June 21, 2011 - The Wonder breaks the Alaskan icebergs!

Jenny, we will love your fe gifts especially since your kids did them!:thumbsup2
You just worry about you! :) joanne

Thanks. We'll see what the mom's think of the gifts--hubby bought things a dad would buy for kids but maybe not a mom. We'll see. You can all shoot me if you find the gifts annoying ;)

I think I'm going with sandals inside, even for dinner. I'm a sandal girl too. And they're much smaller in the suitcase. I'm bring 2 pairs of sneakers, and then maybe 4 other pairs of sandals. Maybe 5. It will depend if my hubby is watching me pack.

The weather for Saturday in Vancouver forecast 40% showers...so that means 60% of no showers. We are planning on going to the Capilino Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountian on Saturday. Then Sunday and Monday we will do the Hop On Hop Off bus. Looking forward to meeting everyone in 8 days. Time for :laundy: and packing but all I want to do is sit on the couch and watch the new puppy sleep.

I hope you get feeling better quickly, Jenny!

I am bringing cheap knit gloves that can easily get stuffed into pockets if not needed. My hands get cold, and I hate that. I leaning against the hats. Maybe a headband to cover the ears.

My nice dresses don't have pockets, so I like to bring a bag large enough for my KTTW card and a camera - and a pin lanyard, because you never know what pin will jump out at you and beg to be traded for:)

I haven't given too much thought to PJs. My kids wear shorts and tank tops even in the dead of winter.

Shoes. Yes, they are my nemesis. Sneakers, dress sandals, flip flops. I may have to suck it up and wear heels to dinner every night.

I hope I'm packed! We leave for Minneapolis in the morning an wont be back until sunday to head out to vancouver on monday! SO EXCITED but the packing has been a challenge as we are going from the cruise to Wrightsville Beach, NC for my BF's family reunion. So 10+ days of clothes is gonna be "fun" to lug around. Beach clothes and Alaska Clothes don't mix too well... LOL! Can't wait to meet everyone!:cloud9::hug:

OK, it's Monday and I'm still sick. BOO! I'm going back to the doctor today. She said she'd put me on Levaquin if I didn't get better, but I run and I'm afraid to do the Levaquin. But I don't want to be sick on vacation either.

We finished up the FEs this weekend. Our FEs are probably the cheapest/crappiest ever, but my kids liked making them (I was too tired) so they got done. And hubby and the kids did the gifts.

I'm not packed yet, but I've started the pile ;). I'm still trying to get through all of the laundry that backed up when I was sick. I have some more questions...

What kind of PJs are you bringing? winter? summer? a mix? I'm wondering how cool the room will be (my kids usually take their flannel pants to disney even in the summer because the AC can be brutal).
Are you bringing gloves and hats (not baseball)? The weather looks fairly warm for Alaska next week.
How many shoes are you bringing? My pile of shoes is really large :).
Do you bring an evening bag for dinner? or just use your regular handbag? Or no handbag at dinner?

I am so sorry to hear that you are still sick :sick: I'd take whatever meds you need to feel better and worry about running later. Don't worry about the FE gifts. Sounds like your kids had fun making them, and thats what counts. Have DH pitch in and help with the laundry. You really need to rest as much as possible.

My girls are bringing their cool weather jammies with long pants and sleeves. If they get too warm, they can just put on a t-shirt. We are bringing gloves and hats just in case. Shoes are tough because they take up so much room in the suitcase. We'll each bring one pair of formal shoes, casual shoes, and athletic shoes. The girls will bring their flip flops because they are planning on swimming. I'll probably throw in a pair too in case I decide that I want to sit in the hot tub. I generally don't bring a handbag to dinner. I have my KTTW card on my lanyard and call it good.

Weather update. Now the extended forecast is calling for partly cloudy with temps in the mid-60s in Vancouver this weekend, with a few rain showers on Saturday. Let's keep our fingers crossed that this one sticks!

shoes- I'm packing one pair of heels (more like high heeled sandals. I'm all for comfort), crocs, and my sneakers. The kids are also bringing sneakers, dress shoes and sandals.

purse- just bringing my regular sized purse, more for our time in Seattle/Vancouver than for being on the ship. On the ship, my lanyard and KTTWC are all I need!

gloves/hats- just bringing sunhats and baseball caps. We have sweatshirts and raincoats/windbreakers. I'm not worried about it being too cold for that. We're from NY and used to cool weather.

PJs- I packed medium weight pajamas. We can usually control the cabin temperature to some extent, so I'm not worried.

I hope I'm packed! We leave for Minneapolis in the morning an wont be back until sunday to head out to vancouver on monday! SO EXCITED but the packing has been a challenge as we are going from the cruise to Wrightsville Beach, NC for my BF's family reunion. So 10+ days of clothes is gonna be "fun" to lug around. Beach clothes and Alaska Clothes don't mix too well... LOL! Can't wait to meet everyone!:cloud9::hug:

wow, you will literally be from coast to coast! Have a great trip -- see you real soon!

Good morning everyone!

OK, so I've decided to pack flannel pants for pjs for the kids. With flip flops and a sweatshirt they could head up to deck 9 for something in that without changing so it seems practical.

Oh, the shoe thing. I'm down to 6 pairs. I think I can live with that.

I'm going to dig up hats, gloves and my kids north face jackets today and wash them. Are you all wearing your raincoats on the plane? We usually wear hoodies or something soft and easy to sleep in, but I want to hit the ground running in Vancouver and it looks rainy this weekend.

My boys want to bring their blankets from their bed. I'm on the fence about this. They are in the cabin next door to us--not connecting (for the first time)--so they are a little uneasy. If it helps them sleep then I'm all for it. But it's more to pack. They are brining their little scrunch pillows on the plane in their backpacks so I don't have to pack those.

Are you bringing laundry soap? Or buying it on the ship? I usually pack it for Disney, but I'm usually not packing so many clothes. Are the washers on the ship HE now?

My list keeps getting longer!!

I am bringing soap.

You'll need another suitcase for your shoes! I think that is the worst part about traveling with dressy clothes. I am packing one pair of dress shoes (dressy sandals actually) and will make everything work around them. I am a jeans/t-shirt/sneakers kind of girl that does not like to get dressed up at all. I'm trying to pack one pair of nice shoes only for each of us. For PJs, flannel pants and Ts or light weight pant/shirt combos is what I plan on bringing. I'm just packing disposable rain ponchos since we don't have rain coats. I am bringing gloves and winter coats. I think it will be chilly on the water.

But, best of all, I found the binoculars!

I have an idea of where Yardley is. I see signs for it off of 295 when we travel to my parents' house in NJ. We are in MD and usually take 295/195 to the turnpike.

Good morning everyone!

OK, so I've decided to pack flannel pants for pjs for the kids. With flip flops and a sweatshirt they could head up to deck 9 for something in that without changing so it seems practical.

That makes sense to me. Good idea.

I'm going to dig up hats, gloves and my kids north face jackets today and wash them. Are you all wearing your raincoats on the plane? We usually wear hoodies or something soft and easy to sleep in, but I want to hit the ground running in Vancouver and it looks rainy this weekend.

My airplane strategy is to have everyone wear the bulkiest clothes and shoes that we are bringing. That saves space in the suitcases.

My boys want to bring their blankets from their bed. I'm on the fence about this. They are in the cabin next door to us--not connecting (for the first time)--so they are a little uneasy. If it helps them sleep then I'm all for it. But it's more to pack. They are brining their little scrunch pillows on the plane in their backpacks so I don't have to pack those.

Won't the blankets take up a lot of room in their suitcases? Perhaps they could find a smaller token of home to bring?

Are you bringing laundry soap? Or buying it on the ship? I usually pack it for Disney, but I'm usually not packing so many clothes. Are the washers on the ship HE now?

We bring the Purex all-in-one laundry sheets that go from the washer to the dryer. Just throw a few in a ziploc baggie and you're ready to go.

Do the kids have a carry-on bag? Maybe you could give them the choice of what they want to pack in it, and if it's the blanket instead of some other item, fine? My philosophy is "you pack it, you carry it". I can't tell you how many trips I've looked through my teens' stuff and found their favorite plush toy stuffed in the bottom.

I'm bringing laundry soap, pre-measured in ziplock baggies. Everyone will wear sneakers on the plane to save space and weight in the suitcases. Raincoats will go in the carry-ons, because we're expecting 90 degrees here. Jackets will go in an outside zipped pocket of the checked bags.

I can't tell you how many trips I've looked through my teens' stuff and found their favorite plush toy stuffed in the bottom.

:lmao: My DD's still sleep with and bring their "woobies". Although, I'm a fine one to talk. My tempurpedic pillow always goes in my carryon. :cloud9:

I need to find a bigger suitcase! I still have 2 sets of binoculars, a power strip, collapsible hamper and other miscellaneous to pack, and I am out of room. I am so glad we are driving. I couldn't imagine taking all this stuff through the TSA.

Still waiting to hear if I will have a job when we come back. Not saying much because I don't want to jinx it, but I think this one may work out.

Safe travels to all my DIS friends as we head for Vancouver and parts farther North!:drive::grouphug:

I haven't even started packing yet!!!! :eek: I did buy 2 new suitcases over the weekend because they are bigger than the ones we have and I figured we could put more stuff in them. I do have the kids FE gifts done though. Now I just have to work on the adults. See you all in a week! :) :yay: :wave2:

I haven't even started packing yet!!!! :eek:

Me either! 1) Because I really don't have a convenient place to stage everything, and 2) I don't want to put the cats on alert that it's almost Kitty Hotel time. :tiptoe:

I am so glad to hear that others have not started packing. :) After having this booked for over a year and a half, I feel like now that the cruise is here I can't get started and am totally unorganized. UGH!

I've been so busy with work this week that I haven't caught up on my packing. I need to fit laundry/packing around my work tomorrow and we leave bright and early on Thursday morning. I KNOW I'm going to forget things at this point and I have to stop stressing and just accept it.

I haven't even looked at packing the carryon bags yet. Clothing is done, but everything else is half complete. DH has been working NONSTOP and been no help in this department at all.

:rolleyes1

I don't want to put the cats on alert that it's almost Kitty Hotel time. :tiptoe:

That's so funny. I have a pile and won't pull out the suitcases until after we take our dogs to the vet for boarding--they'll completely freak out.

I have to go in to work for my last day today (ever, actually and I'm really happy). And we're running to the orthodontist because DD15 managed to break her braces (again) and I want them fixed before we go away. DH comes home from work tomorrow night, so Friday is freak out and pack day.

We're flying Air Canada so I'm a little nervous reading about the strike, but I'm hoping it will be ok.

Don't forget the Canucks are on NBC tonight. We've been cheering for Vancouver (can't cheer for Boston if you're a Flyers fan). And they've been showing great live shots from around Vancouver during the games. It's been getting us all worked up to go. I think I'm looking forward to Vancouver more than Alaska.

That makes sense to me. Good idea.

My airplane strategy is to have everyone wear the bulkiest clothes and shoes that we are bringing. That saves space in the suitcases.

We bring the Purex all-in-one laundry sheets that go from the washer to the dryer. Just throw a few in a ziploc baggie and you're ready to go.

Thank you so much for sharing your packing strategy. I areally appreciate it.
I am just now starting to pack. I need to run out to buy Purex all-in-one laundry sheets. I finally got a cheap over the door organizer as suggested by someone here. I am so glad I found this board. I have learned so much.

About the door decor, are you all decorate more "Alaska" theme or are you decorate something related to the place/city/state you come from? I am thinking decorate something from your home state is meaningful too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter