June 28, 2011 Disney Wonder 7-day Alaska

According to their website http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=sea#m=6&y=2011 they play against the florida marlins on Friday, Saturday and Sunday before our cruise in Seattle. Then they play the Braves (whcih is funny since I'm from Atlanta) in Seattle on Monday night. I just told my dh this and now he wants to go to a game.

Oh my - that changed at some point then, because the games against the Marlins were originally away games. The schedule even says "@Marlins". Weird!

Thanks for pointing this out, we definitely need to rethink our plans now!

Hello all,
I too want Palo Brunch, I logged in at 12:01am on my 90 day mark and still missed out. Now I hope we do not run over each other trying to sprint to get ressies:rotfl: I log on daily but always seem to find nothing. We do have the Tea booked but really wanted brunch. Oh well if we miss out it will be fine at least we will finally be on board and on our way to Alaska.
Today was the boys last day of school. My oldest son had his fifth grade graduation and he received the Gold Presidential Award for making straight A's all year. Sorry I had to brag a little:lovestruc
Anyway now it is time to concentrate on the trip. I am making a countdown calendar for the kids. I thought it would be something fun to pass the time.

I was trying to change our excursion to this one after reading reviews. It seems this whale encounter is on a smaller boat. I think I may try and change ours to just the Whale Encounter Only and just take the bus to Mendenhall Glacier in the morning. The one I booked is on the bigger boat that holds over 100 people, this one only takes 36.

That is why we want this excursion. I don't understand why it does not say no reservations available like the others do. I may consider what you are thinking of doing. How easy is it to get to the glacier because that is the part I want the most.

I did a lot of research about Mendenhall Glacier pretty early on. I used cruise critic to research since there is already a lot of information on there for Alaska. Many people said its easy to get to the glacier. They also mentioned you could reserve a shuttle ahead of time if you have enough people. There is a city bus that is inexpensive but you still have to walk about a mile. Others have reported shuttles that are $8 both directions. I think catching a shuttle should be pretty easy to do since this is a major attraction in Juneau.

Some people may be familiar with this but most if not all national parks have a jr ranger program. I emailed the director for Mendenhall and let him know how excited we were to visit and asked if there were any ranger led walks. He said they used to do it but stopped because there wasn't enough interest. He did offer me a contact person to have her send the jr ranger books ahead of time. She was very nice and sent JR ranger books to my kids. Usually you complete some tasks in the book and they give the kids a pencil or badge or something like that. Just wanted to let anyone know who might be interested in this.:yay:

Some people may be familiar with this but most if not all national parks have a jr ranger program. I emailed the director for Mendenhall and let him know how excited we were to visit and asked if there were any ranger led walks. He said they used to do it but stopped because there wasn't enough interest. He did offer me a contact person to have her send the jr ranger books ahead of time. She was very nice and sent JR ranger books to my kids. Usually you complete some tasks in the book and they give the kids a pencil or badge or something like that. Just wanted to let anyone know who might be interested in this.:yay:

I would be thrilled if I could have the information on the Junior Ranger program for my kids. They did it in Yellowstone and they loved it, but it was lengthy, so that would be great to have it before.

We rented a car for our Juneau day because there are 6 of us travelling together and we was less expensive than the Mendenhall shuttle. We also plan to tour some other sites while we are there. I have been researching hikes around Mendenhall, and would love any suggestions. My kids are 6 and 8 and are great hikers, but it looks like some of the trails are a bit tough.

Oh I would love info as well on the Junior Ranger Program. We did this at the Grand Canyon and the boys got a little gold badge. It was fun. Is there a number to call to get the books mailed? I did see online a book that you can print out for the program but it was dated 2009 and was not sure if it was still the same. I also read that some cruise ships offer the program with the Ranger on board. I wonder if Disney does? I have two sons in Cub Scouts and they love that kind of stuff.

I would be thrilled if I could have the information on the Junior Ranger program for my kids. They did it in Yellowstone and they loved it, but it was lengthy, so that would be great to have it before.

We rented a car for our Juneau day because there are 6 of us travelling together and we was less expensive than the Mendenhall shuttle. We also plan to tour some other sites while we are there. I have been researching hikes around Mendenhall, and would love any suggestions. My kids are 6 and 8 and are great hikers, but it looks like some of the trails are a bit tough.

My boys are 6 and 9 and are hikers because of scouts but a little whiney at times:sad2: I need to look up the email address and send you a message. The books are very nice. I am going to have mine start working on them now that school is winding down. Mendenhall has a great website that has a map with all the hiking trails listed. We don't have as much time as I would like so we will definately decide which to do before we go. The maps on line have all the distances listed as well.

I sent an email to Kmaher@fs.fed.us I believe her name was Karen. I gave her my address and she mailed me two books! Fun to hear there are other scout families on the cruise!!

The Klondike Gold Rush National Park has their Junior Ranger Badge info on their website... Both requirements and the activity book... Don't know the date, but it is current. (one park I know of hasn't updated their book in at least 9 years that I know of, so date is irrelevant, as long as it's current on the official website.

And yes, there is a park visitor center just a block or two from the docks...in..i think Skagway?

(sorry about any odd typos I missed...typing on my phone is interesting at times).

I sent an email to Kmaher@fs.fed.us I believe her name was Karen. I gave her my address and she mailed me two books! Fun to hear there are other scout families on the cruise!!

Thank you so much! I just sent her an email. So have you decided on a trail? I heard West Glacier Loop was beautiful and I thought we would go until my kids got tired and just turn around until I read other reviews on this board. It sounded steep and very difficult at times.

The Klondike Gold Rush National Park has their Junior Ranger Badge info on their website... Both requirements and the activity book... Don't know the date, but it is current. (one park I know of hasn't updated their book in at least 9 years that I know of, so date is irrelevant, as long as it's current on the official website.

And yes, there is a park visitor center just a block or two from the docks...in..i think Skagway?

(sorry about any odd typos I missed...typing on my phone is interesting at times).

Not sure if we will be able to make it to the Skagway one since our excursion is an all day. Thanks for the info.. maybe we can make it there too if we have time.

Hey! We are a scouting family also. My DS was a cub scout ages ago and got his Eagle at 14. DH has worked in cubs and as scoutmaster, as well as various things on the District Level. What a great program it is for molding young men!

Maybe we should have them all wear their uniforms and do a flag ceremony on the 4th of July..just kidding...that would be another thing to have to pack!

Unfortunately we will only have 90 minutes at Mendenhall (maybe if we do this part of the tour last we can stay longer and take a shuttle back ) We will probably only have enough time do one of the shorter walks. The most beneficial and educational for the time we have will most likely be the trail of time. Its a thirty to 60 minute walk but there is a brochure that gives the history of the wildlife, salmon and other info. There are numbers on it so it may correspond to #'s along the trail. And of course the photo trail since DH loves his camera!

Hey! We are a scouting family also. My DS was a cub scout ages ago and got his Eagle at 14. DH has worked in cubs and as scoutmaster, as well as various things on the District Level. What a great program it is for molding young men!

Maybe we should have them all wear their uniforms and do a flag ceremony on the 4th of July..just kidding...that would be another thing to have to pack!

Don't tempt me about the uniform thing.. What a great photo op.. We definately have to meet up. Your son sounds awesome. I have a Webelo II and a Wolf. My DH will be the cubmaster next year and I am the den leader for my younger one's wolf den.. Would really like to meet your family!!! My husband's nephew will be aboard and he is an Eagle Scout as well.. :thumbsup2

Thanks to ILuvJimny sending me the fish extender file with the children's names, I have sent the file with all names to everyone doing the fish extender exchange. This is the final list and if corrections are needed, please let me know.

Now some logistics. I will print extra copies of the list and will have them available at the DIS meet if anyone forgets their list. If anyone has a change in stateroom, I will have a whiteboard on the door of my stateroom (6626) where changes can be posted. Please have your gifts distributed by the last night of the cruise before the luggage has to put out. The most important thing is enjoy the exchange and the trip.

:sad1:
Don't tempt me about the uniform thing.. What a great photo op.. We definately have to meet up. Your son sounds awesome. I have a Webelo II and a Wolf. My DH will be the cubmaster next year and I am the den leader for my younger one's wolf den.. Would really like to meet your family!!! My husband's nephew will be aboard and he is an Eagle Scout as well.. :thumbsup2

Great to see other scouters around!

My sons are both Boy Scouts as well. My younger son crossed over this year, and my older son is about to earn Star. My wife and I have been involved in Cubs and Boy Scouts. I was the pack's Cub Master and now I'm Scout Master for the troop. Kim's taking a well-deserved break after being (at the same time!) treasurer, camp coordinator, and popcorn kernel for the pack.

Four weeks after we get back from the cruise I'll be sleeping in a tent in northern Wisconsin.....I'm guessing there won't be any room service there. :sad1:

Thanks to ILuvJimny sending me the fish extender file with the children's names, I have sent the file with all names to everyone doing the fish extender exchange. This is the final list and if corrections are needed, please let me know.

Now some logistics. I will print extra copies of the list and will have them available at the DIS meet if anyone forgets their list. If anyone has a change in stateroom, I will have a whiteboard on the door of my stateroom (6626) where changes can be posted. Please have your gifts distributed by the last night of the cruise before the luggage has to put out. The most important thing is enjoy the exchange and the trip.

Thanks for doing all of this, ILuvJimny and Nordkin!

Our plane takes off in three weeks -- 24 days until we set sail! I put off coming up with ideas too long, so now we're scrambling to get all the FE stuff together but I'm sure we'll make it. We had a lot of fun with it last time and it will be a fun addition to the cruise. Thanks again!

:sad1:

Great to see other scouters around!

My sons are both Boy Scouts as well. My younger son crossed over this year, and my older son is about to earn Star. My wife and I have been involved in Cubs and Boy Scouts. I was the pack's Cub Master and now I'm Scout Master for the troop. Kim's taking a well-deserved break after being (at the same time!) treasurer, camp coordinator, and popcorn kernel for the pack.

Four weeks after we get back from the cruise I'll be sleeping in a tent in northern Wisconsin.....I'm guessing there won't be any room service there. :sad1:
Our family is also in scouting. My DS is almost to his Life rank and my DH is the advancements chair for our troop. I have been the popcorn kernel for the past three years. By the way, our sons are the same age and have the same name. They are going to summer camp in a week so they have a week between camp and the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter