June 23rd 2012 - Commandeering the Disney Fantasy - Pirates back in the Caribbean

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY CHRIS

blue_cake.gif

Coaches?? Yuck!!:headache::headache: Got no use for 'em.

Didn't you coach Kelly's team one season:rolleyes1

Just a quick note -

Thank you all who expressed care and concern for Alicia. And Happy belated BD to ya' Chris!

Alicia's surgeon says she is going to be fine. It involves no bones or nerve damage. Just soft tissue bruising. So a few weeks - maybe as little as 2 (???) or several months and she will have a full recovery!

The down side is yesterday was her most painful and difficult day - in spite of it being spent resting at home doing nothing - and we had warm weather too? So it seems the recovery curve is not a smooth curve but a random jumbled path?

I gotta run now - get the kids to school and volunteer in class.
Glad it isn't too serious Crash. The catch 22 with back injuries is that you have to move just enough to avoid the muscles stiffening up, but not too much that the injured tissue can't heal:confused3
Hope she feels better soon:hug:

Especially since there are so many icky ones out there.

Case in point.....Rob tries his best to play all of the girls on his basketball team as equal as possible, even though this is a more competitive league, and equal play is not mandatory. Well, this past Saturday, they played a team with a girl who was on the court a total of 16 SECONDS! Another girl played just a little over one minute.....:sad2:

We have come up against this time and time and time again. For crying out loud.....they are fifth grade girls! :mad:
Darren umpires Little League and gets quite a few coaches that like to imitate the Major Leagues:rolleyes:
Seriously they will come out and try to intimidate the umpire into changing his calls. Thankfully the kids are almost always polite and respectful. We've been lucky with coaches for our kids' Little League teams-they've all been great. Not an easy job.

Darren, I just noticed this in your sig.......:laughing: love it!

He is a huge Brad Paisley fan:rockband:

:thumbsup2:cool1:

He is a huge Brad Paisley fan:rockband:

:thumbsup2:cool1:

When this song first came out (summer 2007?) everytime it came on Elvis & I would just crack up...LOVE that song! AS gamers Jon and the boys know plenty of people that probably live in their momma's basement! :rotfl2:

That summer Elvis was in three plays at two different theaters so, we spent a lot of time together in the car. :)

When this song first came out (summer 2007?) everytime it came on Elvis & I would just crack up...LOVE that song! AS gamers Jon and the boys know plenty of people that probably live in their momma's basement! :rotfl2:

That summer Elvis was in three plays at two different theaters so, we spent a lot of time together in the car. :)

Steph, I was driving Kelly to music lessons when Darren was recovering from his hip operation and almost every time The Sugarland song "Stuck Like Glue" was on the radio.

One of the reasons I love country music is the lyrics:lovestruc

Steph, I was driving Kelly to music lessons when Darren was recovering from his hip operation and almost every time The Sugarland song "Stuck Like Glue" was on the radio.

Have you seen the video to Stuck Like Glue? Takes it to another level of funny.

Just a quick note -

Thank you all who expressed care and concern for Alicia. And Happy belated BD to ya' Chris!

Alicia's surgeon says she is going to be fine. It involves no bones or nerve damage. Just soft tissue bruising. So a few weeks - maybe as little as 2 (???) or several months and she will have a full recovery!

The down side is yesterday was her most painful and difficult day - in spite of it being spent resting at home doing nothing - and we had warm weather too? So it seems the recovery curve is not a smooth curve but a random jumbled path?

I gotta run now - get the kids to school and volunteer in class.

I hope there is less pain for her today and you are able to enjoy your nice weather.

Especially since there are so many icky ones out there.

Case in point.....Rob tries his best to play all of the girls on his basketball team as equal as possible, even though this is a more competitive league, and equal play is not mandatory. Well, this past Saturday, they played a team with a girl who was on the court a total of 16 SECONDS! Another girl played just a little over one minute.....:sad2:

We have come up against this time and time and time again. For crying out loud.....they are fifth grade girls! :mad:

It is pretty much the same here. Very competitive and if you haven't established yourself by the time 5th grade comes around, you are pretty much done with sports. It is even worse with hockey, I think you have to start as a 3 or 4 year old. You just can't decide to start playing hockey when you are 7, it is too late by then

THAT is a funny song!!!

I think I am the only person in the family that listens to country...the rest sometimes *have* to when I'm driving and controlling the radio! :lmao:

One of my favorite songs this past year was Sounds Like Life to Me. (I think that is the name) Our oldest is one of those *poor me* types and Jon & I have always told him that the same things happen to most people, suck it up and got over it! lol! And that song really had that message! lol!

Have you seen the video to Stuck Like Glue? Takes it to another level of funny.

And I was going to ask the same thing! LOL! We love that video! :rotfl:

It is pretty much the same here. Very competitive and if you haven't established yourself by the time 5th grade comes around, you are pretty much done with sports. It is even worse with hockey, I think you have to start as a 3 or 4 year old. You just can't decide to start playing hockey when you are 7, it is too late by then

Isn't that sad? When I was young, we didn't even start organized sports until around 5th grade. For girls at least.....

We have friends from spring/summer Little League who decided to play fall ball. They figured it would be more relaxed and fun (our LL isn't that intense to begin with). However, they ran right into all of the year-round-my-kid-is-destined-for-the-Majors crazy parents. Not a good time.

Hockey is a whole different story! My kids started skating at 3, playing hockey at 5 and started playing travel hockey at ages 7 & 9 - mostly so they would have a chance at playing high school hockey in Alaska! They play year round (their choice). Regular season Aug.-March and developmental camps, clinics and private lessons April-July. Yes, it is insane, but they still do other things (Scouts, baseball, football, instruments, karate). Then again, I have a warped sense of reality since I was a figure skater!

DS12 played his first season of football last fall. He did just fine with all the kids who have been playing since they were 6. He was even the best kicker in Land of Soccer northern Virginia.

Oh, and Darren - DH refereed on of DSs hockey games last year. The ref didn't show up and it wasn't an official league game, so a couple of dads went out so the teams could play. I refused to go out and ref. I knew I would be lousy at it. DH wouldn't let us say anything bad about the refs for the next month or so!

Isn't that sad? When I was young, we didn't even start organized sports until around 5th grade. For girls at least.....

I don't believe I could start any organized sport until I was in 4th grade.

We have friends from spring/summer Little League who decided to play fall ball. They figured it would be more relaxed and fun (our LL isn't that intense to begin with). However, they ran right into all of the year-round-my-kid-is-destined-for-the-Majors crazy parents. Not a good time.

Hockey is a whole different story! My kids started skating at 3, playing hockey at 5 and started playing travel hockey at ages 7 & 9 - mostly so they would have a chance at playing high school hockey in Alaska! They play year round (their choice). Regular season Aug.-March and developmental camps, clinics and private lessons April-July. Yes, it is insane, but they still do other things (Scouts, baseball, football, instruments, karate). Then again, I have a warped sense of reality since I was a figure skater!

DS12 played his first season of football last fall. He did just fine with all the kids who have been playing since they were 6. He was even the best kicker in Land of Soccer northern Virginia.

Oh, and Darren - DH refereed on of DSs hockey games last year. The ref didn't show up and it wasn't an official league game, so a couple of dads went out so the teams could play. I refused to go out and ref. I knew I would be lousy at it. DH wouldn't let us say anything bad about the refs for the next month or so!

I have run into those year-round-kids/parents before and they are just a little intense. I was talking to a man who ran a basketball school and he said a lot of these kids that are great a young age, everything comes easy to them and when they get older and have to start working at it, a lot of them will just quit. We went to see our niece play in a basketball tourney a couple of weeks ago and a mom from other team was trying to start a fight with the coach of my niece's team. She got right in her face and was screaming at her and cursing out little 5th grade girls. It was pretty sad.

Kylie sports are completely her choice as well. She just can't be busy enough. If she has an afternoon on her hands with nothing to do, she goes stir crazy.

And her goals are just to be able to play them in HS also.

I have run into those year-round-kids/parents before and they are just a little intense. I was talking to a man who ran a basketball school and he said a lot of these kids that are great a young age, everything comes easy to them and when they get older and have to start working at it, a lot of them will just quit. We went to see our niece play in a basketball tourney a couple of weeks ago and a mom from other team was trying to start a fight with the coach of my niece's team. She got right in her face and was screaming at her and cursing out little 5th grade girls. It was pretty sad.

We had a (verbal) fight break out between a parent from our team and the other coach's wife at Kylie's last basketball game. It was pretty embarassing too, as Kylie's school principal had come to that game to see some of her students play.

THAT is a funny song!!!

I think I am the only person in the family that listens to country...the rest sometimes *have* to when I'm driving and controlling the radio! :lmao:

One of my favorite songs this past year was Sounds Like Life to Me. (I think that is the name) Our oldest is one of those *poor me* types and Jon & I have always told him that the same things happen to most people, suck it up and got over it! lol! And that song really had that message! lol!

And I was going to ask the same thing! LOL! We love that video! :rotfl:

Steph I liked that song you had on your facebook page ..."Stealing Cinderella" ?

I started really getting into country music when Darren told me you have to hear the lyrics to this song... It was Terri Clark's "Girls lie too". Hysterical:rotfl:

My DS was in Fall ball and the hardest time we had was how cold it got:cold:
But I got the impression that if a kid was a good athlete he/she could jump in at any time:confused3 The coaches were great about offering help when they saw the kids wanted it.
Both of mine liked Tae Kwon Do because they were not really competing against anybody but themselves...although they both seemed to do well with sparring. I think the whole idea that they were finally allowed to hit and kick someone appealed to them:rolleyes1

Darren used to try to talk the rest of us into umpiring, but you really need a thick skin to do that job (which the kids and I don't have)
I don't believe I could start any organized sport until I was in 4th grade.

We had a (verbal) fight break out between a parent from our team and the other coach's wife at Kylie's last basketball game. It was pretty embarassing too, as Kylie's school principal had come to that game to see some of her students play.

Oh I just cringe when I see (or hear of) the grown-ups acting like that:sad2:
especially in front of the kids:confused3

Well it's not quite 3 or 4, but straight from an email received just today from Kylie's soccer club about their Skill Academy: "The program is designed to give young players their highest level of professional coaching, starting at age 5, to ensure they are learning the skills necessary to play soccer at the absolute highest level in later years". Get them in now or they will not succeed later. And her club is somewhat low key about this stuff. But if you are not in club soccer you might as well not plan on playing in High School.

Just before the TOAL Kylie was in travel Summer softball and while we were gone was invited to play in a fall ball league. By the time we got back it was a little late and it would have interfered with fall Soccer which she was already committed too anyway. When Summer came back around, the travel team was comprised of all those who were on the fall team and all others were on the outside looking in. Keep in mind this is 9 and 10 yr olds. She happily plays in the rec league and can try out for Middle School if she wants. But it's like if you don't get in the queue for a sport so early you're done. And as we go to indoor soccer (out of season) and see all the softball players (out of season) training and finish our basketball season (actually in season) we happily schlepp our daughter from place to place because it won't be long until she brings home a flyer and says "can I try field hockey?!"

I refuse to ump kids fall ball because it can get so crazy, both in the way you say, and in the widely disparate talent you can see. I stick to men's league baseball in the fall (it pays better anyway).

And good for Steve, both for stepping up when needed and for realizing the job is tough enough that criticism from the peanut gallery is unwarranted, especially when the officials are volunteering their time. When we recruit for umpires, we always wish there was a way to force coaches to do it at least once. They would at least understand what it's like out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter