be changed, never even suggested it, just wanted to know how the name came about. If you think that is white privilege then you have a problem not me. It appears that this holiday is becoming a very divisive day rather than a day to bring us together based on your comment.

Not even going to touch the last part, you seem to have some very deep issues. Wishing you well, I hope you can find peace in your life.

(Did you know that using so many question marks makes it look like you’re yelling?)

No. What I’m saying is that it’s a holiday to celebrate the liberation of enslaved black people, not that we have to be black to celebrate it (with the appropriate respect for its significance).

No

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter