June 2017 Disneyland Check In!!!

What are your experiences with Grad Night? I was there once about 10 years ago over Grad Nights and don't remember much, pretty sure it has changed anyway.

We are planning to do DCA on Tuesday the 6th (Grad Night)
Disneyland Wednesday (Great Night)
Use Magic Morning for Disneyland Thursday.

Anticipating our pace is going to be very slow we don't have park hoppers. We will probably play it by ear whether or not we take afternoon breaks or just go to bed early. At this point we are not planning to do World of Color, too hard with little kids who mostly won't be able to see. However MSEP is a priority so at least one night will need to accommodate that. Thoughts?

I can appreciate your position. One of our nephews is autistic and his parents have been through the ringer with his behavior. I understand your need to keep him on his schedule, I know routines are key for kids with autism. I'm not sure what you've tried in regards to medication. I understand folks have different opinions on that matter, but I know they had some luck going that route. That said, I'm going to throw a suggestion out there that we used with our kids. Again, not pressing if this is not your thing, I'm just one who likes to know my options so I thought I'd share.

Anyway, when our kids were young (heck, we do it on long flights) and couldn't understand popping their ears and such, we would give them Dramamine before flights. If you've not heard of it before, Dramamine (and Bonine) are over the counter medications that help with motion sickness. Folks mostly use it on boats, but I know some folks who use it for flights because they are hyper sensitive to motion. The difference between Dramamine and Bonine is Dramamine is known to cause drowsiness where Bonine does not. So basically I take Bonine if I want to stay awake and I take Dramamine if I want to sleep. To me it doesn't have a knock out effect, but it does relax me to the point where it's easy to doze off. If it was me and you were open to trying it, obviously I'd consult the doc first, but then maybe consider taking your boy out for a day of driving and try it out then (just so you're not trying it for the first time on your trip). Your mileage may vary, but we always found it to work well and head off any issues with air sickness as well as relaxing both us and the kids.

Yeah...our son did actually throw up when we flew when he was younger. So our pediatrician said we could try children's dramamine. She said it may not help with that type of motion sickness but it would be worth a shot. We will just try it at home beforehand to make sure we don't get any unwanted side effects. Getting him to take it could be tricky. May have to crush it into food or something.

Okay I have made the final decisions on our hotels. I completely forgot I got a bunch of Starwood points from a bad night in a Sheraton in Edmonton so we are using points to stay at the Sheraton Park on Saturday night then we'll grab an Uber or a cab over to the Grand Californian in time for MM on Sunday morning. So now we're paying $0 for 6 nights of hotel stays!

Last edited:

What are your experiences with Grad Night? I was there once about 10 years ago over Grad Nights and don't remember much, pretty sure it has changed anyway.

We are planning to do DCA on Tuesday the 6th (Grad Night)
Disneyland Wednesday (Great Night)
Use Magic Morning for Disneyland Thursday.

Anticipating our pace is going to be very slow we don't have park hoppers. We will probably play it by ear whether or not we take afternoon breaks or just go to bed early. At this point we are not planning to do World of Color, too hard with little kids who mostly won't be able to see. However MSEP is a priority so at least one night will need to accommodate that. Thoughts?

I think we'll be there at the same time - we are arriving on June 5th and leaving June 8th staying at Desert Palms. Everyone kind of has a different view of grad nights. I have been during the first week of June since 2009 and honestly some years are fine and you don't even notice and others you get into a similar park pattern as one of the louder groups and it can be somewhat frustrating. I've never let it bother me to the point that I didn't have a good time. It probably also helps that both my sisters teach high school so they are familiar with the age group and behavior - that helps to take it in stride. I haven't been around high schoolers since I was one and I don't understand them as well as they do so that does help.

If it is run like the last couple of years, the kids will probably be in Disneyland most of the day since the party is held in DCA and they all must be in DCA by 10:00 (??I think that's the cut off). So the day at DCA should be just like any other day but it will start filling up with high school groups as the evening progresses.

Have a great trip!!

I need to stop looking at hotels! :rotfl2:I was looking at the Tropicana rates last night and was tempted because they were quoting a room rate of only $119/night for the days we're going to be there. And then I remembered the daily parking fee. And then I remembered how much my kids want to use the water play are at Hojo's. So I stepped away from the keyboard. Haha!

I just made a reservation for a couple of nights at the end of the month at Park Vue Inn in case I can talk my DH into a quick trip while our DDs are on a trip with their grandparents. I'm not sure if he'll go for it because we have some big projects going on at our house and I'm also trying to arrange for a whole family trip next October. But it would be awfully fun to have a couple of date type days at DLR!

We hit our double digit dance mark yesterday! It's getting closer!

I always think hitting the double digits is the most exciting "milestone" or whatever. I think because I typically start counting down around 250 or 300. (Well, I've been counting down to WDW 2019 since the 1000's...haha!)

With the passing of February we're all that little bit closer! My spreadsheets are coming together! Now if only I knew if the Red Rose Tavern would still be there in June... or if MaxPass would start...

With the passing of February we're all that little bit closer! My spreadsheets are coming together! Now if only I knew if the Red Rose Tavern would still be there in June... or if MaxPass would start...

Hoping Red Rose will still be open. It seems to be a hit, and hey Hyperspace is still around because it's so popular. I really want MaxPass to get underway and get a feel from everyone how it is working. I also really want to know if they are adding Peter Pan to FP as rumored.

Hoping Red Rose will still be open. It seems to be a hit, and hey Hyperspace is still around because it's so popular. I really want MaxPass to get underway and get a feel from everyone how it is working. I also really want to know if they are adding Peter Pan to FP as rumored.

I have my fingers crossed Red Rose stays too, I'm conflicted on MaxPass: it seems like a good system but I don't want to pay extra for it. It won't break the bank for this trip especially since our APs and rooms are all covered and flights were super cheap so our big expense is food but at the same time I think it should be included in at least my AP.

I'll be here in my corner hoping MaxPass doesn't drop until after June. :)

It's not so much that I want it for my trip, it's more that I expect it to come before our June trip and so I'm hoping it comes sooner rather than later so we can learn more about how it will effect our trip and whether or not we would consider using it.

It's not so much that I want it for my trip, it's more that I expect it to come before our June trip and so I'm hoping it comes sooner rather than later so we can learn more about how it will effect our trip and whether or not we would consider using it.

Yeah, if it has to happen before the trip, I want it to be as soon as possible, so we at least know what we're dealing with. That said, I've got a number of concerns. I know it's all speculation at this point, but I likely won't pay for the option at $40 per day for all 5 days we're there. I can't justify it simply for extra fastpass options. I also hope if they're rushing it to production that they have the infrastructure to support it. Cellular network and/or wifi access concerns me. Not because I'm concerned about using my data, but because if the network is crushed, no-one will get anything done on their phones. The linking or not linking of the parks and exactly how that's implemented is another wrinkle that puts me in the camp of if I have to deal with this, I'd prefer it get out in the wild now, rather than starting up on Memorial Day weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter