June 18th Southwest ABD - LOVED IT

mcgrawfamily

Earning My Ears
We just returned last weekend from the June 18th ABD Southwest Tour. We all loved it. My 10 year old son said it was the best vacation ever. There was 39 people on the tour and we all bonded immediately. Great group of children and teens. The youngest was 8 and the oldest 16. We were one of the groups that stayed at the Maswik lodging at the Grand Canyon. The rooms were decent size, carpet seemed new and shower was great. Favorite hotel was by far Red Cliffs in Moab. Very scenic and peaceful.

Trip highlights:

Guides Maura and Diana were outstanding.

Bus driver Dan - kept us safe on all the winding roads and participated in converstations and group dinners.

White water rafting on the Colorado River - fabulous!

Staying on the south rim of the canyon. We saw condors and elk.

Delicate Arch hike.

I can't really say anything negative about the trip. Would highly recommend it. This was our second ABD and we all agree we want to try another.

Feel free to ask any questions. I am organizing a shutterfly website with pictures that I can attach later.

Gald to hear you had a great time. Everyone always does:goodvibes
We leave in just over a month Aug 5:banana:

me/DH/DD 14/DS 11.

I wanted to know what was the reason you were in the Maswik Lodge?

Did others stay in the Thunderbird?

Also what did you do during your free time at Grand canyon and Moab

And where did you eat for your free time meals.

And how much did the extra meals and activities add to the cost?

Ok I am nosey, but I like to be prepared (A type planner)

Thanks for your reply

Dismiss

So glad you had such a great time on SWS! It's still my favorite ABD itinerary!

Waking up on the Rim of the Grand Canyon still sounds so cool to me! We stayed out in Tusayan, which was fine and gave us a chance to see the Imax about the Grand Canyon. But some day I'll stay on the Rim...

What was the other ABD you did?

Sayhello

Gald to hear you had a great time. Everyone always does:goodvibes
We leave in just over a month Aug 5:banana:

me/DH/DD 14/DS 11.

I wanted to know what was the reason you were in the Maswik Lodge?

Did others stay in the Thunderbird?
Dismiss

dismiss, I asked ABD about the hotels several months ago because the website no longer listed The Thunderbird specifically as the hotel at the Grand Canyon. Only the June 18, June 25, and July 2nd trips are staying at the Maswik. All other dates are at the Thunderbird.

Dismiss, sorry for the late response. Yes Bobo12 is correct; certain dates stay at the Maswik. It was about a 10 minute walk to the rim and El Tovar but the rooms were more updated than the Thunderbird and the bathroom area larger. There is also a mini-fridge and I think a microwave but we didn't use either.

During our free time at the Canyon we did the helicopter ride with another family. Most people in our group did the helicopter and those who didn't hiked for a tad into the canyon. In Moab we did the ATV ride but truthfully I would have been happy just hanging at the pool that afternoon. It was in the 100's and we had hiked to the Delicate Arch that morning so by the end of the ATV we were exhausted. ATV ride was nice just quite a lot for one day. Others did horseback riding and seemed to like that too.

For the free time meals at the Canyon we ate lunch and dinner at El Tovar. Had the pork with prickly pear cactus BBQ and it was outstanding. We had a table right by the window for dinner and looked out onto the canyon - it was awesome. Lunch was around $54 and dinner (with wine) $160. A few people on the trip ate lunch at the Maswik cafeteria and liked it. For Sedona we ate dinner in the Saddle Club which is the "adult" dining part of the Cowboy Club. However they didn't care that our 10 year old son was with us. It was very peaceful and we loved the food. HIghly recommend the prickly pear cactus margarita as well and we are more beer/wine drinkers.

As far as cost ATV was around $395 plus a tip for the three of us and helicopter was most expensive at $750 for the 55 minute ride. Meal for three with wine at the Cowboy Club was $200.

Sayhello - yes agree that staying on the rim is the way to go. We really enjoyed this part of the trip. This ABD does stop (on way to canyon) to eat lunch and see the the movie on the canyon at the Imax. Everyone really enjoyed both. The resort workers at the hotels on the rim told us you need to book a room over a year in advance to stay on the rim. Worth it!!!

Our other ABD was Backstage Magic in 2009. We liked that one as well but would have to put Southwest as #1 so far. We are waiting to see what is offered in 2012 but also want to eventually do Germany and Italy.

Anyone do the Wyoming trip? Our son really liked seeing the national parks and thought that ABD might be a nice one to hit as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter