June starts our "Incredible" Summer!

Veronica - wow, that does sound busy. I love Six Flags!

I officially started my Half training last night with 3 miles in 30:59. I've been having some issues with my right knee this week. Might try out a compression brace on my next run, see how that works out.

Nailing down my race schedule for the summer. I have a 5M on 6/26, a 10k on 7/10, and a 4M on 7/17. Need to figure out where to go from there, as the New York races are mostly HMs for a few months, and absurdly long runs for those gearing up for the NYC Marathon.

Oh my gosh, I've fallen off the face of the earth! Usually I get every post sent to my e-mail but I haven't been and I forgot all about you guys! I'm so sorry. I kinda skimmed the posts but I'll have to go back and read them all later. I'm swamped at work. It's been a busy week and a half. After my 10K, my DD (8 months old) was in and out of the ER with 106 fevers. That and my DS (3 next month) had croup. Fun stuff. I didn't run for almost a week. I've gotten in three runs since then and my average pace has been 9:40. I'm like... where did that come from? I was hoovering at 10:01-10:05 and now 9:40... and it's easy! Really? I'm doing another 5K on the 26th and I've decided to do the Indianapolis Half on 10/16. Nervous but excited. I'll check back soon. Work is busy today and we're taking the kids to the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago tomorrow. Keep kickin' butt, ladies!

I officially started my Half training last night with 3 miles in 30:59. I've been having some issues with my right knee this week. Might try out a compression brace on my next run, see how that works out.

Nailing down my race schedule for the summer. I have a 5M on 6/26, a 10k on 7/10, and a 4M on 7/17. Need to figure out where to go from there, as the New York races are mostly HMs for a few months, and absurdly long runs for those gearing up for the NYC Marathon.

Hi amy-good luck with your half training. Be careful sometimes when you start getting knee pain its from over use. If it doesnt get better you might want to try backing off a little.

Oh my gosh, I've fallen off the face of the earth! Usually I get every post sent to my e-mail but I haven't been and I forgot all about you guys! I'm so sorry. I kinda skimmed the posts but I'll have to go back and read them all later. I'm swamped at work. It's been a busy week and a half. After my 10K, my DD (8 months old) was in and out of the ER with 106 fevers. That and my DS (3 next month) had croup. Fun stuff. I didn't run for almost a week. I've gotten in three runs since then and my average pace has been 9:40. I'm like... where did that come from? I was hoovering at 10:01-10:05 and now 9:40... and it's easy! Really? I'm doing another 5K on the 26th and I've decided to do the Indianapolis Half on 10/16. Nervous but excited. I'll check back soon. Work is busy today and we're taking the kids to the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago tomorrow. Keep kickin' butt, ladies!

Hi Jess.....we missed you....how can you forget about us.:confused3 JK
sorry to hear about the kiddos hope they are now feeling better. Gosh :scared1:106 must of been scary. Isnt it funny that after you dont run for a little you get faster....:confused: not sure how that works but I notice too when I miss a run and its been a few days it feels easier and I seem a little quicker (not by much but still its faster in my book:rotfl2:). Your times are looking great and Im sure you will do fine on the 26th. Hope you have a gread day at the aquarium tomorrow sounds like alot of fun.

So today was my week 7 weigh in. I had a tough time this past week and I felt like I did not eat the greatest. I honestly thought I stayed the same or even worse possibly gained. To my surprise it was good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Week 7
Wt loss 2.4lbs
Total loss=16.4lbs

I was amazed and thankful all at the same time. If I can keep it up I will definitely be able to reach my goal weight by the princess 1/2. I still have 43.6lbs to go in 8 months and 2 weeks. I think I can....I think I can..... I think I can.......Thats what I will keep telling myself.

Good evening Incredibles!!!!!
"You were born to run. Maybe not that fast, maybe not that far, maybe not as efficiently as others. But to get up and move, to fire up that entire energy-producing, oxygen-delivering, bone-strengthening process we call running." --Florence Griffith-Joyner
Thanks, I needed this tonight. I have my first 5k tomorrow, and am a little nervous. I know I can do it, and it doesn't matter how fast, I'm just going to finish it. But I want to be under 45 minutes. I seem to run 16 min miles for 3 miles, so I hope I can beat that. Of course my timing is my mickey mouse watch, so not very accurate. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

I picked up my packet and was wondering if people wore the t-shirts or not. I googled a running your first race article that said not to wear the t-shirt because it could bring you bad luck and make you look like a rookie. Well, I am a rookie, but don't want to look like one. :rotfl:

Lindsay- congrats on your loss this week!! You're rocking it, girl.

Veronica- Hope you busy week is going well.

Amy- congrats on your 10k!

Beth- welcome and I hope you enjoyed your night alone with DH.

Keep up the great running, ladies!! I'll be back tomorrow to tell you how I survived my race!!!!

I picked up my packet and was wondering if people wore the t-shirts or not. I googled a running your first race article that said not to wear the t-shirt because it could bring you bad luck and make you look like a rookie. Well, I am a rookie, but don't want to look like one. :rotfl:

Keep up the great running, ladies!! I'll be back tomorrow to tell you how I survived my race!!!!

DO NOT WEAR THAT SHIRT UNTIL YOU HAVE EARNED IT!! I mean that in all honesty. It is bad luck to wear it for the race, and it is supposed to be a shirt for FINISHING the race, not for just signing up. But take it with you and wear it after and WEAR IT WITH PRIDE!!

I am sure you will do great, you may be very surprised at what a race can do for your time. I'll be rooting for you from here!!

DO NOT WEAR THAT SHIRT UNTIL YOU HAVE EARNED IT!! I mean that in all honesty. It is bad luck to wear it for the race, and it is supposed to be a shirt for FINISHING the race, not for just signing up. But take it with you and wear it after and WEAR IT WITH PRIDE!!

I am sure you will do great, you may be very surprised at what a race can do for your time. I'll be rooting for you from here!!
Thank you so much Veronica!! So funny, I brought the shirt home and thought, it's so cute, and it matches my black shorts, but then I thought of the pics I had seen on the website when I signed up, and realized noone had the same shirts on.

Thank you so much Veronica!! So funny, I brought the shirt home and thought, it's so cute, and it matches my black shorts, but then I thought of the pics I had seen on the website when I signed up, and realized noone had the same shirts on.

You'll definitely appreciate wearing it more in the days following the race. I saw a girl on the street today wearing the shirt from the 10k I ran last weekend, and I was like, "rock on."

Amy - Congrats on starting the half training!:cheer2: You are going to have such a busy summer of races! It is way too hot down here in Fl to race for me. I just can't do it. I had knee pain a few years ago and found out it was from not changing shoes often enough, but I used a pattellar band and it helped a lot.

Jess - Hi! I am new here. I also have little ones, and my DS ran super high fevers when he was little and I feel your stress:hug:. Hope all is better now and that you had fun at the aquarium.

Lindsay - you are rocking the wieght loss!!!:woohoo: You can do it!

Kathy - hope your 5K was great!

I have had an ok week so far, just feeling under the weather with a summer cold. I am trying to take it easy in the running department, so I didn't run this weekend or Monday and then tried to run last night. Well that was a disaster! My stomach hurt from the curry I made for dinner and it was still blisteringly HOT:scared1:! and I left at 8:30! I ended up cutting the run short and walking home. I will try again tomorrow and see what happens. I am supposed to run a two mile time trial for my PT to set time goals for this fall, but I am thinking it will be pretty ugly:rolleyes1.

Until later,

Well, I'll be wearing my new t-shirt tomorrow!!!! I posted on the BL thread, but rambled, so I figured I'd copy and post it here too. I guess it's my first race report!!!

I ran my first 5K!!!!!!

It was really so amazing. A friend of mine did it too, and we met a few other women we knew, so when we got to the park it was nice to chat with them. My sister came with her two kids and watched Michael for me. This was a womans run for a scholarship fund for this woman Louise Rossetti who's daughter was brutally killed in 1981 at the age of 26. Louise started running to deal with her loss, so on the way up to the starting line, I met her and said hello, and then I started to cry (for the first time). Of note, I am a cry-er. The death of my mom is a year ago the 26th, and I've really tried to focus on the running to help keep me from turning to food, so I got it together, and we laughed because my sister and friend are also cry-ers, and Karen my friend said, oh, you must be irish.

We went to the back of the starting line, and the race began, and we ran by Michael and gang, and I was going a little faster than I should, and getting very short of breath, so I slowed down, and walked for a bit, and thought, what was I thinking to even attempt this, but I plugged away, walking and jogging, and when I hit one mile there was a man there telling us our times, and I was at 13.30 seconds, which is faster than I usually go, so that really pumped me up to keep at it, and mile 2 I was at 28 something. My goal was to finish, but I really wanted to finish below 45 minutes since I usually average 15-16 minutes per mile, so when I had one mile left and it was only 28 min gone, I was so excited, and thought I was going to make it in less than 45.

The last 100 yards or so, is down the driveway of the park and to the finish line, and I could hear everyone cheering, and I started to get teary again before I even got down there, but I kept it together, and ran the rest through the crowd, and saw Michael and the others who had finished, but once I went past them, I saw 43 min on the time clock, and was psyched. I went through and got some water, and composed myself, and went caught up with them. My time was 43:19 with a pace of 13.57 min/miles. I came in 357th out of probably 367 runners, but I don't care. I finished what I set out to do, did better than I thought I could, and am so proud of myself. I went faster than I have ever gone. I set my first PR, and am so excited.

Now, that feeling in the first mile of "what was I thinking?" is now completely gone and replaced with, "when can I do another race?"

I want to thank all of you here for all the support, encouragement, and inspiration you have given me. :hug:

SUPER job, Kathy! :cool1::thumbsup2:):lovestruc:wizard:

That's a great time and pace for your first 5k!

And yes, you will get addicted to racing. I just signed up for another summer race. I have two races next week. LOL. I need to do the training anyway, right? :)

I... need... to... run... I'm gonna die if I don't run today. Seriously. Do you know how funny it is for me to say that? I used to weigh 268lbs... I didn't run! I did an easy breezy three on Monday, Tuesday I couldn't because it was pouring and my parents don't have a treadmill, yesterday we went to the aquarium and my grandma's and the drive back home and my DS STILL wouldn't go to bed til 9:30 after his busy day. I've been itching to go for seven (first time) but there's so much going on today. Grr... I'll make something happen today. I need it for my mental sanity... and for my scale's sake. I'm about to take a sledge hammer to it!

Amy - Two races next week? Holy bananas! :thumbsup2 I have six before my half in October, one being a 5K next Saturday. I'm gonna break that 30 minute mark!

mikamah - Congrats on your first race... and for becoming a running addict. I ran my first 5K in May, my 10K in June and as soon as I was done with that 5K, I went through all the fliers in my packet and added eight races between now and Thanksgiving Day!

Bephus - Welcome to the team! You're gonna love it here! Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well. I hope you kick that to the curb STAT! How old are your kids? My DS will be 3 in like 3 weeks and my DD is 8 months.

mommyto2pirates - Congrats on the weight loss! What the heck is your secret? I have like 20lbs to go til I'm at goal and I'm just STUCK. Or better yet, it goes up. I really think I need to duct tape my mouth shut! And I think you can hit your goal in 89 months. I lost 100lbs in 11 so it's yours for the taking!!!

Kathy-

:cool1::thumbsup2:banana::woohoo::yay:

YOU ROCKED IT GIRLFRIEND!!!! Way to go!!! And now you are addicted to racing, welcome to the insanity. I am very proud of you.

So, as if I don't have enough stress, Tuesday night at 10:30 my phone rings (i'm thinking who the heck is calling me so late) It was my co-worker. The boss had called her, his wife was taken to the hospital by ambulance. He had said that she thought she had a stomach flu, he thought she had eaten bad seafood salad. When he got home, she was disoriented and had a fever. She refused to go to the doctor. Their daughter is an MD, she told him to just call the ambulance. When she got to the hospital, her blood sugar was over 900. Yep thats right, 900. Turns out she is insulin dependent diabetic. She is still in the hospital and will be for a few days. He did not come to the office yesterday, and we are only working half day today. She hasn't had a physical or routine gyn visit in years and is in complete denial about this. She is refusing any other tests (like a pap smear or mammogram). And to top it off, her mother (who is in her 80's and lives in NJ) calls the office and is P!ssed because no one called to tell her her daughter is in the hospital. Can we say DRAMA?

On a brighter note, I ran 3 miles this morning in my best time yet, 29:08. 9:43 avg pace. Not too bad. DD had a blast on her trip yesterday, even though it poured rain. Tonight is the TKD test. Each day I get to tick one more item off the list!

Kathy - great job!!! Welcome to the insanity of the race obsessed:rotfl:

Jess- DS just turned 4, he is the fever-prone one. We have done 2 ER visits in the middle of the night with him:sick: DD just turned 2, and boy is she 2! Drama queen doesn't quite cover it:lmao:

Time trial was canceled last night b/c it was raining cats and dogs with major lightening. Will meet with PT tomorrow for form analysis and running plan. I am a little skeptical about it all but we will see. I am trying to be open minded about trying new techniques to improve running but kindof feel like I know what I am doing. Oh well, she has helped me lose 12 lbs and the weight training is great. We will see.

Going to start ramping up my running to 4-5 tomes a week and only XT twice a week to start training for HM in November. Should be interesting in the heat :scared1:

have a great Friday ladies!

Beth- I know this heat is a killer to run in. I also worry thought that my official training for the princess 1/2 will start mid november and go until end of february. Im more concerned about the frigid temps, any suggestions?

Kathy- I know I said it on the BL boards but I will say it again. YOU ROCK GIRL:thumbsup2 Im so glad you enjoyed yourself and cant wait to hear about the next race you decide to do. You will be so ready for the princess!!!

Veronica- Oh the drama! I hope things have settled down for you.

Jess- I have no secrets to the weight loss. I am following Weight Watchers and running at least 3xper week and cross training (zumba) 2-3 nights a week. I am making sure I drink 6-8 glasses of water a day too. Im actually shocked at how well I am doing. The last time I tried to loose the weight it took me 11months and I lost 17lbs. I am at 7weeks and already lost 16.2. Its amazing.

I had another great run last night. It was perfect weather. 70's and no humidity. I ran for an hour and made it 4.75 miles. I have another 5K next sunday the 27th. I have a question for you experienced runners, should I be taking shorter runs throughout the week prior to the 5K or do you only taper when you are training for a longer run? Not sure what is the best thing to do. I really want to try to beat my last time of 38:00, I would really love to get closer to 36:00.

mommyof2pirates - I think you're doing great on the weight loss. I just need to remind myself of how far I've come and the last 20 are not gonna be as easy as the first 90-some. As far as tapering or what not before a 5K, I do my last long run the week before (Sunday). I'll do two runs of no more than 4 miles before then and try to rest 1-2 days before the race, preferably two. I did that the last two races and went down in my pace. I have another 5K next Saturday and I WILL be going under a 10:00 min pace... for sure... and resting Friday before the race (my last workout - x-training - being on Thursday AM)

Lindsay, you are doing awesome on the weight loss. Regarding tapering, I would say run your last "long" or equivalent run a week before and then maybe run 1 or 2 slow short runs. Then rest the last day or so before the race.

Beth-changing up training can be a good thing. I moved to a more intermediate training plan, it is paying off so far.

OK shameless plug time. I was chosen to be a featured "frunner" by the local newspapers running blog. You can check me out here:
http://blog.timesunion.com/running/frunner-meet-veronica-snyder/2162/

Tomorrow is 7 miles for me, it is supposed to be very warm, I am going to get out early to avoid the heat.

Beth- I know this heat is a killer to run in. I also worry thought that my official training for the princess 1/2 will start mid november and go until end of february. Im more concerned about the frigid temps, any suggestions?

I trained in NC for the Disney in 2006 and it was interesting to say the least. I went from running in the snow to running the marathon in 80 degree heat! I would try to get one or two runs a week in on a treadmill for warmer temps. Usually it is nice weather in March in Orlando, so you might even run faster:banana:.

Veronica - what a cool article! You and your daughter look so cute together.

Veronica, GREAT article. I loved it.

Did 7 miles tonight for the first time (previous distance was 6.2). The last mile or so was pretty ugly. Final time 1:20:something, but I'm thrilled to have it done, psychologically.

Thank you all for the running advice. You all are so great and I could not be so motivated without you. :lovestruc

Veronica- I love the article it is so inspiring. You should be really proud of yourself and your accomplishments. Your daughter is such a cutie, I bet she is very proud of her mama.

Good morning Incredibles and Happy Weekend!!

I'm almost completely recovered from my race. I will try to run today but won't be able to get out til this afternoon, and it's going to be very hot here. My left hip and right ankle bothered me a bit the past couple days, but I ran harder than I ever have, and at 209 pounds, that's some stress on my 46 yo joints.:rotfl: My hip is fine today, and the ankle almost back to normal. I think over the summer, I am aiming to run 3-4 day's a week, and to slowly increase my distance. I can do 3 miles now, so my goal is to be able to do 6-7 miles by the end of september. I think if I can do half of a half marathon in half a year, then I will be able to book the princess and be able to do the half 6 months later. Was that confusing?:rotfl:

Veronica- I loved the article about you. You and your daughter must have been so excited, and I'm sure you have inspired so many others in your area with all that you have done. Last fall, I got an email from another baseball mom, who I don't know real well about the c25k and how she had just run her first 5k, and it was so inspiring to me, just another neighborhood mom getting out there and running. I'm going to bet there's at least a few women like us who will read your article and be inspired to get out and run. Your daughter is so cute.

Amy- Nice job on your new distance record!!! Very exciting!!!

Jess- Wow, congrats on 90+ pounds gone. I have heard the last pounds are the hardest to come off, and you should be so proud of how far you have come. I always like to think that the longer it takes to lose the weight and the harder it comes off is a relation to how long it stays off, and feel if you work harder to lose it, you're likely never to regain it. Plus it becomes more of a lifestyle change than a quick diet.

Lindsay- Isn't it amazing how ww works? If you follow the plan, the weight comes off. It's always been that way for me. Once I stop tracking, I lose the control of exactly how much I am eating, and the weight comes back on. When I went to meetings, I was never one who weighed in and had a gain, and didn't know how that could have happened. It is such a good program, and you are rocking it, girl!! Nice job!!

Beth- good luck with your trainer today. Even though you might know as much as her about running, listen and take it all in, and maybe she will have a little tip or two that might help you out as some point. It must be fun to have a trainer, but I don't know if I could tolerate someone telling me what to do.:rotfl:

Have a nice weekend everyone. :goodvibes We're off to baseball this morning, and have a cookout and campout with the cub scouts tonight so that will be fun in the heat.:crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter