June 2012 Car Rental Question

jcvalenti

Epcot OG
We're going down from June 20 through July 2 and staying offsite. I've been looking at Car rentals since December, and the rates seem exceptionally high for that time of year. Until this weekend, the best I could swing was $540 for a fullsize during that time.

Recently, I found a good deal from Avis on a "standard" sized car - a Fusion or similar for $320. We've got a family of four, but I'm a big guy (6'3" 290) and my 12 year old son takes up some space himself. We need room for 2 big suitcases, 2 small and a stroller. Any rent a car in a similar situation who could tell us if the Fusion might work ? Or would we be too cramped ?

We're spending a few days at Universal this time, so we've got to pack up the car a few times, so I don't want to be shoehorning bags onto people's laps. If the standard size might be too small, using the same coupon I can upgrade to a premium full sized (like an Avalon) for the same as my current full sized rental.

Any advice appreciated.

If you hunt around, you'll find better deals. I like Avis a lot because they are so easy to get to when exiting the airport. If you join their little club, whatever it is called, you don't have to go to the rental counter.

You won't need a car during your Uni stay. Uni transportation is not like Disney's. It is quicker than driving and much prettier. You'd be nuts to spend all the time it would take to drive there. Disney, OTOH, is a place I drive.

Thanks for the links.

The last few times I checked through Mousesaver, I wasn't able to get anywhere close to the deals I got on Costco, but this time around, I found some better deals for sure. Couldn't replicate a $169 for a small SUV, but I'm not sure a small SUV would work anyway. On the otherhand, I did get a Full-Sized SUV at AVIS for 12+ days for $450 out the door (with taxes).

I do like Avis because they, as a policy, allow spouses to drive for no extra charge. That's always handy in case I am accidentally overserved at Via Napoli.

As far as Universal, I won't be driving anywhere while there - I just need a car to get there. For the 48 hours we're there, I don't even anticipate using the car.

Going to pop this over to the Transportation board as the nice folks there should be able to help :)

Go to expedia.ca. I just booked a Standard from June 23 - July 8 for $232 incl tax!

June 8th-June18th. Had booked yesterday through Dollar for 191 for a Standard for 10 days. Just switched to Alamo after seeing someone else's post. Alamo base rate after using 35 dollar coupon and Amex 15% off code is 91.59 and with fees/taxes 149.39.:banana:

June 8th-June18th. Had booked yesterday through Dollar for 191 for a Standard for 10 days. Just switched to Alamo after seeing someone else's post. Alamo base rate after using 35 dollar coupon and Amex 15% off code is 91.59 and with fees/taxes 149.39.:banana:

What's the Amex code? I always rent with my Amex.

Get 15% off your next AMEX car rental with Alamo. Use Alamo Contract ID 7014291. Expires 12/31/12. Found on carrentalsavers.com and also on the Alamo website.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter