• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

June 27, 2013 - Magic in the Med (Venice)

I took some time to look over the excursions offered by DCL for the ports they have available to get an idea of what we will book through DCL. Here's what I think we're going to do for this trip:

Villefrance - on our own (but on the previous sailing, we will do Monaco, Monte Carlo, and Eze)

La Spezia - Florence & Michelangelo. This one has the David as part of it which I want to see. We can't do this on the previous sailing because it's closed the day we'd be there.

Civitavecchia - Bracciano and Wine Tasting. And for this one, we'll probably let the teens have a day onboard the ship without us, especially since we'll have full-dayed it in Florence the day before and will have an early day in Naples the following. On the previous sailing, we're using Rome in Limo for a full day in Rome, so we want to see some of the countryside and this seems to be a good fit for us. Did you all look at the prices for the Private Vehicle/Driver/Guide that DCL is offering? We are definitely getting a good price going through Rome in Limo - a fair price for sure - but after seeing DCL prices, that confirms for me that we are getting a fair price.

Naples - Pompeii Half Day. The boys want to go back to Pompeii as they've been studying it in Latin I, but they've asked to not do anything else with it. So this will be a good half-day and then they can get back on the ship while DH and I either go to the National Museum of Archaeology or just pop into town to get some pizza - that's the one thing I for sure want to do while in Naples! I guess it will depend on what time we get back from the excursion as to what we'll have time to do on our own.

Venice and Dubrovnik - we'll have to wait and see. A friend told me that they booked an amazing kayak trip right after they got off the ship in Dubrovnik when they were there two years ago. We are not the action/adventure type so we'll probably do something on our own there as we'll probably spend our excursion money in Venice!

Malta - we'll do this one on our own as it will be the end of the two cruises. But for the first sailing we are looking at booking the Malta by Private Vehicle Van with Driver and Guide for 4 hours. The price is fair-enough when you per-person it and then we can see and do what we want to while there - get a good overview of what's around - and then when we come back on this itinerary, we'll know what we want to do or not do. The prices for these are much more reasonable than in the other ports.

Anyone else getting anxious for Venice and Dubrovnik to be listed?

Really jealous of your back to back cruises:thumbsup2
I will be glued to the computer if you get a chance to post and let us know how things are going on your first cruise:goodvibes

Also using Rome in Limo:thumbsup2 for Rome, Pisa, Florence and Naples:woohoo:
Looking at maybe booking a private company for Malta (already have tickets for the Hypogeum).
And, ... after viewing pics of my DMiL's trip to Croatia, I am thinking of skipping walking the walls in Dubrovnik :confused: Her photos made it look SO boring, at least to me:confused3 Plus time consuming and hot :headache:
I think I'll let the DH and the kids walk the wall and just go shopping myself:cloud9:

Double AACK!

We have at least starting looking at Villefranche....

I think we will do this one on our own. I didn't really see anything on the excursion list I couldn't live without.

We are going to take the train from VF to Nice, only 7 min ride and only 1.6 euro each way pp.

You have all probably seen this, but I found it helpful to visualize where the train station is in Villefranche:

http://www.carols-cruise-port-itineraries.com/FRANCE-Villefranche2.htm

I don't have the port totally planned but I think I have an idea of what we want the day to feel like-- a leisurely stroll thru the old town. A step in the right direction!
Sounds like what we are planning for Villefranche as well:thumbsup2
Thanks for the links, they really help for us first timers:goodvibes
With so much planned for the other ports I was thinking Villefranche needed to be low key and easy for us too.

I have been wondering about the clothing end of things....

We are on early seating and it seems like a lot of excursions will get back with little, if any, time to get cleaned up and changed for dinner.

We took the Magic out of Galveston the first part of December. On Costa Maya day we took the excursion to the Mayan ruins that got back just as dinner started. We were encouraged to go straight to dinner, as is.

For those who have done the Med, was that the case for you as well?

That would save a bit of luggage space if we don't need to pack clothes for dinner.....

(I just checked and we only get 50# per suitcase instead of the 70# we are used to!!!)
We haven't done the Med yet, but here's what has worked for me in the past for other cruises:confused3
I usually bring a pair of black dress slacks and 1 or 2 skirts (neutral colored) for dinner and vary the tops. For this trip I plan to bring more skirts as they are cooler anyway and can go directly from port to dinner. Tide stain stick also helps keep the trips to the laundry room down to a minimum.
Depending on how much walking we do in the heat (sweating), I will most likely change the top before dinner. We have late dining so not as likely to be rushed for dinner.

I also bring a black dress for Palo which I rewear in the main dining room on another night. And planning on bringing a formal dress and renting tuxes for the guys (hoping for a good photo).

I am not the type that cares what my fellow cruisers are wearing to dinner, but having cruised with others who care a great deal I try to meet the suggested dress...but we have on occasion thrown that out the window and come to the dining room in shorts:rolleyes1 (and shirts and shoes FTR).
I thought one fellow Diser was going to keel over in shock, but most of them didn't seem to care and our servers were happy we came:)

I hate having to type euro out-- I am basically lazy :)

So here is how you can create the euro symbol--(on PCs, not sure of Macs)

There are three methods, but only one will work on disboards.

1. this is the one that is probably longer than typing euro out, but the only one that I can make work on Disboards. Hold down the alt button and then type the numbers 0128. and Voila! €

This is usually written as Alt + 0128

2. Easier. Hold down control, alt, and E or Alt+Ctl+ E

3. Or Hold down control, alt, and 4 aka Ctl + Alt + 4

This all worked in Word for me, but YMMV depending on what service packs are installed on your computer.

Cool:thumbsup2
I wondered how to get the €

I do know I want to see Gaudi's Sagrada Familia, park and other buildings up close too. Not sure if we should just go it alone or try to hire someone to drive us around:confused3

We are planning to go to the Sagrada Familia one day - you can buy tickets ahead of time to book your window. We are planning to use the HOHO bus for our site-seeing - we used it in 2007 for the 3 hours we had to see anything - so we mostly rode the bus around for an overview - this time we know what places we'll want to get off and actually go into / do things at. I'm really glad we have the chance to get back to Barcelona - that's one thing we learned from the first Med trip - to allow some extra time pre-cruise in the departure city or else you end up missing out on one of the ports! So for both London and Vancouver, we went a few days early to give time to recover from traveling and still be able to see the cities. When we make our stop between cruises in Barcelona, we are not planning to disembark unless they make us (which I don't think they do).

Sounds like what we are planning for Villefranche as well:thumbsup2
Thanks for the links, they really help for us first timers:goodvibes
With so much planned for the other ports I was thinking Villefranche needed to be low key and easy for us too.

Villefranche was near the end of our Med trip in 2007 and we were so surprised at how much we loved it there - it was beautiful - the most picturesque of all the ports we had been to. If you go into Nice, make sure to spend some time in the market area. And if you get a chance to go up to the fort (I forget what it's called), it's a beautiful scenic spot to see all those red rooftops and the water is sparklingly beautiful. We didn't realize that the beaches there were mostly stones rather than sand :) Walk down the Promenade, too. Avert your eyes if topless sunbathers aren't your thing.

We are planning to go to the Sagrada Familia one day - you can buy tickets ahead of time to book your window. We are planning to use the HOHO bus for our site-seeing - we used it in 2007 for the 3 hours we had to see anything - so we mostly rode the bus around for an overview - this time we know what places we'll want to get off and actually go into / do things at. I'm really glad we have the chance to get back to Barcelona - that's one thing we learned from the first Med trip - to allow some extra time pre-cruise in the departure city or else you end up missing out on one of the ports! So for both London and Vancouver, we went a few days early to give time to recover from traveling and still be able to see the cities. When we make our stop between cruises in Barcelona, we are not planning to disembark unless they make us (which I don't think they do).

Sagrada Familia is pretty much the only thing I have to see while we're in Barcelona. We were supposed to see it when we were on the WBTA in '07. We did the full day Monserrat excursion and were supposed to see it in the afternoon. However, a guest on our bus ended up missing the bus out of Monserrat. Instead of just leaving (like they would have done) we ended up sitting there waiting until it was so late that we had just enough to get back to the ship before it left port that night. I wouldn't have been so irritated if we had just waited a few minutes (15-30). Instead we waited there over an hour and missed Sagrada Familia.

Sagrada Familia is pretty much the only thing I have to see while we're in Barcelona. We were supposed to see it when we were on the WBTA in '07. We did the full day Monserrat excursion and were supposed to see it in the afternoon. However, a guest on our bus ended up missing the bus out of Monserrat. Instead of just leaving (like they would have done) we ended up sitting there waiting until it was so late that we had just enough to get back to the ship before it left port that night. I wouldn't have been so irritated if we had just waited a few minutes (15-30). Instead we waited there over an hour and missed Sagrada Familia.

I would've been mad, too. How did they miss the bus? Had y'all already left and had to go back? We were nearly late coming back from Pisa because a lady was in the bathroom and didn't get on our tram back to the bus - the tour operator miscounted because we'd had some non-guests try to get on the tram, too, and he didn't recount us. Thankfully the DCL rep that was with us also counted and halted us before we went too far - we had to wait for them to go back and get her. We were on the last tender back to the ship that day - they held it for us - and lucky for some other guests who were on their own that day, they were able to crowd onto our tender and not get left in La Spezia.

I would've been mad, too. How did they miss the bus? Had y'all already left and had to go back? We were nearly late coming back from Pisa because a lady was in the bathroom and didn't get on our tram back to the bus - the tour operator miscounted because we'd had some non-guests try to get on the tram, too, and he didn't recount us. Thankfully the DCL rep that was with us also counted and halted us before we went too far - we had to wait for them to go back and get her. We were on the last tender back to the ship that day - they held it for us - and lucky for some other guests who were on their own that day, they were able to crowd onto our tender and not get left in La Spezia.

If I remember correctly we took an incline train to get to Monserrat. There was another at Monserrat that took you higher up and had really good views. It was a really cloudy/foggy day so the guides didn't recommend taking the other train. Plus with the amount of free time we were given it would be tight getting back on time. This guest went and did it anyway. Then realizing they probably missed the bus, took a taxi back to the port w/o checking to see if the bus was still around. So by the time we had waited and finally found out he was already back at the ship we had just enough time to go back to the boat. Our bus was pretty much the last guests back on board that night.

rotary2808 said:
If I remember correctly we took an incline train to get to Monserrat. There was another at Monserrat that took you higher up and had really good views. It was a really cloudy/foggy day so the guides didn't recommend taking the other train. Plus with the amount of free time we were given it would be tight getting back on time. This guest went and did it anyway. Then realizing they probably missed the bus, took a taxi back to the port w/o checking to see if the bus was still around. So by the time we had waited and finally found out he was already back at the ship we had just enough time to go back to the boat. Our bus was pretty much the last guests back on board that night.

Oh gggrrrrrrr....

First timer here going to the Med. And only our 4th DCL cruise. I'm really glad I found this Forum, my eyes are about to fall out of my head with all the reading I'm doing here.
My hubby is in delicate health now, yet we are going to be brave and get a bucket list done...and feel comfy doing that with Disney.
Is Spain in June hot and summery like my home area of Michigan? The 50# weight limit isn't bothering me too much. We've done the tuxedo/formal nights before, I love 'em...this time hubby doesn't want to fuss as much. I guess he did me a great thing when we renewed our 25th wedding vows with DCL, with a renewal package. I went crazy on that one!!

Hi Cindy,

We are still going on the cruise, but DD and DS aren't. Instead, we taking my DSIL, DNIL and DBIL. We are still excited, and beginning to be able to focus on this trip now that the holidays are over.

I was wondering where you saw what the Disney excursions were...I have been on the web site and can't see any.

Thanks for all your help on this thread. :goodvibes

Meg

Hi Cindy,

We are still going on the cruise, but DD and DS aren't. Instead, we taking my DSIL, DNIL and DBIL. We are still excited, and beginning to be able to focus on this trip now that the holidays are over.

I was wondering where you saw what the Disney excursions were...I have been on the web site and can't see any.

Thanks for all your help on this thread. :goodvibes

Meg

On the DCL site near the top of the page is Cruises and Destinations. That is where the port adventures are located. Not all of our ports are there yet.

First timer here going to the Med. And only our 4th DCL cruise. I'm really glad I found this Forum, my eyes are about to fall out of my head with all the reading I'm doing here.
My hubby is in delicate health now, yet we are going to be brave and get a bucket list done...and feel comfy doing that with Disney.
Is Spain in June hot and summery like my home area of Michigan? The 50# weight limit isn't bothering me too much. We've done the tuxedo/formal nights before, I love 'em...this time hubby doesn't want to fuss as much. I guess he did me a great thing when we renewed our 25th wedding vows with DCL, with a renewal package. I went crazy on that one!!

Hope your husbands health improves. Spain is quite comfortable at the end of June. Not too humid but warm in the high 70's and mid 80's. We have traveled a few times and it is perfect weather for touring in shorts and a tailored shirt. We bring a rain poncho just for a pop up shower that comes someTimes. I find it is easier to rent a tux that way you don't have to take iT with you. Plus don't forget your washer detergent slips to do a laundry inboard. It helps with the weight limit if you do laundry. Welcome to the group.:wizard:

Oh gggrrrrrrr....

Definitely frustrating when it comes down to someone not listening to instructions. Even worse is guest services did nothing to reimburse us for missing half of our tour. And we weren't the only ones complaining.

Welcome Andrea! My DH doesn't do the whole tux (or even like the suit/tie thing) so we are opting out of formal nights. In a way it's good because it gives us an excuse to dine somewhere different - we usually go up to Topsiders and have a quiet dinner since nearly everyone else goes to formal night :) If you want to have a quiet, romantic dinner without a lot of fuss and such, Topsiders on a menued night (vs the buffet nights) is a great option. It's quiet, you can sit at a table by yourselves, there's table service and all the trappings with the napkins in your lap, etc. And beautiful views from the windows.

Has anybody heard anything about Toursbylocals.com

I have been checking out their website mostly for Villefranche and Malta, and it does seem like an interesting option.

What are your plans for those two ports?

Looks like we are going to cancel this cruise. I'm disappointed but we know you will have a great time. We did the Baltics and had a blast. DH hurt his back trying to trim down a tree from Hurricane Sandy and he is still not up to par. A long flight plus a port intensive cruise will not work for him. Have fun everyone.
Michele

Looks like we are going to cancel this cruise. I'm disappointed but we know you will have a great time. We did the Baltics and had a blast. DH hurt his back trying to trim down a tree from Hurricane Sandy and he is still not up to par. A long flight plus a port intensive cruise will not work for him. Have fun everyone.
Michele

Michele - I hope your DH heals real soon - I'm sorry you all are having to cancel but hopefully he'll feel well enough to do something else amazingly fun this summer! Are you going to just transfer your booking to another itinerary?

This is also why I fuss at DH when he wants to "ride" on the shopping cart in the Costco parking lot - I tell him if he hurts himself, I have another friend with a passport already lined up to take his place because I'm still going!

Seriously, tell your DH we wish him the best and a fast healing.

Hi guys! My name is Lysandra and my family and I just reserved our 5th DCL!!! So excited! Haven't purchased any plane tickets yet though....trying to catch up with u guys by reading all these great posts! I also asked to join the fb page as well. Can't wait to me u all.

Lysandra: Me, myself and Mommy
Luis: DH
Ruby: DD (7)
Diego: DS (4)
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl:

lgbroq said:
Hi guys! My name is Lysandra and my family and I just reserved our 5th DCL!!! So excited! Haven't purchased any plane tickets yet though....trying to catch up with u guys by reading all these great posts! I also asked to join the fb page as well. Can't wait to me u all.

Lysandra: Me, myself and Mommy
Luis: DH
Ruby: DD (7)
Diego: DS (4)
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl:

Welcome!

I saw where The Lone Ranger with Johnny Depp comes out July 3rd. Sure hope they show it on the ship since it is a Disney film.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter