• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

June 27, 2013 - Magic in the Med (Venice)

Finally updated my signature with the new countdown clock:cool1:

getting really excited now
:dance3:

can't find the dancing banana though:confused3

I was thinking about doing a live-ish trip report and had asked about how others do it - someone pointed me to www.everlater.com which seems like a good site to use. They have an iPad app that you can update your trip while offline and then upload later on - I haven't checked out the app yet but I did set up our trip, so I'll be playing around with it later. I want to see how easy it is to upload photos and information, etc. You can make it public or private with a password - I'm making ours private and then will share the link and password with the folks who would be interested in following along.

Anyway, thought I would pass it along.

Speaking of apps, do any of you have favorite trip packing apps or other travel-related apps?

I was thinking about doing a live-ish trip report and had asked about how others do it - someone pointed me to www.everlater.com which seems like a good site to use. They have an iPad app that you can update your trip while offline and then upload later on - I haven't checked out the app yet but I did set up our trip, so I'll be playing around with it later. I want to see how easy it is to upload photos and information, etc. You can make it public or private with a password - I'm making ours private and then will share the link and password with the folks who would be interested in following along.

Anyway, thought I would pass it along.

Speaking of apps, do any of you have favorite trip packing apps or other travel-related apps?

My trip reports usually consist of me posting pics and comments to facebook :blush:
Maybe this time I'll be a little more disciplined:rolleyes1
There is a website called tripit that is supposed to help with trip planning:confused3
I am registered there but never got around to using it..

Glad the dancing banana is back:banana:

I'm good with trying to get a group brunch together but we need 12-14 people. There is a tea but I was not impressed. Brunch is my favorite and then dinner. I am going to try and get both and then I can cancel dinner if I decide not to do it.
Do we have a group brunch planned? I'd love to come...it's so fun!

Do we have a group brunch planned? I'd love to come...it's so fun!

You are the only one that has shown any interest so at this time no. We have to have 12 - 14 people to get the room. If there is more interest I will try and get the room.

Went ahead and got started on Fish extender gifts as I found what I needed for a good one:cool1:

I won't be able to do a large group, but if the group size stays under 45 I am good to go:goodvibes

Are people still interested in doing Fish Extenders:confused3

Went ahead and got started on Fish extender gifts as I found what I needed for a good one:cool1:

I won't be able to do a large group, but if the group size stays under 45 I am good to go:goodvibes

Are people still interested in doing Fish Extenders:confused3

We are doing it!

We are still interested in Fish Extenders, too. On the Roll Call form / spreadsheet, there is a place to indicate if you're interested in participating in the Fish Extenders. The link for the roll call form is in the first post of this thread.

Do we have someone who wants to coordinate the list of FE participants? Also, we'll need to set a "sign up by " date (probably early-mid April) to give everyone who wants to participate plenty of time to get their stuff sorted out. Any volunteer(s)? If you've not coordinated before, it is basically just getting together a list of who wants to participate, their cabin number, and how many adults/kids (ages of kids, boys, girls) for each cabin. While many participants do just one thing per family/cabin, others like to do things based on the ages and genders of the children, etc. so having that information available helps out.

If you are worried about pick pockets than you can purchase a "Pacsafe" (trademark) shoulder bag (all different types) that are slash proof as well as stainless steel re-inforced strps. They were just on sale on E-bay and I picked up a nice one to fir my I-pad.We have been in Barcelona a number of times and if you are aware of your surroundings as well as keep a good distance from crowded areas than it should be fine. One of the favorites of the thiefs are to snach the handbags hanging over a seat while dining. We were at the Familia cathedral and one lady was pickpocketed while another tried to sell her a flower. Lucky someone in the crowd grabbed the thief and she got her items back.

Agreed, would not go anywhere without my pac safe bag. It's been to Europe, Mexico and the Islands. Enough area's to keep thing organized and enough safety features to discourage the dishonest.

Not sure if you all saw this on the main DIS page so I am repeating it here..

The drinking age aboard ship is 21. Valid photo I.D. is required. Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to refuse sale and/or service to anyone.

In recognition of the expectations of our multi-national guests, for roundtrip cruises departing from European countries, where the legal drinking age is lower than 21, a parent or guardian who is sailing with his or her son(s) and/or daughter(s) and/or ward(s) who is between the ages of 18 and 20, may sign a beverage waiver allowing the 18 to 20 year old to consume alcoholic beverages while onboard. Parents or guardians may complete the beverage waiver in the Guest Ticket Booklet or inquire about the waivers upon check-in. Please note: The 18 to 20 year old must comply with all laws and Disney Cruise Line policies related to the consumption and distribution of alcohol in Europe, including among other things, agreeing to not provide alcoholic beverages to any other person, regardless of age. This policy is subject to change without notice."

I didn't know they allowed this on the Med cruises. I plan to sign the waiver for my DS19 as I trust he can handle it no problem.

Interesting. This was not an option the last time we cruised, so when we were off the ship the local rules applied (which I believe is 16 in some countries) Mom was always there to supervise. My kids developed a taste for real Sangria that has lasted to this day. On ship it was 21. This option would have made my life alot easier the double standard was tough.

Does anyone know how this works? Does the ship stay open all night or do we have a curfew? Venice is THE big draw for me for this cruise and I want to spend every minute possible exploring. Besides Rick Steve's says Venice at night after the crowds are gone is magical.

Does anyone know how this works? Does the ship stay open all night or do we have a curfew? Venice is THE big draw for me for this cruise and I want to spend every minute possible exploring. Besides Rick Steve's says Venice at night after the crowds are gone is magical.

We did an overnight in St. Petersburg and there was no curfew (even though there were some restrictions just about being in Russia) but for Venice, I believe you can stay out all night if you want! Just be back onboard the next day in time to leave. I haven't checked sunset times yet - hold on - I'll go do that.

Ok, here is the link for sunset : http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=257 and it looks like sunset in July will be 9 p.m.

We are still interested in Fish Extenders, too. On the Roll Call form / spreadsheet, there is a place to indicate if you're interested in participating in the Fish Extenders. The link for the roll call form is in the first post of this thread.

Do we have someone who wants to coordinate the list of FE participants? Also, we'll need to set a "sign up by " date (probably early-mid April) to give everyone who wants to participate plenty of time to get their stuff sorted out. Any volunteer(s)? If you've not coordinated before, it is basically just getting together a list of who wants to participate, their cabin number, and how many adults/kids (ages of kids, boys, girls) for each cabin. While many participants do just one thing per family/cabin, others like to do things based on the ages and genders of the children, etc. so having that information available helps out.
I am terrible with spreadsheets or I would volunteer for this :blush:
Even if my kids helped me with the spreadsheet I swore I would not join another FE exchange that had a big group as it is just too time consuming to deliver to more than 50 cabins...
So, if the number stays low (under 50) I'll bite the bullet and organize this. If it gets over 50 someone else will have to take over.

Interesting. This was not an option the last time we cruised, so when we were off the ship the local rules applied (which I believe is 16 in some countries) Mom was always there to supervise. My kids developed a taste for real Sangria that has lasted to this day. On ship it was 21. This option would have made my life alot easier the double standard was tough.
While I knew my DS could try a drink in certain ports as he is 19 I was surprised DCL allowed an alternate drinking policy for the Med :confused3
It is not definite they will allow this on our cruise, but I do like the option of being there when he tries some wine or lemoncello. And I'm also looking forward to the sangria as well.
My DS does not have any patience for other college kids that drink to get drunk. Not his thing. One good thing about his gaming...

Venice is what drew me in too:thumbsup2
I have heard and seen pictures where it can get very crowded in the touristy spots like St Mark's Square so we plan to avoid them until less peak times..

Gotta laugh. I had Darren (my DH) call a restaurant in Venice for dinner reservations for the first night as the restaurant is very small. Darren said the guy who answered the phone barely spoke English and was shocked how far in advance we wanted our reservation..."JULY??!!":rotfl2:
So we're gonna call back in June:rolleyes1

We did an overnight in St. Petersburg and there was no curfew (even though there were some restrictions just about being in Russia) but for Venice, I believe you can stay out all night if you want! Just be back onboard the next day in time to leave. I haven't checked sunset times yet - hold on - I'll go do that.

Ok, here is the link for sunset : http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=257 and it looks like sunset in July will be 9 p.m.

Thanks Cindy:thumbsup2
The thing that bummed me about St Petersburg was that we were restricted to a tour group if we wanted to get off the ship due to the visa requirements:headache:
So glad we won't have that problem in Venice:goodvibes
I can see sending my family back to the ship so I can go shopping :cool2:

Last time we were in Venice was on St. Mark's Day (the biggest day in Venice) and it was crowded but not so unbelievable. Years ago I had found a Michelin starred resturaunt in Venice and I wrote a letter to ask for a reservation in Italian, or English/ Italian and got one. When we showed up we were treated like rock stars. We were given the best seat in the house. Our daughter did not like what was on the menu so the chef made her up some pasta. Great meal. I suggest try writing with a return envelope post paid and it worked for us.

Last time we were in Venice was on St. Mark's Day (the biggest day in Venice) and it was crowded but not so unbelievable. Years ago I had found a Michelin starred resturaunt in Venice and I wrote a letter to ask for a reservation in Italian, or English/ Italian and got one. When we showed up we were treated like rock stars. We were given the best seat in the house. Our daughter did not like what was on the menu so the chef made her up some pasta. Great meal. I suggest try writing with a return envelope post paid and it worked for us.

I was looking at someone's trip report where their cruise started in Venice and their pics showed how crowded certain spots were. Good to know the whole area isn't that bad.

A Michelin star restaurant in Venice sounds amazing:cloud9:
The restaurant we were looking at is not as upscale and very casual. They didn't refuse to take our reservation just sounded shocked we would want one so far in advance. Plus I think my DH is having second thoughts as the place doesn't serve seafood. We are still negotiating ...

We did this in 2010. It was awesome. I highly recommend it. Make advance reservation!!!!

I am thinking of doing the all day tour. Do you just follow the instructions the car gives you or do you tell them to program the car to go where you want? Does it allow for time to go inside of things? if it rains can you change your booking to the next day? Can't seem to get an answer from the company.

I am thinking of doing the all day tour. Do you just follow the instructions the car gives you or do you tell them to program the car to go where you want? Does it allow for time to go inside of things? if it rains can you change your booking to the next day? Can't seem to get an answer from the company.

All day is VERY long!!! We did 4 hrs and were exhausted!!!!! You just follow the instructions. You don't have to tell them which ones you want to do. As for rain, I have no idea as it didn't rain the day we did it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter