June 18, 2012 WONDERs of Alaska

Happy Mothers Day all! I hope that you all have had great days! Not much longer 'till we're on our way!!!

Hello All! Just checking in...a bit late, perhaps. You can add us to the roster, though.

wselman: David, Wendy, DS Max (11), and DS Rowan (4)

We cruised the Wonder to Alaska last June and are so excited to be doing it AGAIN.

I haven't read previous posts, so apologize if I am repeating anything here:

A few thoughts on what livened up our last cruise...

FISH EXTENDER:
The Fish Extender game is so much fun. We did it last year. if anyone else missed the cutoff, and you have kids, know that it is simple enough to play the "game" solo. I know some people get very crafty and make the neatest cruise keepsakes. But it is simple enough to make or buy an FE ( it can be anything with a pocket(s) and a way to hang it). Hang your FE on the fish hanger outside your stateroom door for your kids, and while they are in the kids clubs each day, put various treats or favors in the bag for them. They will be so thrilled to find the treats outside their door when they return to the room.

MAGNETS:
Don't forget to bring magnets for your stateroom door. My kids like to do an online search for various clip art images. We print the images on card stock, cut them out, and apply sticky magnet tape. When we board the ship, the kids have so much fun "decorating" and personalizing the stateroom door.

-Wendy :)

Welcome Wendy!

I have a DS11 (Dominic) too! I am hoping to introduce the kids the first day so they have some familiar faces in their clubs.
And you could be a great resource for our questions since you sailed this cruise last year!

We did cut off the FE exchange list a couple weeks ago, but I do agree about the magnets. We like to print off stuff on the magnetic paper to put on the door too.

If I remember right the Cruise Docs go to the Travel Agents first then they mail them out....? Do they still do this?
At first I was thinking, "whatever" with the cruise docs, much of it is redundant as we check in on line, but I forgot about the luggage tags! That will be fun!

I remember our first cruise when we got our docs in a cute treasure chest like box. They were a big deal since there was not really anything online. And we didn't get them until 2 weeks out or so, so really close to blast off!

Will certainly be checking the mail tomorrow. I am expecting some other important stuff too... Postman better come through!

Did you all hear that there is NO Pirate night on our cruise?!?!
I knew they couldn't do fireworks, but to scrap the whole evening?
Frankly, I wasn't going to go anyway, after 4 previous cruises, it was usually a stretch to get there from second seating dinner anyway... and deal with the crowds.... plus we are pretty far from the Caribbean!

I am sure we will all have enough to do!

Hope you all had a great Mother's Day!
We spent it in Puyallup at my 91 year old Grandma's house. Yea Grandma!

The "mountain was out" on this bright, warm sunny day! (Which is what Western Washingtonians say when Mt. Rainier is visible. It's seriously a huge back drop to a beautiful part of the country!) I definitely recommend to anyone with an extra day before or after the cruise to drive up to Paradise!

Marcy

I hope everyone got spoiled:rolleyes1

As for the Mickey mail, we have not received any as of yet and we live west of Portland. I hope that mail man brings it to me tomorrow too!:grouphug:

I have one of two FE made, and no, they are not really fancy, but they are made with a lot of love. I just hope they work!

Takeing a trip up to the Seattle area for Memorial Day weekend, maybe plan a few things to do before the cruise as we plan to head up on the 15th, before the cruise. Nice having family we can stay with, saves us cash for the cruise:yay:

Welcome Wendy and family! I am excited to meet new people on our vacation. I think that helps makes a vacation an adventure and the more people you meet the more you gain from that adventure.

Sorry to hear no pirate night. I had a horrible headache on our MR cruise last March and missed that night. Oh well, I am certain there will be lots of fun to be had.

take care all, meet you soon:wave2:

JoLynn

good morning!

We are attempting to make some crafts for our gifts. I am really excited to make them and am hoping they turn out well.

We are in room 1075 and have zero allergies.

We are coming all the way from Ohio and are hoping the time change isnt too much on all of us. At least we will feel like we are sleeping in every morning.

Was there somewhere on the cruise documents that said which dinner you were assigned? I guess now that I hold them I can research some more.

good morning!

Was there somewhere on the cruise documents that said which dinner you were assigned? .

If you log into your reservations online, you can click on view details under the statement 34 days until your cruise sets sail.

on that next page, it will show you what dining time you have: main or late(I believe that is what they call it, but IDK as we usually book main)

See you soon, hope this helps!
JoLynn:banana:

Welcome to the group, Wendy! I added you to the roster in the first post, and thanks for the suggestions! I can add that having a few magnets on your door makes it a lot easier to find your cabin when you stayed out a little too late!

If you log into your reservations online, you can click on view details under the statement 34 days until your cruise sets sail.

on that next page, it will show you what dining time you have: main or late(I believe that is what they call it, but IDK as we usually book main)

See you soon, hope this helps!
JoLynn:banana:

thank you!

Welcome to the group, Wendy! I added you to the roster in the first post, and thanks for the suggestions! I can add that having a few magnets on your door makes it a lot easier to find your cabin when you stayed out a little too late!

LOL :rotfl2:

I can add that having a few magnets on your door makes it a lot easier to find your cabin when you stayed out a little too late!

:rotfl2: Yea, did you see my door from my B-day on our last cruise? (See post #199 page 14 of this thread). It was a great celebration and when you are on a deck like 2, 6, 7, or 8 that are pretty much all staterooms, decor certainly helps!

To all FE exchange participants - I sent out a PM with the complete list including a schedule. If you didn't get it, it may be because you have to have a minimum number of posts to do private messages. Post up a few more times!:thumbsup2

I was wondering just where the Wonder was, is, and will be... 'cause her schedule is kinda crazy right now...
She got back to San Pedro (Los Angeles) today from a 2 week voyage to Hawaii. She departed today to reposition, sailing up the west coast arriving in Vancouver, BC on the 21st. Guess they fenagled a parking spot one more time there.
Next trip is to Alaska then back to Seattle. I couldn't help but think - if I would drive to Vancouver to get on the ship, then have to get back up there to get the car upon returning to Seattle? Park in Seattle and pay for a "transfer" to Vancouver so my car was where we get back to? Train?
It's just that for a repo cruise, the ports are so close!

Anyway, it's another reason I am so glad to be on a round trip out of Seattle! I couldn't have dreamed up a more convenient DCL cruise!:goodvibes

HOT here now!:sunny: It dawned on me that I will actually enjoy a break from the summer heat by heading up to Alaska! It will still hot summer here when we get back!
After a Mexican Riveria, Bahamian, Western Carib., and an Eastern Carib., this will be the first time I pack blue jeans!

Sorry about all the rambling! I just finally took some time to chat to you all!
I definitely look forward to meeting you all. At some point, I will quiz myself on actual names, not just screen names!

Marcy

On my previous Disney cruises we have always had a veranda stateroom, but this time we are going to try an inside stateroom - I don't know how well we would sleep through the white nights in an outside stateroom.

Curtain Clips:

That reminds me, when we cruised Alaska last year, we used chip clips to hold the blackout curtains closed. They definitely helped reduce the light from outside.

Wendy

:):):) Being that close to the food & drink station would be nice! We are going to be in 8000 (wanted to be able to watch the captain on the bridge!). I figure that with as much as I manage to eat on the cruise, I better get some exercise somewhere! :rotfl2:

Hot breakfast in bed for those in the aft? My that is tempting. Have to go off my past experience here because I don't like trying to lose weight! Though I ate somewhat more (okay, a lot more) than usual when we cruised Alaska last year, I didn't gain any weight over the course of the week. So I'm sticking with Deck 8, forward, walking a long way to the food, and using the stairs. Oh, and I never even saw the fitness center. :yay:

Don't hate me for posting the above...

I will still be thinking of that hot breakfast in bed. :)

Hi all...

I recently received an interesting trip report from a friend I made throught these cruise meets threads several years ago. They recently traveled out of the LA area -- where they live, on a West Coast local voyage on Princess Cruise Lines. She and her husband are in their mid to late 40's.

I think this report and others like it has a lot to do with why I prefer Disney until I am of an age to feel like I don't ever want to be the youngest person on the ship!

"For sure you will not want to take your kids on Sapphire Princess. (at tleast the 7 day Coastal that we did). The average age on our cruise was 70-80! They also complained a lot. We were the young ones. Lots didn't dress up for formal night and the ones that did wore pants and sparkle tops. Hardly any dresses.
The food was ok, but didn't messure up to Carnival or Disney. No activities worth going to. The ship was really pretty, but all the dining rooms basically look the same and all the bars were pretty much empty. Soooo many walkers, scooters, wheelchairs, etc... on board. We only used the elevator twice as it took so long to get one. Going from deck 5 to 14 on the stairs was a killer for my thighs and lungs though! Whew....getting old!

I lost 10lbs before we left and gained 7lbs, so yes we did eat. The breakfast buffet was the worst one on any of our cruises, but the lunch buffet was pretty good.
Loved San Francisco and Ensenada (our most sunny days, but still pretty cool) San Diego and Santa Barbara too were pretty nice to see.

Our room steward was ok, but forgot ice twice and it took awhile for our dining team to warm up. But with tablemates switching all the time I don't blame them. We were traveling with a friend from work and his girlfriend.

The first two nights at our table for dinner we had 2 couples that were in their 80's. Both women were really scary looking with makeup drawn on all over their faces. The one man (Shemp) was hard of hearing and in a wheel chair and the other had glassy eyes and stared at his plate barely talking all night.

They switched to another dining room because it was too far and hard for them to get to our dining room. The next night we had a lady (in a walker) and her husband (in a wheel chair who had a stroke and couldn't really talk but kep trying to) join us and they were really demanding. I remembered seeing them trying to get off the ship in port and she was crying and having a tantrum because they were having problems. The rest of the cruise they filled in the other 4 chairs with other old couples off and on as they were lost and didn't know where they were suppose to be!

So....overall, it was great to be cruising again, but Prncess won't be my first choice. I know they are coming to Calif in 2013 with 4 day cruises, so I just may be on one again, but with the shorter cruise, shouldn't be so many older people."

I am so spoiled! I sticking with DCL for now!!

Marcy

HEY!!! Sorry we haven't been checking in!! LOTS of end of school activities!!
One month till we fly across country to Seattle!!! CAN NOT WAIT!! Mom got our package of DCL stuff in the mail last week!!
Sorry for all the !!!! but I am SOOOOOO EXCITED!!!
ok I had posted earlier our room number which is 7004 and Hubby and I are both on Dairy free and Gluten free diets!! Newly diagnosed, so happy our cruise is on Disney!!!!
I didn't receive a final PM about the counts and rooms.
WHOOHOO west coast here we come!!!
Christy

Hi MamaT1T2T1,
We too are flying across country in 30 days!!!! Soooo can't wait!!!!

School's starting to wind down for this teacher. I administered my last state test yesterday morning, and turned my IEP's into our district office today! More than half of our 8th graders leave for Washington, DC in a couple of days for 4 days, so things will be slow for those of us that aren't going. I just might make it yet. :)
Only 11 more full days of school for us!!:banana:

I 've seen conflicting reports about Pirate night. A few that have called DCL reported no Pirate night, but a few others have reported no pirate night menu, Taste of Alaska menu instead, but there still being a party. Last years Alaska cruises did not have a pirate night menu, but there were differnt reports of how a pirate party was held (indoors, outdoors, etc.) However we already knew no fireworks. I guess we'll have to wait until we get reports back from the first cruisers this year...

BTW MamaT1T2T1 you may need to make a few more posts in order to get PM's.

see ya real soon!

L

Very excited here too! We are getting closer!

Christy, I can email u the FE exchange list... I know your post count needs to be 10+ to send Private Messages, not sure about receiving them... at least that many. When u get there, i can resend through PM.

So, yea, Pirate night or not?
All I know is that we had such a great one last year IN the Caribbean, that I could take it or leave it. I am for sure leaving the outfits home!

sc01f4cb02.jpg

Marcy

Nice pirate picture!
Personally not a big deal for me where pirate night is concerned, but DD can't wait. She's already planning her piraty outfit, so for her I hope we get something she'll be excited about.

Curtain Clips:

That reminds me, when we cruised Alaska last year, we used chip clips to hold the blackout curtains closed. They definitely helped reduce the light from outside.

Wendy

That sounds like a great tip especially since we will be having lots of long daylight hours. I could use that tip even in hotel rooms when we are "trying" to sleep in a bit.

Very excited here too! We are getting closer!

Christy, I can email u the FE exchange list... I know your post count needs to be 10+ to send Private Messages, not sure about receiving them... at least that many. When u get there, i can resend through PM.

So, yea, Pirate night or not?
All I know is that we had such a great one last year IN the Caribbean, that I could take it or leave it. I am for sure leaving the outfits home!

sc01f4cb02.jpg

Marcy

Looks like you all had a great time!

We just finished installing Elfa closet system in out master closet. I spend much of yesterday taking everything out of our closet then today much of the afternoon putting it all back pixiedust: (well not all of it, just the stuff I decided to keep). ok, Now I need this vacation!:beach:

Ok, I am officially excited!:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter