June 21, 2011 - The Wonder breaks the Alaskan icebergs!

Finished stuffing 65 gift bags for FE exchange today. Hoping I can fit them all into one tote bag. Good thing we are driving instead of flying. I still have to finish 5 cabins' worth of a separate cabin gift, but am feeling on the downhill side and know I can get it done.

I still need to get my kids organized for packing yet. They are in school until the 17th and have a lot of year end activities coming up, so we are running around a lot these days. Hard to believe we sail in two weeks!

Here in Portland, we have only had two 80 degree days, and they were both this past weekend, Sunday being overcast and humid. I don't think we are going to have to adjust much to Alaska weather. We have had the coolest and wettest spring on record, so we may actually see more sun in Alaska than we have seen in Oregon this year! I am hoping so, anyway. :thumbsup2

Here in Portland, we have only had two 80 degree days, and they were both this past weekend, Sunday being overcast and humid. I don't think we are going to have to adjust much to Alaska weather. We have had the coolest and wettest spring on record, so we may actually see more sun in Alaska than we have seen in Oregon this year! I am hoping so, anyway. :thumbsup2

Same here in the Seattle area. I've started checking the 10-day forecasts on weather.com every day. It's looking good towards the end of next week in Vancouver so far. Alaska is showing rain next week, so let's hope we see sun the following week!

Here are 3 of our door magnets that my BFF and I made yesterday. She is amazingly creative and I will be getting her some really nice Alaska souvenirs as a thank you for her help. :worship:

Those are awesome!!!!! :cool1:

For those of us having some brutal upper 90s to 100s, I just checked the 10 days forecast for Juneau...highs in the upper 50s to lower 60s. Can we say natural A/C?!?!?:lmao:

Charlie

Ha! I still think I'm going to miss my swimming pool. ;)

Yikes - I have to find mine! I packed it away after the last cruise. It sure does come in handy.
We have 2 staterooms this time, so I may need to get another one.

We have 2 staterooms, too - and in a last minute panic, I ordered another shoe holder. C'mon Target!!:yay:

We use them for toiletries and some random other odds and sods. I've actually found that the DCL cabins have pretty sufficient shelf space, so they're less necessary than I've found on other cruiselines.

Oh, GM, you are so wrong! ;)

The clear shoe holders are a life-saver, no matter the size of your cabin. We put sunglasses, bugspray, pirate tattoos and favors, pens, keycards, coffee cards, bandaids, stain-sticks, glo-sticks..

We've filled ours up every single cruise, b/c there is all that little stuff that gets lost in drawers.

It's by FAR the best cruise suggestion I have ever had on these threads. :thumbsup2

So we had rain in the San Francisco Bay area this past week, but there was no rain at Disneyland, where I took my Girl Scout Troop!!! Five 16yo girls and my co-leader and I. Four full days in the park! Everyone had a great time and I am so ready for the cruise now....well, not ready, as in packed! Tonight is my son's 8th grade graduation and then his party this weekend and THEN I can start packing!!! Looking forward to it! Enjoyed reading about everyone's excitement!
Julie, Redwood City, CA

HELP!!

OK, So we booked the cruise in September. And I signed up for the FEs months ago. But my DS has health issues and has had a rough spring. We thought we'd have to cancel. Last week his docs said he could go, but then I got really sick (thought I had pneumonia) and I've been in bed a week.

So, we leave next Saturday for Vancouver and I've done NOTHING. I have some things booked. And I did buy raincoats for everyone. But that's it. I had so many things I wanted to do to get ready. I'm a disboard disney junkie who usually overplans for trips. I cry every time I think about all of the things I won't get to.

Can you all help me? Where is the list of final FE participants? Where's a good place to buy stuff to make (fast) FEs? Are you all going to be mad if I buy gifts instead of make them? Did someone plan a meet? Are we supposed to bring anything to the meet?

OMG I'm completely stressed out. At least my boys had suits already. I don't even own a dress that fits (I lost a lot of weight this year) so I'll have to fake it for dinners in dress slacks and sweaters. I have no time to shop now. Plus I'm still really sick and not supposed to get out of bed until Monday (docs orders).

What else am I forgetting?? I wish my doctor had prescribed valium instead of antibiotics!!

HELP!!
...OMG I'm completely stressed out. At least my boys had suits already. I don't even own a dress that fits (I lost a lot of weight this year) so I'll have to fake it for dinners in dress slacks and sweaters. I have no time to shop now. Plus I'm still really sick and not supposed to get out of bed until Monday (docs orders).

What else am I forgetting?? I wish my doctor had proscribed valium instead of antibiotics!!
It sounds like you have something similar to what I had a few months ago; I haven't been that sick in years. I was out of work for a week. I tried to come back and my boss sent me home again. I didn't really feel better until weeks later. I hope you recover faster.

Take a breath (not too deep, don't want to set off a coughing fit). I think everyone will understand if you back out of the FE list. Take a few hours instead and hit Penney's or Macy's or whatever is in your area and see if you can find one dress. If you've lost dress sizes, you deserve a new dress and a shipboard photo in that dress showing off your accomplishment. It can be worn for both dress-up nights and for Palo, if you have that booked.

Here's a packing list; have your family help gather the necessary items and help you pack. You'll have to customize it for your family and situation, but it's a place to start. Number one priority is to take care of yourself, don't push too hard or you'll relapse.

Average high temps 61-69/Average low temps 48-52

Casual Clothing (10 days; laundry on Tracy Arm day)
6 outfits: jeans / tops
2 dining room outfits (re-wear)
belt
6 ea undies
2 ea bras
1 ea swimsuit / coverup
1 ea flipflops
Palo outfit, accessories, jewelry
Formal outfit, accessories
Semi-formal outfit, accessories
1 ea PJs
jacket
rain jacket
close-toed shoes / 6 pr socks
shoes for dining room
formal shoes

Toiletries
over-the-door shoe hanger
shampoo / conditioner
soap / bath puff in ziplock
razors
shaving cream
deodorant
4 toothbrushes
toothpaste / floss
brush / comb
curling iron/straightener
clips / bobby pins / hair ties
earplugs
tissues
nail clippers
retainer / case
popup hamper
shout wipes

Meds
Sunscreen / aloe
crystallized ginger / meclazine
allergy pills
Tylenol / ibuprofen / tums
bandaids / antibiotic ointment
glasses / case
reading glasses
contact lens solution / case
extra contact lenses

Electronics
power strip
camera / batteries / charger
waterproof camera / charger
phones / chargers
iPods / headphones / charger
GPS?

Misc. Stuff
$20 singles (tips)
airlines e-ticket receipt
Hotel confirmation+photo id
cruise docs / cruise contract / luggage tags
passports
Disney rewards card
lanyards & cardholders
water wallets
backpack/bag
hat
sunglasses
plastic grocery bags/trash bags
photo mailer (for Shutters Photos)
pins
door magnets
luggage scale
umbrellas

To do ahead of time:
Synchronize clock on all cameras
Charge all batteries
Get cash
Program GPS

Thanks for the list. There are a few things that jumped right out at me. And I added a few things that I need just for my son.

My kids really wanted to do the FEs. They are really into the trip (more so than our usual vacations). I'm not sure if it's because it's a new place and not WDW, or if it's because we've had so much happening around here this year that's it's astonishing that we can actually go on the trip :)

Casual Clothing (10 days; laundry on Tracy Arm day)
6 outfits: jeans / tops I'm bringing an under armour shirt for a warm layer for the kids
2 dining room outfits (re-wear)
belt
6 ea undies
2 ea bras
1 ea swimsuit / coverup
1 ea flipflops
Palo outfit, accessories, jewelry
Formal outfit, accessories
Semi-formal outfit, accessories
1 ea PJs we're going with 2 pj's
jacket
rain jacket
close-toed shoes / 6 pr socks
shoes for dining room
formal shoes
DH says baseball hat required for boys

Toiletries
over-the-door shoe hanger
shampoo / conditioner
soap / bath puff in ziplock
razors
shaving cream
deodorant
4 toothbrushes
toothpaste / floss
brush / comb
curling iron/straightener
clips / bobby pins / hair ties
earplugs
tissues
nail clippers
retainer / case
popup hamper we're brining 2--one for darks/one for lights to make laundry easier
shout wipes
clothes pins
dryer sheets

Meds
Sunscreen / aloe
crystallized ginger / meclazine
allergy pills
Tylenol / ibuprofen / tums getting chewable junior motrin (easier to take on excursions)
bandaids / antibiotic ointment
glasses / case
reading glasses
contact lens solution / case
extra contact lenses
we're bringing anti-itch cream for rashes/bug bites

Electronics
power strip
camera / batteries / charger
waterproof camera / charger
phones / chargers
iPods / headphones / charger
GPS?
nook/charger
clip on reading lights

Misc. Stuff
$20 singles (tips)
airlines e-ticket receipt
Hotel confirmation+photo id
cruise docs / cruise contract / luggage tags
passports
Disney rewards card
lanyards & cardholders
water wallets
backpack/bag
hat
sunglasses
plastic grocery bags/trash bags
photo mailer (for Shutters Photos)
pins
door magnets
luggage scale
umbrellas
ziplocs of all sizes (I pack our undies and such in 2 1/2 gallon ziplocs in the suitcase so TSA doesn't paw through everything if they open our bag
books

To do ahead of time:
Synchronize clock on all cameras
Charge all batteries
Get cash
Program GPS
transfer rewards money
stop mail
email itinerary to family members
let Visa and ATT know we'll be out of country so they don't flag our accounts for fraud

My additions are in red. I hope I have enough luggage :rotfl2:

I have similar lists separated by person. I swear by the pop up hamper. I leave them in the suitcases.

You might want to add pirate night accessories. i have foam hats and eye patches for the kids.

How "formal" are formal nights on Disney? Does anyone know?

Do the laundry machines need quarters or bills only? I thought about packing a roll of quarters also. Might do that anyway to make sure I have them and pennies for pressed penny machines.

Laundry facilities use the KTTW card now. Bring laundry soap. Hmmm, somehow that got removed from my list.

A friend who went on the first Alaska sailing said that there wasn't a majority of people Who dressed up for formal night or pirate night. I'm leaving the pirate stuff at home, but DH rented a tux and the girls and I are planning to dress up. It's really the only time we ever get to do it. Formal night is as dressy as you wish it to be. Your wait staff will be in tuxes. The guests will range from office wear to formal gowns and tuxes.

We leave a week from today to drive to Vancouver! :cool1: The extended forecast is showing rain for that weekend, so I've been researching some indoor alternatives for us in Vancouver.

Jenny, please take care of yourself. I hope you feel better very soon. I am sure that everyone will be understanding if you want to skip the FE or just buy FE gifts. I've lost a lot of weight this past year, too, so I went to Penneys and got a great little black dress to wear on formal night and Palo. I agree with Val, treat yourself to a new dress.

You'll get the important stuff done before the cruise and just let the rest go. The important thing is to get healthy and make some memories with your family. Sending pixie dust pixiedust: your way for rest and good health.

DenverVal and jennypenny thanks for the great packing list...stealing now. This time next Friday we will be in Vancouver and DH will probably be napping like his now. I too am ready for some cooler weather. I am planning on taking DD shopping tomorrow for a couple of dinner outfits. She is my shorts and t-shirt girl. To add to pre-trip stress we got a new puppy last Thursday. DD feel in love with a little chihuahua puppy at the neighborhood vet's. So now I am trying to figure out what to do with him while we are gone. See everyone soon and happy packing.

THIS IS FOR ALL DISers who post anywhere on the DIS Boards and will be sailing the WONDER to Alaska on June 21st.

We will meet on Deck 10 between 3 and 3:30 on Tuesday to get a keyring with a green ribbon attached that will identify you as a DISer so you can greet fellow DISers when you see them. This is very low key.

For those who have signed up for FE, we will also meet then. Look for the slightly plump lady in the Bright Orange Oregon State T-shirt. That will be me. Jenny Penny -- Please don't feel pressured to come up with a handcrafted masterpiece. A box of movie candy per stateroom is more than welcome, or a postcard from your home locale. Make it unique to your geographic area, if possible. Hmmm, isn't Pennsylvania famous for some chocolate called Hershey's? Just an idea.

Final--Final-- Final-- FE list participants

1. JUSTHAT Cabin 8516
Justine adult female
Joey adult male
Maya 9 female
Madison 7 female
Henry 4 male
Scarlett baby female

2. FABUMOUSE Cabin 8546
Mychelle adult female
Aaron adult male
Victoria 13 female
Kailey 10 female
Madeleine 5 female

3. JENNYPENNY 5510, 5512
Karl adult male
Jenny adult female
Holly 15 female
Will 12 male
Jeremy 8 male

4. DCL INAUGURAL XMAS 8530
Denise adult female
Dennis adult male
Scott 20 male
Shelby 19 female
Daniel 13 male
Darrin 13 male

5. GINAMARIE Cabin 5520
Ginamarie adult female
Josh adult male
Olivia 5 female
Salvatore 2.5 male
Owen baby male

6. GINAMARIE 2 Cabin 7001
George adult male
Dawn Marie adult female
Salvatore baby male

7. GINAMARIE 3 Cabin 7509
Rosemarie adult female
Gillian adult female
Guilliette 13 female
Grant 7 male

8. RATT1345 CABIN 2112
Charlie adult male
April adult female

9. JODEJA DECK 2 Two Cabins #2075, 2077
Janell adult female
Son 12 male
Son 10 male
Grandma adult female
Grandpa adult male

10. ILOVEPUMBA CABIN 2568
Joanne adult female
Frank adult male
Blakely 10 female

11. KVEENS CABINS 7501, 7503
Kerri adult female
Steve adult male
Emily 12 female
David 12 male

12. MEERKAT504 Cabin 2614
Ron adult male
Ann adult female
Cooper nearly 3 year old male

13. MSTINSON14 Cabin 2066
Sharon adult female
Sandy adult female
Megan 14 female

14. KATHRYNDAVIS@YAHOO Cabin 5150
Kathy adult female
John adult male
Joshua - age 14 male

15. RosenFam Room 1 (#6576)
John adult male
Terry adult female

16. RosenFam Room 2 (#6645)
Joan adult female
Rob adult male

17. RosenFam Room 3 (#6571)
Corey adult male
Jenny adult female
Henry - 5 - male
Magnolia (goes by Noli) - 3 - female

18. CShaw1 Cabin 7627
Sandy Adult
Daniel 11 male

19. CShaw2 Cabin 1070
Cindy Adult
Dave Adult

Happy Packing!

Kerri

HELP!!

OK, So we booked the cruise in September. And I signed up for the FEs months ago. But my DS has health issues and has had a rough spring. We thought we'd have to cancel. Last week his docs said he could go, but then I got really sick (thought I had pneumonia) and I've been in bed a week.

So, we leave next Saturday for Vancouver and I've done NOTHING. I have some things booked. And I did buy raincoats for everyone. But that's it. I had so many things I wanted to do to get ready. I'm a disboard disney junkie who usually overplans for trips. I cry every time I think about all of the things I won't get to.

Can you all help me? Where is the list of final FE participants? Where's a good place to buy stuff to make (fast) FEs? Are you all going to be mad if I buy gifts instead of make them? Did someone plan a meet? Are we supposed to bring anything to the meet?

OMG I'm completely stressed out. At least my boys had suits already. I don't even own a dress that fits (I lost a lot of weight this year) so I'll have to fake it for dinners in dress slacks and sweaters. I have no time to shop now. Plus I'm still really sick and not supposed to get out of bed until Monday (docs orders).

What else am I forgetting?? I wish my doctor had prescribed valium instead of antibiotics!!

Jenny- You do what it the easiest for you! Your health comes first! Believe me I know. Just found out that I need to have my gallbladder out as soon as we get back from the cruise. Just thankful that as long as I watch what I eat then I'll be ok during the cruise. Of course watching what you eat on a cruise is not the easiest thing to do!!:rotfl2: Joanne:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter