June 27, 2013 - Magic in the Med (Venice)

Great packing lists, Val and Sandie! :thumbsup2

What am I going to wish I had done this week when I am in the last day panic next week? :confused3 Besides doing my work instead of yakking on this thread and the Facebook page?!? :lmao:

I know exactly what you mean. I feel like I should be doing something, but for me it just isn't time yet. I feel like I should be packing, but I don't want everything to end up wrinkled from sitting in my suitcase so long. Instead I'm going to be frantically packing on Monday and praying I haven't forgotten anything. At least I have been working on a list.

Great packing lists, Val and Sandie! :thumbsup2

What am I going to wish I had done this week when I am in the last day panic next week? :confused3 Besides doing my work instead of yakking on this thread and the Facebook page?!? :lmao:
You will wish you had gone through all your clothes and picked out your outfits in advance, tried them on, remembered to add extras like slips or belts to your list. Choosing only seven outfits that will work for all excursions took more time than I expected.

I know exactly what you mean. I feel like I should be doing something, but for me it just isn't time yet. I feel like I should be packing, but I don't want everything to end up wrinkled from sitting in my suitcase so long. Instead I'm going to be frantically packing on Monday and praying I haven't forgotten anything. At least I have been working on a list.

It's hard to wait. In my mind I'm already gone . . . ;)

You will wish you had gone through all your clothes and picked out your outfits in advance, tried them on, remembered to add extras like slips or belts to your list. Choosing only seven outfits that will work for all excursions took more time than I expected.

Great tip! :thumbsup2 I've been test driving all my outfits for the past month so I am good to go there. Restricting myself to a European sized carry-on suitcase helped me to pare that packing list down a lot! ::yes::

:lmao: Apparently my debit card already went to italy before us! Just got a call from Chase and my card was used at "Best Union Spa" 4 times today, and processed twice. So My husband says, look up Best Union spa and call them. So I did but it's in Bologna, Italy. Sooooo, needless to say watch you cards gang. I'd rather it be stolen now then when we are there! And now I get a new card (arriving friday). It's better to laugh about it then freak out about it, at least it was caught now....:thumbsup2

It's hard to wait. In my mind I'm already gone . . . ;)

Great tip! :thumbsup2 I've been test driving all my outfits for the past month so I am good to go there. Restricting myself to a European sized carry-on suitcase helped me to pare that packing list down a lot! ::yes::

What is a European sized carry on?

I've at least got the outfits narrowed down. If I didn't do that, I'd be overpacking for sure. I'm sure that will happen either way though. But I think my list is set.

Pretty sure my mind is on a plane right now too. Too bad my body isn't with it yet. LOL!!

I thought I saw this on the board, but I can't locate it through a search. In the FAQ's, Disney suggests bringing travelers checks to exchange for Euros in the ports. I saw some mention of being able to exchange on the ship as well. Our local banks charge $50 to get Euros, even if you have an account. If you don't have an account, they won't help you. We will need Euros for a car/driver we are getting in Florence. Any ideas on the best way to handle? Our layover at JFK is very short.

Thanks for any advice!

:lmao: Apparently my debit card already went to italy before us! Just got a call from Chase and my card was used at "Best Union Spa" 4 times today, and processed twice. So My husband says, look up Best Union spa and call them. So I did but it's in Bologna, Italy. Sooooo, needless to say watch you cards gang. I'd rather it be stolen now then when we are there! And now I get a new card (arriving friday). It's better to laugh about it then freak out about it, at least it was caught now....:thumbsup2
Did you happen to buy tickets to the Colosseum/Forum in Rome? We purchased these tickets and this was the exact charge that came through on our credit card.

Did you happen to buy tickets to the Colosseum/Forum in Rome? We purchased these tickets and this was the exact charge that came through on our credit card.

It wouldn't process on my card. Had to use my husbands. So no I didn't have it charged on my account. Also the person from "chase" wasn't it was a scammer who stole my card number when I tried to process on that ticket site. Long story short, I called chase back to verify they were the ones who called and it wasn't. Sooo.,,, I am getting a new card either way.

I thought I saw this on the board, but I can't locate it through a search. In the FAQ's, Disney suggests bringing travelers checks to exchange for Euros in the ports. I saw some mention of being able to exchange on the ship as well. Our local banks charge $50 to get Euros, even if you have an account. If you don't have an account, they won't help you. We will need Euros for a car/driver we are getting in Florence. Any ideas on the best way to handle? Our layover at JFK is very short.

Thanks for any advice!

We opened an account with Wells Fargo and then they were happy to sell us euros. I expect to close it later, but I will play along.

Here's Rick Steves advice re changing money http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/cash-currency-tips.htm

I am not changing money before I arrive in London, then I'll use my ATM card at a bank to get some pounds to tide me over until we get to Barcelona. I might use the ATM card at the airport in Barcelona to get some Euros, or probably, I'll just exchange my dollars for Euros at Guest Services on board.

Here's why I'm not getting Euros ahead of time, one of the members of the facebook page just paid $1.42 per Euro, the exchange rate is currently about $1.33. I paid for my Sagarda Famialia membership using my Disney Visa last week, Chase handled the transaction at the $1.33 rate + a $1.51 transaction fee.

I've followed Rick Steves for years, he really knows what he is talking about.

Hi Everyone. With a little less than 10 days to go we are only now joining this group. I have not even had time to go through the previous posts in any great way. This will be the family's 5th Disney Cruise (Magic/E. Carib; Wonder/4 Day; Wonder/Alaska; Fantasy/W.Carib). We are traveling with our 10 and 13 years old boys. Last med cruise was 1996. Been to a number of the ports in other ways.

But it is our first time in Rome. Does anyone still have space in a group for four? We are really only interested in the ancient sights, not the Vatican.

We are flying overnight PHL-BCN direct on US Air arriving the morning of the 27th. I know, tight. We will go straight to the port unless someone has a better idea for me. Thanks!

Welcome Bob and Julia. Be sure to come to the meet on Thursday at 3:00 in the Promenade Lounge.

We are staying at the Renaissance in Barcelona.

This is a good hotel. Very comfortable. When you arrive you will likely have to wait for a room,so make sure they securely store your luggage. Be prepared to get anything you would need for the day to go in your day bag that you want to carry around. A few people did get their rooms right away but most of us were after 1:00.

Awesome! We will look for you. Which hotel are you at? We are at the Renaissance.

Also there is a grocery store about three blocks away, turn immediately left when you go out of the hotel and walk down then cross the street. It's mercando (or something like that... Has green letter for the sign, blends right in with the other shops). They have a downstairs where soft drinks and such are.

Sorry to hear about your Mom:sad2:
Hope she is feeling better soon:hug:

This week is our packing and buying last minute essentials :cool1:

I will be looking for you:thumbsup2
Probably wear a Disney and/or shirt:woohoo:

We filled up our Rome tour just a couple weeks ago.
We're using Rome in Limo as so many other cruisers have used them with good results.
They do have private tours for a group of 4 that cost maybe a little more than a DCL excursion but you get the car to yourself.
http://www.romeinlimo.com/rome-civitavecchia/highlights.htm

So close to the sail date that you shouldn't book this unless you are sure you will use them.
I can point you to some trip reports of people who used this company later if you are interested.

What does port load mean :confused3

We used Rome in Limo and it was fabulous. Highly recommend them. We had Mike for our driver. So if you get him, tell him that Cindy, Gary, Nathan and Zach from the last Disney pick up said hello!

We watched an interesting 4 parter on Netflix-- a 2003 PBS series on the Medici, Godfathers of the Renaissance.

I am sure that it was an oversimplification of the events, but was interesting to see how one family could have such an impact on a couple of hundred years of history.

60 Minutes had a piece a week or two ago on Sagrada Familia. If you google it you will find it along with a construction zone tour that they did....

If you haven't already bought tix for Sagrada and plan to visit, see if you can get em online still. The line is quite long. It is nice and cool inside.

Thanks for any advice!

We brought travelers checks to exchange onboard. Very easy to do and then if you have leftovers, you can exchange back. The rate this week was $1.35 per Euro.

We prepurchased euro thruAAA / TravelEx before we left at $1.37. Then I replaced what we spent in BCN via an ATM that was at $1.40. Then the ship was $1.35. Exchange on the ship is at guest services. You can also cash a personal check for Euro at the same rate... Not sure if there is a limit, but they call some check clearinghouse thing with your account number and amount you are writing the check for to get pre approval. Hope this helps with your planning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter