June 27, 2013 - Magic in the Med (Venice)

Finished with suitcases! I can't finish packing backpacks until Monday since I will put IPads and headsets in them.

I am packed, ready to go, and watching the clock tick away the minutes until I can run away from my job for three weeks and go jump on an airplane. Tomorrow evening... Barcelona!

Should have posted sometime ago but wanted to at least add us to the list. I'm traveling with my Mom and I.

So a lovely Mother & Daughter Med adventure. I'm 25 and my Mom is 56. We are in 7532! This will be my Mom's 2nd cruise on DCL, but many with other lines. This will be my 5th on DCL, but many on other lines as well. Both first timers to a med cruise.

I've been all over Italy and other countries on previous Europe trips, so some ports are new, some I've seen, but they are my favorites, so I'm excited to see them again. My mom has only been to Rome. We have DCL port adventures booked in every port except the first day at Venice, more for piece of mind and maximizing time. The ports and places I have been to in Italy were apart of a large tour group I did in high school, don't remember a ton, so we figured booking the port adventures was for the best.

We have some sort of a plan for Barcelona, we have a pre and post night, and a plan for Rome on your own. We pre-booked a few of the sites there to save some time in lines. I'm still researching for the first day in Venice, but it might be more fun to explore since at least that evening the ship can't leave you.

My mom and I definitely enjoy wine and drinks, meeting new people, seeing the shows, going to dinner, working out and walking on the deck, and tanning by the pool. I've been looking forward to this trip and I know she is too. I previously lived in Florida for 3 years working for the Mouse and was finally able to move back home to Texas for a better job opportunity and be closer to family in mid-May and my Mom just retired from a large oil company this spring, who she had 30+ years with, so a great reason to travel and celebrate.

We can't wait!
We leave Tuesday afternoon from Houston going through Frankfurt on the way. We are also on second seating. See y'all real soon!

Also if its easier to add me to the FB group, please do! That is a lot easier for me to see... I honestly never get on here.

My Facebook is under: Raleigh Michelle Fitzpatrick, Texas A&M network from Houston, TX. Hope that helps!

I sort of started packing and my mom is about half done... but we do have another day or two before it needs to be fully ready!

Also if its easier to add me to the FB group, please do! That is a lot easier for me to see... I honestly never get on here.

My Facebook is under: Raleigh Michelle Fitzpatrick, Texas A&M network from Houston, TX. Hope that helps!

I sort of started packing and my mom is about half done... but we do have another day or two before it needs to be fully ready!

Welcome Aboard :welcome:

I sent you a friend request in facebook. Not sure if being added to the facebook group is possible at this point as it is a closed group and the administrator has to add you. I will post over there and see if someone can add you:thumbsup2
The first post of this thread has info for meeting up with other Disers.

Today is spa day, nice and relaxing. We are going to see Monsters U this evening then spending tomorrow at the pool. Getting all the relaxation I can before we leave on Monday. Hope everyone's packing is going good!

Hi Everyone,
I know this is super late, but we changed our plans for Malta and have been trying to make some final decisions for our day in Valletta. I found this place called Casa Rocca Piccola and it is closed on Sundays. I spoke with them this morning and they will do a private tour on Sunday July 7, at noon if there are 12 paying adults/students. The adult rate is 9 Euro and the student rate is 5 Euro age 14 and up. Children under 14 are free. It is a private residence, so she did say it is designed for adults and students. If anyone is really interested please note on this thread but also send me a PM. Please check out the reviews and website www.casaroccapiccola.com Thank you.

Today is spa day, nice and relaxing. We are going to see Monsters U this evening then spending tomorrow at the pool. Getting all the relaxation I can before we leave on Monday. Hope everyone's packing is going good!

See you in Atlanta on Monday afternoon :)

Anyone else staying at the Diagonal Mar? We arrive Wednesday morning. Am hoping to see the Sagrada Familia that afternoon and beyond that just try and get a taste of Barcelona. Will probably hit the beach for a little on Thursday morning before the bus picks us up.

Fabulous day in Madrid, took the HOHO bus earlier, hot and sweaty but great. went in for a 2 hour siesta, so tired from not sleeping much on the plane ride from LAX. Went back out, Tapas, Sangria and another HOHO bus ride to finish out the night. What a great city, boy does this city wake up at night. Still not too dark out at 10 pm, another day and then on to Zaragoza. :cool1::cool1:

Thought I'd share a little something I ran across that I think is really neat (no i don't work for them)

We are in the process of packing (and wife getting nervous cause we don't speak a lot of spanish, french, etc), but ran across the 'Jibbigo" app for smartphones.. color me impressed for a bi-directional/'off-line translator".. might or might not come in handy for ya

Obviously google has one too (Google translate) but it's internet 'on' only

Hi Everyone,
I know this is super late, but we changed our plans for Malta and have been trying to make some final decisions for our day in Valletta. I found this place called Casa Rocca Piccola and it is closed on Sundays. I spoke with them this morning and they will do a private tour on Sunday July 7, at noon if there are 12 paying adults/students. The adult rate is 9 Euro and the student rate is 5 Euro age 14 and up. Children under 14 are free. It is a private residence, so she did say it is designed for adults and students. If anyone is really interested please note on this thread but also send me a PM. Please check out the reviews and website www.casaroccapiccola.com Thank you.

One couple expressed interest in going to casa rocca with us, so that puts us at 6. We only need 6 more. Anyone else? We leave for Barcelona on Monday, so I would need to know by 9:00 a.m. so that I can notify the owner. Thank you.

BTW this is a maximum amount you can write in for a check with a guest services I believe.... If I recall that amount is $100 a day..... Now it might be different on a longer cruise, but I wouldn't want that to be my only way to get cash. Luckily DH works for AMEX, so he got Euro yesterday 1.42, transaction fee waived, rest of cash we'll use ATM's for.... Thought of getting Euro travelers checks and cashing them at guest services, but decided against it.....

I was at guest services when a woman used a check for $300 for currency exchange so that is likely different than just for cash. I will see if I can find out if there is a limit.

Did you bring regular travelers checks or international? We are getting conflicting information on how useful they really are from the banks we are talking to on our end. There is concern that they aren't being accepted. Although, clearly the ship took what you brought. Just wondered if the type made a difference.

We bought regular American e press travelers checks in $ US. Specifically for exchanging for euro on the ship. Any we have leftover we will just apply to our account. Also any euro we have left that we exchanged on the ship for, we will exchange back.

Our room #6504, we might change though, going to see when we get to port if we might get a different room.

So excited, we leave LAX tomorrow for Madrid, touring Spain for a while and we'll see you on board very soon...

The Jne 15th is full. No. Upgrades or changes from what I have heard. Sign at guest services said full full full.

Does anyone have the link to Cindy's blog? Somehow I managed to delete it. Anyone one else on our flight JFK to BCN on Tuesday?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter