• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

June airfare - WOW!

disneygrandma

Mickey Fan
We're considering a trip to WDW in June for the last SW weekend. However, I was shocked at how high the prices are for airfare! We've never flown in June before. Are these prices typical for June travel? I don't want to mention this trip to the 2 boys (our 11 yr old grandsons) that we're hoping to take, since I'm afraid it will just get them excited about a trip that we won't do. Would we be better off to plan ahead for next year and book our air earlier? OR are high prices the norm for June travel?

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

We're considering a trip to WDW in June for the last SW weekend. However, I was shocked at how high the prices are for airfare! We've never flown in June before. Are these prices typical for June travel? I don't want to mention this trip to the 2 boys (our 11 yr old grandsons) that we're hoping to take, since I'm afraid it will just get them excited about a trip that we won't do. Would we be better off to plan ahead for next year and book our air earlier? OR are high prices the norm for June travel?

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I booked my airfare for June 2013 in July 2012. I'm pretty sure the tickets were ~$100 more expensive than my June trip in 2010.

It's hard to say whether you're seeing normal prices without giving a price. What you consider outlandish might be normal.

On SW, OMA to MCO, the days I'm looking at are $279 and $283 each way for our usual flight times. (one return flight was close to $350..one way!) As a reference, this past Sept they were $108 and $120 each way.

There were a few cheaper flights, but they involved arriving at MCO after 11:00 PM, which is not something I want to do alone with the 2 boys. Not to mention that ME wouldn't be getting our bags if we arrive that late.

SWA airfare seems to be high at the moment. I looked at airfare yesterday into Houston (to catch another Disney cruise out of Galveston in 2 months!) Current airfare is double what we paid just 3 months ago for our December cruise.

On SW, OMA to MCO, the days I'm looking at are $279 and $283 each way for our usual flight times. (one return flight was close to $350..one way!) As a reference, this past Sept they were $108 and $120 each way.

There were a few cheaper flights, but they involved arriving at MCO after 11:00 PM, which is not something I want to do alone with the 2 boys. Not to mention that ME wouldn't be getting our bags if we arrive that late.
Based on your reference, I'd target $175 one way. September I would expect to be less than June. I wouldn't expect June to be two to three times as much though.

Watch the flights, they should come down. We were pricing flights for February, they started around $450-485 roundtrip, and a couple of months later we got them for $210 roundtrip. We'll be there in six weeks!

I was just thinking the exact same thing about airfare in June from Chicago to Orlando. Yowza!!!:crazy2: I usually buy six months out for other trips and get decent prices, but I haven't bought to Orlando before. Those prices about made me fall out of my chair! From Chicago, they are currently a little over $400 a person.

I was just thinking the exact same thing about airfare in June from Chicago to Orlando. Yowza!!!:crazy2: I usually buy six months out for other trips and get decent prices, but I haven't bought to Orlando before. Those prices about made me fall out of my chair! From Chicago, they are currently a little over $400 a person.

Not sure of your dates, but check out AirTran. Just checked and some of the flights weren't to bad. Oh and I was looking at flying out of Midway.

Airtrain was slightly cheaper for the first week of June, thanks! I did just read in a few places to wait until 3-4 months before hand for the cheapest rates. I think I may keep checking in and see what happens over the next month?

I have a sinking feeling we will all be paying through the nose for flights in 2013! I'm not sure what my "straw that breaks the camel's back" price will be, though, because we truly enjoy our annual trippixiedust:

We just booked our trip for end of April, and found the same thing. Flights going out of Boston to MCO were horrifically expensive, and the flight times/paths were miserable (most were requiring at least 1 layover with a total travel time close to 8 hrs).

This probably isn't an option for you, since you are using ME, but we actually found flights out of/into different airports to be significantly less expensive. We'll be flying out of Portland, ME and into Tampa. The flight times are awesome (just what we were looking for) and for the two of us, we're saving about $400 in airfare.

We were planning on renting a car anyhow, and we've also found that renting in Tampa is $200 less for the week than renting from MCO.

Good luck with your flight search!

I just booked with Delta, direct flights out of NY at the end of June, for $200 a ticket!:cool1:

(I had a $500 credit with them, so I had too use Delta!)

We travel Spirit Air Det to Orlando and in March we are going Chicago to Orlando.. If you travel on a tues or wed, you get the better prices. We are traveling in March for $69 each way.. with taxes and 2 bags both ways ended up being $640 for 4!!
They are ON TIME.. Clean.. and non-stop!
Best of luck!!

Don't forget, if you travel via AirTran, you will need to add on the fee to your ticket price if you want to sit together (fee is for seat assignments). Something to consider when comparing prices.

Oh, and I too was looking for tickets for the end of June and also found them to be higher than I had hoped for :eek:

From past years, we've noticed that fares just keep going up. I bought our June 2013 airfare in November 2012, with what I considered a good reasonable fare. It has since doubled in price. I'd say as soon as you find something you'd consider relatively reasonable, book it.

We fly SW out of Midway all the time. This will be our 5th June trip. SW is still WAY too high to consider booking yet. Their prices will come down in the next several weeks, but you need to watch the prices (daily, if you can).

Also, Tues, Wed and Thurs are by far the cheapest days of the week to fly.

We usually pay about $100 each way (sometimes a little more, a lot of times less) for midweek flights to Orlando.

Good luck!

I purchased our airfare for our June trip this past October. In the months since, I've watched the price only go up. Right now it's $200 pp/rt more then when I bought. Howmany airlines are you pricing? Try leaving from an alternate airport if possible. As fuel prices for jet fuel keep going up, so will their fare cost. I would suggest to buy asap if you can.

I was shocked when I started shopping for airfare for our late May, early June trip. It is so high in price, even for the larger airport 2 hours away, that I had to talk my husband into driving. It was either drive, or not take the trip.

The prices I quoted were for Tues/Weds travel in & out of Omaha. If I drove to Kansas City, the prices are a little cheaper, but then I have the cost of gas & parking, not to mention the actual driving involved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter