June 9 Magic - KTTW Card Problems

brich

Earning My Ears
. We had a problem that eventually led me (I don't complain about a thing) to make out a complaint report with Guest Services. We went two and a half days where our KTTW cards would only let us in our room sporadically. We had problems Saturday night and into Sunday. They issued us all new KTTW cards but this only worked briefly. Next they changed the batteries in the door. This only worked briefly. They came back Sunday afternoon to replace the Card reading unit in the door and I asked if they could come back because our son had just gone down for a nap. They didn't come back and when I called Guest Services, they sent up more KTTW cards. I told them the problem was the door BUT the cards worked while they were here so they felt they solved the problem. It seems our stateroom host's card wasn't working either so we weren't getting our room cleaned or turndown service. Monday morning while returning from the Health Center with DS (103 temp) we couldn't get into our room yet again. Issued new KTTW cards. Finally, just after dinner, again, the 3rd issue of KTTW cards wouldn't let us in. I found the stateroom host and he asked that I call Guest Services on the hall phone. The person on the other end was less than friendly (no, I didn’t get his name but got everybody’s name from that point on). He insisted that I demagnetized them. This isn’t my first time with a KTTW card but it is the first problem I’ve had with them. They sent someone up with you guessed it, our 4th set of KTTW cards. When I tried to explain the situation to GS (I know his name, withheld to save him embarrassment) he listened with only one ear as he tried the new cards. They worked periodically for him and he felt this was acceptable. I didn't and once again told him the history of the problem only this time he wouldn't listen to me. At this point our stateroom host was here and now 2 technicians were here and nobody wanted to hear what I had to say. So they started troubleshooting from square one. We sat there and watched them try different cards. Install new batteries AGAIN and finally they realized that the door unit needed replacing. Something I was already aware of. I tried to save them a half hour of troubleshooting and save a half hour of our time but no one wanted to listen to me, the GUEST. The straw that broke this camel's back was after all this hoopla, I went down to purchase something at one of the shops and my KTTW card wouldn't work... That’s when I had had enough and went to Guest Services directly to rectify our latest challenge. I waited until they cordially solved the problem and at that point I asked to speak to someone with more stripes than the people who have been helping me. I was told I couldn't speak to anyone but I certainly could make a report, which I did. Let me say that my motive was not to get anything in return or for free and I made that perfectly clear when making the report but rather address a flaw in their system so the next person doesn't have to enjoy this.

From that moment on, we received numerous phone calls asking how everything was. Granted, the phone calls came in the middle of the day when we were sure to be out of the room but the message was fine just the same. We also had a visit at dinner from someone at Guest Services to personally apologize. And finally, we received a personal note apologizing and a card for my son with a picture of Chip and Dale personally autographed to him.

The moral of the story is this. When I made the complaint, I was sure this would be my last Disney Cruise. Why? Not because my KTTW card didn't work but rather a representative of "Guest" Services did not want to listen to a Guest. Which in turn contributed to the problem. The simple fact that I expected Disney to have the capacity to instill the use of a “service call log” escaped me. One in which they could evaluate the situation when I made a phone call to them. To be able to know what the history of the problem is and not have to start from square one every time I dealt with a different person.

It was the follow up that changed my mind. It was the exceptional service, personality and attentiveness of our servers Sunny and Dally. It was the constant smile from Anderson, our stateroom host. It was the fantastic service and follow up my whole family received from the staff at Health Services. It was Thierry's card. It was all the happy Cast members that didn't bat an eye when you asked for something. Disney isn’t special just because it’s Disney. Disney is special because of people like Sunny and Dally. Yes, they are all human. It’s just that some of them are superhuman and others just act like they are…

See you all on our next Disney Cruise!:cool:

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

brich, how interesting that we both had difficulty with our KTTW cards on the same cruise. (I wrote of my experience in my trip report: A Few "Negatives" Before...) I did not have the level of difficulty and inconvenience you did, and was still a bit annoyed. Sorry you had such a rough time and were treated inappropriately. I was told also that "I demagnetized" my KTTW; not "your KTTW has become demagnetized, sorry for the trouble". I kept mine in a plastic protector--that woudln't be the problem would it, since they sell the exact same thing in the Gift shops onboard? Anyway, I AM glad to hear that you received improved service after that incident. Just strange how it happened to both of us (any others?) on the June 9th Magic. I have never heard anybody else report such an occurence on the boards. Hope all is well with your family. When is DS #2 expected arrival date? I am OB/GYN RN, so can't resist asking! :D

I would be appaled if a cast member refused to let me speak to a manager. I wonder if they try to weed out the people who are just trying to get freebies???

I always want to point out poor service to managers because that is the only way my future Disney Experience will be good. If people accept mediocraty, then that will become the standard.

I believe that the officers are fairly accessible on the ship and would not hesitate to speak to one if I was having a less than excellent experience that was caused by their staff's poor attitude.

I'm glad that your problem had a happy resolution. Mine always have, but the time until the solution is enacted can sometimes be rough, like you had.

Scott

Isn't it funny that the CM's that are supposed to be the most helpful are the least helpful?

We had a similar experience on our cruise last year. We had a problem that we could not work out with guest services after 3 or 4 days. We eventually spoke with the cruise director (Jacqui) and she straightened things out immediately! If we have a problem on our next cruise I will try once to resolve it with guest services and then if they can't or won't , I won't waste any more time with them.

I wonder if I have the wrong idea of what Guest Services is supposed to do?

... but of a different nature. On the June 9th Magic, my DH's KTTW card was the only card that opened our safe, PERIOD! I believe the first card used, is the only card it recognises, which is a real pain, if you split up and want to use yor own card!
However, that turned out to be a minor issue, one that we didn't even bother going to Guest Services about.
We did make several calls and visits to Guest Services regarding another issue altogether. We received two gifts, in our stateroom upon arrival, from our close friends and the exact same gift from our TA. The first box opened (Sail Away Steamer Celebration Steamer Trunk) was filled with everything it was supposed to be! We were delighted! The second box had already been opened, and you could tell it had been re-taped closed again. When we took a look inside, everything was there EXCEPT for the bottle of Chardonnay. My DH explained this to our stateroom host, who simply said it was a gift from "the cruise line", and left it at that. We explained again, but he advised us to call Guest Services. So, that's what we did. I'm not sure why we bothered, as it was pointless. Trust me, it's not the wine that mattered, but the moral of the issue, and how no one wanted to take an interest. We went down to Guest Services and I immediately felt they were on the defense. They said that Disney employees would not have opened or tampered with the box (which you could clearly see had happened), because Disney Employees/Crew had their own bar to drink in and didn't need to take it from the guests! Like brich, I was dumbfounded at Guest Services blunt response! We again explained that it was not so much as the wine, but nature of the issue.... someone paid for a gift that was incomplete. We gave it a day and when nothing had happened, we went back down to Guest Services to check on the progress. That was a mistake, as it was evident they didn't remember us, or the incident. We are very laid back people and it must have showed! Now my DH got a little upset with their lack of follow through, and made it known. The GM at Guest Services ASSURED us it would be taken care of immediately and made a written notation of the facts... for whatever that was worth!
We new when Saturday, June 16th rolled around and it was time to disembark, that the matter had been dropped... Again! We never did receive a phone call, replacement bottle, apology.... nothing. We didn't even bother to take it any further than we did, as we didn't pay for a Disney Cruise to spend our entire time down at Guest Services!! We did, however, make the point well known in our survey..... and we are NOT holding our breath to see what might happen as a result of the survey! LOL! IF it EVER gets resolved, I'll let you all know!

:(

I should consider myself lucky that we didn't have any of these problems. We received the same box in our cabin and it was complete and all of our KTTW cards worked all week.
The card of the first person who opens the safe is the only one that will open it for the rest of the cruise.

During the 2nd episode of my KTTW being demagnetized, Guest Services came to our stateroom with a new KTTW (because I asked them to instead of me going there). The CM had to open our safe since I had locked it with my now demagnetized KTTW. We were told that the safe had to be opened by whichever KTTW locked it. Since my KTTW had "bad luck", I never used it again for the safe. After that, I did however successfully lock and unlock the safe with DD or DH's KTTW. As long as I used the same KTTW for locking and unlocking, I was able to use either of their KTTW. I didn't dare try my 3rd KTTW for fear it would be demagnetized if I even touched it! :rolleyes: I also thought, as you said cruzindon, that only the first KTTW used would be able to lock and unlock the safe. :confused:

I failed to mention the multiple times in which I had to call Guest Services to send someone up to unlock our safe after we received new cards. This was partially my fault because after the first time, I should have learned to open the safe before handing over my old cards.

All problems aside, KTTW cards, family getting sick, the room next to us had a chain smoker who enjoyed his habit on his verandah upwind from us causing us to come inside on many occassions and the nasty tasting Sprite they put in our million dollar mugs, this trip was fantastic. This was my our first cruise. I may add, I never had any desire to take a cruise. I may not cruise with anybody else. But I seriously see myself taking another Disney cruise.

Oh, and thanks for seeing my problem as information and not "Disney Bashing!"
:D

Hi Birch and FLfamilyof4,
Can you guys tell me what cabin you were in? I am worried now that we will have that problem when we cruise. It'll help to know if it is the same cabin...so if we have a problem and need to complain we can complain for you guys too! You are right most of us never complain...Sorry to hear about your problem.

Hi wildernessfamily! We were in stateroom 7094; lovely room & great location! My incidents were minor compared to brich's. I just had never read of anyone having such a problem. It certainly did not ruin our cruise, just inconvenient. The part that bothered me the most was how Guest Services CM said "you demagnetized your card" instead of "sorry your KTTW has become demagnetized". I imagine it wasn't meant rudely (hopefully). I was surprised though. Best of Luck on your cruise--you WILL enjoy it! :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Thanks for the information, we are in room 7114. I am glad you said it was a nice area and that everything else was fine...

Wildernessfamily,
We were in 7114. Just kidding. We were in 6124. Loved our room and location. If anybody has any worries about having the problems we had, I recommend they request 6124. I know for a fact that the card read unit in the door is brand new!!

Simba,
As for what demags the cards? I have no idea. Lets just say that I carry the whole families cards one on top of the other and with credit cards and I have never demagnetized any KTTW cards...EVER. Don't worry about it. If a problem comes up, speak to guest services and if they don't fix things, go right to the Cruise Director. Don't waste time playing games. It's YOUR vacation. I still feel mine was an isolated incident so don't worry. Think of all the fun your gonna have.:bounce:

We had the same problem at CBR one year while staying at WDW. Got a second set and that fixed the problem. They didn't know why all four cards stopped working.

Our cards worked really well, HOWEVER, DS did have to have his replaced once because he carried it "strip to strip" with his arcade card & he actually did cause it to be demagnitized, I think! He was given a replacement immediately along with a bonus $10 arcade card as a surprise gesture & was very pleased with that.

We also finally realized, after reading the safe directions (you know, when everything else fails..., lol), that the card that locks the safe also opens it!!!

I feel lucky to have only had wonderful & quick service from GS & no ongoing problems, but have to share sort of an odd remark (?) When I requested that DS's card not have charging privileges, the CM remarked (with a smirk), "Okay, he's been snipped!!" I was a bit slow to get it & he quickly changed it to my 'request being complete'

Hey there dylan's mom! Are you guys having cruise withdrawal like us? :p

How nice that you DS was given a $10 arcade card for the demagnetization episode. Good for him! Wonder why brich or I were not offered anything?! A free Bahama Mama or something would have been great! ;)

Email me please so I can send you a picture of us from the cruise. Perhaps you could send one to me as well. Would be neat if the picture would bring a "I remember seeing them on the Magic" response. brich and I did this. Unfortunately, I don't remember seeing him or his darling family. It was fun anyway! :D :D :D

I would LOVE to see a photo of you guys. I haven't scanned ours into the computer yet (well, I haven't had most of them processed yet!), but I have a few we picked up at Shutters. We all look a little stressed, but they still make for some great memories. YES, I'm going through the withdrawals & am starting to write a report & read the boards more, which seems to help! I have read your reports & they are great & I feel so weird to have been so near & yet so far! You said you were about the 15th people (I think) in line at the port & I think we must have been around 25 or 30th!

We spent 4 nights at the Contemporary at WDW before our cruise and those KTTW cards were supposed to work on the ship too. Hubby's wouldn't work the first day but mine did. Had his replaced with no problem. The next day mine wouldn't work! Had it replaced with no problem and they were fine after that. We discovered that the card that locked the safe was the card that had to be used to open it again.

Be careful if your purse has a magnetic snap closure. My daughter's did and it demagnetized her card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter