June 21, 2011 - The Wonder breaks the Alaskan icebergs!

Oh my, three weeks to go! I have been so busy with other things that now I am feeling PANICKED! So much to do, and now so little time left to get ready. We have so many other events coming up in the next couple of weeks that every minute seems allocated already.

What are you all packing, clothing-wise? My girls are used to hanging out in shorts, tanks and flip flops. I'm going to have to dig up their winter clothes, I think. Are you planning a mix of clothing? I am trying to plan for a wide range of temperatures.

Being from Wisconsin the wife and I are used to cold weather, but want to pack smart too. Our big question is if we bring our Columbia jackets. They are the 2-part kind where we could wear the outer shell if it's windy and the inside liner if it's just a bit cold. We're still debating on long underwear too.

Jerry

Oh my, three weeks to go! I have been so busy with other things that now I am feeling PANICKED! So much to do, and now so little time left to get ready. We have so many other events coming up in the next couple of weeks that every minute seems allocated already.

What are you all packing, clothing-wise? My girls are used to hanging out in shorts, tanks and flip flops. I'm going to have to dig up their winter clothes, I think. Are you planning a mix of clothing? I am trying to plan for a wide range of temperatures.

Packing? What packing? Am I suppose to start packing now? Oh! dear. I think I will give myself one more week and then start packing. I will bring my Texas weather clothes for onboard use and winter jackets for ports. Do I need my ski jacket? I am afraid of cold.

I pulled out the Columbia jackets and shells, too, to get ready to pack. I received Disney's promotion yesterday for Alaska - and everyone was definitely in down vests and insulated long sleeve shirts for being on deck. And I'm assuming even if the pools are not open, "Ariel Vision" will show movies - and I don't think the blankets they provide will be quite enough.

Last I looked, the expected high temperature in Alaska will be 64 or so - the low, 43.

Factor in a nice ocean wind chill....:scared1:

pixiedust: to Kerri and Carol! I hope that you both get good news.

I took the girls shopping today and got their formal dresses and bathing suits for the cruise. My long underwear arrived in the mail last week. Now I need to get going on my packing list. I can't believe that we leave in less than 3 weeks to drive to Vancouver for our pre-cruise stay!

I know!! It's crazy time now. I finally got my flights and hotel in order, printed out everything, and am going through the piles of clothes to decide what to bring. Bought my husband hiking shoes for our post-trip visit to Washington, new tennis shoes for the young one... I always feel like I'm forgetting something.

Don't forget your over-the-door clear shoe holders!! :thumbsup2

Fabumouse has ANOTHER child coming!!! Congrats on their new addition.

Her name is Victoria...young female.

PLEASE add her to the Fish Extender List.

Ugh. Joey.

Yes - I am bringing Victoria, and yes she will be on the Fish Extender list. But I did not spring forth a 13 year old. :lmao:

Kerri and Carol, I hope you get to hear something today about your potential jobs. Please let us know.

I, too, am worried about clothing. In June, here in FL, it is hot and we aren't thinking about colder weather clothing!!!!:eek:
Can't wait. 18 days and we will be on a plane to Vancouver!!!:cool1:

Charlie

Thanks for reminding me! It wasn't on the packing list. Also, remember your sunscreen and bug spray. Hopefully, the mosquitos won't be out en masse yet, but it's best to be prepared.

Fabumouse gave good advice about the weather and the temperatures. Definitely bring layers. I'm not even going to bother to bring shorts. Long pants and sweatshirts will be our friends on this trip. Dress from the inside out. Long underwear, shirt, long pants, sweatshirt, coat. Then you can peel layers as you warm up. Since we're driving and have the luxury of no luggage restrictions, we're bringing our winter coats, fleece jackets, and rain jackets. If I were flying, I'd bring just the fleece and rain jackets and wear them together if I needed more warmth. I'm also bringing a sweater because I tend to get cold in the dining room and theater sometimes.

3 weeks from today, we'll all be greeting each other onboard!! :cool1:

Our last trip to Anchorage was in September. We brought winter coats but the temps were between 60 and 65. I am assuming that the weather will be similar this time of year. For general day wear, I'm packing long sleeved t shirts and jeans and a zip sweatshirt. We were comfortable with the sweatshirts during the day. I did a boat ride one day and it was much colder out on the water but OK with the coat and gloves. I'm thinking if I need a fleece jacket, I'll just buy one there. I will probably do that anyway. The souvanier shops also sold winter, fleece lined jackets, really nice, for about $40. It's in the mid 90's in the Baltimore area today. I'm looking forward to the cooler climate.

I don't even bring out the long undies until temps are near zero and I anticipate being outside for extended periods. They will stay at home in my closet. I'm thinking long pants, long- and short-sleeved tops, rain jacket, fleece jacket, light gloves and a hat that covers my ears. Our temps have been similar to there recently, and that's been enough for us. My kids wear flip-flops even in the snow, so yeah, flip-flops too.

JUST 3 WEEKS AWAY!!!!

I am so very excited. Sent the "kids" DD23 and DS24 the packing list. They both live out of state and I am so very happy we'll all be together for this trip. I haven't seen my son since Christmas!!

We'll be flying into Seattle on the 20th, (2 of us had free flights on SWA and we're flying in from 3 different airports!), we'll stay in a hotel near the airport, then early on the 21st we're on the Quick Shuttle and arriving at Canada Place by 11:30 am. This was cheaper than having to check 2 bags each on another airline, and since we would be flying in to either Seattle or Vancouver at least a day in advance, nothing lost there.

We did get moved to Main Seating, and coming from the east, that is very helpful. We have inside cabins, wish we could do the verandah, but honestly, I am just so happy to be on the cruise, walking and viewing from the decks will be great too.

We booked a whale watching, a suspension bridge, and a glacier float.

Again, I cannot wait, I'm about ready to pull out the suitcases.

C'mon 3 weeks, Let's go!!!

How ironic that a few of you mention bringing your Columbia Sportswear jackets. That is who I interviewed with and who I was hoping to go to work for. Just got the call about an hour ago that they went with a different candidate. Oh well, must not have been meant to be. Now I have more time to finish up the fish extender gifts and all the end of the school year activities with the kids.

Carol, I hope your news is better!

How ironic that a few of you mention bringing your Columbia Sportswear jackets. That is who I interviewed with and who I was hoping to go to work for. Just got the call about an hour ago that they went with a different candidate. Oh well, must not have been meant to be. Now I have more time to finish up the fish extender gifts and all the end of the school year activities with the kids.

Darn - wish you'd gotten better news. But I'm sure there is a better opportunity out there waiting for you - I will keep my fingers crossed that you get the good news sooner rather than later!

Kerri- I am so sorry you didn't get that job! I'm praying something better will come your way! I know jalapeno peanut brittle is in your future!!:)

Sorry to hear about the job...no job for me either :sad2:. I guess it was just not in the cards. Thanks for all of the pixie dust though. This just means that there is something better out there for us and we have this WONDERful cruise to look forward to :goodvibes.

As far as packing goes it is to early...I am one of those last minute packers anyway. I think I will pack like I did for the Baltic cruise we did last summer...long pants and a jacket. Have to bring the shorts and flip-flops though which is my DD choice of style. I am hoping I can get her in dress for dinner at least. Looking forward to meeting everyone soon :woohoo:

Darn it. So sorry to hear your news Kerri and Carol. To quote Scarlett O'Hara, when God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window. Let's hope that your window opens soon!

Kerri, I am so sorry. Well, that must mean there is a better job out there for you.

Charlie

Yikes - I have to find mine! I packed it away after the last cruise. It sure does come in handy.
We have 2 staterooms this time, so I may need to get another one.

Last I looked, the expected high temperature in Alaska will be 64 or so - the low, 43.

Factor in a nice ocean wind chill....:scared1:

Sounds like summer weather on the Oregon coast! :cool1:

Darn it. So sorry to hear your news Kerri and Carol. To quote Scarlett O'Hara, when God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window. Let's hope that your window opens soon!

Kerri and Carol, so sorry that you did not get hte news you were hoping for. :hug:

Sorry to hear about the job...no job for me either :sad2:. I guess it was just not in the cards. Thanks for all of the pixie dust though. This just means that there is something better out there for us and we have this WONDERful cruise to look forward to :goodvibes.

As far as packing goes it is to early...I am one of those last minute packers anyway. I think I will pack like I did for the Baltic cruise we did last summer...long pants and a jacket. Have to bring the shorts and flip-flops though which is my DD choice of style. I am hoping I can get her in dress for dinner at least. Looking forward to meeting everyone soon :woohoo:

I am so sorry you didn't get the job! We will just have to make sure this is the most WONDERfulest cruise for you!!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter