• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

June 14, 2014 - Taking the Magic to Venice

I've been on 8 cruises (this will be my first Disney cruise, my kids 3rd) and I have never gotten trip insurance. And I'm not getting it this time either.
I assume with your experiences you have seen people who have had trips cancelled or been injured. You do know your US Health insurance probably doesn't cover any injuries or illnesses in Europe, right? Penny wise; pound foolish.

Here are several reasons for hiring a private car, driver, and guide in the port cities:
1. You can pick and choose exactly what sites you want to see and can make adjustments on the fly.
2. Your driver probably will have a special pass allowing him/her to drive right up to the venues to drop you off and come back to pick you up.
3. The company will purchase your entrance passes to specific sites, thus allowing you to avoid queues. They purchase it with your money, of course.
4. Comfort. Depending on your party size, you'll be in a Mercedes car or van, or some other top end car/van.
5. You will have a guide for the venues you wish to have one. You specifically asked about Pompeii and on my last trip we met our guide there early and were there before the crowds hit. In fact, since there was just two of us and a private guide, we were allowed to go into an area that was still being worked on and closed to the public. We will have several guides, including The Vatican, The Coliseum, Pompeii, The Academe in Florence, etc. and our guides will move at a pace we want.
6. Your driver and/or guide can make lunch and snack suggestions.
7. Your driver will get as close as possible to the port to pick you up and drop you off which saves time by getting out earlier and coming back later which allows more sightseeing. They get through traffic a bit easier also...although I have been on a few tour buses where the drivers could have competed in the Indianapolis 500 or parked in a compact car space.
8. No waiting for 55 people to get off and on the bus for sites and potty breaks.
9. You can get special activities. We will have a chance to send the kids into an Italian restaurant kitchen where they will show them how they make pizza and pasta.
10. We are taking the kids to the beach in the south of France.
Wow, this has become a David Letterman TOP 10 list....sorry

I've read some posts here by Disney veterans so they know the ropes better than I do. This will be my third cruise (first Disney one). I was on a ship about this size in the Mediterranean that covered several islands and North Africa. We did hit Barcelona but no other of these places. I have flown or driven to most of the places on this cruise several times (only Dubrovnik and Corfu are new). My other cruise was on a small ship (60 passengers and 55 crew members) from Istanbul to Athens. If you thought you needed something on that cruise, the crew had it for you before you could tell them.

I've used private drivers and guides in Italy, Germany, and England...they are worth it if you want to maximize you sightseeing and understand of the areas.

I have no dog in this race and will not get anything for this recommendation, but the company I use is driverinitaly. com and the contact name is Roberto (I had to split up the link for some reason). I have used them before and was very pleased. I am using him again for this trip in the south of France, Florence, Rome, Naples, Catania, Dubrovnik, and maybe Venice (the jury is still out on that one).

Hope this helps you...I apologize for the length of this thing. If you are going on Disney excursions in any or all of these places, I found the price to be competitive most of the time but it is expensive either way. We are obviously doing a lot of them, but you can pick and choose. Who knows if I'll ever get to make another trip like this with my grandchildren, so I am making it memorable for them and me.

We have been confirmed for our Meet and Greet:dance3:

Saturday June 14th from 2:30 - 3:30 in O'Gills.

If you plan on attending but haven't rsvp'd yet, please pm me with:

Name(s)
Number of Adults or kids, and ages of kids
Cabin number (optional)
Home location (or at least country, but still optional)

If you are on Facebook, you can also pm me there, or post a comment on the event page with your info:wizard:

Well, an official meet and greet is in the works, tentatively on the 14th. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I am collecting names, number, attending, if any are kids, and cabin numbers to give to another member who is getting a form to send into DCL. To sign up, either PM me here with the info or go to the events page on FB, RSVP there and pm your details on FB.

Should be fun! :wave2::wave2:

Just wondering with all you experienced cruisers, how much money should I budget per day? There is 6 of us 2 adults and 4 kids. Yes we drink alcohol etc. I know its a personal question but I was wondering if people could give me a low and highest amount per day. We never cruised before.

Just wondering with all you experienced cruisers, how much money should I budget per day? There is 6 of us 2 adults and 4 kids. Yes we drink alcohol etc. I know its a personal question but I was wondering if people could give me a low and highest amount per day. We never cruised before.

We are 6 as well. Between wine, other drinks, Palo reservations, and other spending money... I've budgeted about $115 per day. I expect to go over, of course.

Not an experienced Disney cruiser, but I have been to Disney parks enough to know it will be expensive. I guess you just use the included food and drinks to keep the cost down. I am sure the bars, which I will visit sometime, are also costly.

Breakfast on the ship before heading out sightseeing (might have to enjoy a quality pastry in town--find a small neighborhood bakery for the best), pay for lunch in town (the food is magnificent--not that it won't be good on the ship), dinner back on the ship.

I just figure since it is Disney it will be 20-25% more than anywhere else. But, the kids will love the atmosphere on and off the ship and the adults will love the sightseeing in Europe. Worth doing once.

Hello,
It is still possible to sign up for the Fish Extender game? My mom and I are on the cruise leaving Barcelona on June 14th. Any help would be great! Thanks so much, Julie:)

Hello,
It is still possible to sign up for the Fish Extender game? My mom and I are on the cruise leaving Barcelona on June 14th. Any help would be great! Thanks so much, Julie:)

HELLO Julie

Welcome at the very last minute! There are Fish Extender Groups and I think they are up to group 3 (I personally aren't involved in that).

There is not much action on the Disboard for this cruise it seems but the Facebook page is very active and everything seem so to be organised through that.

This the link to the Facebook page but it's closed group and you will have to ask to join and then you can go into the Files at the top of the page and see the various groups and meets for the cruise.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/562707577080921/

HOpe you are lucky

See you Saturday!

Hello,

Hi Julie, sorry to say that the FE groups have been closed off for a bit already. Many from the Group are already in BCN or are arriving there over the next few days. Enjoy the cruise :cloud9:

This was such an awesome cruise, our first on Disney Magic, especially due to the FB cruise group.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter