June 27, 2013 - Magic in the Med (Venice)

What is the secret itinerary tour?

Unfortunately they are sold out for July 4th so I guess we grabbed all the tickets.

:thumbsup2
That link would be great for the first page Cindy.
I don't want to create more work for you, but with this trip requiring so much planning I was thinking of starting to add links to my first post on the first page just to have a place for an easy reference point:confused3
Even if there is some overlap with links maybe those of us with posts on the first page can share the links we have found to be helpful:confused3

I added the link for the Bus Turistic. I've been stashing links in my blog posts, too, so I can find them again. One thing I like about the Bus Turistic is that you can see what sorts of things there are to do in Barcelona for the limited time we are there and you can "check them off" online and it will make a document for you with what's at which stop and which colored route to take. I went through and marked the ones I have any interest in seeing; DH will do the same in the next few days, and then I'll see where we overlap and that will be our "short list." We know we can't see everything and we know there are some things only I will be interested in. Then from the short list, we'll see what we think the kids will find interesting, check any admission fees, length of time at each space, etc., and then have a better-than-loose plan. We will be touring for the first afternoon and then the next day we will build our touring around the La Sagrada Familia tickets we already have for 11:00 AM. We also have a day in BCN post-cruise so anything that is within easy walking distance of the hotel, we'll save for then. We do want to find a market to get some food and drinks for the hotel for breakfast and snacks, etc.

I just updated ours to no. It sounds like a great time, and I hope to be able to do it on one of our next dcl cruises, but I just don't think it will work with this one. Hope all of you have fun with it

Thanks for the tip to pre-book your tickets for the tour bus in Barcelona..gotta add that to my list! I have to thank all of your for so many great tips (both on here and fb) between the tour bus tickets, my new pacsafe bag, and the secret itineraries tour (belles mommy...we are on the 11:15ish?? one) our trip is coming together nicely.
:cool1:

The FE's are really lots of fun, but it is something extra to pack and take care of.

I have to echo the thanks for the great tips - it makes planning and preparing more fun when you have someone(s) to do it with!

I have a DCL tote that is red and black with a long strap. I can lengthen it the whole way and wear if over my head and shoulder, diagonally across my back and with the bag in front. The items I plan to take fit with plenty of space to let the top fold down and I can rest my hand on it all the time. That leaves the other hand free to hold DH's hand so we cannot be distracted and separated--seems like it's that "divide and conquer" system that works for the pick pockets.

We have that same DCL tote - love it - I use it all the time - it's roomy, too - we try to not take much off the ship and then end up filling it with the water bottles they invariably give you on the excursions and the souvenirs and such we buy - or someone's sunglasses or ipod or cap they decided they didn't want to wear any more. It does get heavier as the day goes on but I like the functionality of it. And I like that it has some outside mesh pockets because I will put stuff in it like my hairband or hand sanitizer or stuff that we might want easy access to that doesn't matter if we lose it. I keep my magnetic sunglass clippy thing there too. The fewer times I have to fumble around in the bag, the better off we are.

Good Morning Everyone!

We are on this cruise having booked it a few weeks ago. I have a lot of catch up to do so any suggetions are welcomed. How do I become a friend on the facebook page? I sent a request but have not had a response.

Crusing will be me, my DH and DS (10).

Thanks.

Welcome - give it a little time for the FB add but let us know if it doesn't come through by tonight. I'll add you to the list on the first thread - there are links to the group spreadsheets and still time to sign up for Fish Extenders if you want to participate (closes on Friday). I see you added yourself already :)

No one minds if you just ask whatever questions you have even if they've been addressed before - at this point, there's so much to read through that it might be easier to just ask for stuff you want to know :)

Welcome - give it a little time for the FB add but let us know if it doesn't come through by tonight. I'll add you to the list on the first thread - there are links to the group spreadsheets and still time to sign up for Fish Extenders if you want to participate (closes on Friday). I see you added yourself already :)

No one minds if you just ask whatever questions you have even if they've been addressed before - at this point, there's so much to read through that it might be easier to just ask for stuff you want to know :)

Just to let you and everyone else know that to be added to the FB page, I need a PM with your name, so I know who you are. Until I get that, I will not add anyone to the FB page.

It seems that I have to post 10 times before I can send a PM. Really?

Yeah. Rules for the Disboards.
Just write a sentence or 2 per post to get there.
You can tell us a little bit about yourself and your trip plans:cool1:

What is the port you are most excited about?
Stuff like that:goodvibes

Yeah. Rules for the Disboards.
Just write a sentence or 2 per post to get there.
You can tell us a little bit about yourself and your trip plans:cool1:

What is the port you are most excited about?
Stuff like that:goodvibes

Or just post "posting posting posting" to get your count up :) But we'd rather get to know you :) I see your from JAX area - DH wants to know if you're a Gator fan.

Lisa also has two Nucleus 5s. The left side was implanted in 2006 when she was 20 months old and the right in 2007 just before her 3rd birthday. Unfortunately, she was born with common cavities and no cochlear matter so the implants have provided very minimal benefit. She has sound detection but no discrimination. We still make her wear the processors so if and alarm goes off or something loud happens around her she will at least know to look. She is becoming quite fluent in ASL.

I started losing my hearing in high school, eventually went through various levels of hearing aides and now just have residual hearing without my processor. I can hear my dog bark and other loud noises.

I took a class in ASL in college but like most things you forget it if you don't use it:confused3
I noticed a lot of people at the Cochlear Conference with specially trained dogs that help them with their hearing loss. Really great for people that don't have allergy problems.
I already have a dog and she gets jealous of our cats or I would look into getting one.

Get a PacSafe backpack, very light, they can lock with a lock, and they cannot be cut.
I was thinking of that...except for 2 things, their bags are not inexpensive and I have tons of bags already at home. DH is constantly commenting every time I get a new bag :rotfl:
However, I do need a carryon bag for my cochlear processor supplies and my trip would be ruined if someone managed to steal those so I might just bite the bullet and pay the money anyway:confused3

Thanks for the tip to pre-book your tickets for the tour bus in Barcelona..gotta add that to my list! I have to thank all of your for so many great tips (both on here and fb) between the tour bus tickets, my new pacsafe bag, and the secret itineraries tour (belles mommy...we are on the 11:15ish?? one) our trip is coming together nicely.
:cool1:
Ditto:thumbsup2
Love this board for all the help and advice:grouphug:

I have two elastic waist long skirts I plan to bring. I will stuff them in my bag with water bottle, etc and when I want to go in a church I will pull it on over my head. Probably wait until we are back on a bus to take it off if I cannot find a private place :thumbsup2

A wrap around skirt is a GOOD IDEA ::yes:: and would not be hard to sew. I bet there are patterns available.
:idea: That also makes me wonder if a swim wrap would be allowed. (assuming it does not gap on the side like mine does :rotfl:--did not lose my weight either :sad2:)

I have a DCL tote that is red and black with a long strap. I can lengthen it the whole way and wear if over my head and shoulder, diagonally across my back and with the bag in front. The items I plan to take fit with plenty of space to let the top fold down and I can rest my hand on it all the time. That leaves the other hand free to hold DH's hand so we cannot be distracted and separated--seems like it's that "divide and conquer" system that works for the pick pockets.

Good idea on the skirts:thumbsup2
We take the DCL totes into ports all the time too:thumbsup2

I was thinking of that...except for 2 things, their bags are not inexpensive and I have tons of bags already at home. DH is constantly commenting every time I get a new bag :rotfl:
However, I do need a carryon bag for my cochlear processor supplies and my trip would be ruined if someone managed to steal those so I might just bite the bullet and pay the money anyway:confused3

Check on ebay. We got one of ours for $69.

Morning all!

I find myself worried about all the talk of pick pockets. However, that being said, we when did our Europe trip in 2010, we did 5 weeks abroad. 2 weeks taking the train around Germany, Switzerland, Paris and London, then 3 weeks on the Magic, we did the last Baltic and then the repo back down to Barcelona.

I read all the alerts on the boards and bought the Pacsafe lanyard type things for all of us (didn't use, too cumbersome), I bought several of their slashproof backpacks (one of my kids and I brought our laptops) and a few of the cross shoulder bags. So I felt we were very prepared, but once we got out and about, I didn't think twice about pick pockets and we never had a problem. I certainly didn't spend my whole time stressing about it! :banana::banana: I just took what precautions I could and then enjoyed.

That brings me to the mind of a pick pocket, they would see 7 of us wandering around looking lost, but 3 of them are 6' tall guys, the boys looking pretty scraggly (one won't shave while we are on vacation, the other may or may not), we are laughing and giggling alot and the only one with a bag is the crazy mom :hippie: who has a bag overflowing with what looks like food she "borrowed" from the buffet that morning and raincoats and sweaters. Why on earth would they bother us :rotfl2::rotfl:

Anyway, that is my hope! Seriously though, we try to be very smart and if they take my bag, they will get some food and clothes, that's it. All the rest of our important stuff is safely hidden under my clothes.

But I really don't want anyone worrying about getting robbed, I think those money belts that you can wear flat on your skin for all your important stuff is a smart way to go, and anything you put in a bag, should be easily replaceable. I always walk in front of the group with my kids keeping a watchful eye on me (or so I like to believe). Actually, now that I think of it, neither of my boys would hurt a fly, but I would not envy the person that would try to take on either of my teen aged daughters! It would be ugly for that person.:lmao: And I'm not kidding!:lmao:

My family is SO easily distracted, we are a pickpocket's favorite target :rolleyes:
I am trying to break myself of the habit of putting my handbag by my chair at a restaurant and I am hoping my little pacsafe bag (that I can easily wear) will make that easier so I can relax and enjoy my trip :goodvibes

I agree that the bags we take into ports on excursions will only have easily replaceable items:thumbsup2
One way I deal with the anxiety of missing the ship (beside making sure we are back with plenty of time to spare) is to take our passports into port with us. In the Baltic we carried them under our shirts in silk pouches which works fine for some shirts but not so well for any that are not loose.
Money belts are great also:thumbsup2
So I think just taking some precautions in advance and making sure you are not an easy target goes a long way in ensuring your trip isn't troubled by theft :goodvibes

Disclaimer....I don't want to start a debate about the merits or drawbacks of bringing your passports with you into port. Everyone has to do what is best for them and for us that means bringing them with us in a secure manner.

Good Morning Everyone!

We are on this cruise having booked it a few weeks ago. I have a lot of catch up to do so any suggetions are welcomed. How do I become a friend on the facebook page? I sent a request but have not had a response.

Crusing will be me, my DH and DS (10).

Thanks.

I forgot to say this before :rotfl:

:welcome: Welcome Aboard :welcome:

My DH is a Gator fan but I am a fan of the real college football team in FL the Noles!

We are most excited about Venice. We have been to some of the other Med ports before and loved them.

It's our first DiS cruise but living in FL we have been to WDW more times then I can remember.

All of our preferred excursions in Venice are already booked so I need some suggestions. Private tour guide or on our own?

We will skip the Vatican this trip and find some other things that were not previously done on our last trip in 2008.

I added the link for the Bus Turistic. I've been stashing links in my blog posts, too, so I can find them again. One thing I like about the Bus Turistic is that you can see what sorts of things there are to do in Barcelona for the limited time we are there and you can "check them off" online and it will make a document for you with what's at which stop and which colored route to take. I went through and marked the ones I have any interest in seeing; DH will do the same in the next few days, and then I'll see where we overlap and that will be our "short list." We know we can't see everything and we know there are some things only I will be interested in. Then from the short list, we'll see what we think the kids will find interesting, check any admission fees, length of time at each space, etc., and then have a better-than-loose plan. We will be touring for the first afternoon and then the next day we will build our touring around the La Sagrada Familia tickets we already have for 11:00 AM. We also have a day in BCN post-cruise so anything that is within easy walking distance of the hotel, we'll save for then. We do want to find a market to get some food and drinks for the hotel for breakfast and snacks, etc.

:thumbsup2
I am thinking we will mostly interested in visiting Gaudi's park and buildings in the 2 days we are there.
Toying with the idea of booking one of those runner bean tours either the first day or the second:confused3
Looking forward to seeing Sagrada Familia (I think our tickets are a little earlier than yours).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter