June 23 – July 3, 2017 Our First Oahu vacation - SUPER LONG!

PattiPB

<font color=green>I'll be happy to learn the secre
Pre-trip info:

I devoured trip reports in the seven months we planned our Aulani trip, so I am determined to do one for future travelers. Pictures aren’t downloaded yet, but hopefully I’ll add them later.

“B” and I (“P”) are 51 year old Disney people. We’ve been married 27 years, and our kids are 23, 21, and 19. We left them home for this adventure. We travel to WDW at least twice per year, and I travel to DL and WDW another four times per year for runDisney events. We’ve owned DVC for over ten years, and use every single point every year. We are not, however, tied to DVC or deluxe accommodations. When we pay OOP, we stay Value or off-site at DL. We are also not “foodies” at all, and are just as happy making meals in the villa or just getting something quick and easy. If you’re looking for a report full of restaurants, this ain’t it! We are very much beach people, so we were more interested in checking out beaches than restaurants!

Flights and rental car:

I am now spoiled by Hawaiian Airlines for life, and my previous adoration for Southwest Airlines has been ruined! On our non-stop flight over from Las Vegas (our home), we were served breakfast, and had a rum punch before landing. Our return flight had a nice dinner served with wine. Each seat had an individual monitor, and for $8 I watched TV shows and movies both ways. It made time fly. More importantly, HA was my first taste of Honolulu Cookie Company, which is another new obsession. For reference before we even start, this trip was so magical I applied for a Hawaiian Airlines credit card while still on the plane home!

Alamo rental car was cheap seven months in advance ($320 total for 11 days, standard car). There was a shuttle waiting for us when we came from baggage claim, and we had no wait at the Alamo desk, either. Same timing luck on our way back to the airport, too. I was glad I booked Alamo, because if something had gone wrong with the car, we could have exchanged it at Aulani and not had to return to the airport. Fortunately, this was unnecessary.

PART ONE: Waikiki

6/23 – day one By the time we landed and retrieved the rental car, we got to the hotel at 1:45. We stayed at the WAIKIKI Ohana East, which is the budget-friendly arm of the Outrigger properties. We were approximately 1 ½ blocks from the beach. It was a great hotel for a great price. Including parking and “resort fee” it was $204 per night ($150 plus additional fees). It was easy to find off the main drag, right beside the International Marketplace for reference points, and the street led directly to a public beach park next to Moana Surfrider, so getting to the water was really easy. No view from our room, but the room was fresh and clean every day, with great shower pressure and comfy bed and towels. They even gave us a string backpack bag as a welcome gift.

The room was ready early, so after a quick change, we headed to the beach. The beach park (“Kihuelo”???sp) had restrooms right there, and there is a beach grill for food. Due to the “king tide” there was very little beach left on Waikiki, but we got situated and hit the water. It was the perfect temperature and the waves had quite a kick to them. After the beach we went in some shops on the “Strip” (totally reminded me of home!!!) and bought me a beach chair. We had a GREAT dinner at Maui Brewing Company (highly recommend for price and quality), and turned in around 10 pm.

6/24 – day two We woke up fairly early to head to Pearl Harbor. We arrived and parked (plenty of spots) and were in line at 7:30. The line was super long, but moved along. I was amazed that we got 8 am tour tickets getting there so late! It was a very moving experience, and afterward we spent quite a while in the museum. From there we headed to the Punchbowl, which was beautiful and had a lovely chapel. Our last stop of the day was Diamond Head, where we did some of the hike, and enjoyed the beautiful scenery.

Around 3 pm we were back in the hotel resting. We left the hotel after 4 to catch the Mai Tai sunset catamaran tour we had booked in advance. Barefoot boarding almost ended up being swimming boarding due to the king tide, but it was a fun adventure. I would highly recommend doing a sunset tour, not only because of the unlimited bar, but because the views were outstanding. We had a great time, and ended up getting wet from the rough surf, so be prepared!

After the cruise we had a late dinner at the Royal Hawaiian Center, and got to see some live music and hula dancing. We then walked to the Moana Surfrider (near our hotel) and sat and listened to more live music. It was a lovely end to a great day.

6/25 – day three Pure BEACH DAY!!! Thanks to Subway across from our hotel, we brought lunch to the beach in our small cooler we packed from home. B rented a surfboard for 3 hours in the morning, and caught some good 3-4 foot waves (he’s a surfer from California). We relaxed on the beach well into the afternoon, and returned to the hotel around 3 pm.

I really wanted to see the Ala Moana Center, so we went there for shopping and dinner. I’m from a shopping mecca, so I didn’t do much shopping, but the mall is beautiful. After shopping, we did our own driving tour of Waikiki, checking out the different areas and hotels (for next time!!!)

PART TWO: Aulani

6/26 – day four We woke up early and hit the beach from 8 – 11 this morning before leaving Waikiki. After a quick lunch, we hit the road for Aulani, getting there around 1 pm. The first sight of it in the distance reminded me of the first time we took a cruise and you could see the ship from far away. It was AWESOME!!!

We checked in at 1 pm, and our room wasn’t ready. I asked if she could tell me the room number (knowing they can’t) and she said “No, but I can see that your room requests have been honored; you are on a high floor in a room ending with 73.” I was beyond excited!!! It turned out we had room 1473, and our “Island/Garden view” was in fact mostly OCEANVIEW. Thank you DIS for that awesome thread!!! We changed in the hospitality room and hit the pools and beach. Literally as we walked onto the pool area, we walked into Goofy, Pluto and Mickey Mouse!!! WITHIN MINUTES OF CHECKING IN!!! Will the magic never cease!!!???

Even at this busy time of day, we found two chairs at the adult pool. There were plenty of chairs on the beach available, too. Around 3:45 we got the room ready text, so we went up and unpacked. It is a standard DVC Studio Villa, like in every property. We did not find the room dark at all as I’ve seen mentioned before, and while the lobby was reminiscent of AKL, I didn’t feel the room was much like AKL. Everything was perfectly clean and in working order. Bell services delivered within 15 minutes. After some oohs and aahs, we took off to Kapolei for shopping. We walked in and out of Safeway ($$$$$) and ended up at good old Target for our groceries. We bought about $100 worth of groceries, and it kept us fed for the entire week!!! The ride to Kapolei was all of five minutes, very convenient, and we had a quick dinner in town. That night they were showing Aladdin on the lawn below our room, so we sat on the balcony and relaxed.

6/27 – day five B is a surfer, so we took off early in the morning for the North Shore to check out some of the famous spots, even though we knew it’d be flat this time of year. Our first stop was the Dole Plantation, and I agree with other posters that it’s merely a stop on the way somewhere else. The prices there absolutely floored me! Driving north, we spent considerable time in Hale’ewa. We went to a couple of “hippie fair” stops (small flea market types), and stopped for brunch at the Café Hale’ewa which we highly recommend. It was a great, small locals spot with a small menu of awesome breakfast and lunch items. It’s on the right on the main drag at the beginning of the town center.

Drove past Waimae Bay, but put it on the list for next time, continuing up to the Banzai Pipeline. Excellent beach (my required amenities: lifeguard, bathrooms and showers) with one heck of a shorebreak. B played in the shorebreak for a long time, and it was very entertaining watching him get tossed like a rag doll. After a few hours, we took the long, slow way to get “home”. We hit the beach at Aulani for an hour or two when we got back. After eating dinner in the room, we watched the luau taking place on the lawn below our room.

6/28 – day six In our quest to find beaches all across the island, we used this day to checking out Route 93 North of Aulani, in search of a beach. We lucked out in finding Nanakuli State Beach Park (locals call is Zablan). It is a beautiful beach with all the amenities I need (l, b & s) for a relaxing day. The water was beautiful and clear, with light waves and swells lifting us up. B is a big snorkeler, and there was an off-shore reef at this location, as well as a reef that went around some corners and cliffs. Kids were jumping off the reef (about 10 feet) into the water, and B went snorkeling in that area to find some fish. He found lots of coral and tons of different fish.

That afternoon we walked over to Paradise Cove (Very easy to find – use the DIS directions and it’ll be a piece of cake for you). You can’t imagine my shock that we would luck into seeing some sea turtles!! They were absolutely beautiful and gentle. B swam with one out by the reef for quite a while! One swam up to me and used my leg to push off with his fin! We didn’t intrude on them in any way, kept our distance as best we could, and it was a truly magical experience. When we got back to Aulani, we parked at the beach for an hour or two.

That night we ordered delivery from Pizza Corner and it was really, really bad pizza. I don’t recommend it at all. Wandering the hotel that night, we hung out in the Olelo Room watching some live music, and made it to see Uncle’s storytime, which was very interesting.

6/29 – day seven We cancelled our plans to go to the Polynesian Culture Center at the last minute (we just weren’t feeling it) and put that on our next time list. Instead we spent the day at Aulani! Even at 10 am we were able to get shady seats at the lagoon, so we were set for the day. We played on the water slides and in the lazy river – neither of which was overly crowded. B snorkeled in the lagoon, and we lounged in the calm water. At around 4 we went up to our room to get showered so we could do sunset pictures.

There are either one or two photographers out from around 6:30 pm for sunset pictures. Go to all of them!!! We found the quality varied greatly in the photographers, and how much time they took with us varied as well. Don’t be afraid to ask for whatever pose you want --- you know how you look your best!

After the sunset pictures, we went to Monkeypod for dinner. It gets great reviews on the DIS, and my fish and chips was good. My husband had the fish tacos, and it was very disappointing. Very little food, no sides with it at all, and just plain boring. Order differently.

6/30 – day eight Let’s find a few more beaches today! The parking Gods were with us this entire vacation, so we were happy to get a space at Kailua Beach (l, b & s) after leaving the resort at 9 am. Another beautiful sandy bottomed beach, B snorkeled a bit further out, and had a great time when he met a crab who decided to use his back as a beach and walk all over him!!! The big trees on the beach provided me with good shade in my beach chair, and it was a great morning. In the Kailua town center we had Teddy’s Bigger Burgers (try the Hawaiian), which was a great lunch.

We took the advice of a DIS poster, and hit Hanauma Bay mid-afternoon and it was GREAT ADVICE! The place was half-empty so parking was a breeze, and we got a shady beach spot under some trees near the lifeguard stand. This was the only beach that cost us any money at all, and coming from NJ (P) and California (B) we’re used to paying either for parking or using the beach so we were thrilled!!! B snorkeled his heart out at Hanauma Bay and was thrilled with the variety of fish and wildlife he saw underwater. I was shocked by the mongoose that were hanging around on shore!

Our tram driver (Heck yeah we paid for the up and down tram service!!!) recommended we go to Uncle Clay’s House of Aloha for amazing shave ice, and he wasn’t kidding. Uncle Clay (who was there btw) makes his own syrups using locally sourced fruits, and the pineapple was wonderful. B had one of their house specialties with green tea and mochi. Definitely worth a stop---it was right on the way back to Aulani from Hanauma Bay in a little local strip mall.

After a few more hours on the beach, we packed it in. We really went to bed fairly early every night of this vacation.

7/1 – day nine Kualoa Ranch!!!! Checked in at 7:45 for our Experience Package at the ranch. We chose the Ocean Voyage catamaran tour, the Movie Sites tour and the Jungle Expedition, and did that in that order with lunch before the last tour. What a great day at an unbelievably beautiful location in a different part of the island.

The catamaran tour was so much fun! We love being out on the water, and B stood right up front to get soaked by the waves. I stood at the railing on the second level of the boat, and would you believe a couple of the waves came up that high! It was fabulous (and we saved all our electronics thankfully). The view of Chinaman’s Hat and the island was spectacular from the water. We sailed over Baby Turtle Reef, and got to see some turtles swimming around. They were so cute and little.

The movie sites tour was a lot of fun on the old school bus. We learned a lot about different shows and movies that were filmed there. Jungle Expedition went to a different part of the ranch, and it was a pretty rough ride. We liked both of these tours, but the catamaran was the best! The lunch was the same as they served in the main store, and we felt all the food was very good for buffet style. The entire day was $226 for two of us, and we felt like we got our money’s worth out of it.

Returning to Aulani, we changed immediately and hit Paradise Cove. No turtles this time, but B had some fun snorkeling and it was a great way to finish the day. After an hour at the Aulani lagoon, we had more sunset pictures taken in our bathing suits and went to the point to watch the sunset. Definitely recommend at least one night at the point to see the sunset – the view is fabulous. After sunset we had a little time left for water slides, then hit the adult hot tub for a long, relaxing soak.

7/2 – day ten Decided to pick a favorite beach to return to, and the winner was Zablan (the local beach near Aulani). Since it was Sunday, we left early to beat some of the locals because the parking lot isn’t that big. The beach was bustling all day with locals having fun, a birthday party, and a steady stream of tourists coming and going. The snorkeling was great for B – he even watched an eel get chased by some fish, and swam with another sea turtle. We walked on the reefs, and got to talking to a local about the reefs. The famous Mermaids Cave is at this beach, so we got to see the caves, and there were actually people going down into the cave to go swimming!!! Crazy people!!! We hit the local McDonald’s after we left the beach to get a famous taro pie, but that location didn’t serve them. They did have guava pie which was surprisingly awesome!

From about 3 on we were at Aulani’s beach relaxing again. We were able to get shade, and B did some more snorkeling. That evening we had casual clothes on when we did sunset pictures, and these turned out great, too. Make sure they do multiple poses for you – you never know if you’ll get a good one! We sat out at the point long past sunset talking about what an amazing trip it had been. And yes, we were talking about our return trip in two years!!!

7/3 – day eleven We did the majority of packing last night, so we hit the beach at 7:30 am for some last minute relaxing. We stayed until about 10 am, at which time the vast majority of the beach was still empty. We showered up, left at 11 and headed straight to the airport for a 3 pm flight. Dropping off the car was a piece of cake, and we wandered and relaxed in the airport before our ontime departure.

ENDING NOTES:

· I couldn’t bring myself to buy the D&B purse with Duffy on it. I just couldn’t do it, so I got a mug and a t-shirt instead. Really wanted a D&B, but neither print thrilled me. Don’t forget your DVC card to get the 10% store discount!

· The characters are out and about every day! We didn’t wait for all of them, but got to see just about everybody.

· As you can tell, we toured every morning, and hit Aulani mid- to late-afternoon for some water activities. We NEVER had a problem finding seats at the adult pool or the beach.

· The last morning, at 7:30 am, there were very few people “saving” pool chairs, and absolutely nobody at the beach. THEREFORE…we didn’t see the pool chair madness I expected. At all.

· We visited Honolulu Cookie Company at several of the Waikiki locations, to partake in the wonderful samples they provide. We bought all of our souvenirs there, because they are so very good. If this is your plan, DO NOT WAIT until Aulani. They were marked up 100% at the store in Aulani. Do your purchasing in Waikiki!!!

· I bought the refillable mug on my first day, and it got stolen from a chair by the main pool a few days later. Make sure you stow it somewhere safe when you leave your pool chair! I was m-a-d!

· One of my favorite things in the room I never saw mentioned on the DIS. You have a screen door on your balcony! We left the door open all night every night with just the screen door. It was wonderful!

· We probably had the lowest Aulani bill in the hotel’s history, because we ate NO meals there. I had a Dole Whip one day, and I shopped a few times at the store, but that’s it. Told you we weren’t foodies…

· We ate a good breakfast in the room every day, and usually one other meal in the room. It can be done and we didn’t feel like we denied ourselves at all.

· We left my beach chair with a “Take me, please” note, and it was gone in minutes. We also gave away a case of water on the elevator our last day. Pay it forward, everybody!!!

· If your travel plans make it at all close to feasible to buy a WDW AP, do it!!! All the Photopass pictures are included FREE with my WDW AP, so we got as many as we possibly could!

· We didn’t just hop from place to place, as you can see. We spent a minimum of two hours every beach we visited and places we stopped. I really can’t imagine going to more places and really getting to know the area by just jumping around.

I loved reading all your details and I can tell you really paid attention to these boards!

More importantly, HA was my first taste of Honolulu Cookie Company, which is another new obsession.

mmmmmm (drooling) they are our favorite too!

Our tram driver (Heck yeah we paid for the up and down tram service!!!) recommended we go to Uncle Clay’s House of Aloha for amazing shave ice, and he wasn’t kidding. Uncle Clay (who was there btw)

Lucky you! We have been a few times and have yet to actually meet Uncle Clay. You are right, the syrups are so good.

Thanks for your comments, aloha Mom! Over the years the DIS has saved me time, money and headaches so many times! This is an amazing resource and I rarely feel like I can "give back".

ITA. I got so much great info here! I'm going to write a TR...soon.

I totally second the Teddy's Hawaiian!! Had that for lunch before hitting Hanauma Bay around 1:00 (again, great advice here) and it was delicious! But so funny that you hated the Pizza Corner pizza and we really liked it. The sauce was very low acid so my DH and DD could eat it without issues, and DS and I had the leftovers for lunch the next day. (Not to mention the cinnamon rolls! Nom)

We definitely witnessed the chair craziness, just two weeks before. Funny how it varies.

Sounds like you had a great trip, and like you, I'm already scoping out plans for a return!!! Kailua is on my list :)

Glad you had a good time!! I totally agree about Hanauma bay in the afternoon. We never go in the morning. Sometimes the water is a little more cloudy in the afternoon but honestly, I don't want to deal with that parking madness.

ITA. I got so much great info here! But so funny that you hated the Pizza Corner pizza and we really liked it. The sauce was very low acid so my DH and DD could eat it without issues, and DS and I had the leftovers for lunch the next day. (Not to mention the cinnamon rolls! Nom)

We definitely witnessed the chair craziness, just two weeks before. Funny how it varies.

Sounds like you had a great trip, and like you, I'm already scoping out plans for a return!!! Kailua is on my list :)

Glad you enjoyed Pizza Corner. Probably just an off night for us. Kailua was a great beach!

Glad you had a good time!! I totally agree about Hanauma bay in the afternoon. We never go in the morning. Sometimes the water is a little more cloudy in the afternoon but honestly, I don't want to deal with that parking madness.

I was worried about the water being cloudy, but it wasn't an issue!

Sounds fun, good move on the pass on the polynesian cultural center. Also check out Sherwood beach by kailua next trip. Just stunning.

Maui brewing just opened this year.. They took over the old Jimmy Buffet spot which was a little too touristy and really nailed it from what I saw. I enjoy talking to the homesick military kids in waikiki and they like it there

Sounds fun, good move on the pass on the polynesian cultural center. Also check out Sherwood beach by kailua next trip. Just stunning.

Maui brewing just opened this year.. They took over the old Jimmy Buffet spot which was a little too touristy and really nailed it from what I saw. I enjoy talking to the homesick military kids in waikiki and they like it there

Will put Sherwood on our return list!

Future traveler FYI: Maui brewing has good happy hour specials. We missed the cutoff time, but it looked like a great deal.

Maui brewing is great unless you get stuck in the very back of the restaurant. It's an odd set up there. But I've enjoyed myself every time we've gone.

ENDING NOTES:

· If your travel plans make it at all close to feasible to buy a WDW AP, do it!!! All the Photopass pictures are included FREE with my WDW AP, so we got as many as we possibly could!

Did you just have to take your plastic WDW AP card with you?

If your travel plans make it at all close to feasible to buy a WDW AP, do it!!! All the Photopass pictures are included FREE with my WDW AP, so we got as many as we possibly could!

OMG, I did not know this!!! I just bought an AP gold two weeks ago on our WDW vacation , I did not know the picture/memory maker thing would transfer!! Of course with no bands I have to check the picks every few days? Did I read that right? How does it transfer digitally? How does it work?

Also do you have to book sunset pics?

Thanks for this report, I leave Monday and was having major dental and sinus issues through June and dropped the ball on final planning, we are beach people too and your trip sounded perfect!! However I had to book some stuff to keep our kids happy (ziplining, Kualoa ranch tours, surf lessons, mountain biking for my older sons and dolphin time for my daughter, pearl harbor and kyack and SUP time too!!)

I really wanted to be more spontanious but seeing how things are filling up is stressing me out...

Photo pass: they give you the old fashioned photo pass card, and you link your photos in mydisneyexperience, under the Aulani tab. Super easy, and those pictures showed up the day after they were taken. Best AP perk ever!!!

Sunset pictures: there is a specific place on the beach where they take pictures for people who book and pay for sunset pictures. For us, you just walk to the beach and you will see at least one photographer near the water, and another one usually near the walking path. The pics near the water are better. We even did the jumping in the air pose and it's adorable!!

FREE FREE FREE!!

Thanks for this report, I leave Monday and was having major dental and sinus issues through June and dropped the ball on final planning, we are beach people too and your trip sounded perfect!! However I had to book some stuff to keep our kids happy (ziplining, Kualoa ranch tours, surf lessons, mountain biking for my older sons and dolphin time for my daughter, pearl harbor and kyack and SUP time too!!)

I really wanted to be more spontanious but seeing how things are filling up is stressing me out...

Sounds like you have a lot planned! Loved Kualoa! Hope you are doing a catamaran cruise either there or Waikiki. My kids would've loved that, which we did! Everywhere we did go seemed "sold out" so I'm glad I booked a few things.

What a great report for someone like DH and I who haven't been to Oahu and Aulani. Thanks for sharing your wonderful trip details. I've made notes on our RD itinerary to definitely check out the Maui Brewing Company for happy hour/lunch or dinner and the Honolulu Cookie Company while we're in Waikiki on 10/11 & 10/12 before we leave on our cruise on 10/13.

We're staying at the "Vive Hotel Waikiki" which is located about 1.5 blocks from the beach. We also want to do Pearl Harbor but will have to save that for when we return from Sydney. We're staying there for 5 nights after our DCL 14-night cruise. Then we fly back to HNL on 11/1+1 morning on Qantas to stay at Aulani for 5 nights before flying home on 11/7 +1 morning. DH and I definitely plan to check out renting a car from Alamo for getting to Aulani and to visit the many beaches you describe in your report (even though I'm much more partial to mountains and wilderness having been a climber for 30 years). We also don't care if we eat in expensive restaurants and plan to get groceries at the Target in Kapolei for breakfast and some other meals. Thank you again for giving such good details about your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter